gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 12:22:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Unknown Track?"  (Read 2869 times)
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »

question: does anyone know the title of what's labeled as "Unknown Track" on Dumb Angel 1? and where it comes from/what its story is? going by its heavenly quality, the huge sound and the sheer genius of it, i'm guessing it's some kind of scrapped piece or idea from the original Smile sessions...but i'd like to hear all i can about this song. it's one of my favorite Beach Boys songs, and i don't even know its real name. (presuming it has one)

as for those of you who don't have DA1 and might know it by a real name, it's a rather long, spellbinding a capella track that goes through the same chord progression over and over, with the occasional subtle variation. even better than "Our Prayer" as music to pray to, in my opinion, as far as one of Brian's initial goals for Smile goes.

and yes, i registered just to ask this.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:43:01 PM »

I think what you're talking about is the vocal bit that got used on the outro to "Breakaway". It was recorded around that time (I've heard that it was possibly during the Friends sessions, not sure), and is not from Smile.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:58:04 PM »

That's it - it's the "Break Away" tag bvs. Nothing to do with Smile at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:31:12 PM »

Well what about the unknown piano intermezzo on the pet Sounds SOT? I always ask this but I don't think anyone knows. It's quite beautiful and sounds like a classical piece but I'm always curious if it's a Brian original or not. Anybody recognise what he's playing?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »

Well what about the unknown piano intermezzo on the pet Sounds SOT? I always ask this but I don't think anyone knows. It's quite beautiful and sounds like a classical piece but I'm always curious if it's a Brian original or not. Anybody recognise what he's playing?

SOT? that means the Sessions box set, right?

and boy — when you suggested this thing might be buried in "Break Away" somewhere, i could hardly believe it. but then i went and listened, and by God, you're right. insane! it sounds positively ethereal when isolated...and though a nice touch in "Break Away," the beautiful simplicity of it is certainly lost. do we know if it was looped by bootleggers, or the band created some extended, a capella loop of it for some purpose or another? it sounds almost too well done to be a bootleg loop (especially when it changes up a bit, in a way i don't think is on "Break Away"), but dang...either way, doesn't stop me from enjoying what i guess i'll still keep tagged as "Uknown Track." it sounds like meditation.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »

Yeah pretty much - They put out over 20 bootlegs of studio sessions as well as a live collection - all in pristine sound quality. Of course, I don't have these, I've just read about them....

and boy — when you suggested this thing might be buried in "Break Away" somewhere, i could hardly believe it. but then i went and listened, and by God, you're right. insane! it sounds positively ethereal when isolated...and though a nice touch in "Break Away," the beautiful simplicity of it is certainly lost. do we know if it was looped by bootleggers, or the band created some extended, a capella loop of it for some purpose or another? it sounds almost too well done to be a bootleg loop (especially when it changes up a bit, in a way i don't think is on "Break Away"), but dang...either way, doesn't stop me from enjoying what i guess i'll still keep tagged as "Uknown Track." it sounds like meditation.

Yeah it's pretty incredible, but I guess it just shows the brilliant vocal arrangements that Brian was capable of. I mean most songs are filled with great vocal arrangements. The Warmth of the Sun has always been one of my favourite songs and to hear Jeff Foskett redo each individual part and hear them isolated was a real revelation for me personally and things like that just heighten your appreciation for Brian's talents at the time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:48:58 PM by mikeyj » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »

I've heard this attributed to Dennis.  In the Pet Sounds Sessions Box it was included in the session highlights for "That's Not Me", so maybe it's on that reel?

Sea Of Tunes, a very *ahem* unofficial release.

You have to realize, unlike a lot of groups, bootleg Beach Boys material has come from inside the vaults, a lot of it from the actual multitracks.  In the case of a song like Breakaway, nearly all of those tracks have been bootlegged in one form or another.  Of course, I've only read about all of this, and am patiently waiting for the official release.   angel
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:16 AM »

How does the Dumb Angel label relate to the Sea Of Tunes one? And what is the quality of the releases of Dumb Angel # 1-10?

Needless to say I never heard or saw of these brands, let alone that I ever made an attempt to come into possession of any of their despicable products, folks.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:04:22 AM »

Dumb Angel was a label created by the Sea of Tunes people to collect Beach Boys outtakes and live performances not part of the the Sea of tunes series.  Quality if variable, from poor to excellent, depending on the source - most of it was sourced from other bootlegs, although there were some first to boot live stuff like the first London 68 concert, California Feeling (the vinyl boot) tracks from tape rather than vinyl, etc.  Also they put out three CD's of Brian Wilson productions that had some first to boot tracks like Rabbit's Foot.  Worth seeking out but not the goldmine that the Sea of Tunes releases were.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:51:35 AM »

SOY.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »

Bicycle Rider -

thank you. Now I know for sure how to handle those shady dealers with their Ray-Bans who try to sell their unworthy 'product'. We should stand firm at all times!

...with the honourable exception that only the discerning eye can pick at any lucky time, of course...

sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »

SOY.

haha, +1
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:11:16 PM »

Let me guess. Sea Of Yawns?

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »

I've heard this attributed to Dennis.  In the Pet Sounds Sessions Box it was included in the session highlights for "That's Not Me", so maybe it's on that reel?

Thanks Ebb & Flow. It actually makes sense that it could be Dennis. I had never considered that. Reminds me of his kind of quasi-classical piano stuff. It's a beautiful piece.

Didn't realise it featured on the PS box. I'll have to dig that out again.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx