gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:33:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is JUST a Fact Finding Mission. Commentary is really NOT required.  (Read 2367 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »

Although... ... ...It'll, no doubt, happen.

I some way shape or form...the current 'touring' Beach Boys have been with the Beach Boys...or some segment of the original Beach Boys 'bands' since...  Mike is easy.  1961.  Bruce...1965.  [over 50 years with some time off]   Jeff...He's been around with the BBs/Brian/BBs for what?  35ish years?  Scott?  John?  Brian?  Weeks?  Months?

Is there anybody else?  How long have these guys been 'in' The Beach Boys band/contributing?   Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »

Jeff toured with Mike Love in support of Looking Back With Love (with Randell Kirsch as well, I believe) in 1981. His first gig with The Beach Boys was in late December 1981, when they played Sun City, replacing Ed Carter on lead guitar and Adrian Baker on falsetto (thank god). He stayed there until sometime in 1990, when they kicked him out for having an affair. Then he came back with Brian at the start of his solo tour in 1999, and stayed there until the Beck tour ended in 2013. He guested at the Mike's Ella award ceremony and then joined Mike and Bruce a few months later.

Scott subbed for Adrian Baker for a few shows in December 2000, and then replaced Phil Bardowell for good after the 4th of July 2001.

John also subbed sometime in December 2000, iirc. He played percussion and sang falsetto while Scott took Adrian's guitar parts. He also joined after the 4th of July 2001, becoming the secondary keyboard player after Mike Meros left and Tim Bonhomme moved to primary keys. He'd also play percussion and occasionally sub in on drums. He even played rhythm guitar for a while when Adrian Baker needed to leave for a few days, with Gary Griffin subbing in on keys. In 2007 Mike Kowalski finally left and John became the full-time drummer, much to the improvement of the band.

Brian's first gig with BW was on October 9 2014, replacing Chad Odhner of the Fendertones after Matt Jardine left after the 4th of July dates in Ireland. He stayed with Brian through the soundstage show, when Matt rejoined. I'm not sure if Brian was on any of the early 2014 television appearances, but by the first full gig of the year, he was out and Matt was back in. Brian replaced Randell Kirsch on bass with M&B sometime in April, and by the May UK tour, he was already taking a large part of the falsetto parts from Jeff Foskett.

Tim Bonhomme, who you didn't mention, joined the band full-time in 1996 after Billy Hinsche left. Then was when Carl and Al were still in the band, and he's been there ever since. I believe he also was at a few gigs prior to this, in 1993 or 1994. C-man would doubtlessly know more than I do about this.  LOL

All of them have a history with the band, and are the best the touring band has sounded since Carl was alive, excluding C50, of course.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »

GREAT info.  Thanks a TON.  I'll need all of this as I now spend time daily promoting the upcomimg August 8th show locally.  I want people here to know when they do a 'meet and greet' that they'll be meeting more than Mike and Bruce and some 'fill in' guys they picked up for the summer.  I mean really.  I'm just as pumped, given the past 15 years, to meet  Jeff.  And the other guys are no slouches either.

Starting Friday...for 9 straight days...'The Old Codger's Double Shot' will feature 2 live Beach Boys tunes back to back.  The first from '72/'73 and the 2nd from the 50th anniversary disc.  Since Monday May 24...I've run these files [or Brian Files] every Monday to promote The Beach Boys here in August and Brian in Detroit a couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:13:30 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »

If anyone can add to or otherwise improve on this list, I'd be mighty grateful:

Ron Brown (perc) - 1967
Daryl Dragon (keys) 1967-72
Ed Carter (bass/guitar) - 1967-81, 1983-95
Mike Kowalski (drums/perc) - 1968-73, 1977, 1981-2007
Dennis Dragon (drums/perc) - 1971-72
Joel Peskin (sax) - 1971
Billy Hinsche (guitar/keys) - 1971-95
Bobby Torres (perc) - 1971
Toni Tenille (keys) - 1972-73
Charles Lloyd (flute/sax) - 1972, 1975-78
Carli Munoz (keys) - 1973-79
Robert Kenyatta (woodwinds) - 1973
Putter Smith (bass) - 1973
Bobby Figueroa (drums/perc) - 1974-81, 1983-87
Ron Altbach (keys) - 1973-77
James Guercio (bass) - 1974-75
Elmo Peeler (keys) - 1975-78
Gary Griffin (keys) - 1977
Sterling Smith (keys) - 1978
Phil Shenale (keys) - 1978
Mike Meros (keys) - 1979-2001
Tony Leo (keys) - 1979
Joe Chemay (bass) - 1980
Ernie Knapp (bass) - 1981-82
Adrian Baker (guitar) - 1981-82, 1990-92, 1998-2004
Jeff Foskett (guitar) - 1981-1991
Matt Jardine (perc) - 1987-1998
John Stamos (drums/guitar/pita) - 1985, 1988, 1990, 1992-95, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008-11
Richie Cannata (sax) - 1991-98
Tim Bonhomme (keys) - 1993-2011
Phil Bardowell  (keys) - 1993, 1997-2001
Chris Farmer (guitar) - 1996-2007
John Cowsill (keys/drums) - 2000-11
Scott Totten (guitar) - 2000-11
Randell Kirsch (bass) - 2002, 2004-11
Christian Love (guitar) - 2006-11

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »

I did the meet and greet last year at Jones Beach, and it was just Mike, Bruce and David. Are the other guys in the band participating in the meet and greets now too?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »

Doubtful...But really?  They should be included.  Scott's the musical director no?  Jeff's been around for close to forever.  The Cowsills?  I mean hello!!!  Make it bigger.  Not smaller.  Who in that contigent doesn't contribute?  Leave HIM out?  Otherwise...They're The Beach Boys.

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:15 PM »

I certainly think they should all be included, and I hope that they are now. I have much respect for every one of them.

Pretty cool that you promote the Beach Boys and Brian so much. I wish more DJs around where I live would do the same, spread the word and more importantly, spread the music. Because it is some of the greatest music ever created.

Now I'm getting into commentary territory, so I'll bow out of this thread. I really admire what you're doing though.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 06:47:39 AM »

The reason they don’t include all of the backing and guys in the meet-and-greets would seem to be any or all of the following:

1. They’d probably have to pay the other guys a little more.
2. They need that time to prep for the show (especially the musical director).
3. If the M&G all of a sudden includes 7 guys instead of 2, it will take WAY longer to do.
4. Only some superfans really have a burning desire to get photos and autographs from the backing guys, and, unfortunately, while some VIP packages are of course purchased by superfans, a shocking number of them aren’t.

I’m guessing #3 above is the main reason it would never happen.

As for the tenures of these guys, Foskett has clocked, by my estimation about 24 years in the BB universe, and about 9 ½ with the actual touring “Beach Boys.” He spent about 8 ½ years in the touring BB’s from late December 1981 through July 4, 1990. Then 14 ½ years, March 1999 through October 2013, in Brian’s band, and then some point around May or June or so of last year re-starting with Mike’s band.

Foskett also did spend some time touring with various off-shoot gigs with Mike, though most of those took place during his BB tenure. His pre-BB gigs with Mike were pretty sporadic. I don’t think Mike did a ton of solo “Looking Back with Love” gigs in 1981. 

Also, referring to Eichenberger as mentioned above, he did do a TV appearance in early 2015 with Brian, actually mere weeks before Kirsche was axed and replaced with Eichenberger in Mike’s band. It matters not one bit in the grand scheme of things, but I’ve been curious to know if Brian’s organization knew Eichenberger was joining Mike’s band at the time he did that last TV show with Brian.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:49:25 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »

FWIW, according to Foskett himself, not only was he kicked out because he seemingly showed up to every gig with a different woman on his arm, but also he had an ego the size of Texas (my words, not his) that the other guys didn't like. For these reasons, Carl asked him to leave.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx