gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 01:00:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: was 'shut down vol.2' really a good album title?  (Read 1861 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »

considering 'shut down' the LP was a compilation by Capitol which only had 2 Beach Boys songs on it.....
why would they go with a title like 'shut down vol.2'?........it just seems odd.....

Anybody have a better title for the album?

Also, does this mean having 'Shut Down' (Vol.1) is essential for the BB collection?Huh how do you have a part 2 without having part 1..?...??....

RickB
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »

I wouldn't call it a "good" album title, but it sure sounds cool.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »

considering 'shut down' the LP was a compilation by Capitol which only had 2 Beach Boys songs on it.....
why would they go with a title like 'shut down vol.2'?........it just seems odd.....

Also, does this mean having 'Shut Down' (Vol.1) is essential for the BB collection?Huh how do you have a part 2 without having part 1..?...??....

RickB

I don't know was "Something New", "Beatles VI" and "The Beatles' Second Album" really stunners as far as album titles go?  They sound like they had all of two minutes worth of thought put into them and I've often wondered why they just didn't poach the UK titles for the albums.  For example you could've had "Meet The Beatles" and "With The Beatles" (US) instead of "The Beatles Second Album".  You could have had "Beatles 65'" (an actual decent title despite the fact that the record was released in the final quarter of 1964 and therefore was comprised of 1964 recordings) and "Beatles For Sale" (US) instead of "Beatles VI".  

On second thought I'm glad they didn't go this route as it would've made things even more confusing than it was in the eighties when the Capitol Beatles albums were deleted in favor of the UK catalog.  Anyhow back to your original question, at least in my opinion except in spirit "Shut Down (Volume 1)" is not an essential LP for your Beach Boys collection.

Edit: I've read on a couple of websites that titling the record "Shut Down (Volume 2)" was Brian's way of letting Capitol know that he was displeased with them poaching Beach Boys songs for their "Shut Down (Volume 1)" compilation.  Sort of a more subtle maneuver on his part in comparison to what The Beatles would do a few years later with "The Butcher Cover" allegedly poking Capitol in the eye for butchering their LPs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:10:10 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »

I like to think of it as being deliberately out-there and alternative, in much the same way the Beastie Boys released an album called Hot Sauce Committee Part 2, despite not having actually released a Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 (which was recorded but left in the vaults). I imagine had the Beach Boys/Capitol known people would still be discussing the group 50+ years hence they might have considered naming the album differently...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:06:29 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »

No Beach Boys collection is complete without Robert Mitchum singing "The Ballad of Thunder Road."  Grin

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »

RickB

[snip]

Edit: I've read on a couple of websites that titling the record "Shut Down (Volume 2)" was Brian's way of letting Capitol know that he was displeased with them poaching Beach Boys songs for their "Shut Down (Volume 1)" compilation.  Sort of a more subtle maneuver on his part in comparison to what The Beatles would do a few years later with "The Butcher Cover" allegedly poking Capitol in the eye for butchering their LPs.

Good stuff. Not sure those are completely reliable sources, but I love the rebellious spirit manifested therein.

Based on the recent events in BB history, maybe Brian should consider titling his next solo record "Shut Down, Vol. 51"...  3D
zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:57:07 PM by zatch » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »

RickB

I don't know was "Something New", "Beatles VI" and "The Beatles' Second Album" really stunners as far as album titles go?  They sound like they had all of two minutes worth of thought put into them and I've often wondered why they just didn't poach the UK titles for the albums.  For example you could've had "Meet The Beatles" and "With The Beatles" (US) instead of "The Beatles Second Album".  You could have had "Beatles 65'" (an actual decent title despite the fact that the record was released in the final quarter of 1964 and therefore was comprised of 1964 recordings) and "Beatles For Sale" (US) instead of "Beatles VI".  

On second thought I'm glad they didn't go this route as it would've made things even more confusing than it was in the eighties when the Capitol Beatles albums were deleted in favor of the UK catalog.  Anyhow back to your original question, at least in my opinion except in spirit "Shut Down (Volume 1)" is not an essential LP for your Beach Boys collection.

What do you mean by poaching, exactly?

The impression I've gotten from what I've read on this subject is that Brian Wilson if given the final say as to whether or not Beach Boys songs would've been included on "Shut Down (Volume 1)" would've opted for their exclusion rather than inclusion.  Again just based on what I read, he wasn't impressed at all by that package and the fact that two of his songs were cherry picked and dropped onto an album that was NOT a Beach Boys record in anything other than the fact that the record in question featured two of their songs.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:05:48 AM »

I think the group considered the title to be a bit of a joke? Isn't there that Carl quote about the advanced lyrical & musical content that 'we couldn't call it Shut Down Vol. 3'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx