gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 08:52:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 442747 times)
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: June 16, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »

I love the track list. Mind you, if (god forbid) certain people end up being right that this will be the last time The BBs release something that has previously unreleased/extremely rare tracks I might look back upon on this with a slight bit of disappointment. However, I don't think The Beach Boys/Capitol are closing their archive vaults for good and more unreleased Beach Boys songs, live material, vocal only tracks, etc. will eventually see the light of day.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:23:26 PM by modestmaus » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 16, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »

Maybe the suite, or some of it will be on Brian's solo album. Fingers crossed!
Boy, I hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the rest of the Beach Boys' voices appear on the tracks alongside Brian's (and maybe there were some vocals cut by the guys last year on the otherwise unfinished suite numbers), but if a solo BW release is the only way we can ever hope to hear the tunes and complete the suite, I'd take that trade in heartbeat.

While there's no proof that what remains of the suite will be as good, what we have heard has been just that outstanding.
Didn't Brian say it's a "Rock n Roll" album?  Which would mean no Suite?

I'd bet against the suite for now. Seems like maybe a little too fraught to deal with at this point. Maybe in a few years.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 16, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »

Great tracklist and it covers most of the eras pretty nicely. Personally, my dream box would have Disc 1-2 cover the pre-Pet Sounds era, Disc 3 would be the Pet Sounds Mono/Stereo remaster, Disc 4 would be the reconstructed Smile LP, Disc 5-6 would summarize the rest and Disc 7 would be full of studio and live outtakes. A general look at the boxed set tracklist makes it apparent that Pet Sounds and Smile are the two points of greatness given short shrift while the rest of their catalog is mined fairly well. I get that a lot of people have no need to buy such material for the umpteenth time, but including both of those records in their entirety would have made this the end-all, be-all set for anybody with even a casual interest in The Beach Boys.

Last year, I conducted a poll of the greatest Beach Boys songs here. Looking over the Top 100 from that list (well, Top 101 since "Hang On To Your Ego" doesn't need to be counted for the sake of this exercise), it appears that 76 of those tracks are represented on this box set in some capacity.

Missing Tracks From Pet Sounds (And Where They Ranked):

You Still Believe In Me (#20)
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (#32)
I'm Waiting For The Day (#35)
I Know There's An Answer (#36)
Here Today (#39)
That's Not Me (#40)
Let's Go Away For Awhile (#48)
Pet Sounds (#54)

Missing Tracks From Smile (And Where They Ranked):

Child Is Father Of The Man (#54)
Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) (#74)
I Love To Say Da-Da (#77)
Look (Song For Children) (#95, 94th for this exercise)

Other Missing Tracks From The List (And Where They Ranked):

Cool, Cool Water (#38)
All I Wanna Do (#46)
She Knows Me Too Well (#49)
Long Promised Road (#50)
Girl Don't Tell Me (#84)
A Day In The Life Of A Tree (#85)
Cuddle Up (#86)
Wake The World (#87)
Funky Pretty (#90)
Still I Dream Of It (#91)
Good To My Baby (#92)
Here Comes The Night (#100, 99th for this exercise)

Tracks From The List That Are On The Boxed Set In Radically Different Versions:

Can't Wait Too Long (A Capella) (#59)
Hushabye (BBC Recording) (#67)
You're So Good To Me (Live) (#82)
Our Sweet Love (Vocals/Strings version) (#96, 95th for this exercise)
Only With You (Live) (#98, 97th for this exercise)

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=12131
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:36:45 PM by KokoNO » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 16, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »

I was under the impression he meant length as opposed to quantity. The life suite in its entirety is long.

Yup!  "Sunflower" or "Today" would have more tracks, but they're shorter ones.  

I have to admit - I'm still not getting why the length of the songs, or the total length of the albums (within reason), should have anything to do with whether or not they be included on the box? As I mentioned, the Surf's Up album proper is represented by 18+ minutes of music, so it wasn't like there was some kind of hard rules or set limit. Heck, the Sunflower album, related singles and session material look like they're somewhere in the 30 minute range at casual glance! Conversely, some albums had little to no representation.

In the case of TWGMTR, it would be roughly 16:50 for 5 songs, or 13:10 if they just went with 4 (i.e. say, minus Isn't It Time). With those 3 final tracks totaling less than 10 minutes. Hardly an over-representation of the album if one deems it quality material. And, judging by nearly everything I've read in the past 12 months, most people seem to consider those final 3 tracks the highlight of the album, and arguably the best tracks the band has released in nearly 35 years. If that isn't "comprehensive box set material"...I don't know what is!

And while I personally think "Radio" is a great album, in terms of telling the story of the band it's not worth that big a chunk (especially given what else would have to be lost).  The two singles and "Summer's Gone" would be my preference...

Well, for me, as well as the telling of the band's and album's story, I would lose Isn't It Time for FTTBA and PCH in a heartbeat.

Opinions....lol.  LOL

Not sure why this doesn't seem to be said out loud ... but I think if you're looking to get the casual fan to notice the last album, From There to Back Again (and only that song) is far and away the best choice IMO.

Brian's the genius of course, but Al's the one who can still sing.  And for many people, that makes From There to Back Again a quite listenable contrast to the songs with Brian's halting vocals.

Unfortunately, band politics probably prevented the compilers from recognizing that reality.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »

Yes, of course you're right about Brian having "a rock & roll-driven album in mind," but even if it's a more up-tempo record, we already know that the whole suite isn't made up entirely of ballads ("Strange World"), so who knows?

But you know what?  Even with that said, I'm with Wirestone, I'd be surprised (though happily surprised) if we do hear more of the suite on this record, if only because part of me wonders if Brian views the numbers as exclusively Beach Boys material.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1055 on: June 16, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »

Boy, I hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the rest of the Beach Boys' voices appear on the tracks alongside Brian's (and maybe there were some vocals cut by the guys last year on the otherwise unfinished suite numbers), but if a solo BW release is the only way we can ever hope to hear the tunes and complete the suite, I'd take that trade in heartbeat.

While there's no proof that what remains of the suite will be as good, what we have heard has been just that outstanding.

1 - Brian's been talking about making a "rock & roll" album since summer 1999...

2 - Brian's idea of what constitutes rock & roll very likely differs greatly from what, say, Neil Young might think...

3 - As has been made evident in past interviews and articles, the 'suite' is very far from anything like completion. Several sections exist only as Brian noodling on the piano back in 1998 or thereabouts. Just changes. Granted, Joe Thomas is once more involved, and I'm still trying to convince myself that's a good thing...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »

Oh, and think I may have uncovered the identity of the mysterious Wilson.  It's Brian.

Now that is a seriously fake beard.

The beard is not fake. It's very real. But the hat is deceiving. He's no longer a San Francisco Giant.

Brian Wilson (the baseball pitcher) is a big Beach Boys fan. He's acknowledged that the other Brian Wilson (Brian Douglas Wilson) is a legend. He's said so in interviews.
Not faked but heavily dyed which makes it look fake.

Mods, we need a "sarcasm alert" icon asap please...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »

Boy, I hope so!

1 - Brian's been talking about making a "rock & roll" album since summer 1999...

2 - Brian's idea of what constitutes rock & roll very likely differs greatly from what, say, Neil Young might think...

3 - As has been made evident in past interviews and articles, the 'suite' is very far from anything like completion. Several sections exist only as Brian noodling on the piano back in 1998 or thereabouts. Just changes. Granted, Joe Thomas is once more involved, and I'm still trying to convince myself that's a good thing...
I remember reading an interview with Mike last year before we really knew anything about what the album might sound like, and he mentioned that some songs would have narration, or some kind of talking during or in between songs. I wonder if he was referencing recordings already made, or just idea about what it would/could sound like in completed form.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 16, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »

Thought I read Brian recently sayin it's a rock and roll album.  Whatever that means.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:46:27 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 16, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »

Pretty excited about getting both "Back Home"s.  1963 version was ahead of it's time. 
Always like these and it's great they are seeing official release.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 16, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »

I was under the impression he meant length as opposed to quantity. The life suite in its entirety is long.

Yup!  "Sunflower" or "Today" would have more tracks, but they're shorter ones.  

I have to admit - I'm still not getting why the length of the songs, or the total length of the albums (within reason), should have anything to do with whether or not they be included on the box? As I mentioned, the Surf's Up album proper is represented by 18+ minutes of music, so it wasn't like there was some kind of hard rules or set limit. Heck, the Sunflower album, related singles and session material look like they're somewhere in the 30 minute range at casual glance! Conversely, some albums had little to no representation.

In the case of TWGMTR, it would be roughly 16:50 for 5 songs, or 13:10 if they just went with 4 (i.e. say, minus Isn't It Time). With those 3 final tracks totaling less than 10 minutes. Hardly an over-representation of the album if one deems it quality material. And, judging by nearly everything I've read in the past 12 months, most people seem to consider those final 3 tracks the highlight of the album, and arguably the best tracks the band has released in nearly 35 years. If that isn't "comprehensive box set material"...I don't know what is!

And while I personally think "Radio" is a great album, in terms of telling the story of the band it's not worth that big a chunk (especially given what else would have to be lost).  The two singles and "Summer's Gone" would be my preference...

Well, for me, as well as the telling of the band's and album's story, I would lose Isn't It Time for FTTBA and PCH in a heartbeat.

Opinions....lol.  LOL

Not sure why this doesn't seem to be said out loud ... but I think if you're looking to get the casual fan to notice the last album, From There to Back Again (and only that song) is far and away the best choice IMO.

Brian's the genius of course, but Al's the one who can still sing.  And for many people, that makes From There to Back Again a quite listenable contrast to the songs with Brian's halting vocals.

Unfortunately, band politics probably prevented the compilers from recognizing that reality.

Personally speaking again, I think that's why I was such an advocate of having those 3 songs on the set (which is a moot point now, because they're simply not going to be). For me, FTTBA is hands-down my favorite track on the album and really the "centerpiece" and driving force of that whole closing section. Take that away...and the following two tracks, while still great and musically discrete, seem "naked" to me. Like they're missing something essential. In that regard, I also always imagine them as 5 movements within those 3 separate songs that tell a story -- both musically and lyrically.  Smiley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1061 on: June 16, 2013, 11:01:09 PM »

So was Mike finishing Goin' to the Beach in the studio recently?
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:07 PM »

I get that a lot of people have no need to buy such material for the umpteenth time, but including both of those records in their entirety would have made this the end-all, be-all set for anybody with even a casual interest in The Beach Boys.

...And I'd wager that's exactly why they didn't do that.  They want people to think "there's more where that came from", and buy the actual albums!  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1063 on: June 17, 2013, 01:22:17 AM »

That said, I'm in a minority in that I don't think much of Summer's Gone at all. I think nearly all of its power comes from context and its placement at the end of what will almost certainly be the band's last album. As a song, it's frankly mediocre.

I couldn't disagree more. It's nowhere near mediocre. It has a beautiful arrangement, to me (IMHO) way more beautiful than FTTBA. Its quality has nothing to do with context or placement. But then, I'm in the minority in that FTTBA moves me very little, and feeling it has a dire arrangement, go figure that.

I'm really surprised that Summer's Gone isn't on MIC. (Maybe Mike vetoed it? LOL)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 17, 2013, 02:01:43 AM »

That said, I'm in a minority in that I don't think much of Summer's Gone at all. I think nearly all of its power comes from context and its placement at the end of what will almost certainly be the band's last album. As a song, it's frankly mediocre.

I couldn't disagree more. It's nowhere near mediocre. It has a beautiful arrangement, to me (IMHO) way more beautiful than FTTBA. Its quality has nothing to do with context or placement. But then, I'm in the minority in that FTTBA moves me very little, and feeling it has a dire arrangement, go figure that.

I'm really surprised that Summer's Gone isn't on MIC. (Maybe Mike vetoed it? LOL)

The arrangement is nice, but it's polishing a turd -- the song itself is a dirge, with very little in the way of melody (and what there is isn't that original -- it reminds me actually of Superstar by the Carpenters, but without the choruses), and the lyrics are banal.

From There To Back Again, on the other hand -- it does much less for me than for other people, partly because of Robo-Al, and partly because it sounds to me more like Roger Nichols or someone than like Brian, but it's ambitious and interesting and the best thing on the album (not the one I like the most, that would be either Shelter or Bill & Sue, but the best).

And as for Mike vetoing Summer's Gone (and I know you're joking, but other people have said similar things seriously), I've heard from two independent, trustworthy sources that Mike didn't veto a single track. Apparently he had some concerns about the packaging and presentation, but none with any of the music.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: June 17, 2013, 02:18:34 AM »

And as for Mike vetoing Summer's Gone (and I know you're joking, but other people have said similar things seriously), I've heard from two independent, trustworthy sources that Mike didn't veto a single track. Apparently he had some concerns about the packaging and presentation, but none with any of the music.

This should be sticky on the front page.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 17, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »

Heh. *I* trust them, but I'm not saying who said that, as they were both private conversations. So unless you want to have trust in me, in the two sources I have, and in their sources if any, that's only very weak evidence.

I believe it, though.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:15 AM »

Mensch, I just noticed "It's A Beutiful Day" is on the box! What a nice surprise, my favorite track from that era (after Goin' On).

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1068 on: June 17, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »

The nice surprise for me was "Susie Cincinnati". Hadn't expected that song that seemingly so few people like.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 17, 2013, 05:41:39 AM »

"Hang on...  I've just written 4,000 ****ing words about the meaning of a box set THAT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET"
Aw, heck, that just means you can give us 8,000 words come late-August!

I kid, of course, but really, I think you did a pretty good job of expressing what it seems the set is designed to accomplish, and with an enjoyable writing style, to boot.   Thumbs Up
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 17, 2013, 06:50:55 AM »

The nice surprise for me was "Susie Cincinnati". Hadn't expected that song that seemingly so few people like.

I agree. Don't think it's that bad of a song. Like Good Time as well (and it looks like we'll be getting the Sunflower mix based on its placement)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »

Is "Goin' to the Beach" supposed to be any good?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 17, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »

The backing track that's been bootlegged is pretty poor. However, some site referred to it as "recently completed", which suggests it may be the track Mike and Scott Totten were working on (or, of course, it may not), in which case we can't know.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1073 on: June 17, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »

SWD played me the completed track & bvs back in 1985 - it's catchy.

Jason
« Reply #1074 on: June 17, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »

Heh. *I* trust them, but I'm not saying who said that, as they were both private conversations. So unless you want to have trust in me, in the two sources I have, and in their sources if any, that's only very weak evidence.

I believe it, though.

I have a feeling your post will be among the more questioned on here in the near future. I honestly can't say I'm surprised that Michael didn't veto anything. He appreciates the band's entire career. Sure, he may have been late to the party, but still...better late than never.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx