gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 03:08:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416575 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3100 on: October 30, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »

were they ashamed of the song "Luau" since it never got on any album or even compilation?

Rights, probably - remember, Hite had to sign a release for Capitol to use "Surfin'" on Safari.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: October 30, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »

were they ashamed of the song "Luau" since it never got on any album or even compilation?

I recall someone talking about an 80s interview where the song came up. Mike and Brian were talking about it, Mike said he thought it was interesting, and then Carl said he thought it was sh*t.

Just came up on random for me about a half hour ago. I don't see what's to be so ashamed about, if any of them are, it's a B-side to their first single and not bad considering. s'cute. Certainly deserving of a mere two minute spot on the box set, at least.

Don't we hear one of the Wilson brothers say "Let's do Luau!" during I Get Around on the Party! album?  Leads me to believe that he at least thought it was still a fun song in 1965!
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:12 AM »

in what interview did Dennis make the "Al looks like a guy waiting for a bus" comment? It seems like a negative connotation and I thought Dennis and Al got along?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: October 31, 2012, 07:00:33 AM »

in what interview did Dennis make the "Al looks like a guy waiting for a bus" comment? It seems like a negative connotation and I thought Dennis and Al got along?
I don't necessarily see a negative connotation there. Is it an established deprecative idiom? (English isn't my first language.)

I always understood it as a description of how cute/twee/inoffensive Al looks. Just like, you know, a guy standing around, waiting for a bus.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: October 31, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »

Was 'Had To Phone Ya' written during the Caribou sessions?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: October 31, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »

Rights, probably - remember, Hite had to sign a release for Capitol to use "Surfin'" on Safari.

… and yet "First Wave" was suffocated?  That puts those sessions into Limbo, surely…  A shame as they'd've been an obvious Disc One for the box.

“We live in divisive times.”
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: October 31, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »

Was 'Had To Phone Ya' written during the Caribou sessions?

A few posts up Andrew just confirmed it was recorded by Spring in '72/'73 so to answer your question: no! The song's origins date from the late '65 instrumental, Trombone Dixie and Love to Say Da-Da in mid-'67, so it could have been written any time between '67 and '72.

That being said, you could have fooled me on the '72/'73 date Andrew. Those synth textures have got to be the closest thing that's come to the "Love You" aesthetic without being produced in that time frame. Even the synth laden numbers on "15 Big Ones" sound much further away by comparison.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3107 on: October 31, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »

… and yet "First Wave" was suffocated?  That puts those sessions into Limbo, surely…  A shame as they'd've been an obvious Disc One for the box.

I think you'll find the problem with First Wave wasn't so much the original ownership of the tapes as who was offering the project.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: October 31, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »

I figured that, being that it wasn't written by any of the guys, more so Bruce Morgan (I think!). I think it's a lovely tune though, it's got Dennis very vocally in parts of it. I think Luau and Lavender deserve to be on the box set for sure!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: October 31, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »

Happy Halloween everybody!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7etxsXuln8

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »

love that fake british accent of Mike's
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: October 31, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »

Y'ever heard the original?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: October 31, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »

yep
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: November 02, 2012, 12:08:36 AM »

I think you'll find the problem with First Wave wasn't so much the original ownership of the tapes as who was offering the project.

Ah… hadn't realised he was already in the bad books by then… otherwise I wouldn't have ordered and paid for two copies…

halblaineisgood
« Reply #3114 on: November 02, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »

Where is the endless loop of Be my Baby 8 track cartridge? Brian's attic?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: November 02, 2012, 02:20:08 AM »

Has anyone bothered to figure just how much the sessions which turned into the songs (and so albums) we love cost to record? It'd be interesting to see how, e.g., Shut Down, Vol. 2 differed in cost (or didn't?) to an album like Love You or Sunflower.
G.C
« Reply #3116 on: November 02, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »

What is this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS2RQChSItA
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: November 02, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »

Scott Bennett, Brian Wilson collaborator and longserving musician in his touring band, taking the lead on Sail On Sailor.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: November 02, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »

Ah… hadn't realised he was already in the bad books by then… otherwise I wouldn't have ordered and paid for two copies…

any chance you got your $$ back? ( hope you did)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: November 03, 2012, 03:22:56 AM »

Did anyone?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: November 03, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »

Did anyone?

I did.  I knew a couple others that did, but of course there are some that were left on the hook big time. Thousands of $$'s 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: November 03, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »

It's a long time ago I guess and my own contribution to his retirement fund was pretty small. Hopefully we'll get to hear the stuff someday, by fair means or foul - hopefully fair, hopefully in January!

G.C
« Reply #3122 on: November 03, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »

Scott Bennett, Brian Wilson collaborator and longserving musician in his touring band, taking the lead on Sail On Sailor.

I know that. What concert is it from? I didn't know there was a BW show in oct. last year.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: November 03, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »

I know that. What concert is it from? I didn't know there was a BW show in oct. last year.
Beneath the video it says

Nokia LA Live. Los Angeles 10-26-11

- so my guess is a private/corporate gig (for Nokia employees or something, you know).

But yeah, there obviously was a BW show in October last year.  Wink
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: November 03, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »

What songs does Mike play Sax on?

(I remember someone saying he played it on Shut Down at some point?)

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx