gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 10:45:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 257 258 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1740505 times)
Jason
« Reply #6300 on: September 07, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »

There's an acetate of Child Is Father Of The Man from late '66 that runs about 1:45 that's been on boots for years. If this is the same version on the box set, I don't know. It doesn't have any lead vocals but it does have fuller vocals on the chorus fade.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: September 07, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »

No, it is different - the bits just before that string break, with the horn swells and stuff aren't vintage '66/67, as Purple Chick use it in their mix.

one listen to AlternateBrianWilson Presents Smile solves how i hope they do it.  that's one of my favorite parts of that mix
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6302 on: September 07, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

5. I'm In Great Shape  (no vocals)
6. Barnyard (missing verse vocals)

Couldn't you just fly in the vocals from the Humble Harv demo?

As proven by Purple Chick, it would sound pretty bad...the piano from the Humble Harv tape would be overpowering.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6303 on: September 07, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

I'm still really curious about the Child acetate. I know I've seen others talk about it before the box set was announced, AGD has spoken of a Child mix that was to appear on Hawthorne. Was he talking about the same thing? It seems odd to me, if that acetate did include original lyrics, why weren't they used on BWPS? Is it possible that the acetate has "guide vocals" and no actual lyrics?

If I said Hawthorne CA, my bad - I meant Endless Harmony, and no, different thing entirely: 11/66 BW mono mix & edit, lasts 3.03. Superb. No vocals at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6304 on: September 07, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »

I'd think so, even though the HH tape is mono (unless they found the multitrack).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: September 07, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »

I'd wager HH is on there. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: September 07, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »

5. I'm In Great Shape  (no vocals)

As proven by Purple Chick, it would sound pretty bad...the piano from the Humble Harv tape would be overpowering.

I think that AGD, somewhere above, said that Mark Linett has used vocal-isolating software before (in the 2000 version of WIBN) - and thus he could probably do the same thing with this.

Since the lyrics were written on the RSD GV vinyl (at least for Barnyard), I think it's a good bet that they found the vocals for that song - why would they give us a tease about flying vocals in from a demo?

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:38:10 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: September 07, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »

We have to remember too that what's going to be released is an approximation of the finished 1967 SMiLE. That's been stated many times. Also what's being released is The SMiLE Sessions[/i not SMiLE. That being said if it means they have to fly in demo vocals to make up for the missing vocal parts than so be it. As long as it flows and sounds like a coherent album that's all that matters to me. If the track listing and the ending of H&V have shown us anything it's expect the unexpected.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: September 07, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »

I think that AGD, somewhere above, said that Mark Linett has used vocal-isolating software before (in the 2000 version of WIBN) - and thus he could probably do the same thing with this.

Since the lyrics were written on the RSD GV vinyl (at least for Barnyard), I think it's a good bet that they found the vocals for that song - why would they give us a tease about flying vocals in from a demo?

Just my opinion.

If they did indeed find vintage lead vocals for that song, I believe "False Barnyard" will be known as "Barnyard" once again. 

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: September 07, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »

Just my opinion.

If they did indeed find vintage lead vocals for that song, I believe "False Barnyard" will be known as "Barnyard" once again. 

False Barnyard will never be known as Barnyard, because it isn't Barnyard, and never will be.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: September 07, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »

I'm still really curious about the Child acetate. I know I've seen others talk about it before the box set was announced, AGD has spoken of a Child mix that was to appear on Hawthorne. Was he talking about the same thing? It seems odd to me, if that acetate did include original lyrics, why weren't they used on BWPS? Is it possible that the acetate has "guide vocals" and no actual lyrics?

If I said Hawthorne CA, my bad - I meant Endless Harmony, and no, different thing entirely: 11/66 BW mono mix & edit, lasts 3.03. Superb. No vocals at all.

I wonder why this mix wasn't included in the box set? 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: September 07, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »

I'd think so, even though the HH tape is mono (unless they found the multitrack).

Hope they did - One would like to think that the motivation for this set, rather than the certain death of the record industry, is the fact they have the resources finally to present the majority of Smile tracks in 'complete' forms such as multitracks, acetates, etc, that were previously lost. All will be revealed, I'm sure.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: September 07, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »

Wasn't the mastering for TLOS and BWPS UK albums different to the US albums, hence there was a noticeable difference in quality?

My EC pressing of TLOS was utterly unlistenable until I ripped it to my iPod (seriously). My US version was, and is, just fine.

That's highly weird.  Surely -- because mastering is SO expensive -- the album wouldn't have been mastered twice?  There's no good reason for that.  Presumably, though, the pressings are different.  In which case, could something in the pressing process have compromised the sound?  Plenty a cheap polymer has krunked a disc along the way.  (I'm looking at you, PDO.)

My only explanation (and it's not a good one) is they sent over the download master by mistake.

I don't think records are ever mastered for download differently than CD. I don't think mastering is as painfully expensive as the original poster said when compared to other aspects of a record being finished, thus it's not unlikely that two masters were done or that the UK version was an incorrect master.

They maybe aren't.  But an album mastering session costs (if my experience at Metropolis, London, is anything to go by) north of £6,000 a pop.  And it involves enough work to not be replicated.  One master is enough per format.  Especially in the post-broadband world.  The logistical is the bigger question: why master anything twice?  One digital (ie CD, download), one vinyl (if needed, because it needs a careful balance of low-end etc) -- what else?  An 'incorrect' master implies an error of colossal proportions: the Holland error is one of such dimension.  But more than one master (for only one format) was prepared for that.  So that's a straight baby-swap in the maternity ward.  An error along those lines for TLOS is way, way, more unlikely.  Especially on this scale. 

(Having said that, I've never quite understood the two-fer mix-up between 'Ol' Man River' and 'Ol' Man River,' when the CD version of one would have adequately done for the other, yet, apparently, didn't.)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: September 07, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »

Whats this about Ol' Man River?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: September 07, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »

Whats this about Ol' Man River?

two versions. one on the earlier twofer, one on the later.
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6315 on: September 07, 2011, 05:40:24 PM »

Okay, so here are a few questions coming from someone who is relatively new to all this, if you have the patience. Besides the obvious songs which will have vocals, and Barnyard and I'm in Great Shape, which could potentially have vocals flown in from the demo, which ones do we know will definitely without a doubt have no vocals?

Verse vocals on Do You Like Worms?

Look?

Verse vocals on Child...?

I Wanna Be Around?

Holidays?

Love to Say Dada?

I'm not sure which lyrics were new to BWPS, or which ones were old but never recorded originally. Also, according to Wikipedia, when "Surf's Up" was done for the '71 album, that's the when "Child, Father of the Man" lyrics were recorded and added to the end. Is that the case? And so will they be on the version on TSS?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: September 07, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »

Okay, so here are a few questions coming from someone who is relatively new to all this, if you have the patience. Besides the obvious songs which will have vocals, and Barnyard and I'm in Great Shape, which could potentially have vocals flown in from the demo, which ones do we know will definitely without a doubt have no vocals?

Look?

I Wanna Be Around?

Holidays?

Love to Say Dada?

I'm not sure which lyrics were new to BWPS, or which ones were old but never recorded originally. Also, according to Wikipedia, when "Surf's Up" was done for the '71 album, that's the when "Child, Father of the Man" lyrics were recorded and added to the end. Is that the case? And so will they be on the version on TSS?

From what I remember around the time of BWPS there was some talk about headphone bleed and "Child Is Father Of The Man" vocals.  Not sure if anything came of that but that was a hot topic of discussion around here for awhile.  I believe the "Child" vocals on BWPS are modern lyrics by VDP.  Worms had verse vocals written by VDP but were never tracked by The Beach Boys.  The others tracks I believe all had modern vocals written for BWPS.

Edit: Regarding "Surf's Up", I'll bet you a doughnut that the "Child" vocals tracked in 1971 are included on the main portion of the program.  The wordless falsetto will obviously remain intact on the familiar demo version of the song as found on the boxset.  For what it's worth never loved the 71' additions as the wordless falsetto has always been one of my favorite moments in the Beach Boys music rivaling the ending of "You Still Believe In Me".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:53:27 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: September 07, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »

Look?

I Wanna Be Around?

Holidays?

Love to Say Dada?

From what I remember around the time of BWPS there was some talk about headphone bleed and "Child Is Father Of The Man" vocals.  Not sure if anything came of that but that was a hot topic of discussion around here for awhile.  I believe the "Child" vocals on BWPS are modern lyrics by VDP.  Worms had verse vocals written by VDP but were never tracked by The Beach Boys.  The others tracks I believe all had modern vocals written for BWPS.

Edit: Regarding "Surf's Up", I'll bet you a doughnut that the "Child" vocals tracked in 1971 are included on the main portion of the program.  The wordless falsetto will obviously remain intact on the familiar demo version of the song as found on the boxset.  For what it's worth never loved the 71' additions as the wordless falsetto has always been one of my favorite moments in the Beach Boys music rivaling the ending of "You Still Believe In Me".

Ah, that's a shame so much was not finished, especially the lyrics on Look. I was really hoping for that. "Wonderful" through "Surf's Up" on BWPS, the second movement if you will, is probably my favorite 10 minute stretch of music ever. It flows so seamlessly, and I actually love how it all closes up with the "Child" vocals the end, at leas in the BWPS version. I do the love the ending of the demo too.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: September 07, 2011, 06:29:22 PM »

How did you find this out? I know you're in the "know-how" in BW/BB-Universe but was it on an early/proposed tracklist? or an article? Do you know of any other early/proposed tracklisting/songs that didn't make it to the final cut of various compilations? (I.E. GV-30 Years of BB boxed set, Endless Harmony (anyother tunes?), Hawthorne CA, Ultimate Christmas, or Two-fer bonus tracks?)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: September 07, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »

Not the case for "I'm In Great Shape" imo. Very tired of "It's not on the Purple Chick version, it can't be done/it doesn't exist."

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #6320 on: September 07, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »

How did you find this out? I know you're in the "know-how" in BW/BB-Universe but was it on an early/proposed tracklist? or an article? Do you know of any other early/proposed tracklisting/songs that didn't make it to the final cut of various compilations? (I.E. GV-30 Years of BB boxed set, Endless Harmony (anyother tunes?), Hawthorne CA, Ultimate Christmas, or Two-fer bonus tracks?)

It's been known for a while that Loop de Loop and Soulful Old Man Sunshine were considered for the box set and voted down by Al and Carl respectively, as was some other Smile material, which was voted down by Brian (as was Let Him Run Wild). The Battle Hymn of the Republic was found during the Endless Harmony tape research and was considered up until a fateful phone call to Mr. Al Jardine ("uh, have you guys actually heard it? Ohhhhh boy..."), plus of course the 11/66 Child edit.
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: September 07, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »

I believe the "Child" vocals on BWPS are modern lyrics by VDP.  Worms had verse vocals written by VDP but were never tracked by The Beach Boys.  The others tracks I believe all had modern vocals written for BWPS.

The thing is VDP has reportedly said he wrote lyrcis for "Child" in 1966. Assuing the disc one version doesn't have verse vocals I hope, at the least, the booklet will have new info on their fate.
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »

Ah, that's a shame so much was not finished, especially the lyrics on Look. I was really hoping for that.

Do we know for certain that lyrics for Look were not written in 1966? Of course, it's possible the lost Oct. 1967 Look vocal session for wordless harmony vocals but I'd think it is just as possible the lads were singing something with words. I hope some light is cast on this in the Smile sessions booklet. Considering they sang on the track maybe Bruce, Al or Mike, not to mention, Brian remembers? It would be a shame if the question isn't asked.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: September 07, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »

I believe the "Child" vocals on BWPS are modern lyrics by VDP.  Worms had verse vocals written by VDP but were never tracked by The Beach Boys.  The others tracks I believe all had modern vocals written for BWPS.

The thing is VDP has reportedly said he wrote lyrcis for "Child" in 1966. Assuing the disc one version doesn't have verse vocals I hope, at the least, the booklet will have new info on their fate.

A scan of handwritten '66 "Child" lyrics in the booklet would make a nice treat....wonder how many goodies like that will be in the booklet!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: September 07, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »

Wasn't the mastering for TLOS and BWPS UK albums different to the US albums, hence there was a noticeable difference in quality?

My EC pressing of TLOS was utterly unlistenable until I ripped it to my iPod (seriously). My US version was, and is, just fine.

That's highly weird.  Surely -- because mastering is SO expensive -- the album wouldn't have been mastered twice?  There's no good reason for that.  Presumably, though, the pressings are different.  In which case, could something in the pressing process have compromised the sound?  Plenty a cheap polymer has krunked a disc along the way.  (I'm looking at you, PDO.)

My only explanation (and it's not a good one) is they sent over the download master by mistake.

That seems skyscrapingly improbable.

Three words: "We Got Love".  Grin

...?  Going to have to fill this idiot in.  What happened there?

'Wrong' master was sent to Germany - before they could stop them, about 300 copies of Holland with "WGL" instead of "SO,S" were pressed. Rarest BB album there is.
So it was the actual song itself, not just on the back cover, or printed on the record tracklist?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 257 258 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx