gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 01:44:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416566 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #3725 on: April 23, 2013, 11:34:22 AM »

There's a 1985 version: basically it's the '83 rebooted with the pukka tracks replacing some of the substitutes. Insert sheet is different too. Another BE artifact, despite promising the person who supplied the tapes he'd not copy it.

Sorry to sound stupid, but 'BE'?

Brad Elliott?
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: April 23, 2013, 10:06:30 PM »

I've always wondered, what would the fate of band be if Carl did infact goto Vietnam or jail (for not going to 'nam)?
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3727 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:12:45 PM by zatch » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #3728 on: April 23, 2013, 11:42:04 PM »

I've wondered if, say Dennis managed to survive to 2013 (or even further into the 80s), would his voice have made a recovery? By the time he died his voice was barely a whisper, so I wonder if he ever would have sang as well as he did before he was beaten to a pulp by Mike's brothers (if this is indeed the main cause of his vocal decline, I've always just assumed this)? Would the Beach Boys have re-recorded WIBNTLA for Radio?  Tongue

Dennis destroyed his voice himself and it declined steadily for several years. Nobody else's fault but his own imo.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: April 24, 2013, 01:41:13 AM »

I've wondered if, say Dennis managed to survive to 2013 (or even further into the 80s), would his voice have made a recovery? By the time he died his voice was barely a whisper, so I wonder if he ever would have sang as well as he did before he was beaten to a pulp by Mike's brothers (if this is indeed the main cause of his vocal decline, I've always just assumed this)? Would the Beach Boys have re-recorded WIBNTLA for Radio?  Tongue

Dennis destroyed his voice himself and it declined steadily for several years. Nobody else's fault but his own imo.

What was that beating story? Weren't they cousins? Are Mike's brothers as f***ed up as I have the impression they are? Even though Dennis could be quite an ass I imagine was he really deserving of this beating? What year was this and did it impact his singing?
Nicko1234
« Reply #3730 on: April 24, 2013, 02:03:34 AM »

What was that beating story? Weren't they cousins? Are Mike's brothers as f***ed up as I have the impression they are? Even though Dennis could be quite an ass I imagine was he really deserving of this beating? What year was this and did it impact his singing?

Dennis had been supplying Brian with drugs so they gave him a beating in the hope that he would stop. I have never heard anything about it affecting Dennis's singing. The use of drugs and tobacco had obviously already affected Dennis's voice.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: April 24, 2013, 05:31:20 AM »

http://www.cm-life.com/2013/04/24/top-10-summer-hits-of-all-time-2/

Surfin' USA is at #8 of that list. Imo it should've been at #1. Though, as I recall reading about it somewhere here, California Gurls (by Katy Perry) can be considered as a half/quarter-BBs number since that girl stole the idea from the same-titled song by them. So, it's their #1 as well, I suppose.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3732 on: April 24, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:12:41 PM by zatch » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: April 24, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »

Dennis had been supplying Brian with drugs so they gave him a beating in the hope that he would stop. I have never heard anything about it affecting Dennis's singing. The use of drugs and tobacco had obviously already affected Dennis's voice.

What I heard is that they punched in his larynx or something.

It makes sense. Because he still has a strong voice at the time they played the Knebworth festival in the UK (as evidenced by that release). However his 1981 voice is completely different. I know Dennis abused himself very much at the time but even that rapid deterioration seems unlikely based on his drug use alone.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: April 24, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »

I know Dennis abused himself very much at the time but even that rapid deterioration seems unlikely based on his drug use alone.

I thought… never mind - someone else'll say it.

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »

I know Dennis abused himself very much at the time but even that rapid deterioration seems unlikely based on his drug use alone.

I thought… never mind - someone else'll say it.

*Waits in anticipation*

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3736 on: April 24, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:12:37 PM by zatch » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »

So what's the deal with the lyrics to "Cottonfields", as far as the old man erection-direction business? He had a hat on, huh? A latex party hat?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: April 25, 2013, 05:44:32 AM »

http://www.cm-life.com/2013/04/24/top-10-summer-hits-of-all-time-2/

Surfin' USA is at #8 of that list. Imo it should've been at #1. Though, as I recall reading about it somewhere here, California Gurls (by Katy Perry) can be considered as a half/quarter-BBs number since that girl stole the idea from the same-titled song by them. So, it's their #1 as well, I suppose.

The songs are ranked by their Billboard chart strength, not by someone's opinion of the best summer songs of all time, here's the original URL which explains it with more detail:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/513566/top-30-summer-songs

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: April 25, 2013, 05:54:12 AM »

So what's the deal with the lyrics to "Cottonfields", as far as the old man erection-direction business? He had a hat on, huh? A latex party hat?
The hat thing probably means he is trustworthy (a cowboy of sort).

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: April 25, 2013, 05:55:15 AM »

It's society's fault.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:22 AM »

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: May 02, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »

How historical is Bruce Johnston?

Nicko1234
« Reply #3743 on: May 02, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »

How long exactly did the cheerleaders last with the touring band? Does anyone know when there first and last appearances were?
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: May 03, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »

Question:

Pet Sounds Boxset - Are the alternate tracks and sessions in these 4 CDs covered in UM 14 & 15?

Would you want to have both? (dumb question, probably)

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: May 04, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »

Does anyone have a copy of Lester Bangs' full Love You review they'd be willing to post somewhere?
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: May 06, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »

okay...Im trying hard not to start threads.

dumb question # 2

Wild Honey/ Here comes the Night.

(Assuming) you start the song in C the chorus starts in F,
sounds like a descending pattern from there but I am not
sure - anybody know how the correct way to play this? (piano, guitar)

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: May 06, 2013, 07:16:38 AM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:45:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: May 06, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »

It's society's fault.
No, it's not. Nicko is right, it's all Dennis's fault. I know that you all like him, I like him too, but let's be realistic: is Dennis a child that someone can force him to drink/do the drugs etc.? He chose that downhill road himself. You can say what you want, e.g. he wasn't given much support & he was a lonely soul yada yada. But I know many such people who still lead normal life. And unfortunately, Dennis had a weak will.
Sure sure, revisionist history because you say so.
I say you and Nicko come over, I'll punch each of you a couple of times in the throat, then we'll wait a few years and see if you still carry your convictions

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: May 06, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

I blame the parents…

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: