gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680900 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 11:53:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 415971 times)
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 01:23:28 PM »

I agree, to a large extent. That's why I initiated the asterisk system, since it keeps the lead vocal clear. I think unaccompanied lines are definitely "lead vocals". Carl was going to get a lead vocal credit in bold on Little Bird, but liner notes aside, Brian isn't.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2007, 02:01:44 PM »

I agree, to a large extent. That's why I initiated the asterisk system, since it keeps the lead vocal clear. I think unaccompanied lines are definitely "lead vocals". Carl was going to get a lead vocal credit in bold on Little Bird, but liner notes aside, Brian isn't.

I agree that unaccompanied lines should get credit as such, as an asterisk if the part is minimal, as Dennis' "round" line in I Get Around obviously is. Don't want to break out a Friends LP argument too soon here, but Carl's part in Little Bird is sung in unison with Dennis IMO, and is not a solo or "lead" line. To give Carl credit for that would be equal to giving Carl and Dennis credit for their unison part in the song "All Summer Long" which follows Brian and Mike's in every verse.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »

Here's a funny question...do we know for absolute certain that Carl sings the "what a day, what a day" lead line on "Little Bird?"  I'm not calling it into question on aural grounds -- it sounds exactly like Carl to me, too -- just reflecting that it's just funny (although certainly not unheard of in Beach Boys lore) that he pops in for one line like that, and '68 era Dennis was capable of sounding a lot like Carl.  So it's conceivable to me that it's just Dennis in a fluky way sounding like Carl

I think it was Carl, myself, possibly pinch-hitting with a line that Dennis had trouble with, but I was just asking if it had ever  been verified or that we were all just assuming it was him because it sounds exactly like him?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2007, 02:26:38 PM »

I think it's Carl, and I don't know if Denny had trouble, to me it sounds like just a guy diggin' his brother's voice and giving him a line to sing. And the wide-eyed innocence Carl brings to that line proves Denny right.

Is it sung in unison, Jon? I just thought it was Carl solo. Heh, we are jumping the gun a little here.
MBE
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 02:29:55 PM »

The last verse of Little Bird is Brian and Dennis on lead.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2007, 02:31:11 PM »

Here's a funny question...do we know for absolute certain that Carl sings the "what a day, what a day" lead line on "Little Bird?"  I'm not calling it into question on aural grounds -- it sounds exactly like Carl to me, too -- just reflecting that it's just funny (although certainly not unheard of in Beach Boys lore) that he pops in for one line like that, and '68 era Dennis was capable of sounding a lot like Carl.  So it's conceivable to me that it's just Dennis in a fluky way sounding like Carl

I think it was Carl, myself, possibly pinch-hitting with a line that Dennis had trouble with, but I was just asking if it had ever  been verified or that we were all just assuming it was him because it sounds exactly like him?

Can't speak for anyone else, but it's been verified to me by someone who was there. [hint: birthday boy  Smiley]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »

Definitely Carl on What a day...etc... I think I may be mixing the unison thing up with In The Back Of My Mind, which has a unison Carl/Dennis line. So I'll save the All Summer Long argument when we get to BB's Today!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 02:53:34 PM »

OK, I'll buy that.  Any idea why he came in for that one line, Andrew?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »

Are we talking about "Little Bird...looked down, and sang a so-ong to me" to the CIFOTM-sounding backing track right at the end? Because I'm planning on asterisking it, but unless there's a good case, I don't think it should be classed as a lead...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2007, 04:02:58 PM »

Are we talking about "Little Bird...looked down, and sang a so-ong to me" to the CIFOTM-sounding backing track right at the end? Because I'm planning on asterisking it, but unless there's a good case, I don't think it should be classed as a lead...

Yeah, you're right it shouldn't be a lead, unless we change some other things like All Summer Long...hee! MAN we are really ahead of ourselves here with this Little Bird business. Order in the court!!! Let's get back to 1964 dudes.
MBE
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2007, 07:19:21 PM »

No it's the part right before that. It has the "CIFOTM" horns and has a high part. Brian is really up in the vinyl mix at least. Brian co-wrote the song btw but didn't take credit.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2007, 05:53:10 AM »

Ah, yes, I know the part you mean. Well, we'll leave it till we get there.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2007, 08:18:22 AM »

John, if you're gonna give Brian Co-credit on I get around you have to give it to him as well on Little Deuce Coup. Its a pretty prominent vocal (She's my little Deuce Coup. You dunno what I've got!).
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2007, 08:42:08 AM »

I think its fairer to call Dennis' ending note on Grad. Day "off mic" and not "off key".
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2007, 10:00:46 AM »

Jon: Ha! Done!

Pixletwin: Don't really agree, Bri sings the lead on the whole chorus of I Get Around solo. Coupe is just his voice most prominent amongst the harmonies, and shorter, t'boot!
 Grin
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:07:48 AM by John » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »

Pixletwin: Don't really agree, Bri sings the lead on the whole chorus of I Get Around solo. Coupe is just his voice most prominent amongst the harmonies, and shorter, t'boot!
 Grin

I find that highyly debateable. His harmony is clearly the main melody.And its only one measure shy of his solo on I Get Around. If you you were a camera man you would clearly have the camera on Brian during the LDC vocal. But ah well... You be da moderator on dis one my fren'.

:D
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »

Let's take a vote amongst the thread regulars, I think that's the fairest way to do it...
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »

Although I'm irregular.....

I see the argument for Brian on LDC's chorus, but I feel like his vocal is too "blended" into the other vocals to get credit.

Whereas, on IGA Brian's chorus vocal is more separated and distinct from the "get around, round, round....." harmonies.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2007, 11:03:07 AM »

I agree with Fourteen.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »

Maybe an asterisk, then...? I'm in agreement with both you guys...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »

Maybe an asterisk, then...? I'm in agreement with both you guys...

I'll settle for an asterix. LOL Cheesy
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2007, 01:14:26 PM »

Done and done.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2007, 02:13:44 PM »

You know what you should do John? Once an album has been debated and settled you should add the results to your first post. That way it will be easier to go back and look without having to hunt all over the thread.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2007, 02:17:59 PM »

Good idea. I was thinking that when we've done it, we ask the mod to split the albums only into one thread and then I'll rename this "Definite Vocal Thread Discussion".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »

I think the technical difference between I GET AROUND and LITTLE DEUCE COUPE is that on IGA, the falsetto line is totally autonomous from the underlying harmonies...it does its own thing.  On LDC, IIRC, it only splits off at "got..." (and perhaps at the beginning, "she's my...", I don't have the record here to check).

So an argument could be made on technical grounds that the IGA chorus is the lead vocal, and on LDC, it's the top part of the harmony arrangement.  I don't personally have a vote, though.  Makes no nevermind to me...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx