gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 10:19:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All things Bruce Johnston  (Read 78341 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »

Chiming in with my own opinions of Bruce Johnston: I think he has (or at least had) a wonderful singing voice and it blends well with anyone (I for one enjoy his and Carl's background vocals on LA). I also loved "Tears In The Morning" from the very first time I ever heard it because that is some fine white soul music on an emotional level. Also love "Deirdre", "Disney Girls" and "Nearest Faraway Place". I dislike Going Public but can honestly say that I have only heard it once all of the way through but I am positive my feelings for it will never change. I admire his physical likeness to Ernie (the muppet from Sesame Street). I disagree with his politics and wish he wouldn't voice them in public. I don't care for "I Write The Songs" but I think that Barry Manilow looks like a wax dummy who is starting to melt a bit and that makes me happy for some reason. Bruce also distanced himself from the group during the Smiley Smile period and Hawaii concerts and probably didn't fit in well with the other members personality-wise which is why they were always looking to replace him back in the day. It is very hard to call him a rock star because he is not really a recognized mega-star that is always on the front page of magazines and plus because the man simply could never actually rock himself ever. Please remind me, somebody, besides singing "Disney Girls" and "Wendy" on that C-50 tour did he actually do anything himself such as really play his keyboard or something? It didn't look like it at the concert I went to at all. As an upside, he was never been accused of stealing anybody's bicycle or ruining SMiLE.
Actually, his background vocals on Smile are quite nice. I love his vocals on Wonderful, especially.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »

I dig Bruce.

Super nice when I met him.

Managed to stay in the band for like 45 years not being a member of the family, submitting his own compositions and succeeding with a career of his own.

Superb keyboard player. Crafted musician and arranger. Solid songwriter notwithstanding how it all fits into the BBs canon. Capable of jumping into Al's pants and join America's band on hyper short notice. Solid as hell as a background singer, he blends with whomever, has a superb sense of pitch and rhythm. Seems like he never tried to put himself up front, seems to acknowledge the group's hierarchy and play by it.

Put his head into the lion's mouth and lived through it as he posted on the Male Ego board for like a couple of years. His reply to a poster requesting that Bruce let him know when M&B would play at a supermarket opening is among the finest BB-related quotes ever.

Now, would someone please relate the origin of the pistol-whipping comments?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »

His reply to a poster requesting that Bruce let him know when M&B would play at a supermarket opening is among the finest BB-related quotes ever.

Do you mind sharing?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »

His reply to a poster requesting that Bruce let him know when M&B would play at a supermarket opening is among the finest BB-related quotes ever.

Do you mind sharing?

I'm sure other people remember the exact quote. I'll paraphrase:

-Hey Bruce! Will Mike and you end up playing at supermarket openings?
-I don't know. I know we'll play at your funeral.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »

Do you mind sharing?

You don't mess with Brucie. He'll give ya Tears In The Morning (and in afternoon, and in the evening...).

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »

Do you mind sharing?

The dark side of Bruce

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2013, 08:22:20 AM »

Talk about good vibrations.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »

Genius!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

Bruce Johnston was the Zodiac
Are you saying that Bruce reminds you one of the members of the group called Ian & The Zodiacs? I didn't get your point, tbh.

For the record, Bruce is a talented keyboard player/arranger (the latter is mostly notable in his solo career) & the owner of quite a pleasant voice. I'm glad that he sang At My Window, it fits the childlike mood of the song. Before joining The Beach Boys, he (co-)wrote many good songs - with Terry (Bruce & Terry, The Rip Chords) or while doing solo. "Surfin' Round the World" is a masterwork of 1963 year. And not only. Within The BBs (and post), he sort of changed his style direction & began to write sentimental tunes, the best of them being Deirdre, it's in one league with Brian's top material. Also, I liked his idea of turning Here Comes the Night into disco. The vocs are great there! His producing skills leave much to be desired, however. Average engineering & vocal mixing, esp. in KTSA. As for "Going Public", it's got several good songs on it e.g. Rock & Roll Survivor. It's disappointing but could be much worse imo.

That being said, I'm not fond of his character, from what I've seen in various videos & read in the articles/message boards. He's rude & very strange, you never know what focuses expect from him. One time he praises Brian & in other cases - badmouths his music. Though of course, he went to London & advertised Pet Sounds to the Beatles Paul and John. That was a nice move from him.

Today's Bruce is a lazybones, for mysterious reasons. He contributes very little on stage. It often seems he doesn't hit the notes on keyboard. Notwithstanding Bruce's voice still sounds decent, he chooses to sing occasionally - not counting his own staple DG, there's only "Wendy". He enjoys clapping, smiling, jumping like a cheerleader. It's really boring to watch.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Nicko1234
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »

That being said, I'm not fond of his character, from what I've seen in various videos & read in the articles/message boards. He's rude & very strange, you never know what focuses expect from him. One time he praises Brian & in other cases - badmouths his music. Though of course, he went to London & advertised Pet Sounds to the Beatles Paul and John. That was a nice move from him.

Are you talking about Friends here?

I think it`s a bit much to say that he badmouths Brian`s music just because he doesn`t like every song or album.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

Personally I loved his presence over at the Male Ego board. Good times. He comes across as somewhat bitter from time to time but that's none of my business and I don't care much about any of the group members' political convictions to be honest.

By the way, I think I remember that a couple of years ago he actually had some nice things to say about Friends over at BBB (IIRC he stated that he thought the cover art was quite horrible whereas he really liked the album's overall musical content... keep in mind I'm paraphrasing from faded memory here!). So it seems like he changed his mind about this record over the years...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »

Bruce Johnston was the Zodiac
Are you saying that Bruce reminds you one of the members of the group called Ian & The Zodiacs? I didn't get your point, tbh.

haha, no. I was just joking around saying Bruce was the Zodiac killer. A serial killer from the 60's/70's who was never captured.

I actually was only half joking, Bruce could very well be the Zodiac killer.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2013, 09:21:51 AM »

Why is Bruce down on Friends?
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »

Today's Bruce is a lazybones...It's really boring to watch.

On a personal quest to achieve Absolute Zero, eh?  LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »

but you guys

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2013, 10:03:27 AM »

but you guys

Like he likes to say: He's 20 at heart

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »

He had to be discouraged from releasing an EP as "MC Clitoridectomy" during this period as it was considered poor taste even for Bruce Johnston. Mike Love noted it had "very commercial arrangements," however.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »

He had to be discouraged from releasing an EP as "MC Clitoridectomy" during this period as it was considered poor taste even for Bruce Johnston. Mike Love noted it had "very commercial arrangements," however.

A month later, Mike recorded "Rockin' The Man In The Boat" which was a cunning tongue in cheek response to the tracks on Bruce's EP.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »

Seven pages. SEVEN pages of this. Really?!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »

You made me laugh.  LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2013, 11:54:14 AM »

The man wrote "pipeline", I'm surprised it's only seven

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

Actually he didn't write it, but he gave it one hell of a cover. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:36:40 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »

#
Actually he didn't write it, but he gave it one hell of a cover. Tongue

Bruce didn't write pipeline? My day is ruined.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »

It's in the BW Songwriter documentary. Except for the title track he doesn't seem to like it at all, cracking a joke about how it's amazing the record even made it to #126 (?) when in fact #1026 would've been more appropriate (again I'm paraphrasing). To each their own I guess.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »

Bruce has less presence on FRIENDS than Brian has on SO TOUGH or L.A. No songwriting credits, no audible vocals. He did seem to stay away a bit late 67-spring 68.

Check out the SURF'S UP era photo of the band in THE ROLLING STONE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF ROCK & ROLL. This is  Bruce's only cool period in terms of style.

This is conjecture on my part, but did Carl have much use for Bruce? He NEVER seemed to mention him in interviews and since Billy Hinsche was Carl's brother in-law, the impetus for the unrealized move to replace Bruce with Billy in 1969 may well have been instigated by the youngest Wilson brother.

"Disney Girls" is a permanent part of the Great American Songbook. Bruce's finest hour, bar none.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:05:26 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx