gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 09:04:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christmas Harmony  (Read 6611 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »

Looks like Capitol Records is putting out yet another Beach Boys Christmas compilation in August (according to www.musictap.net).  Not sure about the track-listing or any other noteworthy news about it.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:29:21 PM »

Interesting. Wonder if anymore of the discarded 70's Christmas album is coming out.

There's also the "Santa" version of H.E.L.P too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »

It is interesting, and I'm looking forward to it. I love Christmas music, obviously The Beach Boys' Christmas music, and there are a lot of ways that Ultimate Christmas could be improved.

Actually, it's soon time to get out the Christmas music!  police
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »

How can it be improved? We've got pretty much everything I believe.

Maybe Brian/Usher's Christmas Time from the 80s and a few lackluster tunes from the failed project in the late 70s.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

I'm wondering that too.  Is there any decent BB Christmas music that has been booted, but was not on Ultimate Christmas?
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »

standard reissue of the "Ultimate Christmas CD" with "Santa goes to Kokomo" added?

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:42:46 PM »

First, I would do some serious remastering; the volume is all over the place, especially on the 1977 stuff.

Second, add "The Lord's Prayer" to the set. I'm not sure why it was omitted from Ultimate Christmas.

Third, I would consider adding another 1977 song; I'm not sure what the official title is, maybe "Christmas Day", but it starts out with Mike singing, "When you find for some sad reason, you're alone this Christmas season...". I think it's a pretty good song. I'm not totally opposed to the Christmas version of H.E.L.P. (again, I forget the title), but it is kinda goofy.

Fourth, and this might be a little controversial, but I'd like to hear the CD end with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", with Brian at the piano and the Beach Boys' kids singing (put it right after Dennis' "Morning Christmas"). Yes, I know it's on Carnie and Wendy's Christmas CD, but I think it fits better on this CD. That would give you nine or ten songs from the proposed 1977 album, and it gives it more credibility than just tacking a few tracks on, almost like giving you two complete albums.

Fifth, what do take off? I don't think you need the alternate version Of "Auld Lang Syne" and I don't think the "Toy Drive Little St. Nick" adds very much to the set. I'd keep the "Dennis Wilson Christmas Message " and use it as a bridge between the 1964 album and "Child of Winter"/1977 album. I'm on the fence with the "Brian Wilson Christmas Interview"; does it add much to the CD?

Here's my proposed lineup:

The Beach Boys - Christmas Harmony

1. Little Saint Nick
2. The Man With All The Toys
3. Santa's Beard
4. Merry Christmas, Baby
5. Christmas Day
6. Frosty The Snowman
7. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
8. Blue Christmas
9. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
10. White Christmas
11. I'll Be Home For Christmas
12. Auld Lang Syne
13. Little Saint Nick (single version)
14. Little Saint Nick (Drive-In version)
15. The Lord's Prayer
16. Dennis Wilson Christmas Message
-------------------------------------------------
17. Child Of Winter (ding dong ding go the bells, leading into the next track...)
18. The Bells Of Christmas
19. Christmas Time Is Here Again
20. Winter Symphony
21. Christmas Day
22. Christmas version of H.E.L.P. (optional - what do YOU think?)
23  Melekalikimaka
24. Santa's Got An Airplane
25. (I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
26. Morning Christmas
27. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »

I would too a remix of Morning Christmas. The mix on Ultimate Christmas is terrible, didnt have the punch, nothing is clear..
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »

I like the idea of adding "The Lord's Prayer," which is simply stunning.  I wouldn't want to get rid of the alternate Auld Lang Sine (I assume you mean the one without Dennis speaking)...the singing is too good to be drowed out by Dennis talking.  And I really enjoy Brian's interview...it's cool hearing him talk normally and give some basic insight about the album (even though he sounded just as awkward then as he does now).

I agree about the remixing too Sheriff, that would be very helpful.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:20:11 AM »

I've got a contact at Capitol who knows I'm a BB fan, so he sent me the New Release sheet on this set.  It's actually titled CHRISTMAS HARMONIES (the last word is plural) and the info sheet shows the following Track Listing:

1. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
2. Frosty The Snowman
3. Child Of Winter (Christmas Song)
4. White Christmas
5. Little Saint Nick
6. Christmas Day
7. I'll Be Home For Christmas
8. Santa's Beard
9. Merry Christmas, Baby
10. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
11. Melekalikimaka
12. (I Saw Santa) Rocking' Around The Christmas Tree
13. Blue Christmas
14. Christmas Time Is Here Again
15. Auld Lang Syne (Alternate Take)

However, the list has an asterisk next to it, which is footnoted to the comment "Final Tracklisting TBD." So, apparently, it's not set in stone yet.

The set is supposed to be in stores Aug. 25, with orders due July 31. There's no cover artwork shown on the info sheet.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 06:22:49 AM »

Here's the tracklist of the last BB Christmas album I made.  Only rule - nothing from the original Christmas album.

01   Our Prayer
02   Morning Christmas
03   What I Really Want For Christmas
04   On Christmas Day
05   Big Sur Christmas
06   Winter Symphony
07   Goin' South
08   Snowflakes
09   Christmasey
10   Little Saint Nick (BW's version)
11   London's A Lonely Town (because Bruce sings bvs)
12   Alone On Christmas Day
13   Bells Of Christmas
14   Winter Wonderland (with Collin Raye)
15   The Christmas Song
16   It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
17   O Holy Night
18   Walking Down The Path Of Life/Love And Mercy
19   Joy To The World
mtaber
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 06:33:26 AM »

Hope it includes "Shortnin' Bread Christmas" and "Proud Mary Christmas"...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »

Here's the tracklist of the last BB Christmas album I made.  Only rule - nothing from the original Christmas album.

01   Our Prayer
02   Morning Christmas
03   What I Really Want For Christmas
04   On Christmas Day
05   Big Sur Christmas
06   Winter Symphony
07   Goin' South
08   Snowflakes
09   Christmasey
10   Little Saint Nick (BW's version)
11   London's A Lonely Town (because Bruce sings bvs)
12   Alone On Christmas Day
13   Bells Of Christmas
14   Winter Wonderland (with Collin Raye)
15   The Christmas Song
16   It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
17   O Holy Night
18   Walking Down The Path Of Life/Love And Mercy
19   Joy To The World

What! No "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo"? OK, now you got me going. Here's mine:

A Wilson Family Christmas

1. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
2. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Carnie & Wendy Wilson
3. The Man With All The Toys - Brian Wilson
4. The First Noel - Brian Wilson
5. Hey Santa - Carnie & Wendy Wilson
6. Blue Christmas - The Beach Boys
7. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Carnie Wilson
8. Deck The Halls - Brian Wilson
9. Merry Christmas Darling - Carnie Wilson
10. Dennis Wilson Christmas Message
11. Christmas Day - The Beach Boys
12. Let It Snow - Carnie & Wendy Wilson
13. Frosty The Snowman - The Beach Boys
14. White Christmas - The Beach Boys
15. Winter Wonderland - Carnie & Wendy Wilson
16. Winter Symphony - The Beach Boys
17. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Carnie & Wendy Wilson
18. On Christmas Day - Brian Wilson
19. Jingle Bells - Carnie Wilson
20. Child Of Winter - The Beach Boys
21. Morning Christmas - Dennis Wilson
22. We Three Kings/Silent Night/First Noel - Carnie & Wendy Wilson
23. Joy To The World - Brian Wilson
24. We Wish You A Merry Christmas - Brian Wilson

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:52:11 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »

I'm wondering that too.  Is there any decent BB Christmas music that has been booted, but was not on Ultimate Christmas?

To attempt to answer my question, the Banana and Louie site lists four unreleased Christmas songs:

Christmas Day (fall 1977) (may be on the Christmas Harmonies compilation according to Beach Head's list)
Jingle Bells (July 1964)
Santa's Got an Airplane (fall 1977) (uses the HELP Is on the Way track instead of the Loop de Loop track)
We Wish You a Merry Christmas (fall 1977)

Has anyone heard these?  Any opinions on them?
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:38:06 PM »

To attempt to answer my question, the Banana and Louie site lists four unreleased Christmas songs:

Christmas Day (fall 1977) (may be on the Christmas Harmonies compilation according to Beach Head's list)

Santa's Got an Airplane (fall 1977) (uses the HELP Is on the Way track instead of the Loop de Loop track)

Both of these songs are on Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 4.  I love Christmas Day (or I think on that set it is listed as Alone on Christmas Day), a Mike Love solo composition I believe and it is pretty good.  However, the same can't be said for Santa's Got an Airplane, either version.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:55 PM »

Jingle Bells (July 1964)

"Christmas Day" - as I mentioned in my above post, I think it's a pretty good song. Mike Love lead vocal, slightly rough harmonies, but decent melody and lyrics.

"Santa's Got An Airplane (H.E.L.P.)" - might be for diehards only, Mike's vocal can be overbearing, the lyrics are goofy, but a lot going on musically.

"We Wish You A Merry Christmas" - awful
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 01:51:35 PM »

Jingle Bells (July 1964)

Pretty sure the "Christmas Day" listed is the 1964 one...

"Santa's Got An Airplane" is "Loop De Loop" reworded, and was released on Ultimate Christmas - however "Santa's On His Way", a reworking of "HELP Is On The Way" remains unreleased (and, I think, rightly so - sample lyric: "A 747 with a super-speed clutch/To get around as fast as he can/With special cargo doors to hold as much/As he needs to accomplish his plan").

"We Wish You A Merry Christmas" is in fact a medley of carols, with minimal instrumental backing. Not too great.

Check out the 1977 page at the gigs section of Bellagio 10452 for MIU/Xmas Album sessions - http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs77.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:55:49 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 01:59:07 PM »

Jingle Bells (July 1964)

An alternate version of "Christmas Day"?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »

Jingle Bells (July 1964)

An alternate version of "Christmas Day"?

Doesn't say anything about 'alternate'. I mean the version on the new comp.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:20:13 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »

I also kind of like "On Christmas Day" (1977) but as Andrew pointed out, the track on this release is the 64 track, unless they mistitled the 77 track.

I would love "Go and Get That Girl" to be released - great Carl vocal on that and a pretty good song to boot (no pun intended).
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »

Thanks Hart, John & AGD.  I managed to listen to all of those except We Wish You a Merry Christmas, which I'll probably avoid.  Jingle Bells is a well-done track, but apparently no vocals.  I have to give them some credit for figuring out how to use Christmas lyrics on the HELP track.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

I also kind of like "On Christmas Day" (1977) but as Andrew pointed out, the track on this release is the 64 track, unless they mistitled the 77 track.

I would love "Go and Get That Girl" to be released - great Carl vocal on that and a pretty good song to boot (no pun intended).

Yeah, that's why I asked AGD for clarification; I thought "Christmas Day" might be the track from 1977. If it isn't, there doesn't appear to be any new material on this Christmas release, unless, as was noted, the track list is not final. I thought Capitol would put something unreleased on there, just to get nuts like me to purchase it.

I, too, like "Go And Get That Girl", but....The 1977 songs don't sound very "Christmasey" Grin, and the lyrics that were grafted on there don't help matters very much; they're hit and miss. "Go And Get That Girl", to me anyway, is the least-Christmasey song, they really forced that one into a Christmas song, didn't they....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 11:59:26 PM »

Yeah, that's why I asked AGD for clarification; I thought "Christmas Day" might be the track from 1977. If it isn't, there doesn't appear to be any new material on this Christmas release, unless, as was noted, the track list is not final. I thought Capitol would put something unreleased on there, just to get nuts like me to purchase it.

I, too, like "Go And Get That Girl", but....The 1977 songs don't sound very "Christmasey" Grin, and the lyrics that were grafted on there don't help matters very much; they're hit and miss. "Go And Get That Girl", to me anyway, is the least-Christmasey song, they really forced that one into a Christmas song, didn't they....

Yup - the sole seasonal reference in that song is the line "True love can make you feel like Christmas Day". That aside, the lyric on the track as released on the 2nd Celebration album is identical.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »

I left off Go and Get That Girl because it wasn't obviously Christmas(e)y, though I do like the song and I wouldn't have minded had it turned up on MIU or LA.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 06:48:01 AM »

Any word on the final track list.  Amazon doesn't list one. 

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Harmonies-Beach-Boys/dp/B002HMHXNQ/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255700210&sr=1-24

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx