gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 08:03:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In appreciation of: "Wouldn't It Be Nice"  (Read 2992 times)
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »

Some time ago, a fellow music nut told me he'd joined some kind of CD-R trading club. They would periodically decide on some kind of theme, and everyone would compile a mix CD accordingly, and forward copies to the other group members.

One of the themes, as I recall, was autobiography in music: selecting favorite or otherwise extraordinarily significant songs from various periods in your life. My friend, typically, abandoned all restraint and produced an epic three-disc collection, almost certainly after several hours of reflection, diary review, and combing through a vast and probably fairly disorganized CD collection.

I was never a member of this or any other similar club, but I briefly considered compiling my own autobiographical CD (or iTunes playlist, at least) anyway. I’m not sure why but I never did; I started the project in my head but I didn’t really get past that stage. Maybe what stopped me were the periods of my life that I prefer not to think about or have to relive, particularly through music, which as I'm sure most of us realize can be incredibly evocative of particular places, periods of time, and associated feelings. (The Blue Nile's Hats is an amazing album, but I can never really listen to it anymore. The time in my life when I discovered that album and listened to it the most is one that stirs up uncomfortable and painful memories in me, and most of the time I’d just rather not go there.)

The first song that would have to be included on any such CD or playlist for me is one that I know I’ve been hearing all my life, that I always remember loving, that conjures up both a feeling of innocence and the impending loss of same in a bittersweet blend, that simply through its sonics can still put a silly grin on my face after all these years. That song, of course, is "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from Pet Sounds, which is (possibly) my favorite album of all time, by (possibly) my favorite musical act of all time. It's very possibly my favorite song of all time.

I have no idea when I first heard the song, but I had to be very young; I was a child of the 1970s and the song was easy to hear on the radio then. My parents also had a copy of Pet Sounds in their LP collection, though I remember them steering me more toward Shut Down Volume 2 (which includes "Don't Worry Baby," another automatic inclusion on my autobiographical CD) and Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!), implying that there was something atypical, maybe even unsatisfying, about Pet Sounds. I did listen to those other albums, and I liked them (though to this day I can’t understand the wild popularity of "California Girls"; after its intro it sorta goes downhill for me). But at some point Pet Sounds just clicked with me. I really got the album, or at least I felt I did, and by the time I was in high school it was already my favorite album and I was writing letters to Capitol Records asking them when the heck it would show up on CD.

I have a number of happy memories of listening to "Wouldn't It Be Nice." I remember being 16 years old and having my first car, and basking in sunshine and freedom while listening to the song on my tape deck (the song, of course, was a star inclusion on many mix tapes, probably dubbed from the Sunshine Dream LP compilation). I remember being 18 years old and buying the first CD issue of Pet Sounds (complete with beautiful longbox) at the Music Fair or Listening Booth or Wall or whatever the record store in the local mall was called then, and rushing home to hear it, at long last, free of any ticks and pops and vinyl noise (all things I've almost come to love these days, but that's another subject). I remember being 24 and hearing the song in stereo for the first time, an experience which almost brought tears to my eyes.

I've always been hesitant to analyze the song very closely. Listening to it brings the most pleasure to me when the experience is untouched by the intellect. (I’ve only learned to play the song on the piano relatively recently, and knowing, for example, that most of the song is in the key of F major seems far too mundane an idea to apply to this magical creation.) Brian Wilson has said that one major intention behind his music is to deliver love to people (that may sound corny, but wow, just listen to his best music), and I believe he succeeded immeasurably with "Wouldn't It Be Nice." There’s something unique about the sound of his voice on this song; he sang many, many memorable and beautiful vocal parts with the Beach Boys during the 1960s, but I don't think any of them, not even those on the rest of Pet Sounds, sound quite like this one. And when the rest of the Beach Boys join in as the second verse takes off, I'm gone, capable of swooning like I do in response to no other recording I've yet heard.

The instrumental tracks astound as well. The components of the song available on the Pet Sounds Sessions boxed set (if only I'd known that was coming back in 1987) reveal amazing layers of sounds; there's no way I would have guessed as a child that there were freakin' accordions on this song. But listening to the stereo backing track, you're made to realize that they're an integral part of the song's appeal. (Accordions used to bring to mind "Weird Al" Yankovic or maybe parts of Graceland; now they make me think of Pet Sounds.)

What brought all these thoughts and feelings about this song back to my mind over the past few days was the intense elation I felt one day last week when I was driving home with my windows down on a very pleasant day, and the song came on in "shuffle" mode on my iPod. I'm in the midst of an indie-rock phase right now, and I've generally been staying away from any music that was made prior to 1980. But "Wouldn't It Be Nice" cut right through all of that, and I cranked it up and that transition into the second verse delivered the goods to me like it has done so many times before. It was the stereo version from the "40th Anniversary" edition of Pet Sounds I was hearing, and I was very pleased to finally have a stereo version that featured Mike Love singing on the song’s bridge, just like the mono original. That said, I still have to give the nod in the end to the original mono version, though I’m not sure if that's because it's actually superior or because it's the one I first fell in love with.

In fact … let's not even analyze it!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:10:54 PM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:54:14 AM »

You know, I've read numerous personal testimonies about Beach Boys music, and I have to say that this is the best piece I've ever read about it, probably because your feelings about this song mirror my own.

The first song that would have to be included on any such CD or playlist for me is one that I know I’ve been hearing all my life, that I always remember loving, that conjures up both a feeling of innocence and the impending loss of same in a bittersweet blend, that simply through its sonics can still put a silly grin on my face after all these years. That song, of course, is "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from Pet Sounds, which is (possibly) my favorite album of all time, by (possibly) my favorite musical act of all time. It's very possibly my favorite song of all time.

Mine too. My very favorite song off all time, by my favorite band of all time, on my favorite album of  all time. Unlike you, though, I haven't heard it all my life, only from the past 9 years or so, which is when I became a Beach Boys fanatic. It's because of this song that I became a fan to begin with.

I've always been hesitant to analyze the song very closely. Listening to it brings the most pleasure to me when the experience is untouched by the intellect. (I’ve only learned to play the song on the piano relatively recently, and knowing, for example, that most of the song is in the key of F major seems far too mundane an idea to apply to this magical creation.) Brian Wilson has said that one major intention behind his music is to deliver love to people (that may sound corny, but wow, just listen to his best music), and I believe he succeeded immeasurably with "Wouldn't It Be Nice." There’s something unique about the sound of his voice on this song; he sang many, many memorable and beautiful vocal parts with the Beach Boys during the 1960s, but I don't think any of them, not even those on the rest of Pet Sounds, sound quite like this one. And when the rest of the Beach Boys join in as the second verse takes off, I'm gone, capable of swooning like I do in response to no other recording I've yet heard.

I agree. The whole song makes me swoon, but I think the biggest part may be the bridge and Brian singing "oh we could be married", etc. The way he sings it, the longing and hope there I'm addicted to, I draw my own hope and optimism from that.

An interesting thing to me, is that 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' is my #1 favorite song, and Bob Seger's 'Against The Wind' is #2 on the list. 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' represents a bright, sunny outlook, again, a hopeful feeling for the future. 'Against The Wind' meanwhile is reflective, looking back to the past with regret. I think those two songs (along with my 3rd favorite song, the introspective 'Strawberry Fields Forever') are the two parts of me. Still, I am a little more in character like 'Against The Wind'; pensive, wandering, looking over my shoulder constantly. That's more of who I actually am right now and have been for years. Also, unlike 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', I've heard 'Against The Wind' since childhood, literally as long as I can remember. I think that if 'Against The Wind' represents who I am now, 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' represents what and where I want to be, eventually. And I much prefer that future to now, really. I wonder if there will ever be a day when, years down the road and I'm married, settled and doing what I love for a living, will 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' still be #1, still mean as much? It'll always be way in the back of my mind.

Thank you, Vega-Table man, for you thoughts on our favorite songs, and for making me think.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:38 PM »

I'm in the midst of an indie-rock phase right now, and I've generally been staying away from any music that was made prior to 1980. But "Wouldn't It Be Nice" cut right through all of that, and I cranked it up and that transition into the second verse delivered the goods to me like it has done so many times before. It was the stereo version from the "40th Anniversary" edition of Pet Sounds I was hearing,

At work I traded a BB instrumental CD I made for a CD by Panda Bear. I think the name of the CD was Person Pitch. On the CD I traded I used every instr. song from Pet Sounds, GV's, and many other tunes. I tell you, the music Brian made back then is light years ahead of anything I hear in the Indie sector or any other sector of the music biz. I say this being as objective as possible....if that is possible. Regardless, my friend says he thinks of the BB's in a new light after hearing the inst. versions.

WIBN is so fragile a tune, it could collapse at any time under the weight of all the instruments. Brian being the man, knew how to keep it together. Add in those vox- perfection.

I would've loved to be in the studio during the final take of this song to hear how it really sounded...
dsl
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:36:03 PM »

I could not read that without posting a response. It was wonderfully written. I could never write something like that for my blog.

Anyway, it's not as special a song to me as Beatles numbers, mainly because that is what's been in my life since the beginning. I can't remember the first time I heard "Wouldn't It Be Nice", but I remember always thinking that it wasn't anything special. You see, growing up on a random hits compilation ('95's Vol.1, I think), I always thought of it as just a standard Beach Boy track. Now, hearing it at it's rightful place, as the intro to the greatest album ever recorded, I completely understand how important it can be to life-long BB fans. It's simply a piece of magic. That intro and the lyrics! My god, if that doesn't shake you, what will? I like to think that everyone sheds a tear when listening to "GOK" and I think everyone should love "WIBN".

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:46:55 AM »

Thanks everybody ... It's great to be able to share these kinds of thoughts with people who can relate.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »

YEP..You convey your thoughts well..Well written from the heart.. I remember when it first came out..Pet Sounds.. I loved the record but some songs i didnt understand.. Wasnt old enough to relate.. But i kept playing it.. I do remember that i avoided the 2 instrumentals  + Dont Talk + IJWMFTT.....Remember Im in Junior high school..The rest was great..!!!.. Grew to love the rest later.. In fact.. I REALLY grew to love the instrumentals. When i saw them performed LIVE...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..
My favorite on the lp is You Still Believe in me...Spiritual song..The lyrics convey feelings that could be expressed to a girl or GOD.. Touches my heart DEEP...!!...I Think... People that are emotional..heartfelt.. tender..Open minded GET..Pet Sounds.. And we know most of the world isnt like that.. An lp like Pet Sounds gives me hope for a better world.. You have to have deep feelings to REALLY understand ..Pet Sounds....IMHO...
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »

My favorite on the lp is You Still Believe in me...Spiritual song..The lyrics convey feelings that could be expressed to a girl or GOD.. Touches my heart DEEP...!!...I Think... People that are emotional..heartfelt.. tender..Open minded GET..Pet Sounds.. And we know most of the world isnt like that.... You have to have deep feelings to REALLY understand ..Pet Sounds....IMHO...

Right on, dude. I was 12 I think when my mother bought PS on cassette for me and I remember just being dumdfounded at YSBIM. Unreal song, and you described it perfectly in saying it could be about a girl or God. I often feel the song being sung to a merciful God who still believes and loves a sinner such as myself. YSBIM is one of the most underrated songs not just in the BB catalogue but in the entire realm of music.

Also, one really has to have those deep feelings and not be afraid to embrace them in order to GET Pet Sounds, IMO.  Rock!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »

Thank you noname for the positive vibes...!!!.. Nothin wrong with wearin your heart on your sleeve.....The best music comes from the heart with no $$ considerations...IMHO
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 05:09:48 AM »

Pet Sounds "I Know There's an Answer" can't be to shabby when you have a bass harmonica doing the solo break
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 06:55:35 AM »

Your so right..!! And BW is the ONLY person that has recorded with accordions that i like.. I hate that instrument....LOL..!! LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx