gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:00:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In Concert CD why?  (Read 1525 times)
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »

Anyone know why the first CD issue (CBS) of the "In Concert" sounds so bad ? It sounds like it was mastered from on off-centered vinyl record or else the tape is dragging causing the pitch to fluctuate. I thought maybe it was just my imagination but I have played it for other people over the years and most of them hear it too. Anyone know if  the Capitol version better?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »

The tape fluctuation theory may be correct...the CBS CD of "KTSA" had a tape "warble" on "Endless Harmony".  It was fixed and a replacement was offered to anyone who sent it the defective copy.  Bruce noticed it (he was probably interested enough to listen either 'cause he wrote the song or because he produced the album), and had CBS fix it.  Nobody in the band apparently noticed, or cared, that "MIU" had the "wrong" mixes of several songs.  If there is a warble on "In Concert", maybe none of the Beach Boys paid enough attention to notice it.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »

Capitol version of "In Concert" sounds excellent!

No problems at all...

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 03:39:34 PM »

Funny... but when I first heard the Capitol reissue of IN CONCERT (which sounds approximately 5,000 times better than the earlier CBS CD) I was almost convinced it had been remixed after I thought I heard a coupla tiny discrepancies.... particularly in the lead-in to "Heroes and Villains".... but I was told by someone at Capitol "absolutely not."

No matter.   The earlier CD release sounded awful.  The one that's now available sounds great. 

Alan
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:31:20 PM »

Brad Elliott at the time said that they used tape mastering instructions on the CD for Capitol intended for the LP in 73 but for whatever reason weren't used.  So the H&V leadin is longer as a result.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx