gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680900 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 03:29:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Setlist from Brian's first Australian show  (Read 10576 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2010, 09:21:30 AM »

No Taylor or Todd; Mikey D on drums. 

Not wishing to seem pickier than I usually am... but Todd hasn't toured with Brian since 2001, Mikey's been back since 2008 and it was announced a couple of months ago that Taylor was taking a few months out for personal reasons.

So what.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 10:18:21 AM »

If anyone recorded this show...well you know the rest.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »

Not wishing to seem pickier than I usually am... but Todd hasn't toured with Brian since 2001, Mikey's been back since 2008 and it was announced a couple of months ago that Taylor was taking a few months out for personal reasons.

So what.

So... yeah, you're right, who gives a flying f***. Not me, any more.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »

Yes, a good show in Sydney by Bri, very relaxed and connected. The sound lacked a certain "something" - perhaps the absence of Taylor to fill out the top end. I thought Brian's look towards the heavens at the beginning of GOK was a moment of contemplation because he then sang the song in his "Gershwin" voice, not the shouty Brian voice.

A great set list ... well beyond the greatest hits package he has had to dish out as part of the current "oldies" tour - speaking of which that particular show with Frampton, America and Chicago was underway at the same time as Brians show in another part of town and that drew the nostalgia, greatest hits loving, Hawaiian shirt crowd away from the Enmore. The crowd at Brian's Enmore show had a lot of young inner city/independent/alternative types born well after the Beach Boys glory days had passed - this was a show for, and too, a crowd of people who understood Brian's music went beyond surfin', hot rods and girls - the Gershwin material was very well received.

Stand outs for me: Sail On Sailor (phew! wow!), everything off the Today/Summer Days Summer Nights albums, The full H&V Smile treatment (cantina/under arrest/bicycle rider), the Good Vibes hum dee dums, the Gershwin stuff!! I Got Plenty of Nothing will improve with repeated performances but that song is all about POWER!!! And Rhapsody sounds way better with the band vocals then it does with the Wall-O-Brians.

Good to catch up with Jon and everybody else ... shared a hilarious cab ride back from Enmore to the city with Maurice and the Professor - the Prof was in fine form and the cab driver thought he had a complete nut case on his hands - a good way to end the night.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »

Great great show.Being front row and centre was a little surreal!! Brian nearly lost it during GOK. He looked to the heavens twice before starting. I had gone equiped to capture the concert in all its glory but got caught up in all the excitement. I was also given an opportunity to go back stage but I was so satisfied with the concert that I decided not to. Heading to Hope Estate tonight. I thought Brian sounded great, darian's lead on Darlin was superb. Brian appears to be giving some of the others a chance to shine. Resident knob head Glenn A was chatting to me after the show and said gee they really miss Carl on GOK?Huh??. The Gershwin songs were awesome and greatly recieved overall the best I have seen Brian. His vocal and stage presence have improved massively since his last visit.Thank god for the teleprompter though!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6OWJKkwbk

Posted by the team!!  Brian actually played keys last night!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 09:38:23 PM »

That seems to me like it's an all-too-rare event. When is the last time Brian played keys -- or any instrument for that matter -- at one of his concerts? I would like to think it's not all that rare but I honestly have no idea.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »

Uhh, How could you tell he was actually playing them? I mean his hands moved a bit, but even being there( I obviously was not) you could tell that sounds were emanating from his fingertips?  what I heard more than anything else, from Youtube, was the windtunnel effect.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »

Brian has generally audible played keys on a number or two -- usually "In My Room" or the intro he worked up to "Marcella" -- since almost the beginning of his touring.

In the fall 09 U.S. tour (and I saw two stops of it) he started playing all the time. This is pretty consistent with that description. He was generally mixed lowish, but he was recognizably changing chords in time with the music, dropping out when it became too complex, etc., etc.

No reason to doubt this.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2010, 11:12:48 PM »

Nice clip but not Sydney last night. Venue looks outdoors and crowd too big for the Enmore, the footage looks earlier in the tour to me. Also the guy from America with the glasses was playing guitar last night during FFF.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »

Photos of the Sydney show and crowd are available at: http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gallery/19722/1/Brian-Wilson

Definately not the nostalgia crowd.
jackstar74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

Yeah, and Todd shouldn't be there as his full-time gig is with Styx. They are currently on tour, undertaking the monsterly task of the playing the phenomenal Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight albums in their entirety....go Todd (BTW, Todd played on most of the Gershwin trax...it seems Brian or Jeff has an affinity for Todd's playing) IMHO,  the guy is the best drummer out there, next to Neil Peart.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 10:15:15 PM »

Nice clip but not Sydney last night. Venue looks outdoors and crowd too big for the Enmore, the footage looks earlier in the tour to me. Also the guy from America with the glasses was playing guitar last night during FFF.

Yeah it is from another gig but I did not say it was from Sydney. I was saying that Brian played keys last night!! During love and Mercy he played keys and he was slightly out!! His key's were pretty high in the mix cause at the sound check they turned him right up. When he was not singing he played keys most of the time and sometimes would do this head tilted kind of sleepy motion like he was staring at something under the keys.

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »

So wait, only ONE track from the Gershwin album? And NONE from the previous two? It's like Brian's purposefully ignoring his solo career.

He was headlining a multi-act show, he had 60 minutes. I'm surprised he did even that.

Couldn't agree more. Feet on the ground/clearheaded reply. I would've been extremely suprised if he'd played a Half Man/Half Biscuit set (50% TLOS/50% BWRG).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »

Yeah it is from another gig but I did not say it was from Sydney. I was saying that Brian played keys last night!! During love and Mercy he played keys and he was slightly out!! His key's were pretty high in the mix cause at the sound check they turned him right up. When he was not singing he played keys most of the time and sometimes would do this head tilted kind of sleepy motion like he was staring at something under the keys.

Hey 18thofMay - sorry if I came off snotty - must be the lack of sleep over the weekend. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »

Hey 18thofMay - sorry if I came off snotty - must be the lack of sleep over the weekend. 

Sweet!! Great concert and all ended up at some up the road listening to crazy irish punk music...

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx