gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 05:09:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Was Made To Love Her question...  (Read 3675 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »

"The Complete Guide to the Music of..." notes under the entry for I Was Made To Love Her that, 'contrary to a popular BB myth, the phrase 'son of a bitch' is not sung.'  But.... there's nothing in that song that sounds remotely like 'son of a bitch'... unless I missed something?

Speaking of Wild Honey, how'd the Beach Boys' quality control slip enough to let a badly glitched recording of "Country Air" slip through??
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:40:52 PM by TheLazenby » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 09:53:31 PM »

I remember playing Wild Honey in the car once, and someone commented on hearing "son of a bitch" in that song, and I thought they were crazy.  Listening to it, I guess it might be the line "knee high to a chicken" that does it, but I still can't hear anything remotely like SOB.

The noise in Country Air that buzzes is part of the track, and was intentional in some way, or enough to leave in the final mixdown.  I have no idea what it is, though it sounds like feedback maybe from the organ.   Huh
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 06:20:56 AM »

I remember playing Wild Honey in the car once, and someone commented on hearing "son of a bitch" in that song, and I thought they were crazy.  Listening to it, I guess it might be the line "knee high to a chicken" that does it, but I still can't hear anything remotely like SOB.

The noise in Country Air that buzzes is part of the track, and was intentional in some way, or enough to leave in the final mixdown.  I have no idea what it is, though it sounds like feedback maybe from the organ.   Huh

I believe it IS a distorted organ speaker rattling away, but I always thought it sounded close enough to a trumpet to think it IS a trumpet.  Doesn't really bother me either way.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »

Shortly after the Wild Honey album was released, a friend of mine bought the eight track, and a few days later told me that he was playing the tape of the album for the first time while changing a car transmission.  He said he was dropping the tranny down just when I Was Made to Love Her came on and the Beach Boys kept singing, "Hey, hey, hey, you son of a bitch!"  He said he started laughing so hard he almost let go of the transmission and it nearly fell on top of him.  He was quite surprised when I told him I had never heard such lyrics in the song.  When I got home I gave the album a listen and realized that the line, "Hey, hey, hey, yes I was made to love her" does sound like "Hey, hey, hey, you son of a bitch!"  Over the years there have been numerous reports of people hearing the lyrics as "You son of a bitch!" and, I frequently sing it to myself that why when listening to the song!  It definitely adds an element of fun and humor to the listening experience.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:41:18 PM »

Not as fun as my reaction to hearing the end of "I'd Like Just Once To See You" for the first time yesterday...  Cheesy
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »

... or the end of "Wild Situation".  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »

Yeah, that's a faulty organ according to the booklet.  (Notice that the problematic note is one of the ones being held in the background.)

As for "Wild Situation", what happens at the end?
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:26:22 PM »

Let's just say I won't play that song with my four year old around to hear those lyrics at the end.....
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »

As for "Wild Situation", what happens at the end?

Now, bear in mind, Dennis sings this line AFTER the point that the song probably was supposed to be faded out...but he sings "She got it hard, and now it's a big...."...well, it rhymes with "election".  But he's not singing about voting, so use your imagination...
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »

Ahh, so they called him "The Wood" for a reason!  Smiley

Shame, I thought Weird Al invented the fade-out gag.  (Every now and then, Al slips something naughty at the very end of a fade - there's "oh sh*t" in Dead Car Battery Blues, "you're just a pain in the ass" in Phony Calls, and "you cheap bastard" in Don't Download This Song.)
MBE
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 09:47:24 PM »

I still think it was Son of a Bi==h
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 12:18:53 AM »

Now, bear in mind, Dennis sings this line AFTER the point that the song probably was supposed to be faded out...but he sings "She got it hard, and now it's a big...."...well, it rhymes with "election".  But he's not singing about voting, so use your imagination...
LOL
Until my old computer died, I had a version on my hard drive where somebody had spliced in the closing part of All I want to Do immediately after.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 09:15:49 AM »

I have no idea how the Beach Boys made "hey, hey, yes I was made to love her" sound like "hey, hey, you son-of-a-bitch", but that's the way I heard it as well after buying the Reprise vinyl two-fer of "Wild Honey" and "20/20" back in the mid-70s! After that mistaken first impression, I have to remind myself what the real lyrics are every time I play the song. None of my friends could hear what I was getting at all those years ago, so it's funny to hear it mentioned on this board.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx