gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680932 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 12:44:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love -vs- Dave Guard: The stage patter influence  (Read 1810 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »

Welcome to the least interesting thread in the history of this board.

We all know The Kingston Trio had an impact on our boys: Everything from the striped shirts to The Wreck of the Sloop John B. I was listening to those 1967 soundboard recordings and enjoying Mike Love's "erudite wisecracker" persona he was cultivating during this period. It occurs to me that it was very similar to the type of stage patter used by Dave Guard during his tenure as the MC of The Kingston Trio's live shows. Hard to explain but the effect is sort of an MC who's above it all, self-deprecating and relating to a hipster college crowd (very different from how Mike spoke from the stage in 1964...or even today for that matter). For example, bust out your "Live in London" album and then listen to Dave Guard's stage patter live at the Hungry i:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQnOcxSQGRs

Just an observation on one of the least likeliest topics anyone would ever think about. Let page after page of thrilling discourse commence! (Dave Guard could've said that)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:33:46 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »

Or not
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »

It's an interesting premise, one I'll have to investigate. I'll check out your link later. Seems like there's only enough free time to read for short bursts, but I wish I could engage in a lengthier discussion and actually check out links and bring an educated opinion to your post.

Smiley

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:59 AM »

Definitely some similarities there.
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »

I can add another similarity to these 'Pisces Brothers' in the making. I knew Dave in the eighties as he was a staff member of a world wide meditation organization, although not TM. One of the funniest guys I ever met, never talked about his past fame. He did his thing, kept his head down and was upbeat with everyone....never a discouraging word was heard....
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »

...never talked about his past fame. He did his thing, kept his head down and was upbeat with everyone....never a discouraging word was heard....

Yeah, that sounds just like Mike.  Wink

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx