gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 05:03:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Latest interview with Mike (some reunion content)  (Read 6980 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »

So it's settled then. Brian's band is the best.  

Mike & Bruce will never be "The Beach Boys" without Al and even Dave. Whatever happened to that requirement that there be a minimum of 3 members before they can call themselves "The Beach Boys"?

The clause in the contract used to say there had to be at least one Wilson on stage for the band to be billed as "The Beach Boys": that was revised decades ago.

Anybody can come up with ex Papa Do Run Run members and call themselves "The Beach Boys". And then we throw in a Cowsill and Mike Love's son and your band is complete. From all counts, Scott Totten is an excellent band leader, though, and demands the best out of everyone. That's good to know. But.........have members of "The Beach Boys" band put out any albums? How many Wondermints and Brian solo albums are out there with Brian's band members writing and playing and singing their butts off?  

Well, young Cowsill's been on a few albums with his first band, and with one exception, all the 'Mints albums were released before they signed up. Same for Jeff (who is a current member of Papa, and whose first BB-related job, btw, was working with Mike & The Endless Summer Beach Band - just think, Mike's partly responsible for everything Brian's done since 1998 !).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:59:20 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »

I'm not a professional musician, but I'd say any band (whether it's Brian's, Mike's, or Al's) that can play and sing that complex music night after night and sound great doing it is excellent.

I'm with Amy.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »

Listen to Brian's band play stuff like "Marcella" and tell me they can't rock.

I still give Mike's band the edge in rocking. In terms of musicianship Brian's band is the best and they have loosened up since the new rythme section joined but they still don't rock like Mike's band.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

I'm not a professional musician, but I'd say any band (whether it's Brian's, Mike's, or Al's) that can play and sing that complex music night after night and sound great doing it is excellent.

I'm with Amy.

Agreed.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »

Quote from: Ron
I doubt Al Jardine has been within 200 miles of Charlotte, NC since he WAS in the Beach Boys.

Al played a private (corporate) show in Charlotte back in 2001. I was there.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:11:13 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Jason
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »

But they've definitely been an uphill battle. Part of that was the lack of band chemistry in the beginning, part of it was Brian's relative unease in performing live by himself, that is, without the Beach Boys. As musicians, Brian's band ranges from spectacular to merely ok. Jeff, like him or not, still can hit those high notes, and he's a fine guitarist. Scott and Probyn are by far the two most well-rounded musicians in the band by far. They're both excellent guitarists. Scott's a fine drummer and pianist as well. Probyn works great as one-half of the horn section, and he's a decent bassist whenever Brian goes on tour with the six-man group. Darian has the hardest working hair in showbiz, but seriously, the man has arguably the best voice in the band (watch him NAIL Darlin') and he's an excellent pianist. Nick is the other great singer in the band, and also a great guitarist. Mike and Nelson are both great at drums and percussion and both have been in each other's seats. Brett is a good bassist. Taylor is Taylor. Let's be glad she carries a tune.

Yes, I would say that in the beginning, Brian's band had the unique challenge of having to worry about Brian's well being, even to the point of wondering if he'd just walk off stage at any time. It had to be hard for them to relax at first. Plus most of them didn't come together organically. It's funny how you say they range from "spectacular to merely ok," but then proceed to describe nearly all of them in glowing terms. Sounds like you're saying Taylor is the least of them, maybe because she doesn't play an instrument. But I'd say her singing is superb. Some of those Smile parts in particular were tough, and she always sounded spot on.  I'm not a professional musician, but I'd say any band (whether it's Brian's, Mike's, or Al's) that can play and sing that complex music night after night and sound great doing it is excellent.

The "merely ok" was meant to extend towards the Illinois contingent that played in the band from March to July of 1999, referring to Joe Thomas and Steve Dahl. The post was worded a bit poorly, but you helped me get the rest of it out properly! Brian's band has been lucky to get the slouches out early on.

Let's not forget that Gary Griffin and Billy Hinsche have backed up Brian as well. Everyone knows how good they are.

The Taylor comment was my way of saying that she's the obvious eye candy (for us guys and some girls), and that she's a great singer on top of it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:17:41 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 10:22:31 AM »

Gary is okay. It's a bit tough, because he's the "hits tour" keyboardist, and by definition Brian is often less engaged in those kind of shows.

Last fall, for whatever reason, Darian committed to come on the U.S. "hits tour," and it was great, so you have to wonder.

I tend to think the political situation in Brian's band makes it difficult sometimes. If everyone is walking on eggshells periodically, not wanting to offend or ask for too much or stick their necks out -- that hardly makes for a great show, does it? The situation a couple of years ago with Lizik and Hines comes to mind.

But then, it wouldn't be a Brian Wilson tour without barely suppressed psychodrama, would it?
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »

What exactly was the issue with the old rythme section?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 10:27:32 AM »

..........and did I neglect to say that another member of Brian's band has a few albums of his own under his belt? Ol' Jeff Foskett.

As far as Al's players who aren't with him for all of his gigs these days but were during the past decade...........ex Beach Boys alumnus Hinsche, Carter, Dragon, Figueroa, and Marks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:29:01 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »

You talkin' about the Tasty Brothers?  Ask Melinda Wilson.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »

So seriously, he wasn't born in Peoria? And is the adoption story also made up? And "Benjamin Baldwin"?  That sounds fishy to me.

There was an article last summer in the Lake Oconee Living magazine (forget which month exactly, may have been June) with an interview with one of Bruce's half-sisters here in Georgia. Yes, Bruce was adopted and Baldwin was his original last name. He's apparently related to THE Baldwin family in Georgia (think founding fathers of the USA, not modern actors).

And Bruce was born in the metro Chicago area. You do the math.

Thanks for that, Emdeeh. Peoria is a good 150 miles from Chicago, so I'm still suspicious about him being born there if his family lived in Chicago, but stranger things have happened. If he was born there, it's possible he lived in the area for a while.

I'm interested in hearing more about Bruce's adoption story, it seems like the info out there is pretty sparse right now. Maybe if Bruce ever writes his autobiography ("I Write the Books? lol), we'll get the full scoop
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »

One things for certain, Brett Simons plays his ass off on the new Gershwin album. Superb basslines, I noticed them outright on almost every song---and with not a whole lot of bass boost mind you.

I always thought the combination of Darian, Scott, Probyn, Taylor, Jeff and Nicky was a beautiful vocal sound, listen to their take on "Lay Down Burden" compared to Brian's version. Have mercy!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »

Each guy seems to have his own territory clearly marked - Mike and Bruce have the classic hits market covered, Brian's band target the more arty aspects of the BB's back catalogue whilst pushing forward with new material in a similar vein, whilst Al falls between the two focusing mainly on all the great 'lost' tracks throughout the years. Between them they pretty much have all bases covered.

What's all this about? I'm intrigued..............

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »

She told me to ask you.

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »

I believe there was a dispute over the tracking sessions for TLOS. Money, as is so often the case, seems to have been involved.

Both sides decided it was better to part. Bob is still featured on the album, though, because his bass from the live debut of the piece was used (I think). Brett pops up for a track or two.

Things were tense in the band for a time after that, from reports. Brian seemed to have been unaware of the wrangling, and was disappointed about the departures.

That all being said -- it was fantastic to get Mikey back in the band, and Brett is fabulous.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:09:39 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »

She told me to ask you.

I'm no Stool Pigeon.  Ask AGD.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »

I saw "The men who stare at Goats" the other night, and the whole movie is about psychic research by the U.S. Army.  It's a comedy.  Anyways, there's this scene where they ask this psychic a question, and his answer is "Go Ask Angela Landsbury". 

So a few days goes by, and this stuffy general walks up to the guy running the program and says "We asked Angela Landsbury.  She didn't know what we were talking about". 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2010, 02:39:06 PM »

Mike & Bruce will never be "The Beach Boys" without Al and even Dave. Whatever happened to that requirement that there be a minimum of 3 members before they can call themselves "The Beach Boys"?

Anybody can come up with ex Papa Do Run Run members and call themselves "The Beach Boys". And then we throw in a Cowsill and Mike Love's son and your band is complete. From all counts, Scott Totten is an excellent band leader, though, and demands the best out of everyone. That's good to know. But.........have members of "The Beach Boys" band put out any albums? How many Wondermints and Brian solo albums are out there with Brian's band members writing and playing and singing their butts off?  Quite a few, eh? Has the current incarnation of "The Beach Boys" played Pet Sounds or SMiLE in its entirety? No. So much for playing the artsy fartsy stuff, Mike & Bruce can stick with playing the travelin' jukebox of hits......

Listen to Brian's band play stuff like "Marcella" and tell me they can't rock.
Mikie - AGD has cleared up that "Wilson and "membership" (quorum?) requirement.  But like it or not, they "are" the Beach Boys.  No one complains when a new Rolling Stone is on stage or in Fleetwood Mac or any other rock band.   They are accepted and life goes on.

The Beach Boys use "Cool Head, Warm Heart," and Kokomo which are not "Brian" songs.  They are different bands, but the Beach Boys seem to sing in the signature "interlocked" vocals and the invisible "baton" of Scott Totten is amazing.  He has taken them to a new level.  I think Carl would be pleased with their fine work.   They play to a different demographic than Brian, whom I have seen no fewer than 8 times, even bringing one of my kids who loves Pet Sounds to see Brian, live.  

Brian's group is not the "toddler-to-grandparent" dynamic as is the Beach Boys.  It is a more "arty" or they perceive themselves as "arty" group.  I love the music and love to finally hear Brian, as he had that long "pose" in his career.  

Brian's band is different, not better or worse than Mike's in that vocally they are not on "lock" in the same manner as the Beach Boys.  They tend to be more "orchestral" than the 7 guys on stage in the Beach Boys. [Although I have seen the "stripped down" version of Brian's Band, and they were great, too.]  I would love to see the Beach Boys play with a symphony at some point.  Much of the music lends itself to that "presentation."  Brian's band is Brian's "vision" for the way in which he wants to present his work.  There is nothing wrong with that.  

And I do also love Marcella and Rhonda on the rockin' 73 Concert which I listen to a lot, even still.  You have not seen "Rhonda" until you have seen John Cowsill swagger across the stage and whip the crowd into a frenzy.  And he does double duty on the congas alongside his "percussion section."  It is a highlight of the show; he is a tremendous performer in his own right, and can really get that audience to "respond" to his work.  

Every one of those guys does a great job and most take a "lead" for several songs. Tim Bonhomme is "working" four keyboards simultaneously, Randell and his "fabulous falsetto" brings the old "So Young" doo wop to life and Christian Love does an amazing job with Good Vibrations.  People leave "drained and drenched" (in sweaty exhaustion!)  

Brian tends to sing most of the leads in his shows.  And the crowd is rockin' at the end of the night.  No question. And there is a lot of pride in the audience for Brian's accomplishments and his "comeback."   It tends to bring people out who have been long-time Beach Boys fans, who, not unlike myself, did not lay my eyes on Brian for about 20 years.  They seem to be "making up for lost time" when Brian was not around.  His is a "niche" market.  

The fans seem to be happy with both bands and that is really the answer to this eternal and infernal question.   You see more Hawaiian shirts at Mike and Bruce's shows and more "théâtre attire" (depending on the venue) for Brian, but both groups seem happy to attend and have a great time.  Either way, the music can't be beat.   Cool    

What happens is ultimately up to them.  Not the fans.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »

I think that's on the mark.

I wish Al played more. I wish he brought those In Concert guys along with him across the country.

I didn't praise his band enough in a previous post. Al can be really awesome live. If Mike's about the concept and Brian's about the legend, Al is about the music as a rocking, meaty, grooving thing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »

But like it or not, they "are" the Beach Boys.  No one complains when a new Rolling Stone is on stage or in Fleetwood Mac or any other rock band.   They are accepted and life goes on.

Fillthepage:

I have a complaint. You brought up two good bands that I have gripes with. I think it sucks that Blondie Chaplin is no longer a Beach Boy and is now a Rolling Stone. And Beach Boy Dennis Wilson's ex-girfriend is no longer with Fleetwood Mac which is a travesty! Life goes on, but it's sure a drag without them!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:10:20 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »

You have not seen "Rhonda" until you have seen John Cowsill swagger across the stage and whip the crowd into a frenzy.

That's nothin'. In 1974, I saw Dennis Wilson streak nekkid across the stage during "Help Me Rhonda". Something else was whipped into a frenzy - not just the crowd!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:48:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »

I have seen no fewer than 8 times, even bringing one of my kids who loves Pet Sounds to see Brian, live.

You've seen the Mike & Bruce show 8 times? Wow. Do they give you backstage passes and free shirts and programs too? If not, they should for all the support and promotion you're giving them here!  Smiley

What happens is ultimately up to them.  Not the fans.

Well, ultimately it is the fans who choose whether to buy tickets to the shows or not, right?

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »

I have seen no fewer than 8 times, even bringing one of my kids who loves Pet Sounds to see Brian, live.

You've seen the Mike & Bruce show 8 times? Wow. Do they give you backstage passes and free shirts and programs too? If not, they should for all the support and promotion you're giving them here!  Smiley

What happens is ultimately up to them.  Not the fans.

Mikie-Mikie-Mikie - what I said was related to "Brian" shows since he started touring...the 8 shows...

Dennis' streaking would whip the crowd into a frenzy - he would not even need to sing!  It is a shame about Dennis' former girlfriend (McVie) not being with Fleetwood Mac.  I used those bands only as examples of bands whose fans were "accepting of new band members" not for any particular reason...It took me a while ( a couple of years ) to "watch and appreciate" the talent of the new guys.
It is not the same.  So what.  Change can be good and life goes on.  The music is the "star" of the show!

When I saw the Stones, Blondie was with them.  I could not have been more proud of Mick's good taste in vocalists.  I think "our" guys sang with him first!  I thought I was "balanced" with the bands...Brian has a fantastic band and I just love to see Nelson Bragg do his percussion section as well as Probyn Gregory and the rest.  I did see Al Jardine in '06 when he toured with Brian and he was well received.  It is too bad that he does not tour in my area with his band.  I would go see him, too!   

The last "few" shows (I am not counting... LOL) were sold out.  [Mike and Bruce's] - so I guess the "decision to get tickets" is pretty evident. Fans are buying them. 

I hope "you" have seen them recently. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »

Fillepage, you're a superfan, and that's admirable. I've seen your reviews on BB Britain and Mike & Bruce and the band must think you're the uppermost of the toppermost! Glad to see that you've attended both their shows and Brian's and have gotten your kids involved in Beach Boy fandom too. That's very cool.  Grin

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

Fillepage, you're a superfan, and that's admirable. I've seen your reviews on BB Britain and Mike & Bruce and the band must think you're the uppermost of the toppermost! Glad to see that you've attended both their shows and Brian's and have gotten your kids involved in Beach Boy fandom too. That's very cool.  Grin

Thanks Mikie, for those kind words...it is such a pleasure to see them (and Brian) "bringing the music" to the people after all the "ups and downs" of their long career.     

You must remember too, that a lot of rock groups just "gave up" when small things "went south" - and for whatever reason, the Boys just kept going.  Even Carl when he was so sick; he never gave up.  Who is not affected by that? It is almost as if the "music" carried us all along witnessing that courage Carl had.       

There are lots of really passionate fans "out there" and especially in the Northeast, where we don't have much good "warm" weather so we enjoy it to the max!  When the Boys come back each year, we see many of the same faces (lots of old college and even high school friends) so it is a really cool night out as well.

Hope it was at least "warm" when you saw Dennis streak!   Wink 

Thanks again ~ Cool   

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx