gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680889 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 03:56:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Single Mixes & LP Mixes  (Read 2430 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2007, 04:00:26 AM »

With the thread about Rock And Roll Music and the single versus the LP mix, it got me to thinking about how many of the BBs tracks have this duality. Just off the top of my head, the following jump to mind.

1.) Be True To Your School - 45 version & original LP version.
2.) Help Me Rhonda - see above
3.) Why Do Fools Fall In Love - remix of LP version
4.) Fun Fun Fun - a mono single mix, a mono LP mix & a stereo LP mix
5.) Barbara Ann - single and LP mix
6.) Caroline, No - no really different mixes, just one doesn't have the train effects
7.) Do It Again - LP version with workshop fragment
8.) Friends & Little Bird - mono single mixes and stereo LP mixes
9.) Add Some Music & Susie Cincinnati - see above
10.) Bluebirds Over The Mountain - see above and Dutch "single" mix (mastering mistake)
11.) Never Learn Not To Love - remixed from LP version into mono with different fade
12.) Cuddle Up - edited from LP mix
13.) Cool Cool Water - see above
14.) Rock And Roll Music - mastered for single then changed for final LP version
15.) It's OK - sped up and re-eq'd from LP mix
15.) Honkin' Down The Highway - edited from LP mix with guitar break removed
16.) Here Comes The Night - several different mixes from the master LP version
17.) Rock And Roll To The Rescue - several versions edited from LP version
18.) California Dreamin' - different LP and single mix
19.) Somewhere Near Japan - different LP and single mixes

Anyone else have any to add? I know there has to be more!

Bob F.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:17:08 AM »

6) Several PS-releases (also first pessings) have Caroline No as the closing track WITHOUT the train and dogbarking
18) California Dreamin' appeared on the Made In USA compilation and was released as a 45 in 1986. Bothe are the same. A couple of years earlier though a first mix of California Dreamin' was released on a cassette-only release called Rock N Roll City (one of several "Mike & Dean"-projects, but this specific tracks is from the BB)

- California Saga - California: different LP- and 45-mix
- the 45-version of Hey Little Tomboy (b-side Come Go With Me) is a longer edit.
- the US-45-version of Lady Lynda is a shorter edit compared to the LP-version (the intro is lacking for instance)
- on a Japanese sampler there's a different (waves-)mix of Sumahama
- there's a different edit of Problem Child, released on promo cd and cassette only (I think)

EDIT: forgot some...
- Living With A Heartache: 45-version (US-release) is a shorter edit.
- Schooldays: does this count? 45 only released as a promo, only a few copies seem to exist.

...and there's probably more...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 04:23:16 AM by smile-holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 04:28:01 AM »

...there's more:

- Wouldn't It Be Nice - live (from the 1970 Celebration-album): 45 is a shorter edit than the LP-version
- It's A Beautiful Day: 45 is a sorter edit compared to the LP-version
- (again) Sumahama: the 45 (b-side It's A Beautiful Day) is a longer edit compared to the LP-version

...there must be more...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
XY
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 04:49:10 AM »

"Little Saint Nick"
"All I Want To Do" - longer sexy fade-out
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 06:23:24 AM »

And don't forget that the LP version of Do It Again is actually a duophonic job, as the stereo two track flew out of the car on the way to deliver it to Capitol so a mono safety copy had to be used (and the echo-delay drum effect only existed on the two track mixdowns, which is why a stereo remix isn't happening).  So not only do you have the woodshop but you also have the last appearance to my knowledge of a duophonic BB mix.  Unless Cotton Fields had one; I suppose that's possible since no true stereo existed until Hawthorne.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 06:26:32 AM »

And don't forget that the LP version of Do It Again is actually a duophonic job, as the stereo two track flew out of the car on the way to deliver it to Capitol so a mono safety copy had to be used (and the echo-delay drum effect only existed on the two track mixdowns, which is why a stereo remix isn't happening).  So not only do you have the woodshop but you also have the last appearance to my knowledge of a duophonic BB mix.  Unless Cotton Fields had one; I suppose that's possible since no true stereo existed until Hawthorne.

your remark on Cottonfields reminded me that the second version of Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) which appeared on 45 (and the Stateside/Europe pressing of Sunflower) differs from the original LP-version (20/20)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:56:08 AM »

"Susie Cincinnati"

"Why do Fools..." isn't a remix, rather it's an edit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:04:04 AM »

Note: This might be better served as a separate thread, and if so, moderators, feel free to move it into one.

With this discussion recently of album v. single (or other various) mixes and edits, I wonder what are your opinions on the issue altogether? Do you like having all these versions to keep track of (debate about the merits of, etc.), or do you think an artist would be better served to cut and release a track and move on?

I very much understand the artist's perspective of never truly feeling 100% satisfied, because with each new day comes a new idea. A person could always go back to change something, either because of a musical thought, a mediocre performance, some new instrument you've learned, some new technology to solve an old problem, and so on. But, for example, does the world need a 30-years-later "Loop de loop" when the original (unreleased) mix was as good or better in many people's opinion? Might an artist be better served to learn to let go and move on to the next thing?

As a tinkerer with old songs and recordings--yet someone who wishes he had the conviction not to be--I am curious what anyone else thinks about it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 08:17:46 AM »

About "School Days"....I believe the single mix or a different mix appeared on the the original Ten Years Of Harmony vinyl. I think the intro was different, something with the opening harmonies and/or school bell....
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 09:17:38 AM »

Yeah, that's what I meant. But that is kinda a remix.

Here are some more I thought of:

1.) Auld Lang Syne - the LP version & the promo sample w/o Dennis' message.
2.) Surfer Girl - the 1970's green starline with the vocals in one channel and the track in the other.
3.) And not on purpose - The version of Wouldn't It Be Nice used during the 80's. I always wondered why they used that version. It was obviously the wrong version and yet they were too lazy to find the right one. I know that the single reel was missing, but hey, why not pull the "Sunshine Dream" LP master? Or the PS master from 1984. Something.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:50:18 PM »

Yeah, that's what I meant. But that is kinda a remix.

No - it's exactly an edit.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »

No - it's exactly an edit.

As my uncle in Cornwall would say...cheeky bugger!  LOL
MBE
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 09:53:48 PM »

Cuddle Up is cleaner the piano is louder. Much better then the LP to me.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx