gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 03:59:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Announcement posted - TLOS by Sept. 2nd!  (Read 15344 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »

www.brianwilson.com

It will be on Capitol, I am reading the release now.  Front page of the official site.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:00:57 PM by mypetsounds » Logged

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »

I won't believe it 'til it's in stores. TLOS is the 21st century's Smile.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »

This could quite possibly be Brian's best year since 1966.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:16:21 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

From BW.com...

BRIAN WILSON RETURNS TO CAPITOL RECORDS / EMI, HIS ORIGINAL LABEL HOME
NEW STUDIO ALBUM, ‘THAT LUCKY OLD SUN,’ TO BE RELEASED SEPTEMBER 2 ON CD, DELUXE CD/DVD, LIMITED EDITION VINYL & DIGITALLY

“You don’t have to climb the Capitol tower, or play the Hollywood Bowl, if there’s a roll in your heart, and a rock in your soul…” (lyrics from That Lucky Old Sun’s “California Role”)

Hollywood, California – May 19, 2008 - He is one of popular music’s most deeply revered figures, a legendary writer, producer, arranger and performer of some of the most cherished music in rock history. Indeed, it is no exaggeration to call Brian Wilson one of the most gifted and influential pop composers of the last 50 years. Today, Wilson announces his return to Capitol Records / EMI, his original label home. Wilson’s new studio recording, That Lucky Old Sun, will be released by Capitol/EMI on CD, CD/DVD, limited edition vinyl and digitally on September 2 (September 1 internationally).

Brian Wilson’s return to Capitol Records / EMI, where The Beach Boys caught their first hit wave with the 1962 classic, “Surfin’ Safari/409,” is a triumphant homecoming for one of the world’s most gifted and beloved musical talents.

“I’m thrilled to be back home with Capitol, and I’m looking forward to sharing That Lucky Old Sun with everyone,” says Brian Wilson. “This music is really special to me.”

"We are delighted to be working with Brian Wilson for his new album, That Lucky Old Sun,” says Guy Hands, Executive Chairman of EMI Music. “We all remember the feeling we got when we first heard The Beach Boys’ music. My particular favorite classic is 'Surfer Girl.' It always reminds me of driving an open top car down the Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Barbara to Malibu. Brian Wilson is an iconic talent with enormous musical influence all over the world and we are very proud to be representing him.”

A musical love letter from Southern California, That Lucky Old Sun shimmers with sun-dappled choruses and arrangements that swell and swirl as if carried by the Pacific tides. One of the songs, “Midnight’s Another Day,” has been described by MOJO magazine as “glorious.” The album is narrated in transitional interludes spoken by Wilson as ‘That Lucky Old Sun,’ the storyteller. The narratives, cameos on life and the heartbeat of Los Angeles, propel the album’s musical story. 

Last summer, Wilson found himself singing the 1949 classic song, “That Lucky Old Sun,” which became the inspiration for a unique approach to what would become his next studio release. He bought Louis Armstrong’s version of the track and was inspired to collaborate lyrically with his band mate Scott Bennett, and with Van Dyke Parks, his old ‘sidekick,’ to create vibrant spoken narratives. Wilson debuted That Lucky Old Sun at London’s Royal Festival Hall in September 2007 in a series of six sold-out and critically-acclaimed concert performances celebrating the theatre’s restoration.

Wilson describes That Lucky Old Sun as an “interwoven series of ‘rounds’ with interspersed spoken word,” and as an autobiographical travelogue of sorts. The new studio album is produced by Wilson and was created with his acclaimed band at Capitol Studios in Hollywood, where he first recorded in 1962.

The new release is the dawning of a new California morning for Brian Wilson, continuing the awe-inspiring concept album journey that he first began four decades ago. Wilson’s songwriting, arranging and producing talents came together in harmonious glory for The Beach Boys’ 1966 classic, Pet Sounds, and have continued to evolve during his solo career, highlighted by his 2004 critically acclaimed Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE. Lyrically and in Wilson’s incomparably lush, evocative arrangements, That Lucky Old Sun adds a new chapter to Wilson’s conceptual presentations, reaching ever higher with his vibrant and moving autobiographical storytelling and intricate harmonies.

Following numerous nominations, Wilson won a well-deserved Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance (2004) for “Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow” and he was inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2006. Last December, he was feted as a leading cultural icon by The Kennedy Center Honors alongside Diana Ross, Martin Scorsese, Steve Martin and Leon Fleisher.

Brian Wilson and his band will perform a number of his classic hits and compositions at select North American and UK concerts this summer.

Brian Wilson: That Lucky Old Sun
1. That Lucky Old Sun
2. Morning Beat
3. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
4. Good Kind Of Love
5. Forever My Surfer Girl
6. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
7. Live Let Live
8. Mexican Girl
9. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
10. California Role
11. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
12. Oxygen
13. Can’t Wait Too Long (vocal excerpt)
14. Midnight’s Another Day
15. Going Home
16. Southern California

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »

Blimey! With Guy Hands directly involved he'd better make a few sales or he'll be out on his ear!
I notice, no new songs in the album lineup...Well, that gives us a good few months for them to give Lucky Old sun that polish that is required?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:48:51 PM »

Good f*cking deal, dude. Happy to hear this is coming out.If this turns out to be Brian's last album, I can't think of a better way than to go out on the same label where he started.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:38:02 AM »

September is right around the corner!  Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
MBE
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 01:57:53 AM »

Glad it will be on vinyl. You know this is the first album of entirely new Brian Wilson songs for 31 years. If you discount Good Time and Ding Dang.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »

*cough* Can't Wait Too Long...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 03:16:10 AM »

Hope they'll get the promotion-machine rolling. Except for Smile it was always very poorly done the last few years....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 04:25:47 AM »

Woo-hoo!!!

Sign me up for one of each... CD, Deluxe CD/DVD and maybe even vinyl.

I can't wait too long... now I just hope that it is produced properly the way it deserves to be.  The last thing the world needs is TLOS given the adult-contemporary treatment.

Great way to start off a Monday morning beat.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 05:25:58 AM »

I like the title for the news on smiley smile news, 'those lucky old fans' haha.

Anyway this is great news,

Thank you Brian, and Melinda I guess  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 06:16:11 AM »

A great way to start the morning for sure.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:22 AM »

I can't believe we're getting both Pacific Ocean Blue AND That Lucky Old Sun this year! The past 5 years have been such an exciting time to be a Brian Wilson fan.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 07:06:28 AM »

I can't believe we're getting both Pacific Ocean Blue AND That Lucky Old Sun this year! The past 5 years have been such an exciting time to be a Brian Wilson fan.

Yeah, there has been this beautiful revival of his and BB music
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:08:09 AM by The Baker Man » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 07:29:41 AM »

Glad it will be on vinyl. You know this is the first album of entirely new Brian Wilson songs for 31 years. If you discount Good Time and Ding Dang.

I would think BRIAN WILSON '88 qualifies. Personally, I don't care when these songs originated; they sound inspired and, with the appropriate production and arrangement, will be a suitable follow-up to BWPS.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

Hate to burst your bubble, but one of the songs dates from1985. Naturally, I forgot the title just now, but I'll edit it in. I think it was called "Wondering What Wou're Up To Now"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 09:55:42 AM »

Hate to burst your bubble, but one of the songs dates from1985. Naturally, I forgot the title just now, but I'll edit it in. I think it was called "Wondering What Wou're Up To Now"

I believe that was "Good Kind of Love"??

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 10:06:34 AM »

I believe that was "Good Kind of Love"??

"California Role". "Good Kind Of Love" was written summer 2006.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »

Parts of TLOS date back to 1967/68 ("BWTL"), 1975/6 (the "mow-mama-yama-glory-halleluja" riff from "Clangin'"), 1985 ("California Role/Wondering What You're Up To Now"), "Southern California" is a solo Scotty composition and of course a substantial proportion was back-engineered from the summer 2006 Wilson/Bennet sessions. How much was written specifically for the South Bank Center commission ?  Surprisingly little.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 10:41:20 AM »

Solo scotty composition notwithstanding, to me it doesn't really matter when the songs were demoed, as long as music that's pretty much new to me comes out and is well-produced, I'll still be satisfied.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »

I was kind of hoping he'd drop Oxygen to the brain and replace it with another song.  It's pretty lame.  But I like the narratives and the other songs (Mexican Girl is just OK - lots of cliched Spanish music references without much originality).
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »

Really looking forward to the record. I don't care if some of it was written years ago as That Lucky Old Sun as a whole seems like such a coherent and spirited piece of work to me. Dick Reising and the guys at Capitol seem to feel that way too.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »

I will take the CD/DVD deluxe version please!  Grin
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

Parts of TLOS date back to 1967/68 ("BWTL"), 1975/6 (the "mow-mama-yama-glory-halleluja" riff from "Clangin'"), 1985 ("California Role/Wondering What You're Up To Now"), "Southern California" is a solo Scotty composition and of course a substantial proportion was back-engineered from the summer 2006 Wilson/Bennet sessions. How much was written specifically for the South Bank Center commission ?  Surprisingly little.
I don't know about surprisingly little, considering the man's penchant for hanging on to old material only to release it years (decades) later. But either way, I don't care. I like TLOS, and that's all that matters to me. Glad to hear it's going to be out, and relatively soon.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx