gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 05:53:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 73185 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2013, 04:55:30 AM »

Better than I could have ever imagined.

I am blown away, easily my favorite Dennis song ever.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2013, 04:58:47 AM »

Don't tell me you broke down Shady

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2013, 05:02:10 AM »

I lasted all of 22 hours.  Undecided

This is worth it though. Magical song.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2013, 05:06:46 AM »

Evil Yes! Join us.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »

I don't think I'll ever hear his later singing in the same way I did before I heard WIBNTLA. Mind you, I really enjoy his work on L.A. or POB but this guy absolutely RUINED his voice along the way. It's more apparent than ever. Also, the more rock-oriented later stuff like "Under the Moonlight" may have its charms but to me it's clearly not even half as good as this.
Nicko1234
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2013, 06:45:32 AM »

I don't think I'll ever hear his later singing in the same way I did before I heard WIBNTLA. Mind you, I really enjoy his work on L.A. or POB but this guy absolutely RUINED his voice along the way. It's more apparent than ever. Also, the more rock-oriented later stuff like "Under the Moonlight" may have its charms but to me it's clearly not even half as good as this.

+1
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2013, 07:20:29 AM »

Instead of reading through seven pages of folks trying to describe this song, I learned all I need to know from one post in an Amazon discussion about MIC, which not only got right to the nitty-gritty about this topic, but "California Feelin' " as well... all within a couple of sentences.  

http://www.amazon.com/Tracklist/forum/Fx3VWAI12XJKJGR/Tx3U08893HAH038/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tp_cq?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B008XZKSRY

I agree there's enough to entice you to get it some of the tracks you mentioned and a few that got my attention plus even the doubles are all tracks i play and i won't have to play a cd for just a few songs anymore because they'll all be on this thing,,,interesting they jump from different stereo mixes and mono eg 1996, 2002, 2012 you'd think they'd all be 2012 but they're not...California Feelin' i assume is the melody to california girls? wouldn't be nice is the same as the pet sound song but dennis sings it and say wouldn't be nice to live again...he had an interesting voice not to be discarded his solo album was better than anyone could imagine.

The guy is a complete f*ckwit - been a fan for three years or so, has read Brian's pseudobiography. Claims Mike sued to keep unreleased tracks off the box, and lost, and that this was in a UK magazine. Bullshit, as we all know.

Do you really think this kind of nonsense needs any comment on this board?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2013, 07:36:01 AM »

Hahah I just heard it and my mind is blown! LOL

Fantastic track, fantastic vocal delivery by Dennis, fantastic arrangement and the outro really bridges SU with C&TP.

Incredible that this has remained unbooted and unreleased for 40 years. Simply incredible.

At the same time it is very bitter to think about what an album SU was close to being. With even stronger tracklisting it could've moved further up the charts and helped the group with some commercial success as well as artistic acclaim before the onslaught of Endless Summer. This is another sad example of how egos can cause serious damage. This is probably the most serious 'what if' of the entire group's career because  this time all the music was ready (unlike Smile, 1975 album etc).

Oh gee, rest in peace Carl and Dennis. Their legacies grow by each day!
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »

I just have to repeat the word many have used: Majestic! This is the kind of song I can listen to 20 times in a row easily. I don't fancy the end-tag much though.  I think it's better than all the other Surf's Up tracks except for the title track
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2013, 07:52:42 AM »

The end is outstanding, we have enough BB albums with ballads as closer, what's wrong with putting some fine funky vibe in it? fits fine, the rest does have a Alone/Cuddle Up feeling, yet it is so beautiful, love the looping, Carl's parts... incredible

i used to think Surf's Up was one of the strongest album, but now we have this and 4th Of July and you realize how even better it could have been... this is incredible, long live the music of Dennis.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »

How is it that the USA lags behind in distribution?  aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The wonders of capitalism Grin

I just played WIBNTLA again and noticed the verses sound quite similar to The Beatles Fool On The Hill!

That's what I thought on first listen too. Smiley

My opinion:

I agree with everybody that this is probably Dennis' best vocal ever. The song is great, better to me than all other tracks on the SU album except Student Demonstration Time. (Got you confused there, didn't I? Grin) While Dennis' singing is indeed majestic, the track is "only" very good.

The end is outstanding, we have enough BB albums with ballads as closer, what's wrong with putting some fine funky vibe in it?

It doesn't fit the mood of the rest of the song at all, that's what's IMHO wrong with it, and thus I don't like it. The last moment to fade would be the 3:48 mark, and I think I'll make myself a version that ends at that spot. Of course I respect anyone's opinion who thinks the tag is great.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »

Majestic. Made my day.

Some people here seem to have had a serious taste bypass.

And it begins LOL

Here's m y counter volley....

Luckily I have faith in my own tastes and don't just blindly follow the crowd.

Your turn

Yawn......

Don't be such an idiot, Stephen.  I wasn't having a go at you and I'm glad you have faith in your own tastes. Makes you come across as mature... It's just that there are one or two on here who seemed determined to dislike it.  I love it for what it is not because someone else likes it. It would have considerably enhanced my favourite 70s BB album.

If anyone still hasn't heard it, it's here:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/dennis-wilson-and-beach-boys-wouldnt-it.html

pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »

Many has said this is Dennis' best vocal. Agree. I'll go out on a limb and ask if it's not one of the best Beach Boys vocals?
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2013, 08:18:38 AM »

The production is great and the lead is a career best vocal contender for Dennis.  That said, I'm not particularly impressed with the song.  It's nowhere near as good as most of his work was IMO.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »

Majestic. Made my day.

Some people here seem to have had a serious taste bypass.

And it begins LOL

Here's m y counter volley....

Luckily I have faith in my own tastes and don't just blindly follow the crowd.

Your turn

Yawn......

Don't be such an idiot, Stephen.  I wasn't having a go at you and I'm glad you have faith in your own tastes. Makes you come across as mature... It's just that there are one or two on here who seemed determined to dislike it.  I love it for what it is not because someone else likes it. It would have considerably enhanced my favourite 70s BB album.

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/dennis-wilson-and-beach-boys-wouldnt-it.html

Sorry Ed, I thought that was directed at me. I was only being semi-serious  in my response though, as I'm sure you gathered.

In all honesty this one will probably be a grower on me. Usually if I'm blown away first listen I'll get bored with it after awhile. If it takes a little time, it's a more permanent thing.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »

No problem, Stephen.  Thanks for replying.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2013, 08:25:25 AM »

I think the end fits just fine since through all the song while it is calm and mellow there is a sens of weirdness with the loops and the voices coming in and out around by Carl, and it comes in naturally, tho a surprise, a surprise that is welcome and unique, i would have been really out of place on Cuddle Up, but here it's just ok and a cool part, didn't someone said there was a longer version of that? why did they cut it out.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »

Lowbacca, you rule (Cliff too, of course)! Even if you didn't intend to save the link, many thanks toward you!

At the very 1st play of the song, I didn't think that it's great. But slowly, gradually I began to see its coolness & beauty. I completely agree with posters who say that it's Dennis's one of the best (still sounding young) vocals in his lifetime career (not counting only the 70s). It very impressed me, esp. when he hit the high notes holding them on & on. Before this I couldn't've imagined him doing so. It's very difficult even for professional singers. Furthermore, I absolutely love the bass guitar - in fact, it was the 1st thing that I paid attention to & thought it was great. So simplistic, yet utterly tasteful. The whole arrangement seems rather simple, f.ex. the guitar solo which repeats over & over the same riff. Speaking of the electric guitar, nothing is bad about it at all. I mean, the melody is a bit melancholic & sad, so that guitar gives some edge & rock sound & finally, the song doesn't seem too sentimental. What I like also about the solo is its almost inaudible appearance. You can't tell for sure when it goes, at what second. In short, that's one cool guitar right there! As for the flute, well, it's totally on the money! Charles Lloyd's style is very recognizable. Without reading credits, I knew it was him. Cute & charming side of the song, the flute solo combined with the delicate piano brings joy, optimism & lightness to it. And actually speaks for the title "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again". I can see why it's the most favorite moment of the song by many here. Mine too! Wish the ending was much longer. One of the greatest tags in the BBs song or any. Full stop.

All in all, jolly good composition (though "Rainbows" I like better & not just a tad!)! Maybe the most original written by Dennis - there are so many things going on in it! Not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus. As some people stated, it deserved to be released earlier, but then again, maybe today, in 2013, it's the right time for the song to be heard? I'd reckon so.

Conclusion: Brian is the best composer of The BBs, there is a magic even in his goofiest works. Am afraid I shall never change this point of view. However, Dennis is talented too & by WIBNTLA he showed what he's genuinely capable of. Therefore, I won't compare both brothers, not fair.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »

I also think, for me, the years of hype is getting in the way. I need to try and disregard this and listen to it on it's own terms.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »

I was going to wait as well but it was too damn hard! Its possible that this could be my favourite Dennis song as well. Even better than all of Pacific Ocean Blue.
Nicko1234
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »

Really? I haven't actually noticed anyone saying they genuinely dislike it but maybe I've missed some posts...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »

Really? I haven't actually noticed anyone saying they genuinely dislike it but maybe I've missed some posts...

I don't think Mr. Moustache was too keen on the mixing job. He was a little shy in saying so though.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

Is that really Ron Burgundy on flute at the end?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »

The song, it's pretty good. His voice is awesome.

For some reason, I was really looking forward to hear what the repeating three note guitar solo sounded like. I started laughing when I heard it.

I was explaining the whole story to my roommate about how this was supposed to be the last track instead of Surf's Up and she said "Oh, this song is soo much better than Surf's Up!" and now she wants to hear it again. My first listen was on headphones and then I played it again for her. So I've already heard it twice. I can't really see myself listening to it again right now. It's so long.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »

The song, it's pretty good. His voice is awesome.

I pretty much agree.  The vocal and the production are out of this world! 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx