gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 10:24:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian & Mike writing together again  (Read 9967 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »

Just please God, no references to cars, the beach or namechecking old song titles!

That request sounds like someone asking Burger King to not sell hamburgers... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »

Uhh, I don't remember that. Do you mean it will be good? or am i being obtuse?

Andrew summed it up nicely -- the Wilson/Asher reunion in the late 1990s produced a couple of inoffensive songs, nothing more. The message being: Just because two famous songwriting partners "reunite" doesn't mean the earth will shake, or lives will be changed. Indeed, it could be completely unmemorable. Mike and Brian, even if they bring the best they have left to the table, aren't capable of creating "Beach Boys" magic by themselves -- without Carl and Dennis and innumerable other factors, this reunion will be a futile effort at best. A one-off of "Do It Again" could be fun, for the big anniversary, but any new collaboration is almost certainly doomed to disappoint.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:54:34 AM by seanmurd » Logged

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »

Just please God, no references to cars, the beach or namechecking old song titles!

That request sounds like someone asking Burger King to not sell hamburgers... Grin

If Mike does that, it will only leave him with TM to sing about!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »

I want the Mike who wrote lyrics to "Today!"or "warmth of the sun" to come back and write lyrics that are awesome. Brian and Mike could write some great reflective songs about age or the history of the band.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:52 AM »

What's the most recent memorable song that Brian and Mike collaborated on?

("memorably awful" doesn't count)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »

Andrew summed it up nicely -- the Wilson/Asher reunion in the late 1990s produced a couple of inoffensive songs, nothing more. The message being: Just because two famous songwriting partners "reunite" doesn't mean the earth will shake, or lives will be changed. Indeed, it could be completely unmemorable. Mike and Brian, even if they bring the best they have left to the table, aren't capable of creating "Beach Boys" magic by themselves -- without Carl and Dennis and innumerable other factors, this reunion will be a futile effort at best. A one-off of "Do It Again" could be fun, for the big anniversary, but any new collaboration is almost certainly doomed to disappoint.

Oh, those songs. I should have remembered that for sure!  Oh well, life spirals down a bit
Points taken; maybe they'll write something that can be recorded, to acclaim, by someone other than the quote/unquote Beach Boys

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »

This Isn't Love", from both the Roxy album and the 2nd Flintstones movie, which recycles a chunk of "You're Still A Mystery":
Wait...I thought This isn't Love was written during the Dennis/Brian 'cocaine sessions'? Asking as I have 'heard' something that sounds very much like it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »

Reminds me of a story Don Was told in Pulse! magazine when he was working with Brian and Mike in the 90's. He told them if they write about surfing it won't ring true, and thought they should write about their family struggles and redemption, something uplifting and personal.

And they came back to him with something called "Baywatch Nights". Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »

This Isn't Love", from both the Roxy album and the 2nd Flintstones movie, which recycles a chunk of "You're Still A Mystery":
Wait...I thought This isn't Love was written during the Dennis/Brian 'cocaine sessions'? Asking as I have 'heard' something that sounds very much like it.

Nope.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 10:34:36 AM »

Reminds me of a story Don Was told in Pulse! magazine when he was working with Brian and Mike in the 90's. He told them if they write about surfing it won't ring true, and thought they should write about their family struggles and redemption, something uplifting and personal.

And they came back to him with something called "Baywatch Nights". Grin

How on earth did the show "Baywatch Nights" ever get the greenlight? What was the one reason people watched Baywatch for? Take that out and what are you left with? That's right, "Baywatch Nights". Talk about phucking with the formula!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »

Nope.

There's a bit on the 20 minute tape from late 1982 that has Brian working out a very rudimentary chord progression that sounds very similar to This Isn't Love. I doubt it was known as This Isn't Love then. You can barely hear Brian singing on it but the vocal melody is similar to the Roxy version.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »

I want the Mike who wrote lyrics to "Today!"or "warmth of the sun" to come back and write lyrics that are awesome. Brian and Mike could write some great reflective songs about age or the history of the band.

That's what I'm naively hoping for too. All those years of life between them, there has to be more to write about than a cheesy rehashing of the past. Somewhere inside Mike there's still a damn fine lyricist, and maybe reconnecting with Brian will allow him to get in touch with said lyricist.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »

Like, When I Grow Old (and Become Incontinent & Feeble), and stuff like that? Wink
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:49:02 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »

That's what I'm naively hoping for too. All those years of life between them, there has to be more to write about than a cheesy rehashing of the past. Somewhere inside Mike there's still a damn fine lyricist, and maybe reconnecting with Brian will allow him to get in touch with said lyricist.

If I could reprint the article right now I would, but what is written above sounds remarkably similar to what Don Was said he told Mike and Brian in the mid 90's.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »

Like, When I Grow Old (and Become Incontinent & Feeble), and stuff like that? Wink

That would be more entertaining than Mike writing about being the old surfer godfather that he is not or racing classic cars he has never owned or driven. Grin
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:01:01 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »

I've suggested this before.  A full treatment by all members, complete with soaring harmony (as on the song EH), of California Feeling.  The song just feels right for a 50th anniv career theme for the BeachBoys.  I could go on, I'd certainly have other suggestions,  but that one thing would make it for me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 11:08:55 AM »

Nope.

There's a bit on the 20 minute tape from late 1982 that has Brian working out a very rudimentary chord progression that sounds very similar to This Isn't Love. I doubt it was known as This Isn't Love then. You can barely hear Brian singing on it but the vocal melody is similar to the Roxy version.

It was titled "Untitled Piano Demo" on the version I've, um, 'seen'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »

I hope so because this the last chance the band has to go out on top as a great group instead of the goofy group from the 1980s and 1990s that people in America remember. Mike and Brian definitely would understand the stakes at hand.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:58:47 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »

Okay, so the Wilson/Asher reunion didn't result in another Pet Sounds. But those songs were miles ahead of many of Mike's lyrical efforts. The "Wrinkles" thread comes to mind. What Brian and Mike need is someone to set them straight when they start veering off into references to
(a) Still being in high school
(b) Driving classic cars, or "cruisin'"
(c) Surfing
(d) Dating girls (i.e. 15-22-year-olds)
(e) Their old songs

Maybe they just need a third party to make suggestions like Don Was did. Introspection (while trying to avoid cliches) would be the most poignant. These guys have a lot of history together and a lot of feelings about their relationship and their lives, separately and together.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »

Check this out, posted by Barnyard2

I was able to meet Bruce, Christian and Scott at the hotel, and Mike at the venue before the show.
Mike said that Brian has written new songs and he is putting some lyrics on them. Also that they are talking about the reunion.
Bruce mentioned that next year it will be four dates in Spain. Maybe as part of a world wide reunion tour?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10665.0.html

Looks like we will be getting material

More likely Bruce has written some new songs, and Mike's adding lyrics to those.  
It could be cool to have some new BW/ML songs, if only to see what Mike comes up with, but I doubt it will happen.
It shouldn't ever happen and hopefully never will happen.

Yeah, you're absolutely right, aren't you?

Look at all the crap Brian and Mike wrote together!

Sheesh

Merda like:

Good Vibrations
I'm Waiting For The Day
California Girls
Do It Again
Wild Honey
Darlin
The Warmth Of The Sun
Goin On
Let The Wind Blow
Cool Cool Water
All I Wanna Do
Please Let Me Wonder
Fun Fun Fun
Kiss Me Baby
It's OK

... to name just a few

Thank GOD the likes of which will never happen again if oldmykeluvrdood has his way!
Gee, we should have a new Good Vibrations any day now- hey-maybe a new Pet Sounds as wee-Today anybody?? Razz

Well, dang, perhaps we'll even get another "Matchpoint Of Our Love"!!!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »

So, is Brian in the studio in september to lay down the new tracks...... ?  Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »

Okay, so the Wilson/Asher reunion didn't result in another Pet Sounds. But those songs were miles ahead of many of Mike's lyrical efforts. The "Wrinkles" thread comes to mind. What Brian and Mike need is someone to set them straight when they start veering off into references to
(c) Surfing
(e) Their old songs

Maybe they just need a third party to make suggestions like Don Was did. Introspection (while trying to avoid cliches) would be the most poignant. These guys have a lot of history together and a lot of feelings about their relationship and their lives, separately and together.

Be careful what you wish for -- if Brian and Mike get into the studio together and start getting "introspective" about their long history together, the session will probably result in another lawsuit.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »

(c) Surfing
(e) Their old songs

You are talking about close to 20 years difference between Wrinkles and new Wilson/Asher tunes. Though some of the lyrics are not too good on SIP, which is closer in time. Mike hasn't done a whole lotta writing since then, so it is hard to tell if he can still write something creative for a new album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »

I personally think Everything I Need could have been more than merely 'inoffensive' - even great - with the right production, but unfortunately Joe Thomas saw to that I believe.

I also think Mike showed with Cool Head, Warm Heart that his talents are not completely shot.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »

What is the over/under on Fun Fun Fun and Wouldn't It Be Nice? coming up in the lyrics as written in Summer In Paradise?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx