gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680900 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 02:50:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Pro-shot Mike & Bruce(and Foskett) videos  (Read 9355 times)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »

Thought these were too nice to just put in the Jeff replaces Christian Love thread, some pro-shot footage from the recent Abbey Road On The River.

Here's "Don't Worry Baby": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Z1naIH7S4&feature=youtu.be

And here's "Pisces Brothers" with a little interview clip at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0aN1-bxCow

The band sounds good!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »

gee!! Jeffrey and the guys sound Great!!! very cool new 'Beach Boys'.......

though the new Mike tune "Pisces brothers' sounds very pitchy and doesn't sound rehearsed or simply not a great song live...

great sound and video thou......

much promise here...

RickB
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:25:27 PM »

I really am starting to like Pisces Brothers. Mike has a lot more talent than I think even he realizes. He should just write about what he really cares about and not try for the nostalgia stuff.

The band sounds lovely. With Jeff augmenting what they already had and with Cowsill driving them, they really are very good.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:26:47 PM by Kurosawa » Logged

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »

Jeff really does still sound great on DWB! The entire band really nailed the tune beautifully.

While "Pisces Brothers" is a beautiful sentiment from Mike, the song just lacks something musically special. He should have collaborated with another writer with a broader musical palette. However, Scott's guitar solo was very tasteful and expertly executed.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »

Jeff really does still sound great on DWB! The entire band really nailed the tune beautifully.

While "Pisces Brothers" is a beautiful sentiment from Mike, the song just lacks something musically special. He should have collaborated with another writer with a broader musical palette. However, Scott's guitar solo was very tasteful and expertly executed.

The song itself is not all that great but you can hear in Mike's singing that he cares about it. He should just sing what he really cares about and not worry about any sort of commercial success, that's pretty much dead in today's music anyway.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »

It's a catchy tune!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »

Still am not a fan of Pisces Brothers, didn't watch that one...

Don't Worry Baby sound solid, but Foskett's vocals sound weak and wavering on this, by comparison to the performance I heard by him in 2012 AND to every time I've heard Randell Kirsch sing it with Mike and Bruce. I'm not sure why ALL falsetto was handed to Jeff, Randell is still there and in my opinion, has the better falsetto today. And yeah it's been said before but watching this clip leaves me with one thought protruding from the rest: Bruce is just so useless sometimes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 01:24:54 AM »

The band sounds better without Christian Love.  Of what I've heard, he didn't fit into the band. Probably a little influenced by the 30-40 year age gap and he never seemed really into it. Good he moved on to do something more exciting I think.
Nicko1234
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »

I`ve knocked Jeff Foskett but he does sound good on Don`t Worry Baby.

Pisces Brothers sounds fine but John Cowsill`s drumming (or just how loud the drums are in the mix) is a little intrusive.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:20:49 AM »

Am I the only one here who thinks that Pisces Brothers is a great song?  Grin The chorus with it's overt India/meditation references is a little much, but other than that I think it's an awesome song. It would have been a nice little treat if it had been played at a few 2012 shows. I think it would have sounded nice with some vocals from Al and Brian.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:03:10 AM »

First I've seen of Jeff back with Mike.  I get it.  Now; bring back Alan Jardine, and you would essentially have the band I saw so many times in the 80's (minus , of course, Carl Wilson).  Throw in Scotty and Randall and you don't miss Carl quite so much.  Cowsill channeling DW.  I see in this a chance for a semi permanently reunited BeachBoys.

However, given the band's propensity for making wrong turns, I would not place any bets.
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »

I`ve knocked Jeff Foskett but he does sound good on Don`t Worry Baby.

He's gone from "nails on a blackboard" to sounding good.  The change must be doing him wonders! Wink
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »

Randell is great, but I love Jeff on DWB.  It was one of the highlight's at Brian's show in Bethlehem last October.  No video does it justice.  Jeff sings his tail off.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

Musically I really really like Pisces Brother, but the religious lyrics put me off.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »

I don't think "Pisces Brother" fits on a Beach Boys setlist.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

Thought these were too nice to just put in the Jeff replaces Christian Love thread, some pro-shot footage from the recent Abbey Road On The River.

Here's "Don't Worry Baby": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Z1naIH7S4&feature=youtu.be

And here's "Pisces Brothers" with a little interview clip at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0aN1-bxCow

The band sounds good!

Where exactly did these videos originate?  Are there any more?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »

So, a song written and sung by the guy who's name is on some of The Beach Boys biggest hits, and who's been the band's frontman since 1961, and played by the current Beach Boys incarnation ........... doesn't belong in a Beach Boys set list?

I really don't understand us fans sometimes.....
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »

So, a song written and sung by the guy who's name is on some of The Beach Boys biggest hits, and who's been the band's frontman since 1961, and played by the current Beach Boys incarnation ........... doesn't belong in a Beach Boys set list?

Does "Wrinkles" belong in a Beach Boys set?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

Why would it not, if they wanted to play it? ..... The Beach Boys get to decide what's in a Beach Boys set ..... Period.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »

Pisces Brother, I don't like the song itself,  but Mike's voice sounds great. Slightly off pitch, but he's what, 74 now. Other than that his 'gentle' voice doesnt seem to have changed much since the 60s. It's when he does the nasal thing now I find it unconvincing.

Still, I'll be getting the chance to see this band soon. First time I'll have seen the M&B show. Having watched those two vids, I have to say I'm really looking forward to it.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

Why would it not, if they wanted to play it? ..... The Beach Boys get to decide what's in a Beach Boys set ..... Period.

Because I think both (crappy) songs are a poor representation of the name "The Beach Boys."
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »

Fair enough, but this has been going on for many a decade now: what constitutes a crappy representation of The Beach Boys name .... For many, this seems to mean MUCH of what they've recorded.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »

Fair enough, but this has been going on for many a decade now: what constitutes a crappy representation of The Beach Boys name .... For many, this seems to mean MUCH of what they've recorded.

I just feel like "Pisces Brother" would probably really stand out in a setlist full of brilliant songs, and I'd rather not hear it if I'm going to see The Beach Boys, no matter who's in the band at this point. I know solo songs have been performed during Beach Boys sets in the past (Carl's Heaven comes to mind), and I suppose this could have been a one-off performance because they were performing at Abbey Road on the River, but I don't like the idea of the group that's allowed to call themselves The Beach Boys performing crappy Mike Love solo songs.

I probably made too big of a deal out of it than I should have by even commenting, but I'd just rather not hear it when I go to see the band.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 02:29:18 PM »

I just feel like "Pisces Brother" would probably really stand out in a setlist full of brilliant songs, and I'd rather not hear it if I'm going to see The Beach Boys, no matter who's in the band at this point. I know solo songs have been performed during Beach Boys sets in the past (Carl's Heaven comes to mind), and I suppose this could have been a one-off performance because they were performing at Abbey Road on the River, but I don't like the idea of the group that's allowed to call themselves The Beach Boys performing crappy Mike Love solo songs.

I probably made too big of a deal out of it than I should have by even commenting, but I'd just rather not hear it when I go to see the band.

But it's not a Mike solo song if it's being played by "The Beach Boys" ..... I'm not saying you have to like the song, but it just perpetuates the same old bullshit to knock it out of hand as being a "crappy Mike Love solo song" .... I mean, like it or not, it SOUNDS like The Beach Boys! Mike is a Beach Boy! He's been there since day one! Let him play his damn song.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

But it's not a Mike solo song if it's being played by "The Beach Boys" ..... I'm not saying you have to like the song, but it just perpetuates the same old bullshit to knock it out of hand as being a "crappy Mike Love solo song" .... I mean, like it or not, it SOUNDS like The Beach Boys! Mike is a Beach Boy! He's been there since day one! Let him play his damn song.

I guess that's where we disagree. It doesn't sound like The Beach Boys to me.

And I wouldn't call it a Beach Boys song just because it's being performed by the current iteration of The Beach Boys. Is "Summer Means Fun" a Beach Boys song too? (This is where I'm biased -- "Summer Means Fun" is a good song, so I don't mind them performing it.)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx