gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680906 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 07:50:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 163145 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »

Love the new profile Billy! LOL

I had to do a double take, for a second there I thought the real deal was back Computer Smash! hahaha

Me too!  Very funny!

As for Brian performing some other album - I know it isn't going to happen but SMiLE would have been nice - in what would have been its 50th anniversary had it been released in 1967. We haven't heard it live before with Al (and for that matter Matt).

Another SMiLE tour is about the last interesting thing I think Brian & Al can do to fill seats. The "Pet Sounds" cash cow is going to shrivel up if they keep pulling this "final performance" bullshit in the same cities. But I would be incredibly excited by a SMiLE tour, since I was 11 years old and wouldn't have known Brian Wilson if he were my neighbor at the time.  LOL

Brian has apparently eschewed doing "Surf's Up" because it's a pain to sing, so I think a full "Smile" tour becomes increasingly less likely.

They did do almost 100 "Smile" shows between 2004 and 2005. While I'd surely rather hear a "Smile" show at this point than "Pet Sounds", what I'd like much more than any "album" show is a full setlist with some truly new and rare additions from throughout the career.

"Smile" is indeed the only other album they could market a tour around. That is, *if* they felt they needed to keep marketing a tour around a specific album. Brian and Al can book "regular" shows too.

As for playing the same cities this year for PS, I think most of the North American dates on the 2017 schedule are either new cities/venues/markets, or a second show in a city/market that wanted a second show last year but couldn't schedule one in time.

Whether we like it or not, the "Pet Sounds" demand isn't shriveling up any time soon. There was an article last year during the tour that described how they had more offers than they could accept. They described how they could have booked a *third* night in San Francisco if the schedule had allowed. If anything, demand is so high that it probably means all of the 2017 dates, wherever they are, will also be PS shows.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:59:35 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »

Spot on. Let me clarify, that the "shriveling" would only come, in my opinion, from the back and forth with the fans over the moniker "final". There should never be a doubt that "Pet Sounds" will sell out night after night.
KDS
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »

Spot on. Let me clarify, that the "shriveling" would only come, in my opinion, from the back and forth with the fans over the moniker "final". There should never be a doubt that "Pet Sounds" will sell out night after night.

Well, to be fair to Brian, we're still waiting on the first true "Farewell Tour" of any kind.

The Eagles kept going for years, and were only stopped by Glenn Frey's death

KISS has been touring pretty consistently since their farewell tour in 2000

Scorpions and Judas Priest have each released new albums and done tours since their 2010 farewells

The Who existed for over 30 years after their 1982 farewell tour.  

Motley Crue and Black Sabbath (whose first farewell was in 1999) recently wrapped up farewells, so time will tell if we see them again.  
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:52:16 PM by KDS » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

As for playing the same cities this year for PS, I think most of the North American dates on the 2017 schedule are either new cities/venues/markets, or a second show in a city/market that wanted a second show last year but couldn't schedule one in time.

Yeah, last year Austin TX was on the schedule (but rained out). This year Brian is coming to HOUSTON baby and I hope to be there!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »

I think the only album that is going to be a sellout concert attraction besides PS is Endless Summer.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »

If Brian is still up for touring next year, it would be awesome to see the band celebrate the 30th anniversary of his first solo album.  I think it would work really well live though they could maybe play with the sequencing so that they still close with Love and Mercy for instance.  It might not be a sellout but I think it would satisfy audiences, both casual and hardcore.  They could call the tour "30 Years of Love and Mercy" or something along those lines.  Doubtful that it would happen but still I dream of it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:03:03 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »

If Brian is still up for touring next year, it would be awesome to see the band celebrate the 30th anniversary of his first solo album.  I think it would work really well live though they could maybe play with the sequencing so that they still close with Love and Mercy for instance.  It might not be a sellout but I think it would satisfy audiences, both casual and hardcore.  They could call the tour "30 Years of Love and Mercy" or something along those lines.  Doubtful that it would happen but still I dream of it.

I know this will never happen, but I would love this too.

If the band did a more orchestral Pet Sounds-ish version of the BW88 album it would be killer. Put that on a live album release and you've got a tremendous record to listen to.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2017, 06:26:40 AM »

I think the only "album-themed" shows we'll ever see from Brian are the obvious; PS and Smile. I could *maybe* envision a shorter "Love You" tour targeted at the super hardcore fans, maybe a super short run of shows in large clubs or small theaters; "Love You" is one of the only Beach Boys albums where Brian wouldn't be left having to do other members' songs that he would never do (which is why we'll never see him do a "Sunflower" tour; I just can't picture him doing "Tears in the Morning", etc.).

I just don't see BW '88 being played in its entirety. Brian has largely stripped solo material out of his shows outside of "Love and Mercy" and maybe a remnant from NPP. Even in 2000 when he was ostensibly promoting the BW '88 CD reissue, the only thing we saw added was "Let It Shine", which only lasted a few months in the setlist. He eventually did do "Melt Away" as I recall here and there. I have no interest particularly in hearing him do "Little Children" live.

Don't get me wrong, I *always* like to see setlists get drastic changes, so I'd still love to see him try the whole BW '88 album for that reason alone.

But there's just zero interest from the masses for a BW '88 tour, and I don't even think among the "hardcore" fans it's high up on the list. A "Love You" tour has been most often thrown around as an idea by hardcore fans.

But apart from the super slim possibility of "Smile", I don't envision Brian taking any other album out on tour for a lengthy period of time.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2017, 08:24:58 AM »

Maybe they wouldn't do the whole album but just the thought of the band doing Rio Grande live would be amazing.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »

That's the thing, even if it isn't an "album tour," there is always room for a handful of change-ups. The Jardine-Marks tour from a few years back--'12? '13? I saw it at the MN Zoo--had some great things that hadn't really been done (or at least not often), like "Little Bird," "Wake the World," I think, and a couple others that hadn't really been a part of previous sets. Obviously, the classics are essential and are going to be part of every tour, every show. But 3-5 rarities would be a lot of fun. They don't even have to be Beach Boys tunes, there are plenty of solo songs that I think a lot of us would love to hear (again or for the first time).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »

That's the thing, even if it isn't an "album tour," there is always room for a handful of change-ups. The Jardine-Marks tour from a few years back--'12? '13? I saw it at the MN Zoo--had some great things that hadn't really been done (or at least not often), like "Little Bird," "Wake the World," I think, and a couple others that hadn't really been a part of previous sets. Obviously, the classics are essential and are going to be part of every tour, every show. But 3-5 rarities would be a lot of fun. They don't even have to be Beach Boys tunes, there are plenty of solo songs that I think a lot of us would love to hear (again or for the first time).

Still kicking myself for not going to that 2013 tour for missing a chance to hear Little Bird. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »

"Little Bird" was done on the "BAD" 2013 tour. "Wake the World" was debuted on the 2015 summer tour.

I think doing a group of rarities/deep cuts is the way to go, but ironically that probably can't happen so much until they go back to doing "regular" full-length shows that don't feature a full album.

With the PS shows (or a "Smile" show), there's little wiggle room in the setlist. The second set is the full album. The encore is pretty set in stone. Then you have 15 or so songs in the first set, which needs to include a number of the "core" meat and potatoes numbers like "California Girls", "Surfer Girl", a car song or two, etc.

But with no album taking up nearly half the show, there's more space to work with. But I just don't think we're ever going to get a massive overhaul of the setlist. Blondie has been touring regularly with the band for nearly two years now and they've done the same two songs with a third song usually being "Sail Away" other than the small number of shows that got "Funky Pretty."

The 2016 setlist arguably got *less* interesting as the tour progressed, and "Funky Pretty" and "Honkin' Down the Highway" were dropped. "Hushabye" only made it into like five or so shows. They dropped Blondie singing the bridge on "Surfer Girl" after a few nights. Even "Our Prayer" and "Heroes and Villains" were eventually dropped in favor of opening for the millionth time with "California Girls." The weird stuff from 2015 and 2016 like "Monster Mash", "Honeycomb", and "I'm Broke" were all blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

I loved the PS show I saw last year, I'm not trying to get on their case about it too much. But I still don't understand why they haven't just handed even 2 or 3 additional new songs to Al and Blondie, just to get something different like "Lookin' at Tomorrow" or "Don't Go Near the Water" or "Santa Ana Winds" or something.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2017, 09:22:11 AM »

OK, just checked the setlist.fm record of the show I saw, and the show included the following (sometimes semi-)rarities: "Girl Don't Tell Me," "Ol Man River," "Cotton Fields," "Little Bird," "Summertime Blues," "Your Imagination," "Goin Home," "TWGMTR," "California Saga: California," "Summer's Gone." (Not sure why I thought "Wake the World" was in there, but this is a good reason why nobody should ever trust me.)

But point being, it would not be so hard to do a similar handful in each non-full album tour. Sadly, HeyJude, you are right: the opposite has been happening.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »

I'd like a 50th anniversary Wild Honey celebration. Don't expect it tho, but I'd be a mighty happy camper if it happened (and willing to travel to see it).
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »

I'd like a 50th anniversary Wild Honey celebration. Don't expect it tho, but I'd be a mighty happy camper if it happened (and willing to travel to see it).

I could see them maybe taking a single night to do it, but certainly not multiple shows.
KDS
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2017, 10:30:21 AM »

"Little Bird" was done on the "BAD" 2013 tour. "Wake the World" was debuted on the 2015 summer tour.

I think doing a group of rarities/deep cuts is the way to go, but ironically that probably can't happen so much until they go back to doing "regular" full-length shows that don't feature a full album.

With the PS shows (or a "Smile" show), there's little wiggle room in the setlist. The second set is the full album. The encore is pretty set in stone. Then you have 15 or so songs in the first set, which needs to include a number of the "core" meat and potatoes numbers like "California Girls", "Surfer Girl", a car song or two, etc.

But with no album taking up nearly half the show, there's more space to work with. But I just don't think we're ever going to get a massive overhaul of the setlist. Blondie has been touring regularly with the band for nearly two years now and they've done the same two songs with a third song usually being "Sail Away" other than the small number of shows that got "Funky Pretty."

The 2016 setlist arguably got *less* interesting as the tour progressed, and "Funky Pretty" and "Honkin' Down the Highway" were dropped. "Hushabye" only made it into like five or so shows. They dropped Blondie singing the bridge on "Surfer Girl" after a few nights. Even "Our Prayer" and "Heroes and Villains" were eventually dropped in favor of opening for the millionth time with "California Girls." The weird stuff from 2015 and 2016 like "Monster Mash", "Honeycomb", and "I'm Broke" were all blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

I loved the PS show I saw last year, I'm not trying to get on their case about it too much. But I still don't understand why they haven't just handed even 2 or 3 additional new songs to Al and Blondie, just to get something different like "Lookin' at Tomorrow" or "Don't Go Near the Water" or "Santa Ana Winds" or something.

They threw in a snippet of River Deep Mountain High when I saw them in Baltimore.  Paul and Blondie traded vox on the "I love you baby like the......." bit.  It was at the beginning, right after California Girls.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »

OK, just checked the setlist.fm record of the show I saw, and the show included the following (sometimes semi-)rarities: "Girl Don't Tell Me," "Ol Man River," "Cotton Fields," "Little Bird," "Summertime Blues," "Your Imagination," "Goin Home," "TWGMTR," "California Saga: California," "Summer's Gone." (Not sure why I thought "Wake the World" was in there, but this is a good reason why nobody should ever trust me.)

But point being, it would not be so hard to do a similar handful in each non-full album tour. Sadly, HeyJude, you are right: the opposite has been happening.

You were able to see one of the very few full-length shows the Brian/Al/Dave lineup did. They only did that little run of shows earlier in 2013, 6 shows as I recall, and then on the Beck tour later in the year the shows were drastically shortened. So those early 2013 shows did have some more weird inclusions, including one of the few times Al has been with Brian when Brian did solo stuff like "Goin' Home" and "Your Imagination." Those were also the only shows where Brian did any TWGMTR tracks.

I recall those few 2013 full-length dates weaved in a few other rare songs at one point or another, including "This Car of Mine", "Custom Machine", "Let Him Run Wild", "Break Away", and Dave singing "Forever."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:27:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »

A SMiLE mini-set after the PS songs would work for me this year.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2017, 06:34:57 AM »

New date: August 3, in Glasgow, Scotland, Kelvingrove Park

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15089895.Brian_Wilson_and_Pixies_among_headliners_for_Kelvingrove_Park_music_festival/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2017, 07:30:52 AM »

Pet Sounds will be 60 by the time this tour is over.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »

And thus begins that anniversary tour!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »

Another new one, from the BW message board:

June 29, Odense, Denmark at the Odean
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »

And thus begins that anniversary tour!

Let's not forget March 26 will be the first anniversary of the beginning of 50th anniversary.  Roll Eyes
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2017, 11:59:45 PM »

This NEEDS to happen! Would be amazing to hear those songs played on the natural instruments instead of synths. I say keep the tracks mostly in the order of the album, but kickoff with Night Time, fake ending with Rio Grande (how can you top that? you can't; so the band leaves the stage, and encores with Love and Mercy).
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2017, 05:20:11 AM »

Dates in Frankfurt (July 19th) Dublin (July 25th) and Finland (July 13th) have also been added.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:24:16 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx