gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 10:55:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A couple of American Spring questions...  (Read 8681 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

I've been listening to the American Spring stuff a lot over the past few weeks, and I really like it. Even if Brian was only 25% involved, that's quite a 25%, and David Sandler also did a very good job. I have a few questions: (I haven't been around this board a long time (but have been around similar BB boards for a decent time) so please excuse me if they have been already asked)

Can someone please tell me which Rovell sings on which cut on the American Spring album? (I find their voices hard to seperate.)

I've heard that David Sandler is also singing on the LP, but is it certain that Brian is singing the "I remember" part on "Tennessee Waltz" and the "well it rained on the mountain, the mountain of love" on "Sweet Mountain"? Those sound like Brian to these ears.

Was Dennis involved in any way with their recordings of "Forever" or "Slip on Through"?

And finally, I know when, but does anybody exactly know why Brian & Spring recorded in the Chicken Coop in early '73 (also might be late '72)? Did they know the owners?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »

i thought brian and mike were on sweet mountain

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »

The only track Diane has a solo lead on is "Everybody".

I'll get back with the bvs - as for the Iowa sessions, the studio belonged to a friend of a friend.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

This might be obvious to most, but the Beach Boys sing backup on Good Time.

And that's Marilyn singing lead on all the tracks? Why does she sound so different on Let's Put Our Hearts Together?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:33:15 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:04:29 AM »

Yeah she is a lot worse on that. Fallin In Love was the 1973 single b side and that's Diane. Diane did co sing a few songs namely Sweet Mountain, and from 1973 Had To Phone Ya. SHe also sings It's Like Heaven. Other then the obvious Good Time, I hear Carl on Forever as well as Brian. Brian also can be heard on Tennessee, Thinkin', Sweet Mountain (low and high parts), and Everybody.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:16:57 AM by MBE » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:22:21 AM »

I like Marilyn's vocal on "Let's Put Our Hearts Together". That's seems like a tough song to sing, a lot of changes. Actually, I always thought Marilyn's voice was better than she got credit for. And Carnie's...
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 07:59:55 AM »

I like Marilyn's vocal on "Let's Put Our Hearts Together". That's seems like a tough song to sing, a lot of changes. Actually, I always thought Marilyn's voice was better than she got credit for. And Carnie's...

I agree with you on LPOHT. I know some people don't like that song but I find it quite moving and I like Marilyn's voice on it too. I too think Marilyn's voice is better than most people give her credit for. Of course it's not as good as any of the Beach Boys or anything, but then again not many people can sing like Carl, Brian etc..
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:57:29 AM »

I agree with you on LPOHT. I know some people don't like that song but I find it quite moving and I like Marilyn's voice on it too. I too think Marilyn's voice is better than most people give her credit for. Of course it's not as good as any of the Beach Boys or anything, but then again not many people can sing like Carl, Brian etc..

I think Marilyn's voice is fine, but not for recording. It's like if I made a record, or a neighbor made a record. The voice can sing in tune, but it isn't particularly special. To me, a professional singer should have a good voice, except, you know, if the song is exceptional or the genre doesn't require it (like Bob Dylan).

I think Carnie's voice is better than Marilyn's. It has something that's soothing and nice to listen to. Unfortunately Carnie's music is usually too bland for my taste. Maybe she needs a new producer and new material.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »

Thanks for the responses--I'm surprised that it's Marilyn on the majority of the tracks too-though I can't deny she has a nice voice. The only track which I don't particularly like Marilyn's voice is "Tennessee Waltz" where she reaches for the higher note at the beginning ("to the tenn-a-see waltz"), but I also like Diane's voice on "Everybody."

I'm a fan of the American Spring album, the only track I don't care for is the slowed down "This Whole World," kinda sucks the life out of the song...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »

From the Rhino CD credits:

Everybody - bvs, Marilyn & Brian
Thinkin' 'Bout You Bay - bvs, Diane  & Brian
Mama Said - bvs, Marilyn & Diane
Forever - bvs, Diane & Carl (and an uncredited Brian)
Good Time - bvs, Marilyn, Diane & The Beach Boys
Now That Everything's Been said - bvs, Marilyn, Diane & David Sandler
Down Home - bvs, Diane & Jack Rieley
This Whole World - bvs, Marilyn, Diane & David Sandler
Awake - bvs, Diane
Sweet Mountain -  bvs, Marilyn & Diane (and an uncredited Brian)
Superstar -  bvs, Marilyn & Diane
Tennessee Waltz - bvs, Diane & Brian (note: Brian plays everything onnthis track)

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »

I don't think either Marilyn or Diane sing on pitch; they sing slightly flat.  Their voices are also thin, weak, and nasal.  It makes it hard to listen to Spring.  I can tolerate the Honeys a little more because Ginger can sing.    Carnie is a better singer than Marilyn.  She has a pleasant alto.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »

Posted on: Today at 12:36:35 PM Posted by: Andrew G. Doe 
(note: Brian plays everything onnthis track)
Also, Brian evidently wrote out the horn parts for "Good Time" while having a conversation with David Sandler (according to "Catch a Wave").

Another question, has Brian said anything about the American Spring project in recent years (or, for that matter, after it's release)?

MBE
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »

I like their voices myself I think they have a nice innocent sound.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »

I don't think either Marilyn or Diane sing on pitch; they sing slightly flat.  Their voices are also thin, weak, and nasal.

I absolutely love Marilyn and Diane's singing on the Spring album.  Many of the songs on that album have been absolute favorites of mine since the album's release in 1972.  The expanded 1988 CD added two more songs that I totally enjoy.  When I mentioned to Marilyn (during the Wilson-Philips days) that I thought Carnie sounded a lot like her, she agreed, and said she thought Wendy sounded a lot like Brian.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »

Another question, has Brian said anything about the American Spring project in recent years (or, for that matter, after it's release)?

Shortly after the release of the Spring album in May 1972, I was listening to the Wolfman Jack show on KDAY, Los Angeles, (live, not on tape or syndicated at that time) when Brian Wilson called in.  He sounded like a wide-eyed little kid and, when referring to the Spring album, kept repeating, "It's better than Pet Sounds, Wolfman."
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »

Not sure where I heard this, but in recent years a fan brought the American Spring album to one of Brian's signings. Brian asked if he could have it.  I guess he doesn't have a copy.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 06:07:55 PM »

Not sure where I heard this, but in recent years a fan brought the American Spring album to one of Brian's signings. Brian asked if he could have it.  I guess he doesn't have a copy.
Classic!

Would love to hear BW & company do "Sweet Mountain," but I've got about 100 rarities that I dream of BW playing...

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 07:23:49 PM »

Who's the male voice in Good Time that sings on that part that's not in the BBs version?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »

Do you mean the Turn On Your Radio line? It sounds like Mike or more probably Sandler. Sandler can be heard on Thinkin About My Baby pretty clear.
XY
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 11:57:19 PM »

"well it rained on the mountain, the mountain of love" on "Sweet Mountain"? Those sound like Brian to these ears.

If it's Brian, it's the first song his voice changes in the rough 15 BIG ONES direction. But since he didn't sound like that on any other recordings until 1975, I tend to believe that could be David Sandler...

Quote from: Amy B.

I've read that too, very funny. It shoud be noted that the fan didn't give it to Brian. He also mentioned how much he loved the voices of M & D.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:58:31 PM by Jasper » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 01:02:07 AM »

"well it rained on the mountain, the mountain of love" on "Sweet Mountain"? Those sound like Brian to these ears.

If it's Brian, it's the first song his voice changes in the rough 15 BIG ONES direction. But since he didn't sound like that on any other recordings until 1975, I tend to believe that could be David Sandler...

It's Brian, according to both Marilyn and Steve Desper when I asked them at different times (1985/1993). It's also Brian on the 2nd response vocal in the last verse.

As for the 'male' voice in "Good Time", all I hear is one of the girls singling low, double tracked.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 02:01:52 AM »

Quote from: Amy B.

I've read that too, very funny. It shoud be noted that the fan didn't give it to Brian. He also mentioned how much he loved the voices of M & D.

Wasn't the album - it was a pic sleeve promo of the first single.  Grin

MBE
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 02:20:37 AM »

It sounds like Brian on the low part of Sweet Mountain but note he is not hoarse. He is putting on a voice trying to do a do wop type deal.  When I spoke to him I asked him about his voice changing and he said that part of it was wanting to try something new. So even when he had basically his full range , it seems like he was exprimenting with a "manly" tone.
XY
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 03:00:38 AM »

That's how I remembered it, and that this person wrote that "Tennessee Waltz" was a song on this single. I checked your site and couldn't find a single with TW and thought my memory was wrong.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 06:35:40 AM »

That's how I remembered it, and that this person wrote that "Tennessee Waltz" was a song on this single. I checked your site and couldn't find a single with TW and thought my memory was wrong.

It was a European release. The fan in question is Michael Wiberg from Sweden, now forever famous as the guy who said "No" to Brian Wilson.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx