gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 06:38:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: '72 Smile  (Read 21898 times)
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 02:11:29 AM »

As you can see from the above, no-one would've been satisfied. Even without the whiners, look at this board and see how many people would drop tracks from this album or that one, knowing that there were others recorded at the time that could be used as replacements.  And when that wasn't the case, who cares?  Take a track from another album! Then you take SMiLE with the knowledge of all those variations recorded.  Do you really think people would've accepted it as the last word?  Not even for a 66 version. Not for a minute.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:30:46 AM by salman rushdie » Logged

Honk! Honk!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 02:32:23 AM »

As you can see from the above, no-one would've been satisfied. Even without the whiners, look at this board and see how many people would drop tracks from this album or that one, knowing that there were others reciorded at the time that could be used as replacements.  And when that wasn't the case, who cares?  Take a track from another album! Then you take SMiLE with the knowledge of all those variations recorded.  Do you really think people would've accepted it as the last word?  Not even for a 66 version. Not for a minute.

Wow, that's an excellent point actually.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 02:37:48 AM »

As you can see from the above, no-one would've been satisfied. Even without the whiners, look at this board and see how many people would drop tracks from this album or that one, knowing that there were others reciorded at the time that could be used as replacements.  And when that wasn't the case, who cares?  Take a track from another album! Then you take SMiLE with the knowledge of all those variations recorded.  Do you really think people would've accepted it as the last word?  Not even for a 66 version. Not for a minute.

Wow, that's an excellent point actually.

Y'r right… if SMiLE had come out in '67, folk would have said it didn't match the envisaged '66 version. Only then there were no message boards, so we'd all have had to form our own opinions, based on what the music press was saying.

“We live in divisive times.”
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 03:01:29 AM »

I think that even by 1968 the music scene had changed too much for Smile to really work. The psychedelic movement hit its highmark in the summer of 1967 and that's when the competition for Smile would have been strongest. I really do believe that a Smile after 1967 would sound very out of place and out of context. Especially if it showed up in mono! Still Smile '72 is a tantalizing idea...
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »

Since it didn't come out in '66 or '67, when it could have made a difference in that fertile time of change, Smile eventually became the totality of the sessions from that era.  It became an idea bigger than what could ever fit onto a 45-minute album.  It even became, in a way, the modular concept itself, which vanishes as soon as it's locked into an album sequence.

I do accept BWPS as final in its own way, but not in an exclusive way.  It was finished by Brian and Van Dyke Parks, which is all the legitimacy it needs for me.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 06:57:53 AM »

Since it didn't come out in '66 or '67, when it could have made a difference in that fertile time of change, Smile eventually became the totality of the sessions from that era.  It became an idea bigger than what could ever fit onto a 45-minute album.  It even became, in a way, the modular concept itself, which vanishes as soon as it's locked into an album sequence.

I do accept BWPS as final in its own way, but not in an exclusive way.  It was finished by Brian and Van Dyke Parks, which is all the legitimacy it needs for me.

Yes. Precisely said and quite right too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »

Brian's "right to do with it whatever he wants to" isn't the issue. It's WHAT HE DID WITH IT that I have problems with. But, some don't and I'm glad they enjoy it.

That's totally fair. I am wondering what he did with it tht you feel he should have done differently, though - not to argue against it, just curious to hear why.

I'll preface my answer by saying again that I had few problems with the live presentation of BWPS. I mean, what BB/BW diehard wouldn't want to hear/see Brian and his band perform the SMiLE songs. It covered a lot of bases. It was daring, ambitious, giving people their money's worth, giving some people what they want(ed), and it was done well. And, it gave Brian's wifeandmanagers another way to get some publicity, sell tickets, and extend a solo career. But that's another story.

I'll also say again that this is just one man's opinion. I'm in the minority (not that I care) and I've come to realize that a lot of people enjoy the album. And, it's not a matter of what I feel he should have done differently, it's SIMPLY what I didn't care for.

- Brian Wilson's vocals in 2004 were substantially inferior to the 1966-67 vocals and didn't do the SMiLE songs justice.

- I do not like the way the songs are linked together. I prefer fades, especially on "Do You Like Worms", "Cabinessence", and "Surf's Up". The way the BWPS songs keep coming at you, without a break in between songs, is very uncomfortable. I need to come up for a breath.

- While I actually like most of the sequencing, I do not like "Good Vibrations" ENDING the album. I know why it was done - it was the best "closer" for a live presentation. I don't think the song works well as a closer for the album.

- And, the "Good Vibrations" issue is the crux of my problems with BWPS. They simply took the live presentation, note for note, recorded it, and called SMiLE finished. It was marketed that way; Brian repeated it over and over in his interviews - "We finished it..." That's when the project lost all credibility with me. How could something that was put together exclusively for a live concert turn into the "finished SMiLE"?

Well, not for me. The Brian Wilson of 2004 wasn't capable of finishing SMiLE for reasons I don't have the energy to get into now. There are many other reasons SMiLE couldn't then - or ever - be finished. So, don't tell me that the 2004 BWPS was the finished SMiLE, that Brian and Van Dyke Parks and Darian Sahanaja fiinished it. They tried to sell the public on that and it worked to a large extent. It sold some records, sold out some concerts, and got Brian a Grammy. So, ultimately, they succeeded in what they set out to do. But, the selling of BWPS as Brian finishing it and exorcising demons really turns me off.

It insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry.  Grin
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 07:43:44 AM »

Brian's "right to do with it whatever he wants to" isn't the issue. It's WHAT HE DID WITH IT that I have problems with. But, some don't and I'm glad they enjoy it.

That's totally fair. I am wondering what he did with it tht you feel he should have done differently, though - not to argue against it, just curious to hear why.

I'll preface my answer by saying again that I had few problems with the live presentation of BWPS. I mean, what BB/BW diehard wouldn't want to hear/see Brian and his band perform the SMiLE songs. It covered a lot of bases. It was daring, ambitious, giving people their money's worth, giving some people what they want(ed), and it was done well. And, it gave Brian's wifeandmanagers another way to get some publicity, sell tickets, and extend a solo career. But that's another story.

I'll also say again that this is just one man's opinion. I'm in the minority (not that I care) and I've come to realize that a lot of people enjoy the album. And, it's not a matter of what I feel he should have done differently, it's SIMPLY what I didn't care for.

- Brian Wilson's vocals in 2004 were substantially inferior to the 1966-67 vocals and didn't do the SMiLE songs justice.

- I do not like the way the songs are linked together. I prefer fades, especially on "Do You Like Worms", "Cabinessence", and "Surf's Up". The way the BWPS songs keep coming at you, without a break in between songs, is very uncomfortable. I need to come up for a breath.

- While I actually like most of the sequencing, I do not like "Good Vibrations" ENDING the album. I know why it was done - it was the best "closer" for a live presentation. I don't think the song works well as a closer for the album.

- And, the "Good Vibrations" issue is the crux of my problems with BWPS. They simply took the live presentation, note for note, recorded it, and called SMiLE finished. It was marketed that way; Brian repeated it over and over in his interviews - "We finished it..." That's when the project lost all credibility with me. How could something that was put together exclusively for a live concert turn into the "finished SMiLE"?

Well, not for me. The Brian Wilson of 2004 wasn't capable of finishing SMiLE for reasons I don't have the energy to get into now. There are many other reasons SMiLE couldn't then - or ever - be finished. So, don't tell me that the 2004 BWPS was the finished SMiLE, that Brian and Van Dyke Parks and Darian Sahanaja fiinished it. They tried to sell the public on that and it worked to a large extent. It sold some records, sold out some concerts, and got Brian a Grammy. So, ultimately, they succeeded in what they set out to do. But, the selling of BWPS as Brian finishing it and exorcising demons really turns me off.

But this is why it's called Brian Wilson Presents Smile.  It's not Smile, just like Smiley Smile isn't Smile and The Smile Sessions isn't Smile.  This is why they have different titles.  You're judging BWPS for being something it's not trying to be, just like all the Smiley haters bemoan that it's not Smile as if it was ever presented as Smile.  BWPS is a totally different experience if accepted as its own piece instead of a substitute for whatever the Beach Boys' Smile would have been.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »

But this is why it's called Brian Wilson Presents Smile.  It's not Smile, just like Smiley Smile isn't Smile and The Smile Sessions isn't Smile.  This is why they have different titles.  You're judging BWPS for being something it's not trying to be, just like all the Smiley haters bemoan that it's not Smile as if it was ever presented as Smile.  BWPS is a totally different experience if accepted as its own piece instead of a substitute for whatever the Beach Boys' Smile would have been.

Demon, were you a fan in 2004? Did you follow BWPS in the media? Brian did extensive interviewing in print and on TV. Yes, of course his answers were scripted. In each interview he basically said the same thing. But....

Brian WAS promoting BWPS as the finished Smile, not as a substitute. He said - and I'm NOT paraphrasing, I'm quoting - "We finished it", "The public wasn't ready for it in 1966 but now they are", "My wife and managers asked me to FINISH it", "We added a third movement and finished it", "It took 37 years but we finally finished it".

Brian ignored all of the other previously recorded SMiLE tracks that were released for decades, including the nearly half an hour of tracks on the 1992 box set. Actually, Brian said barely anything about his vision for the 1966-67 SMiLE songs. It's like they didn't even exist. And, to be clear, he was talking about BWPS the album, not the live performance.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »

The whole BWPS "we finished it and the album is better than the 1966 version" was very annoying to me.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »

I think that even by 1968 the music scene had changed too much for Smile to really work. The psychedelic movement hit its highmark in the summer of 1967 and that's when the competition for Smile would have been strongest. I really do believe that a Smile after 1967 would sound very out of place and out of context. Especially if it showed up in mono! Still Smile '72 is a tantalizing idea...

That raises a question as to whether or not a '72 SMiLE would've been in stereo or mono.  For it to be in stereo, the Boys would've had to do a LOT of re-recording.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »

Demon, were you a fan in 2004? Did you follow BWPS in the media? Brian did extensive interviewing in print and on TV. Yes, of course his answers were scripted. In each interview he basically said the same thing. But....

Brian WAS promoting BWPS as the finished Smile, not as a substitute. He said - and I'm NOT paraphrasing, I'm quoting - "We finished it", "The public wasn't ready for it in 1966 but now they are", "My wife and managers asked me to FINISH it", "We added a third movement and finished it", "It took 37 years but we finally finished it".

Brian ignored all of the other previously recorded SMiLE tracks that were released for decades, including the nearly half an hour of tracks on the 1992 box set. Actually, Brian said barely anything about his vision for the 1966-67 SMiLE songs. It's like they didn't even exist. And, to be clear, he was talking about BWPS the album, not the live performance.

All fact.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 09:10:14 AM »

Is there a statutory time limit on how long it may take for a piece of art to be completed and anything that goes beyond that timeframe is considered invalid?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »

Agree with AGD and on many points from Mr. Stone.  Even the recent Smile release isn't the definitive Smile (But probably the closest as Brian envisioned it). There isn't one because the original never came out, so everything else is just specualation. Even the stereo mixes of songs aren't what Brian originaly envisioned, even though some of us like them better. Soooooo........... Smile ends up being whatever you want it to be!

I have a live show somewhere, I think from 1971(?) where Mike announces the probable release of Smile the following year. That little excerpt is on the Endless Harmony CD.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »

My big thing has always been that after '67, the "real" Smile (that may have only existed in Brian's mind, in a fleeting manner at that) was no longer possible because even just 5 years later, Brian wasn't the same guy anymore.  His confidence and inspiration were gone, and it wouldn't have been the same album.  Once the moment passed, there was no way to get it back, even if he'd returned to the project and finished in, say, 1968.

The same point holds true for BWPS - I hold the same opinion as Sheriff that it should have stayed a live performance piece.  As Andrew said, it's a Smile, not the Smile, and I don't think they should have presented it as the latter.  Even Brian himself says it turned out a lot different than it would have been in '66-'67, and for me, that takes away some (but not all) legitimacy.

I realize there's a fundamental disconnect between what I just said and what I'm about to say, but I do respect Brian's right to do what he wants with his own creation.  He's certainly earned that right.  BWPS did a lot for his confidence and personal happiness it seems, brought new fans to Brian and the Boys, and obviously a lot of people truly love the live version as well as the studio recording.  I don't begrudge anybody's opinions.  BWPS, the studio album, just doesn't work for me I guess.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »

My big thing has always been that after '67, the "real" Smile (that may have only existed in Brian's mind, in a fleeting manner at that) was no longer possible because even just 5 years later, Brian wasn't the same guy anymore.  His confidence and inspiration were gone, and it wouldn't have been the same album.  Once the moment passed, there was no way to get it back, even if he'd returned to the project and finished in, say, 1968.

Right arm, Chris.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »

BWPS is a Smile, just as CD1 of TSS is a Smile... but neither of them are THE Smile. No such thing ever existed beond the confines of Brian's imagination.

But would Brian himself agree with that?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »

BWPS is a Smile, just as CD1 of TSS is a Smile... but neither of them are THE Smile. No such thing ever existed beond the confines of Brian's imagination.

But would Brian himself agree with that?

It depends. What day of the week is it?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »

The same point holds true for BWPS - I hold the same opinion as Sheriff that it should have stayed a live performance piece.  As Andrew said, it's a Smile, not the Smile, and I don't think they should have presented it as the latter.  Even Brian himself says it turned out a lot different than it would have been in '66-'67, and for me, that takes away some (but not all) legitimacy.

I realize there's a fundamental disconnect between what I just said and what I'm about to say, but I do respect Brian's right to do what he wants with his own creation.  He's certainly earned that right.  BWPS did a lot for his confidence and personal happiness it seems, brought new fans to Brian and the Boys, and obviously a lot of people truly love the live version as well as the studio recording.  I don't begrudge anybody's opinions.  BWPS, the studio album, just doesn't work for me I guess.

I have to disagree with this completely. I know that he got through it and it probably made him a lot more secure (or did it?), but you can tell from the footage of Beautiful Dreamer that he totally didn't want to go "there". You see that footage in his house where they're rehearsing and Brian can't even open his eyes and looks to be in extreme mental anguish??? I'd bet he didn't put himself into that situation willingly - more like complied with what his wife/manager thought would be good for him. What's even worse is the freakout he had (not documented in Beautful Dreamer), where he claimed he still had acid left in his brain (he was alone with Darian IIRC). Of course I am a total outsider but it seems that Brian is pushed into a lot of things he doesn't want to do, but he gets through them as best he can. That doesn't mean he's happy doing them.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

If we can't define what the "real" SMiLe is how can we be sure that BWPS is not the "real" SMiLE.  In my mind it is as close as we can get.  VDP's presence helps.  Could the 1972 SMiLE have been SMiLE without VDP there to help finish it?

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »

My big thing has always been that after '67, the "real" Smile (that may have only existed in Brian's mind, in a fleeting manner at that) was no longer possible because even just 5 years later, Brian wasn't the same guy anymore.  

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »

I have to disagree with this completely. I know that he got through it and it probably made him a lot more secure (or did it?), but you can tell from the footage of Beautiful Dreamer that he totally didn't want to go "there". You see that footage in his house where they're rehearsing and Brian can't even open his eyes and looks to be in extreme mental anguish??? I'd bet he didn't put himself into that situation willingly - more like complied with what his wife/manager thought would be good for him. What's even worse is the freakout he had (not documented in Beautful Dreamer), where he claimed he still had acid left in his brain (he was alone with Darian IIRC). Of course I am a total outsider but it seems that Brian is pushed into a lot of things he doesn't want to do, but he gets through them as best he can. That doesn't mean he's happy doing them.

It is circumstances like these that make me doubt the legitimacy of BWPS everytime.  Darian found interesting ways of piecing all the feels together, along with the orchestral transitions, and I will always be indebted to Darian for his part in bringing this music to a wider audience, but Smile is still Brian's baby, the height of his genius.  He could have never released it and it would be the ultimate musical puzzle (it still is) for future generations.

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »

My big thing has always been that after '67, the "real" Smile (that may have only existed in Brian's mind, in a fleeting manner at that) was no longer possible because even just 5 years later, Brian wasn't the same guy anymore.  

LOL  LOL  LOL

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »

I didn't mean to imply that he was necessarily happy throughout the process - I was speaking more to his state of mind after BWPS was behind him.  Many of those around him noted that it seemed like after the tour and studio album, a weight had been lifted from his shoulders.  I do believe that the project restored some of his confidence, hence the more frequent concert tours and studio albums post-BWPS as compared to the time pre-BWPS.  I'm not sure we would have had an album like That Lucky Old Sun had it not been for the completion of BWPS.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »

What's even worse is the freakout he had (not documented in Beautful Dreamer), where he claimed he still had acid left in his brain (he was alone with Darian IIRC).

wat Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx