gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 04:48:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416595 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: April 20, 2011, 06:13:04 AM »

I've read occasionally here that Brian came to intensely dislike his falsetto voice. Has he ever talked about this in interviews (historical or contemporary)? Was it something that people in his circle simply knew? Am I right in thinking one of the reasons he began to smoke was because he wanted to lower his normal voice? For a guy who supposedly didn't like his falsetto voice, he certainly seemed to use it -- and sing high notes generally -- frequently enough still. My point being this: I find this interesting and kind of surprising and I'd like to know more!
His vetoing of Let Him Run Wild is evidence of this I believe.
Ginger Blake has said this in an interview that he's very self-concious about it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Paulos
« Reply #1351 on: April 22, 2011, 01:10:26 AM »

Did Murry Wilson ever attend any SMiLE era sessions? Is it known what his opinion of the recordings was? The reason I ask is because I've just heard a version of With Me Tonight that starts with talking in the control room, and the voice kind of sounded like Murry to me.

I'm not aware he attended any BB sessions between "Rhonda" and "Be Here In The Morning" (of course he could have)- anyone know better ?

On the first OMP session on the SOT set, you can hear some people talking in the background, and one voice sort of sounds like Murry's. Then Brian says 'C'mon Dad, leave me alone'. You have to turn it up a bit, but it's there.

Thanks - I'll check it out. I know someone who has some of those nasty bootleg things.  Roll Eyes

I imagine that your Beach Boys & related artists bootleg collection is probably bigger than most peoples entire record collection!  Smiley

Sir, I possess none of these 'bootlegs': that would be morally reprehensible in the extreme.

I stand corrected and apologise for the unintenional slight upon your character.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 22, 2011, 11:48:08 AM »

I've read occasionally here that Brian came to intensely dislike his falsetto voice. Has he ever talked about this in interviews (historical or contemporary)? Was it something that people in his circle simply knew? Am I right in thinking one of the reasons he began to smoke was because he wanted to lower his normal voice? For a guy who supposedly didn't like his falsetto voice, he certainly seemed to use it -- and sing high notes generally -- frequently enough still. My point being this: I find this interesting and kind of surprising and I'd like to know more!
Ginger Blake has said this in an interview that he's very self-concious about it.

If I'm remembering the same quote as you are, I think what Ginger said was that he was self-conscious about it in the early days, not necessarily his entire career.  Aside from the self-destructive chain-smoking period, I don't think he really ever disliked his high voice.  In more contemporary interviews that I've read, he's never said anything to that effect, and has always had positive things to say about his high voice.

The case of "Let Him Run Wild" was more a matter of his delivery as I recall, specifically that the "let him ruuuuun" part was a little whiny. 

If you want my take on it, if Brian really hated his high voice that much, he wouldn't have made such an effort to get it back after he destroyed it in the mid-70's.   
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
!
« Reply #1353 on: April 26, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »

I won't know til next week, when I am back at my flat - For now it  is purely visual pleasure  LOL

I listened to it. It sounds wonderful and crisp!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 26, 2011, 06:11:20 PM »

If I'm remembering the same quote as you are, I think what Ginger said was that he was self-conscious about it in the early days, not necessarily his entire career.  Aside from the self-destructive chain-smoking period, I don't think he really ever disliked his high voice.  In more contemporary interviews that I've read, he's never said anything to that effect, and has always had positive things to say about his high voice.

The case of "Let Him Run Wild" was more a matter of his delivery as I recall, specifically that the "let him ruuuuun" part was a little whiny. 

If you want my take on it, if Brian really hated his high voice that much, he wouldn't have made such an effort to get it back after he destroyed it in the mid-70's.   

Yeah, that's what I figured, that he actually wasn't especially displeased with it because if he truly was he would not have worked as hard as he did to continue singing in those ranges. That is not contradictory to a desire to sound more "manly" though either, of course. He could do both (though one less and less, sadly)!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 26, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »

I've never understood why from the mid 1970's on, Brian would often practically force himself to sing as high as possible. Now, I can understand that there were various group pressures for him to have his old voice. But the thing that baffles me is that Brian would force himself even when he knew that he couldn't do it. Don't tell me he was to stoned or drunk to not know realise it. The Long Beach 1981 version of "Don't Worry Baby" is a perfect example. After the first verse, he had to have consciously known that he sounded bad. Why didn't he just drop down to a mid range, like he does today? There are several examples of this. Brian's attempt at leading "In My Room" from Lakeland 1978 is another good example.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 26, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »

I've never understood why from the mid 1970's on, Brian would often practically force himself to sing as high as possible. Now, I can understand that there were various group pressures for him to have his old voice. But the thing that baffles me is that Brian would force himself even when he knew that he couldn't do it. Don't tell me he was to stoned or drunk to not know realise it. The Long Beach 1981 version of "Don't Worry Baby" is a perfect example. After the first verse, he had to have consciously known that he sounded bad. Why didn't he just drop down to a mid range, like he does today? There are several examples of this. Brian's attempt at leading "In My Room" from Lakeland 1978 is another good example.

Oh I'm sure he knew - someone with an ear like his couldn't just not realize it.  I think his attempts to pull of his "old" voice stemmed from not being able to admit to himself that he couldn't do it anymore.  It's hard to accept the fact that as you get older, you just can't do certain things as easily/naturally as you once did (of course, in Brian's case it wasn't so much age as it was coke and chain smoking, but still).  Essentially Brian was in denial, although in his defense, after the horrendous first verse of "Don't Worry Baby," he did improv a lower melody that he could sing more comfortably.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 29, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

According to various sources, Brian Wilson was photographed with exotica legend eden ahbez some time during the Smile era. Does anybody have a link to that photo, or know anything about it?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 29, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »

According to various sources, Brian Wilson was photographed with exotica legend eden ahbez some time during the Smile era. Does anybody have a link to that photo, or know anything about it?

No idea on the photo, but from SpaceagePop.com comes this quote:  
>>Ahbez popped up in a few different places during the 1960s, most prominently with Brian Wilson somewhere in the days before the legendary Pet Sounds and Smile albums were recorded. <<

But then from Answers.com comes this one: 
>>
Ahbez was photographed with Brian Wilson in the studio in 1966, lending further credence to the theory that the head Beach Boy was influenced by exotica during the Pet Sounds and Smile sessions. Ahbez died in 1995 after an auto accident. ~ Richie Unterberger, Rovi <<

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:49:58 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 29, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »

The piece in Dumb Angel #4 — "The Marimba You Send Out, Returns To You" — was written by Tobias Bernsand and Brian Chidester. It explores the evolution of Exotica, from Les Baxter through Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman, and these composers' influence on Brian's "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" era music.

It also makes ties to Esquivel and Eden Ahbez. Great photo of BW and Ahbez in the studio, too.

M.

quote from the Martin Denny/Pet Sounds thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8605.0.html

I really want a copy of that Dumb Angel issue.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:52:36 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 29, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »

The piece in Dumb Angel #4 — "The Marimba You Send Out, Returns To You" — was written by Tobias Bernsand and Brian Chidester. It explores the evolution of Exotica, from Les Baxter through Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman, and these composers' influence on Brian's "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" era music.

It also makes ties to Esquivel and Eden Ahbez. Great photo of BW and Ahbez in the studio, too.

M.

quote from the Martin Denny/Pet Sounds thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8605.0.html

I really want a copy of that Dumb Angel issue.

YEah, me too!  Stands to reason # 4 would be the one I'm missing

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 29, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »

Is there a clear timeline anywhere regarding Brian's drug intake? The first song he wrote "on pot" (which does not mean it was his first time smoking it, of course) was "Please Let Me Wonder" according to allmusic. As we know, "California Girls" was the song he wrote after his first LSD trip. Would such a timeline be relatively solid -- something like, say, 'smoked pot from 1965 to 1972' --  or would it be fractured -- more along the lines of, e.g., 'heroin 1968, 1971-74, 1980-83'? I am also curious what drugs he did end up doing. Speed, pot, LSD, coke, heroin (?), alcohol...  anything else I'm missing?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1362 on: April 29, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »

I think there's a thread here somewhere about it. My understanding is the last time he smoked weed was during the 2nd Landy era...there's a video on You Tube (maybe it's not there anymore) concerning the making of the In My Car video where him & Landy are talking, and Brian says he wants to buy " a half, a dime, and some Xanax". I think he started doing heroin in 1974. I don't think he dropped acid after 1967. Coke came in 1967 courtesy of Danny Hutton. He was doing speed as early as Smile, if not sooner.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1363 on: April 30, 2011, 01:00:20 AM »

I think there's a thread here somewhere about it. My understanding is the last time he smoked weed was during the 2nd Landy era...there's a video on You Tube (maybe it's not there anymore) concerning the making of the In My Car video where him & Landy are talking, and Brian says he wants to buy " a half, a dime, and some Xanax". I think he started doing heroin in 1974. I don't think he dropped acid after 1967. Coke came in 1967 courtesy of Danny Hutton. He was doing speed as early as Smile, if not sooner.

Certainly during the 2nd Landy era, if he was a 'good boy' during the day he was allowed a joint in the evening. Anything after that, I wouldn't like to even speculate.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 30, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »

Someone here will have the Rolling Stone story with Brian in speedos on a piano at the beach. Doesn't he mention his use of weed in that and Landy is surprised?
Of course that 'surprised' may be for the writers benefit. Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1365 on: May 01, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »

I wonder too if Brian had used Ecstasy in the 80s, considering it was initially introduced as an anti-depressant.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #1366 on: May 01, 2011, 01:09:59 AM »

Pills Probably fairly early. Once read he had to pop a tranquilizer to pass his drivers test 
Pot late 1964
LSD early spring 1965
Cocaine some say late 1967 I would put it at more like late 1968. Carl once stated he didn't realize Brian had a real problem with it until the So Tough sessions.
Herion Probably 1973-74
As far as when he last did it who knows. I assume no herion or cocaine since 1983 but with Landy who the hell can tell. LSD I doubt he did after the sixties though I do think he did it more then three times. Pills probably stopped doing the wrong ones after Landy As far as pot perhaps he still does it once in a while.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 01, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »

Pills Probably fairly early. Once read he had to pop a tranquilizer to pass his drivers test 
Pot late 1964
LSD early spring 1965
Cocaine some say late 1967 I would put it at more like late 1968. Carl once stated he didn't realize Brian had a real problem with it until the So Tough sessions.
Herion Probably 1973-74
As far as when he last did it who knows. I assume no herion or cocaine since 1983 but with Landy who the hell can tell. LSD I doubt he did after the sixties though I do think he did it more then three times. Pills probably stopped doing the wrong ones after Landy As far as pot perhaps he still does it once in a while.

I'd lean toward late 1967 for the cocaine, judging by comments from Danny Hutton. Brian's voice changed from Wild Honey to Friends, as well. which is a symptom of cocaine (ab)use.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1368 on: May 01, 2011, 02:36:55 AM »

In Waiting For The Sun, Barney Hoskyns states that "someone" - probably Hutton - introduced Brian to coke at the Whiskey in December 1968.

As for smack, we know Brian was still doing it in spring 1978.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:38:24 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 01, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »

As far as pot perhaps he still does it once in a while.

This is something I've often wondered about.  A lot of people that have kicked hard drugs or alcohol (or any life threatening addiction really) don't count pot as a harmful drug.  Indeed, if you're gonna have something to take the edge off every once in a while pot is far down the ladder of harmful substances.  But I don't want this to become a pro-drugs/anti-drug debate like the Smile thread, so understand my drug stance is pretty neutral.  I am curious if Brian has had the odd toke here and there, perhaps at Scott's home studio while demoing TLOS?  I find it hard to believe that he doesn't reward himself with some greens every now and then, especially if he wants to loosen up the musical muscle a bit.  We all know about the famous Van Dyke Parks "butthole" tirade at Ringo's birthday in the (mid?) 90s, but are there any other instances in the past 20 years of Brian cutting loose with some alcohol or weed?  You'd think he'd refrain from alcohol, considering his bad patch with it in the late 70s, but maybe he's found a good way to manage the occasional drink.  I don't mean to ask these questions to be exploitive or Brian and his struggles, I'm just curious.  I've had my own struggles with alcohol, so hearing musician recovery stories is always inspiring to me, hearing how they found a balance in their lives.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
MBE
« Reply #1370 on: May 01, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »

In Waiting For The Sun, Barney Hoskyns states that "someone" - probably Hutton - introduced Brian to coke at the Whiskey in December 1968.

As for smack, we know Brian was still doing it in spring 1978.

The Catch a Wave book seems to go for late 1968. Personaly I love Brian's voice on Friends, and through 1974. He sounds older then he did on Surfing USA but already by Pet Sounds his tone had matured some.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 01, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »

As far as pot perhaps he still does it once in a while.

This is something I've often wondered about.  A lot of people that have kicked hard drugs or alcohol (or any life threatening addiction really) don't count pot as a harmful drug.  Indeed, if you're gonna have something to take the edge off every once in a while pot is far down the ladder of harmful substances.  But I don't want this to become a pro-drugs/anti-drug debate like the Smile thread, so understand my drug stance is pretty neutral.  I am curious if Brian has had the odd toke here and there, perhaps at Scott's home studio while demoing TLOS?  I find it hard to believe that he doesn't reward himself with some greens every now and then, especially if he wants to loosen up the musical muscle a bit.  We all know about the famous Van Dyke Parks "butthole" tirade at Ringo's birthday in the (mid?) 90s, but are there any other instances in the past 20 years of Brian cutting loose with some alcohol or weed?  You'd think he'd refrain from alcohol, considering his bad patch with it in the late 70s, but maybe he's found a good way to manage the occasional drink.  I don't mean to ask these questions to be exploitive or Brian and his struggles, I'm just curious.  I've had my own struggles with alcohol, so hearing musician recovery stories is always inspiring to me, hearing how they found a balance in their lives.

Supposedly him & Scott would reward themselves with a beer after writing songs for TLOS. Which seems about right for a man his age and on medication.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 03, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »

I wonder how much of the instruments in Denny's Moni Kani is buried in the poor mix that went around a while ago....with all that we heard/discovered on the Bambu mixes, I bet it'd be unreal what kind of sounds we'd hear on a proper mix of this tune....sheer genius that should have been on 20/20.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 04, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »

Has the title Slow Booze been confirmed as a track that exists or is it connected to Holy Man in some way as it's written together sometimes as a title or was it a working title for Holy Man?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 04, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »

The first time I met Brian (B.B. Kings New York Aug 19, 2002), I was surprised to see him drinking a can of Coors Light (relatively quickly I might add).   I was surprised at the time to see him drink at all, but as long as he has it under control a drink or two now and then shouldn't be a problem, right?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx