gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680900 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 03:03:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a chance we will see Blondie and Ricky on the 2012 Beach Boys tour?  (Read 10260 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »

Trust me, I've been in frequent contact with Blondie since this was announced, and he's blown away by how they are completely erasing he & Ricky from the bands history.  I mean, that was a pretty prolific period that they were Beach Boys - especially on stage!  I don't think anyone who saw The Boys play live during those years ever saw or heard them better, and it's also hard to believe they would have survived those lean years had it not been for Blondie & Ricky. It really would be a crime to not at the very least include them in the t.v. special; Blond's is also hoping that their fans will start letting Brother Inc. & Capitol know how you feel about this absurd oversight.

Ed. I completely agree with you on all counts. It would be a real shame not to acknowledge Blondie and Ricky in the Beach Boys legacy. At minimum, they should be on stage with The Boys for a few 50th Anniversary gigs - preferably all of them. My first Beach Boys concert was in November, 1973, and that was a memorable one with Ricky and Blondie rockin' out with the band. Saw Ricky on stage again with Brian and Al in '07, and they seemed to get along great!

I just signed the Blondie/Ricky petition on another thread.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »

Trust me, I've been in frequent contact with Blondie since this was announced, and he's blown away by how they are completely erasing he & Ricky from the bands history.  I mean, that was a pretty prolific period that they were Beach Boys - especially on stage!  I don't think anyone who saw The Boys play live during those years ever saw or heard them better, and it's also hard to believe they would have survived those lean years had it not been for Blondie & Ricky. It really would be a crime to not at the very least include them in the t.v. special; Blond's is also hoping that their fans will start letting Brother Inc. & Capitol know how you feel about this absurd oversight.

Ed. I completely agree with you on all counts. It would be a real shame not to acknowledge Blondie and Ricky in the Beach Boys legacy. At minimum, they should be on stage with The Boys for a few 50th Anniversary gigs - preferably all of them. My first Beach Boys concert was in November, 1973, and that was a memorable one with Ricky and Blondie rockin' out with the band. Saw Ricky on stage again with Brian and Al in '07, and they seemed to get along great!

I just signed the Blondie/Ricky petition on another thread.

I can see them at a few gigs, but all of them?
Not for me.
They were an integral part of the BBs for a small part of their legacy, as I said previously.
Brian, Mike, Al, David and Bruce, with the BBs band they choose for backing is what I want to see.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »

Hey someone on stage has to play the bass guitar and the drums, why the hell not Blondie and Ricky?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 11:04:10 PM »

Have also signed the petition, I want to see Blondie wailin' on Darlin', Sail On Sailor and maybe even a live version of Carry Me Home with Carl Wilson, (Dennis' son) doing Dennis' part as a tribute to Dennis - that would be fantastic.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 11:15:31 PM »

Hey someone on stage has to play the bass guitar and the drums, why the hell not Blondie and Ricky?

Why the hell not John C and Randell K... Mikey D and Brett S... Jimmy H & Bob L... Bobby F & Eddie C... ?

As I've been saying ever since this reunion was first mooted, last year, I'd love to see Ricky & Blondie show up for "SO,S" and "WH" and I'll be thrilled if they do, but I'm a realist (you may have noticed...): not expecting it. I'm betting the majority of the big decisions have been made some time back.

But Ed's right - a spot in the TV special is required.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 02:09:40 AM »

Why the hell not John C and Randell K... Mikey D and Brett S... Jimmy H & Bob L... Bobby F & Eddie C... ?

As I've been saying ever since this reunion was first mooted, last year, I'd love to see Ricky & Blondie show up for "SO,S" and "WH" and I'll be thrilled if they do, but I'm a realist (you may have noticed...): not expecting it. I'm betting the majority of the big decisions have been made some time back.

But Ed's right - a spot in the TV special is required.

I'm pragmatic too. I know the most one can hope for is a special guest appearance for one or two key gigs. Personally I'd love to see them tear into Sail On Sailor and Marcella. Does anybody know what Blondie's vocal chops are like these days? He's kinda hard to pick out in The Stones.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 07:12:36 AM »

Does anybody know what Blondie's vocal chops are like these days? He's kinda hard to pick out in The Stones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reP5gImvF-c
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 07:57:56 AM »

But you know as well as anyone that Blondie and Ricky, who were once billed as 'official' Beach Boys, should therefore be afforded a much higher status than any backing group guys ever were, and they were in the band during a time when it was still creating and adding to its legacy. Blondie, unlike David Marks, is the lead singer on several Beach Boys songs, including one of the minor hits of the 70s. So I think Blondie and Ricky deserve higher consideration.

And before anyone points out that Stamos sang lead on a later version of "Forever", I would remind them that singing a lead alone doesn't cut it.... we don't consider Jack Rieley or VDP to be Beach Boys either...
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »

Blondie and Ricky, who were once billed as 'official' Beach Boys, should therefore be afforded a much higher status than any backing group guys

But for how long were they billed 'official'? A couple years? (That's not a lot in the scope of 1/2 a century.) And how well did the notion of them as 'official' BBoys take-hold? By contrast, like it or not, people such as Foskett have been crucial for decades. Here's what I said about this subject a minute ago on another thread:

I suspect the 50th year plans are already complicated and awkward enough — all the egos/personalities, bad-blood of the past — the melding of BW & ML's band-members, etc., etc. I suppose we should consider ourselves 'lucky' Dave is involved to the extent he is. The citizens of this board are far more knowledgeable than Mr. John Q. Public — to JQP, Blondie/Ricky's brief stint is, sadly, a minor footnote. And one that could, at this phase of BBoys history, emphasize an unsavory deviation from the band's famous canon.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »

But for how long were they billed 'official'? A couple years? (That's not a lot in the scope of 1/2 a century.)

But, as you state, they included David Marks, who was an important early contributor, but he never sang a lead vocal or had a writing credit on a Beach Boys song, which Blondie and Ricky both acheived. I also think Blondie and Ricky were official members for a longer time than David, but I'm not sure about that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:54:02 AM by mammy blue » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »

Does anybody know what Blondie's vocal chops are like these days? He's kinda hard to pick out in The Stones.

Blondie's performing at a High School?! Shocked He deserves much better gigs than that. Undecided
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »

But for how long were they billed 'official'? A couple years? (That's not a lot in the scope of 1/2 a century.)

But, as you state, they included David Marks, who was an important early contributor, but he never sang a lead vocal or had a writing credit on a Beach Boys song, which Blondie and Ricky both acheived. I also think Blondie and Ricky were official members for a longer time than David, but I'm not sure about that.
I'd love to see Blondie and Ricky involved...but there is a distinction when it comes to David, in that he was part of the genesis of the Beach Boys. He and Carl built something that was essential to the Beach Boys template, he learned and rehearsed Brian's orig. material before there was a band, he grew up with the Wilsons. I've said it a zillion times but here's one more..David was with them when they were just kids with a dream...he was with them when they had no record contract and were playing to 50 people a night, and he was with them as they rose to national stars and were drawing 10,000 screaming fans to their concerts. His time in the band was short, but that time  included the first wave of hit albums, and hit singles. David is one of three living Beach Boys who were in the band when they became FAMOUS. Even Al cannot say that as they were not famous when he left, and they were already famous by the time he returned. Brian and Mike know David holds this distinction and that's why they want him there, and that's why the Wilsons insisted his name be on the monument.

Blondie and Ricky's reasons for being worthy of inclusion are completely different. They were part of the Beach Boys finding a resurgence and becoming relevant again, and part of a classic live lineup for sure. Tenure or number of years, lead vocals, or compositions are not really any reason to compare Dave with Blondie and Ricky. The Beach Boys brand was created while Dave was one of them, its that simple.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 10:28:26 AM »

there is a distinction when it comes to David, in that he was part of the genesis of the Beach Boys. He and Carl built something that was essential to the Beach Boys template ... His time in the band was short, but that time  included the first wave of hit albums, and hit singles. David is one of three living Beach Boys who were in the band when they became FAMOUS. ... Brian and Mike know David holds this distinction and that's why they want him there, and that's why the Wilsons insisted his name be on the monument. Blondie and Ricky … were part of the Beach Boys finding a resurgence and becoming relevant again… The Beach Boys brand was created while Dave was one of them, its that simple.

YES, YES, exactly! Maybe the length of time is comparable, but WHEN those couple years took place = big difference.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »

there is a distinction when it comes to David, in that he was part of the genesis of the Beach Boys. He and Carl built something that was essential to the Beach Boys template ... His time in the band was short, but that time  included the first wave of hit albums, and hit singles. David is one of three living Beach Boys who were in the band when they became FAMOUS. ... Brian and Mike know David holds this distinction and that's why they want him there, and that's why the Wilsons insisted his name be on the monument. Blondie and Ricky … were part of the Beach Boys finding a resurgence and becoming relevant again… The Beach Boys brand was created while Dave was one of them, its that simple.

YES, YES, exactly! Maybe the length of time is comparable, but WHEN those couple years took place = big difference.
True. This isn't down to including David vs. including Blondie and Ricky, though. David is already included.

Blondie and Ricky are the only living "official Beach Boys" that are not being included, and they were members during an extremely creatively interesting time, and also the time when the band experienced a resurgence in popularity and became the live touring machine that they were for the rest of the 70s-80s and much of the 90s.

For those reasons, everybody on this board, even those of us who think petitions are stupid, should sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky. It won't hurt things - the Boys are not going to say "you know what? We wanted to reunite, but now forget it. These fans don't know how good they have it." In a worst case scenario, it can show Blondie and Ricky how much we like their work, and perhaps show that there is interest in another release of the Flame material.

Jon, if you haven't signed the petition yet, sign it! Otherwise, I'll only buy six copies of your next book, instead of eight.

- B00ts
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »

Blondie's performing at a High School?! Shocked He deserves much better gigs than that. Undecided

Blondie preformed there because Keith Richards lives near that area. It was arranged by people he knows. Don't worry, he usually plays in better venues than this.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:36:08 PM by Scott M » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »

True. This isn't down to including David vs. including Blondie and Ricky, though. David is already included.

Blondie and Ricky are the only living "official Beach Boys" that are not being included, and they were members during an extremely creatively interesting time, and also the time when the band experienced a resurgence in popularity and became the live touring machine that they were for the rest of the 70s-80s and much of the 90s.

For those reasons, everybody on this board, even those of us who think petitions are stupid, should sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky. It won't hurt things - the Boys are not going to say "you know what? We wanted to reunite, but now forget it. These fans don't know how good they have it." In a worst case scenario, it can show Blondie and Ricky how much we like their work, and perhaps show that there is interest in another release of the Flame material.

Jon, if you haven't signed the petition yet, sign it! Otherwise, I'll only buy six copies of your next book, instead of eight.

I'm doing more than signing the petition, I'm lobbying directly to the Beach Boys that having Blondie and Ricky involved would be a positive that the fans would appreciate. And at minimum Blondie should be featured singing Sail On Sailor at any high profile concert or TV appearance where that song is performed. Its a classic, he sang it, its his baby.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »

I'm doing more than signing the petition, I'm lobbying directly to the Beach Boys that having Blondie and Ricky involved would be a positive that the fans would appreciate. And at minimum Blondie should be featured singing Sail On Sailor at any high profile concert or TV appearance where that song is performed. Its a classic, he sang it, its his baby.
You're the best, Jon! Great stuff.

- B00ts
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »

at minimum Blondie should be featured singing Sail On Sailor at any high profile concert or TV appearance where that song is performed.

This ^ would be cool!  But to shoehorn Blondie/Ricky into everything — like the new "Do It Again" video, for example — would be awkward and inappropriate.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 07:57:34 AM »

As I've been saying ever since this reunion was first mooted, last year, I'd love  but I'm a realist (you may have noticed...): not expecting it.

That is why Brian would never do Pet Sounds live, then SMiLE live, make some pretty good solo albums, Dennis Wilson POB/Bambu cd, then the Beach Boys release a SMiLE box set. None of those things were realistic.

So who knows? Honestly the last 10 years have been great to be a BB fan!! In the late 90s, I didn't expect anything but Cheese from them anymore. I continue to have low expectations, but they have exceeded them lately. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »

Though, wouldn't it be nice (ha-ha) to see Blondie and Ricky come on, say, for end of the regular set and rip through "Sail On Sailor" and "Marcella?"  Then the old members could come back out and do the "big hits" encore without them.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather them all come back out, but this would be a nice way to include Blondie and Ricky in some way.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »

Blondie asked me to let everyone know how pleased he is with this response!  He agrees that this might not have much effect, but it means a lot to both he & Ricky that so many of you/us feel so strongly...  Keep it going, guys!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 08:23:53 AM »

Absolutely, Ed! This is a Reunion and I feel all "Official" members of the band should be included in some capacity. Thanks for letting them know we care about this issue.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »

Blondie asked me to let everyone know how pleased he is with this response!  He agrees that this might not have much effect, but it means a lot to both he & Ricky that so many of you/us feel so strongly...  Keep it going, guys!

Awesome..

Such amazing music was made when those guys were in he group, a really special era

Like one of the comments said on the petition, do it for Carl!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »

I suspect That Dennis and Carl might've had something to say about this, had they still been here.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »

at minimum Blondie should be featured singing Sail On Sailor at any high profile concert or TV appearance where that song is performed.

This ^ would be cool!  But to shoehorn Blondie/Ricky into everything — like the new "Do It Again" video, for example — would be awkward and inappropriate.
That is not what the petition is about. It is about recognizing Blondie and Ricky for this reunion, having them play a few shows or maybe even just one show with the band, not shoehorning them into everything that Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David do.

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx