gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680905 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 06:24:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Like Worms  (Read 2106 times)
ShenzhenLost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »

hey there,

funny thing is, i was looking through some old 'national geographic' magazines today and i came across a story about the first Europeans to arrive and settle in the states.  in that article it spoke about how those settlers brought over earthworms to help with the soil etc.  now, i know that both Brian and Van Dyke have said that they didn't write the title 'Do You Like Worms' on the tape box but it just made me think about the relevance OF that title...  is it possible that SOMEONE knew about that kind of thing or perhaps Van Dyke just FORGOT that he actually did come up with title? 
anyway, it just interested me enough to ask the question!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:01:23 PM »

i always thought it was something to do with the 'roll plymouth rock, roll over' aspect, cos as any adventurous youngster would know, flip a rock over and you find... worms! and that ties into the whole 'child is the father' thing as well. Although what you said sounds barmy-yet-logical enough to have come from Van Dyke too... That crazy fool  Roll Eyes

Hell, if anyone on the whole Smile train knew about the Pilgrims shipping over worms to fertilize the soil, it'd be Van Dyke Parks

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »

"Unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of heroes & villains"
"Out in the farmyard the chickens do their number..."
"Rhode Island" mentioned on one of Frank Holmes' illustrations
"Plymouth Rock" is another breed of chicken...

Do You Like Worms? Chickens like worms.

Said it before, I think there's a sub-theme going on in SMILE that's all chicken related.

“We live in divisive times.”
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »

Do You Like Worms sounds like a title Brian would think of.

Brian: hurry up Mike, finish combing your beard, we have to lay vocals down on this new track.
Mike: oh yeah? what's it called?
Brian: Do You Like Worms!
Mike: ... did your dad hit you in the head with a dinner plate or something?
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:21:46 PM »

I read a similar article about worms inadvertently being transported to the New World in the soil of tobacco plants.  The worms thrived, changed the soil, consumed tree litter, and actually contributed to the deforestation of the land surrounding Jamestown in Virginia.  As this was the essential habitat of First Nations in the area they were driven back not only by military and agricultural encroachment, but by ecological disruption as well.

So 'Do You Like Worms?'  Not if you're a First Nation!  Perhaps a rhetorical question wholly fitting the song's sentiments.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:17:19 PM by Compost » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »

When and why did "Do You Like Worms" become "Do You Dig Worms", or the other way around? Either way, it's one of my top 5 favorite BB song titles.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »

i always thought it was something to do with the 'roll plymouth rock, roll over' aspect, cos as any adventurous youngster would know, flip a rock over and you find... worms!
I've always thought the same thing.

Despite what Brian and Van Dyke might be saying now, I have to believe that DYL(or dig)W  was going to be the title in '66-'67.   If it wasn't, why the heck is it in the Smile booklet and on the back cover?  Capitol wasn't just making stuff up.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »

I read a similar article about worms inadvertently being transported to the New World in the soil of tobacco plants.  The worms thrived, changed the soil, consumed tree litter, and actually contributed to the deforestation of the land surrounding Jamestown in Virginia.  As this was the essential habitat of First Nations in the area they were driven back not only by military and agricultural encroachment, but by ecological disruption as well.

So 'Do You Like Worms?'  Not if you're a First Nation!  Perhaps a rhetorical question wholly fitting the song's sentiments.
Wow.  Really? 

That's pretty crazy.  But introducing new species to new envrions, as we all know, can really fun things up.  A kind of metaphor for..."hey kid...you like drugs?"

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

i always thought it was something to do with the 'roll plymouth rock, roll over' aspect, cos as any adventurous youngster would know, flip a rock over and you find... worms!
I've always thought the same thing.

Despite what Brian and Van Dyke might be saying now, I have to believe that DYL(or dig)W  was going to be the title in '66-'67.   If it wasn't, why the heck is it in the Smile booklet and on the back cover?  Capitol wasn't just making stuff up.

I agree.  I would think that if it was a working title, they would have come up with a "real" title before submitting a list to Capitol, even if it was just to get them off Brian's back.  It's not as if the song didn't have lyrics, so they could have changed the title at any time, but didn't. 

Like others have said, the title does connect with the song, and I think it's one of the coolest song titles ever.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx