gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 08:09:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zappa Nesmith  (Read 16032 times)
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2006, 12:32:57 PM »

Can anyone explain the story behind this bizarre photo?  Is it a Nesmith? Is it a Zappa? Or some freaky hybrid???

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Jason
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:34:46 PM »

That's definitely NOT Zappa.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:37:30 PM »

Zappa is in the Monkees' Head, though, and I believe he was friendly with Nesmith.

(That may be common knowledge around here. I don't know.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »

Zappa and Nesmith had mutual respect, or something like that. Considering Nesmith was the most talented musician in the Monkees, I'm not surprised.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 12:50:38 PM »

...Nesmith was the most talented musician in the Monkees...

Phrase of the day.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 12:57:23 PM »

Yes, I'm not completely oblivious to the fact that the other three weren't exactly musical whizzes. But they did try their hardest. And besides, who cares how proficient they were on their instruments? The music itself stands up well enough on its own merits.
GP1138
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:01:51 PM »

Ah! I have a video of this, where Zappa is pretending to be Nesmith, and vice versa. I'll post it if I can find it!
GP1138
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 01:05:18 PM »

http://gp1138.digitaloutsider.org/zappamonkees.mpg

If it doesn't work, try again in twenty or so minutes from the time this was posted. I have to run out the door for a few minutes, so I can't wait and post this.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »

Yes, I'm not completely oblivious to the fact that the other three weren't exactly musical whizzes. But they did try their hardest. And besides, who cares how proficient they were on their instruments? The music itself stands up well enough on its own merits.

I like Monkees music, by the way. Just playing around.

Besides, what could be wrong with it? It was written and performed by a lot of great musicians!

Jason
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »

Call me crazy, but the Monkees era I prefer is when they started doing it all themselves. The early stuff is fun and all, and impeccably performed, but stuff like Headquarters and PCAJ and The Birds, The Bees, and the Monkees are much preferred by me.
GP1138
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

The link should work now.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »

You guys weren't aware of the Monkees episode where Mike and Frank play each other? Wow.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 03:48:27 PM »

You guys weren't aware of the Monkees episode where Mike and Frank play each other? Wow.

F u ckin' know-it-all...

(kidding, dear.)

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 05:03:05 PM »

http://gp1138.digitaloutsider.org/zappamonkees.mpg

If it doesn't work, try again in twenty or so minutes from the time this was posted. I have to run out the door for a few minutes, so I can't wait and post this.
Hilarious!  Thanks for posting that!

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

You guys may want to check out the Monkees TV series. It's really great. Available in 2 handy sets from Rhino:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006ZZ05/ref=pd_lpo_k2a_1_txt/102-7220832-7995366?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TAZW4/102-7220832-7995366?v=glance&n=130

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 06:11:06 PM »

I forgot how genius that clip is! The banal & insipid crack and the popular/dirty, gross & ugly musician jabs are hysterical!
I wonder how many little kids then forced their parents into buying a Mother's Of Invention record. They then hated every minute, of course!  Grin
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 06:17:13 PM »

What I love about that clip is how much it shows Zappa to be a phony and hypocritical idiot who can't take the snide jabs he so obviously relishes dealing out to others. Afterward, Zappa would never again make the mistake of being caught on camera in the company of someone who was clearly his intellectual and humorous superior.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 08:01:49 PM »

I wondered about that Ian, when I first saw that years ago -- Zappa looked so cynical, so full of himself there while Mike looked to just be having a blast.  It certainly made Mike look comfy in the LA intelligentsia.

That was on the second to the last episode of the Monkees.  The very last episode had Tim Buckley as a guest.  Clearly the band upped the ante on their artistic merits.

I agree -- everyone who is interested enough to post to this board should sample the Monkees TV show.  I would personally bypass season 1 at first as that is far more conventional.  It is not bad, don't get me wrong, and my 3 year old thinks it is hysterical.  But for their most subversive best and best written stuff, with the best Monkees music, go straight to season 2.  It starts off similar to season 1 but soon becomes as psychedelic as straight network TV ever got in the 60's.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 08:07:59 PM »

By the way, while Frank is playing the car, what is the music that is playing on top of it?  I don't recognize that.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »

One more comment then I promise I will quit -- what about the time he was guest host on SNL in the 70's?  Belushi introed him playing the network prez, saying that Frank Zappa was the most in-demand person according to viewer mail.  Best moment was when he dated the Conehead's daughter and was so oblivious to the weirdness of the family that he drank beer and ate cheese puffs just like the rest of them.  And yet I think he came off somewhat similar to the Monkees thing at times.
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 08:23:16 PM »

Pretty sure it's Mother People from MONEY: "...We are the other people
You're the other people too"

Not sure Mike has the superior talent but he picks up on Frank's knack for always acting smugly 'superior', that's for sure.

cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 12:07:51 AM »

Part 2 of a series:

Was Zappa thining of the Mike Nesmith encounter when staging this one? Notice: no fake honker dropping off constantly needed on this occasion.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 01:56:40 AM »

That looks like Ringo!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 04:31:22 AM »

Just in case you aren't kidding -- that IS Ringo.
trumpet sounds
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 06:54:41 AM »

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 05:09:06 PM by trumpet sounds » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx