gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681203 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 07:31:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1419233 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3600 on: March 08, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »

Breaking News - Bruce is an original member of the Beach Boys

http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm

Mike's Love machine is looking desperate.  First their management puts out concert promos that would lead one to believe that Brian, Al and David are still in the group.  That didn't fly so now Bruce is promoted as an original member.

And the BeachBoysBand.net site is looking pretty damm cheap and cheesy these days.

M&B need to hang it up if they keep pulling these tricks.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »

I can not make out the Cruisin' lyrics and I have sung the wrong words for 10 years now. Need help from someone who speaks English for a living. Smiley

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOnW8Rui9k

Every night it's Friday night
The streets are jammed from light to light
The school is out, my school is in
All you need is wheels, we'll be happenin'

Cruisin', cruisin', winnin' or losin'
The name of the game is hangin' out
Bad guys, good guys rollin' down ?
To see and be seen is what it's all about

The man with the van (?), follow that car
They turned in the corner, but they can't get very far
Just step on it quick, we'll catch 'em fast
I know we can do it if we give it the gas

Southern Cal is where it's at
It's a kettle (?) little place and I like it like that
Indoors or out it is good for your head
I'd rather be here than any place instead
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:49:15 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3602 on: March 09, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »

Ok, this is going to sound REALLY terrible, but does IIGS on the BWPS DVD make anybody else laugh their ass off? Scott and Taylor start the song nicely, and there's a camera angle from the side and it all starts calmly and nicely. Then it's Brian's line and it's a front and center shot of this 60-something year old with a gut singing just *slightly* off, out of the corner of his mouth, with a bit of a wild look on his face. I can't help but laugh.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 09, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »

I can not make out the Cruisin' lyrics and I have sung the wrong words for 10 years now. Need help from someone who speaks English for a living. Smiley

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOnW8Rui9k

Every night it's Friday night
The streets are jammed from light to light
The school is out, my school is in
All you need is wheels, we'll be happenin'

The man with the van (?), follow that car
They turned in the corner, but they can't get very far
Just step on it quick, we'll catch 'em fast
I know we can do it if we give it the gas

Southern Cal is where it's at
It's a kettle (?) little place and I like it like that
Indoors or out it is good for your head
I'd rather be here than any place instead

What I hear: 
the first ? is Venice
the 2nd should be " Man, look at them, follow that car  They turned the corner but they can't be very far" 
and the 3rd is   "It´s a casual little place and I like it like that"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: March 09, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

what do you think is the most well known/iconic picture of the group? Here's my candidates:
- Surfin Safari album picture
- few pictures from that same era with them wading on the beach, holding a surfboard; also the picture with Brian and Mike holding a surfboard with Dennis, Dave and Carl sitting
- the "Do You Wanna Dance" single picture (why did they allow Dennis to have his shirt off)
- the stripped shirt picture with Al and Dennis in front and Mike Carl and Brian in back (all of which have both fists on their chin
- the picture of them in white shirts with Brian having his hand on a ladder and Carl's head on the right barely making it into the picture
- the Pet Sounds album picture
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3605 on: March 09, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »

You forgot the Surfer Girl album cover.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 09, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »

I was looking through the 1976 (i think) BB tour guide and noticed Mike has an awesome sweater or jacket that has the Wild Honey bee and I think, if I remember right, some of the flowers from the Wild Honey cover. I believe they're patches sewn on. Pretty awesome, prolly one of Mike's best wardrobes of the 70s.

Anyone seen this before? I tried finding a pic online but couldnt find one.
Anyone know if there's a story behind it? I'd love to have that WH jacket....even if it has Mike Love sweat in it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 10, 2013, 05:47:02 AM »

What I hear:  
the first ? is Venice
the 2nd should be " Man, look at them, follow that car  They turned the corner but they can't be very far"  
and the 3rd is   "It´s a casual little place and I like it like that"

Thanks, much appreciated!
Not sure about Venice though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:59:23 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »

Kind of a question but kinda off topic number I thought I'd bring up, hope no one's posted about it yet:

I was reading through one of the recent issues of MOJO that was a special Beatles issue about Magical Mystery Tour, nice to see some references to the Boys in there, one expected, two unexpected.

One was just a sentence telling what Macca was up to in 67 helping the Beach Boys record Vegetables. (that I expected to see, wish there was more info, but I'm sure whomever the Beatles expert was has as much info on it as we do.

Then unexpectedly, within the interview of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, specifically Neil Innes and Roger Ruskn Spear, RRS revealed "We did our cabaret act and it degenerated into a jam session - a couple of the Beach Boys, Lulu, Cilla Black dressed as Chaplin."   I wonder which BB those were!

Another unexpected BB reference, when the writer was discussing LSD and how it "takes you back to your childhood and/or repressed memories" and how it influenced the Beatles writing in She Said She Said, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Penny Lane. "In the US, there were songs like Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit, the Buffalo Springfield's I am A Child, and the Beach Boys' CHILD IS THE FATHER OF THE MAN."   I was SO excited to see this, but it made me think that really, they could have picked better BB songs that go back to that childhood theme, let alone, it wasn't just the Beatles writing about it. You Still Believe in Me would be a contender in my book. And Wonderful is a lot more child-like and CITFOTM, in my opinion...but then again, maybe they were lookin for titles with the word "Child" in it. Heck, Look/Song for the CHILDREN is more of a child-like song.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 10, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »

What I hear: 
the first ? is Venice
the 2nd should be " Man, look at them, follow that car  They turned the corner but they can't be very far" 

Up to you. Venice Blvd is a "major" street, running from the ocean( Venice) to downtown LA:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_Boulevard

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: March 10, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »

What I hear: 
the first ? is Venice

Up to you. Venice Blvd is a "major" street, running from the ocean( Venice) to downtown LA:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_Boulevard

Actually, I think the lyric might be "rollin' down VAN NUYS,"  Van Nuys Blvd being one of the main drags in the San Fernando valley, something of a hotspot for serious SoCal car culture.  At least, that's how I've always heard it!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3611 on: March 10, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »

Same here, from the first time I heard it (in the actual movie).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3612 on: March 10, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »

Breaking News - Bruce is an original member of the Beach Boys

http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm

Mike's Love machine is looking desperate.  First their management puts out concert promos that would lead one to believe that Brian, Al and David are still in the group.  That didn't fly so now Bruce is promoted as an original member.

And the BeachBoysBand.net site is looking pretty damm cheap and cheesy these days.

No, they didn't - that was the work of the local promoter: Mike's management provides the copy but, recently, in a few instances the promoter has chosen to use a C50 photo for an M&B show. That's swiftly been corrected.

And the BBBand site has always looked cheap & cheesy: they could, and should, do better.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 10, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »

What I hear: 
the first ? is Venice

Actually, I think the lyric might be "rollin' down VAN NUYS,"  Van Nuys Blvd being one of the main drags in the San Fernando valley, something of a hotspot for serious SoCal car culture.  At least, that's how I've always heard it!

Same here, from the first time I heard it (in the actual movie).

I defer to those with better hearing. 

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 10, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

Thanks, Alan!

I heard "vanas" or "vana", but had no idea there is a street called Van Nuys.

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: March 12, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »

instead of 15BO how would an all covers album have done in 1976 (could be called 15 Covers). And what I'm wondering is how do you think they would have done covering these songs?

1. St Elmos Fire (originally by Michael Franks)
2 Best of My Love (originally by Eagles)
3 Tin Man (originally by America)
4 Time (originally by Pink Floyd)
5 Hello Its Me (originally by Nazz, made popular by Todd Rundgren)
6 Jackie Blue (originally by Ozark Mountain Daredevils)
7 The Light That Has Lighted The World (originally by George Harrison)
8 At Seventeen (originally by Janis Ian)
9 Ridin the Storm Out (originally by REO Speedwagon)
10 Captain Jack (originally by Billy Joel)
11 Benny and the Jets (originally by Elton John)
12 Mind Games (originally be Lennon)
13 Ten Years Gone (originally be Led Zep)
14 Band on the Run (originally by Wings)
15 Turn That Heartbeat Over Again (originally by Steely Dan)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: March 19, 2013, 04:56:01 AM »

How frequently, if at all, was Chuck Britz interviewed in-depth about engineering the group? Are these online anywhere I could easily read them?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3617 on: March 19, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:41:05 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3618 on: March 19, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:41:21 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: March 19, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »

I have this friend and he only knows about fun and the sun hits and now that he feels so lied to and duped by con artists Mike and Bute ,he'll never make the leap of faith required to enjoy Holland. he will either renounce the Beach Boys entirely, or remain forever a stoopid surf  fan, he gives us "real" fans a bad name. He thinks they only surf! He make people laugh at us  He makes  people think they wernt super cool 70's band who had black guys and whit guys with beards who did sound like the band. All of this becuase -w-w-w-.b-e-a-c-h-b-o-y-s-b-a-n-d.-net, and tCoHne ArtSIt Brooth. make you sad?Huh
just have him watch Endless Harmony

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: March 19, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »

Is Country Love/First Love ever gonna see the light of day? I actually really enjoy First Love.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: March 19, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »

Is Country Love/First Love ever gonna see the light of day? I actually really enjoy First Love.

I'll bet that "Made in California" actually turns out to be a six-CD box-set of the Country Love sessions, with an entire disc devoted to sessions of "Wrinkles."

On a more serious note, I think there are legal problems preventing their release, and even without the legal problems I don't think either album would sell terribly well.  And I say that even though I also kind of like First Love (more than I expected to anyway).
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: March 19, 2013, 05:59:23 PM »

I do too.  Very nice late-70s, laid-back california sound to it.  It deserves a proper release.  I could live without Country Love, though.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: March 19, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »

What exactly prevented First Love from being released back in 1978? Were the legal troubles that far back?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »

Is there anything to suggest that Mike's divorce in mid-1964 helped influence the more sombre, introspectiveness of Today?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx