gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680999 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 11:14:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 110095 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

Could we all be honest?? Is anybody really upset Jeff Beck might not be on the album?

If Jeff Beck is not on the album, I don't think I'll be able to care less. I might even be happy. Because although I like him, I don't really think Jeff Beck and Brian are that great a combo. And if no Beck meant more Blondie and/or Al, then that is a trade off I'm willing to take.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »

From some of AGD's comments, I get the impression the album is not happening.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »

From some of AGD's comments, I get the impression the album is not happening.

I don't think so, I think it's just more that maybe Jeff Beck on the album isn't happening.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »

This sounds like Smile.

I like smile.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »

Maybe Jeff Beck doesn't want to be part of a mess.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »

Maybe they ran into ANOTHER guy who doesn't come at Brian Wilson's BECKoned call.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »

LOL Good one, SJS

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »

Joe Thomas has said he collects several hours of Brian's composing and arranging ideas and then helps assemble them into songs. That might be why it takes so long. It's not as if Brian and Joe are simply sitting at a keyboard and writing a song. It's more piecemeal than that and Joe has to organize it all.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »

Joe Thomas has said he collects several hours of Brian's composing and arranging ideas and then helps assemble them into songs. That might be why it takes so long. It's not as if Brian and Joe are simply sitting at a keyboard and writing a song. It's more piecemeal than that and Joe has to organize it all.
I suspect that was Andy Paley's role, too. Brian just doesn't have the focus that he had back in the 60's. We still want music from Brian, but he's not up to delivering it on his own.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »

I would imagine that, if Brian's firing on all cylinders, he's moving rapidly from one idea to another, and with no one to discipline him to finish anything (and why should anyone?) there'll just be a mass of unfinished projects…

Then again, maybe there's a new project that's taken precedence, and the other stuff is merely on the backburner, for later… just maybe…

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

Where was Joe in 1967?  Brian could have done with him back then!  Grin.  He had to wait for Darian to come along in 2004.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

Where was Joe in 1967?  Brian could have done with him back then!  Grin.  He had to wait for Darian to come along in 2004.

A 1967 Joe wouldn't have helped the situation. The mystical power of the mullet wasn't in full bloom yet.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2014, 02:51:39 PM »

Could we all be honest?? Is anybody really upset Jeff Beck might not be on the album?

If Jeff Beck is not on the album, I don't think I'll be able to care less. I might even be happy. Because although I like him, I don't really think Jeff Beck and Brian are that great a combo. And if no Beck meant more Blondie and/or Al, then that is a trade off I'm willing to take.
Not particularly, but "Metropolis" sounded intriguing, albeit mostly due to Jardine's involement

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »

Won't be a bit surprised if the new album(s) are not out anytime soon, but Brian's handlers will certainly make sure he is out on the road this summer to play the oldies one more time. With or without Al and David.
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »

I'm convinced that when the rumors started of "three albums" what was meant is that there seems to be three types of songs with distinct flavors: (1) BB 2012 leftovers, (2) Beck 2013 collaborations, and (3) new BW solo. We know from Matt Jardine's comments that there's around nine songs with vocals now, so chill out.

I'm sure that Management deems it best to wait to release the album---whatever form it takes--when the Biopic brings the spotlight back to the Wilson Circus. That's a smart move, and if that means there's more time to lovingly craft a decent record, then all that's happened in the meanwhile is fanatical impatience. Relax and listen to MARCELLA 2012. Sweet!

Smokin

Gohi
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »

I really think Jardine and Marks aren't going to be with Brian this summer.
Just the vibe I'm picking up from the press releases.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »

Beach boys album first, then BW biopic tie-in and near simultaneous new BW album with or without Beck cuts.

“We live in divisive times.”
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »

And getting back on topic (how unlike this forum...), I'm forming the very distinct impression that the Wilson/Beck collaboration is, if not exactly dead in the water, then smelling rather odd.

And that would be very odd but somehow not surprising. That Brian/Beck stuff got a lot of hype from a lot of people.... including Brian and Beck.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »

I'm convinced that when the rumors started of "three albums" what was meant is that there seems to be three types of songs with distinct flavors: (1) BB 2012 leftovers, (2) Beck 2013 collaborations, and (3) new BW solo. We know from Matt Jardine's comments that there's around nine songs with vocals now, so chill out.

I'm sure that Management deems it best to wait to release the album---whatever form it takes--when the Biopic brings the spotlight back to the Wilson Circus. That's a smart move, and if that means there's more time to lovingly craft a decent record, then all that's happened in the meanwhile is fanatical impatience. Relax and listen to MARCELLA 2012. Sweet!

Smokin

The rumors stem from an article in which Brian (I think - might have been Thomas) observed that there was enough material for three albums... which  is of course some way from anyone saying there will be three albums. Business as usual, some over eager fan reading what they want into a perfectly ordinary statement.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:03 AM »

Smokin

The rumors stem from an article in which Brian (I think - might have been Thomas) observed that there was enough material for three albums... which  is of course some way from anyone saying there will be three albums. Business as usual, some over eager fan reading what they want into a perfectly ordinary statement.

I cannot find the article now, but my recollection is it was the writer - not Brian or Joe Thomas - who speculated the material being worked on could turn out to be three albums, based on the different styles and accumulating number of songs.  I definitely do not remember Brian making this comment.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:59:58 AM by Les P » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »

Smokin

The rumors stem from an article in which Brian (I think - might have been Thomas) observed that there was enough material for three albums... which  is of course some way from anyone saying there will be three albums. Business as usual, some over eager fan reading what they want into a perfectly ordinary statement.

I cannot find the article now, but my recollection is it was the writer - not Brian or Joe Thomas - who speculated the material being worked on could turn out to be three albums, based on the different styles and accumulating number of songs.  I definitely do not remember Brian making this comment.

It appears to be Jason Fine, the Rolling Stone writer.

"Actually, the record that Wilson started working on with longtime collaborator Joe Thomas almost immediately after wrapping up the Beach Boys' 50th-anniversary tour last fall has morphed into what could be three records: an album of new pop songs, recorded with his touring band and Beach Boys Al Jardine and David Marks (both of whom will also join Wilson at solo shows this Summer); a set of mostly instrumental new songs with an unlikely collaborator, British guitar legend Jeff Beck (who may also appear on the Wilson solo album); and a complex, melancholy group of interwoven tracks he calls "the suite," created in the modular style of SMiLE, and dealing with loss, vulnerability and hope as Wilson approaches the final chapter of his career."

Rolling Stone, but I found it on the bw website. http://www.brianwilson.com/news/2013/6/20/brian-wilson-rocks-with-jeff-beck-plans-new-lps

Whether the reporter was told this or just inferred it isn't clear, but it is definitely presented as if it were a distinct possibility that there would be three different albums.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:46:14 AM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »

Excellent - thanks for looking that up. Right now, I think we'll do well to get one...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »

I'll take an album with Blondie over an ablum with JBeck, thanks.  Grin
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

I really think Jardine and Marks aren't going to be with Brian this summer.
Just the vibe I'm picking up from the press releases.
I think you're right. They don't have the rights to the Beach Boys name, which always makes for an awkward billing. The momentum of the last couple years has dissipated. I'm surprised, though, that there seem to be such high expectations for the BW bio pic. I'm not expecting much, although hopefully it will be better than the two previous BB tv bio pics.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »

Any chance Al and Dave could do some dates with Mike and Bruce this summer?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx