-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:31:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Lester Bangs
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lester Bangs  (Read 16316 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »

80 minutes of solo Lou Reed? Wow, the Spanish Inquisition would have done anything for an instrument of THAT kind of torture.
I'd take almost any solo Reed over about 50-60% of BW's solo output ... and probably 30% of the Beach Boys' output.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »

80 minutes of solo Lou Reed? Wow, the Spanish Inquisition would have done anything for an instrument of THAT kind of torture.

It's not ALL solo Lou Reed, there's asprinkling of some Velvet Underground in there, too.

Ascrodin and Lance, thanks for your suggestions; I'm screening them both. "Sunday Morning" always reminded me of a Monkees song or something.

Donald, sadly Lester Bangs died about 25-26 years ago from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs and cold medicine taken together, to treat a bad cold.

And, finally, I know it should be on a separate thread, but, what the hell....I put The Doors - and specifically Jim Morrison - up there with anybody, and I mean anybody. I'm not saying they were better than The Beach Boys, The Beatles, or The Rolling Stones, but, for that period of 1967-1971, they were as good, or, in my opinion, better than anyone. There is a legitimate reason why The Doors catalogue continues to outsell almost all other acts from that era.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »

There is a legitimate reason why The Doors catalogue continues to outsell almost all other acts from that era.
The fact that there are always new, overly dramatic, wannabe-dark-and-moody teenagers around?  Grin   Seriously, those records are all very well done. I'm not a big fan anymore, but I have been one, and the change is more to changing taste than any sort of "oooh, I grew up and am smarter now." All the albums are right there about four feet from me (see 'em? --->).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »

Sheriff

I wore out a couple copies back inthe day...of the first 2 albums...liked stuff like crystal ship and unknown soldier, and people are strange, when the musics over........maybe too much..
got tired of the drug culture music...some of the stuff I loved back then is just too hard to listen to now....maybe why i've been so into the
Beachboys last two decades....
lost friends, favorite musicians, 
too much death and sadness.....and God knows life is too short......
but that music was quite meaningful to me back in the day
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »

I know where you're coming from, Donald. The Doors were my first favorite group, back in late grade school and high school. I don't want to sound too weird about it, but I do think their music - and Morrison of course - had an affect on me, or at least some faction of my personality. It hit me at a very impressionable time, in a lot of ways. I guess I was one of those people Luther was referring to in his post, even though he was saying it tongue-in-cheek. When I listen to The Doors' music today, no, I don't get those same feelings (is  that good?), but it's not long before I can still really get into it, more than any other music besides the Beach Boys. The Doors' music remains a very pleasurable listening experience, I still love Doors/Morrison documentaries (although THE great one hasn't been made yet), and I still wish that Ray, Robby, and John would record again together!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »

SJS, I was joking, but only somewhat. That is (as far as I can see) the Doors key new audience, adding to the base of those people who were fans the first time around. I don't really mean it derisively, even as I kid about it, but just factually. I believe most serious music fans hit phases at one point or another that takes them through all the big ones. The Doors are one of those, and those years, that time period, are prime territory. There's really nothing quite so perfect for a certain kind of teenage boy as the Doors.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 07:57:06 PM »

Luther, I GOT your post, and you're right. I agree with what you wrote, in your Lutherian way of putting things. But I always felt I was kind of an exception. In one way, I guess I was one of those teenagers you correctly desribe(d), being led by Mr. Mojo Risin' to break on through to the other side. But I also felt that I was sophisticated enough to appreciate the brilliance of the musicians. I mean, I could appreciate Ray, Robby, and John for their talents as much as the rantings of Jim. And, in the end, that's what keeps me going back to their music.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 08:04:36 PM »

I think we're all the exception--each of us--especially at that age. That's what makes music so powerful for us then. As much as I love it now, I don't know if anything can grab me the way it did when I was 14 and whoever (probably Gene Simmons or someone) was singing in my stead, the words right out of my mouth.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 10:27:30 AM »

I really enjoyed Almost Famous.  I enjoyed the Doors when they were new.  I now only like to occasionally listen to the last music they made.  Seems the booze and drugs made Morrison less intellectually pretentious, more down to earth, and thus more listenable.

I never got the thing about elevating JM to some mythical status i.e. the Lizard King etc.  He WAS a good rock singer.

LA Woman, Roadhouse Blues.   Give me that stuff.

I sometimes flash on the album cover of Strange Days when I'm at a flea market or a free concert downtown.

Is Lester Bangs Alive?

As to your last question: Lester Bangs has been dead for a long time now. The irony is: according to Marcus, he was a roaring drunk, a real holy fool for a long time, so bad that he could 'stink up a room', in Marcus' words. Which means, I think, that peculiar smell of gastric booze itself, the terrible sweat that only booze can bring about, and the being unwashed for oh, a week or so, which gives dandruff and a very salty smell because of the extreme dehydration. There's also some aldehydes in there. I bet that if you'd held a Zippo near Bangs at that time, he'd have exploded like people in a Cronenberg movie do.
After this interesting digression: Bangs cleaned up totally (must have been the early 80s, I think). Perhaps he did it too abruptly. People who stop steeply are prone to epileptic bouts for some time, or a heart attack.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »

The old man who lives across the hall has the old alky reek. It is definitely something to experience.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 06:10:26 AM »

The music you dig in your formative years does indeed stay with you.  I used to listen to a lot of Jefferson Airplane.  Some of that music is indelibly etched into my brain to the extent that I don't really have to play the recording...I can recall it pretty much note by note and listen "in my head".

Definitely a fact that the Doors have or had special appeal to some adolescent males of a certain age over the years...I was one of them and I've met them over the years as I have gotten older....and Jim did not.

The line "music is you're only friend...until the end...until the end"    .....resonated with me at the age of 15....

And the music was very listenable, unlike a lot of the experimental noodling that went on in rock back then.

I don't know about you guys....but a lot of the music back then had amazing lyrical imagery ....and seemed to put my teen angst into words that i could savor and revel in......

I sometimes think that is the appeal of hardcore Rap to kids in recent years.....although I have to say I find it mostly unlistenable..(imagine my parents said the same of the rock I listened to at 15) Cheesy Cheesy
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 02:14:14 AM »

What I can't stand about a lot of 'decadent' acts (not specifically the Doors) is that (in my eyes) phony preoccupation with literature/poetry. I don't really think that Morrison knew Rimbaud very well, or Blake, or Shelley, or Verlaine; he was a namedropper IMHO, which may appeal to a certain type of college-dropout who is too lazy to actually read the stuff him/herself and graduate in it; no, let's all get drunk together. Whilst that last idea may seem very appealing in itself (it is to me...), it does not enhance the 'art' in the music. Same with Reed, Velvets, god knows who else. But then, I never found Warhol an artist. He was some designer with a keen eye on his wallet. Meh.
The worst I can think of is Burroughs. Working my way through 'Naked Lunch' was an ordeal, no less. Dreck. The pits. No matter what certain Californian art critics from the time said. Well, Burroughs did not even make a good William Tell, I tells ya.

People, lets get it straight: art requires work. Ideas, yes, but also technique and work.

Hey, did you know that Carol Kaye claims to have played bass on 'Light My Fire', despite there being no bass on that song?

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 05:45:35 AM »

Other of Burroughs' books are actually readable. He didn't put the Naked Lunch together. It was assembled from random writings on loose paper by friends of his.

Another thing: for all his pretension, I bet that Morrison DID know Rimbaud. I mean, it's not like Rimbaud wrote tons and tons of stuff; and he is very popular with the college drop-out crowd, probably doubly so in the sixties; and Rimbaud is overrated(by rock stars, no less) in my honest opinion anyway. AS far as Nietsche goes, again, lots of people have read these people. If any "intellectual" writer influenced Morrison, I guess it would be Jung or Campbell or somebody--but his primary influence was theatre, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:47:52 AM by lance » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 08:45:43 AM »

Lance, I think you have it.  Theatre.

Kind of like Mike Love fronting the Beach Boys, if you stop to think about it.

or Fred Garrity fronting the Dreamers Wink

Just having fun...don't wish to offend the fans of Mr. Mojo Rising.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »

What I can't stand about a lot of 'decadent' acts (not specifically the Doors) is that (in my eyes) phony preoccupation with literature/poetry. I don't really think that Morrison knew Rimbaud very well, or Blake, or Shelley, or Verlaine; he was a namedropper IMHO, which may appeal to a certain type of college-dropout who is too lazy to actually read the stuff him/herself and graduate in it; no, let's all get drunk together.

Hey, did you know that Carol Kaye claims to have played bass on 'Light My Fire', despite there being no bass on that song?

I think Jim Morrison DID know the great poets very well; I've seen all of the documentaries and don't recall much, if any, namedropping. One does not have to have a "degree" in a particular subject to be considered an expert in it.

And, there is a bass guitar recorded on "Light My Fire". Larry Knechtel was brought in to play bass over Ray Manzarek's keyboard bass.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 10:19:26 PM »

mikek love is theatrical too. The difference is, while Mike Love is pretty much acting on instinct(though I am sure he prepares) Morrison knew exactly what he was doing and consciously connected the world of rock and roll to the world of Antonin Artaud and all those guys. He saw and consciously, intellectually defined what was already true: Rock and roll singer is shaman. He saw the mythology inherent in a concert, in a star and made it part of his act. It takes some brains, and yes, some education(whether gained in university or home alone) to be able to do that kind of thing.

I don't think his songs are good poetry or anything, I think that that is his pretension--when I read his poems the most I can say is he would probably have gotten better over time, but he was far from being there yet. But he deserves some credit for what he did to that was cool.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 01:22:24 AM »

mikek love is theatrical too. The difference is, while Mike Love is pretty much acting on instinct(though I am sure he prepares) Morrison knew exactly what he was doing and consciously connected the world of rock and roll to the world of Antonin Artaud and all those guys. He saw and consciously, intellectually defined what was already true: Rock and roll singer is shaman. He saw the mythology inherent in a concert, in a star and made it part of his act. It takes some brains, and yes, some education(whether gained in university or home alone) to be able to do that kind of thing.

I don't think his songs are good poetry or anything, I think that that is his pretension--when I read his poems the most I can say is he would probably have gotten better over time, but he was far from being there yet. But he deserves some credit for what he did to that was cool.

At first I read: 'making love is theatrical too'. Makes sense. I am told that women can multitask, so far that they actually can fake an orgasm whilst reading Cosmopolitan.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 10:45:21 AM »

Fred Garrity was Shaman of the silly dance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: