gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680928 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 05:53:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very worst Beach Boys related 'song' ever released  (Read 68612 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #375 on: January 12, 2014, 04:31:11 AM »

Wrinkles is a classic and it is soon to be released on a compilation along with Old Shep, Jeff Carson's Real Life, Gary Allen's Tough Little Boys and several others. The comp is up for pre-release on Amazon and is titled, 'Dead Good Dead Dog Songs'. Catchy title.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #376 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »

Make It Good
TM Song
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
SOLAR SYSTEM*
Love Is a Woman
Why Won't Someone Dance With Me
Winds of Change
When Girls Get Together
Passing Friend
Maybe I Don't Know
I Do Love You
Crocodile Rock
Problem Child
Under The Boardwalk
Stamosised Forever
Spring Vacation
Bill & Sue
Beaches In Mind

Now that would make a god awful compilation cd.

*Special emphasis for worst Beach Boys song ever.

Are you freaking kidding me?!

pleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejoking

No joke, I hate it, but that's 90% down to Gary Moore's horrible, horrible guitar shredding. In all honestly I thought you'd be more upset that I singled out the Dennis Wilson shitefest that is Make It Good.

With Make It Good, your feelings are understandable. Though the music is incredible, the lyrics are rubbish.
Personally, I don't mind it, and once again, there are worse BB's songs.

I was just shocked that you would put Maybe I Don't Know on that list. I find Gary Moore's guitar playing to be tolerable, but there's just something about that song...
IMO it's the best song off the 85 album.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 12, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »

Oh man, so many here I forgot about...I looked at Cabinessence's links above, saw what they were, and ran the other way.

"Battle Hymn" -- man, forgot about that one.  Though listening to Mike tapdance his way around the vocal, and Carl and Al getting progressively more bored playing as the track wears on, is hilarious.

"Passing Friend" -- oh yeah, I HATE that song.  In fact, I'd almost say it's the worst ever in the sense that some of the other tracks mentioned are so terrible they have entertainment value for that reason alone (see above), but "Passing Friend" is just boring as hell.

How about "Happy Endings"?  Not only is the song treacly and terrible -- "Disney Girls" with all of the heart and intelligence removed -- but the video, as I've often said, is like a fever dream you get after gorging on Taco Bell right before falling asleep.  Even Carl sucks on it -- he oversings.  How often does THAT happen?

I was walking around with "Summer of Love" stuck in my head yesterday (thanks guys) and occurred to me that the absolute nadir of the song is the leering "GUUURRRLLLLS are always ready" counterpoint in the chorus.  It's so gross and transgressive, especially after "doin' it to you would be so very cool" (not doin' it WITH you, mind...TO you).  

At least that's my recollection of what it does.  I can't bring myself to go back to the video and watch to make sure.  Speaking of the video, what is UP with it?  You can't even tell who's in the band half the time.  It's so confusing.  Everyone wearing the ugliest lifeguard outfits ever.

Let me throw "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way" into the ring.  Yes, it's daft in that Brian navel-gazing way and it has that SUNFLOWER/SURF'S UP era downhome post-hippie charm, but it's about the least melodically engaging song they ever recorded and contains the deathless couplet "doughy lumps/stomach pumps/enemas too."  Forgot that one didn't ya?  Skid marks are only poetic if Roger Christian is writing about a drag race.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:40:25 PM by adamghost » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 12, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »

Skid Marks?   hey , that would have been a good name for a hot rod group,back in the day!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 12, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »

Skid Marks?   hey , that would have been a good name for a hot rod group,back in the day!

Or for a group of old geezers now.

Worst ever to me is Mike's Imagine cover or maybe B-Pain's rap song.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 12, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »

Wrinkles is a classic and it is soon to be released on a compilation along with Old Shep, Jeff Carson's Real Life, Gary Allen's Tough Little Boys and several others. The comp is up for pre-release on Amazon and is titled, 'Dead Good Dead Dog Songs'. Catchy title.

you forget to put smiley Wink Grin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 12, 2014, 10:46:42 PM »

Nobody warned me there was a you tube  link up there to Santa's goin to Kokomo .. Ah man my dinner is ruined now.. But IMHO Mike's lead vocals on JB Rock and HYAMLC were pretty good in fact what ruins the songs is the cheesy cheapo recordings.. The tracks are cheesy + light weight.. Heck there isn't even a guitar part on JB Rock.. Just keyboards + machines.. On both songs pretty much.. With a much better presentation + real instruments would have been good stuff..
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 12, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »

I'd forgot about Happy Endings. What a bad song.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 13, 2014, 01:12:14 AM »

Let me throw "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way" into the ring.  it's about the least melodically engaging song they ever recorded and contains the deathless couplet "doughy lumps/stomach pumps/enemas too."  

Most of CATP and Holland and Carl's LA contributions are all less catchy than HELP. I can't defend the "enema" line, though.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 13, 2014, 01:18:46 AM »

Let me throw "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way" into the ring.  it's about the least melodically engaging song they ever recorded and contains the deathless couplet "doughy lumps/stomach pumps/enemas too."  

Most of CATP and Holland and Carl's LA contributions are all less catchy than HELP. I can't defend the "enema" line, though.

I love the group vocal breakdown part on H.E.L.P ("H-E-L-P: Heeeeeeeelp") .... Let's remember that it's nothing but an unused commercial ditty for The Radiant Radish! Right?

Guuuuuuuuurls are always ready for stomach pumps and enemas too!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 13, 2014, 02:41:30 AM »

I love the group vocal breakdown part on H.E.L.P ("H-E-L-P: Heeeeeeeelp") .... Let's remember that it's nothing but an unused commercial ditty for The Radiant Radish! Right?

Guuuuuuuuurls are always ready for stomach pumps and enemas too!

ROTFLMAO
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 13, 2014, 05:35:44 AM »

It's definitely gotta be "Smart Girls", hands down. That song is the embodiment of every rock fan's stereotype of what they think rap music is but actually isn't. Quite rightly, it's a complete and total embarrassment.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: January 13, 2014, 05:49:38 AM »

7 letters: TPLOBAS.

That's the worst, no further discussion. Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2014, 03:41:41 AM »

Catchy and melodically engaging are not necessarily the same thing.  "Angel Come Home" or (for that matter) "Here She Comes" are less catchy than "H.E.L.P." but they're a hell of a lot more interesting and unpredictable.  H.E.L.P. follows an obvious 1-4-5 pattern with a rote melody pattern.  The descending cadence is OK, but it's also where the enemas come in.

"I Just Called To Say I Love You" is catchy.  It's not, however, melodically engaging.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »

It's definitely gotta be "Smart Girls", hands down. That song is the embodiment of every rock fan's stereotype of what they think rap music is but actually isn't. Quite rightly, it's a complete and total embarrassment.

... except that it remains resolutely unreleased.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 14, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »

Can we all agree that "Smart Girls" is THE song that would never see official release by the powers-that-be, even if hell froze over?  I think we'd see "Teardrops On My Bed" get official release before "Smart Girls".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:57:15 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 14, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »

I thought it was released as a promotional track to radio stations at some point to build hype for Sweet Insanity or something along those lines? But even if that is the case, I suppose it's not exactly an official, wide release.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »

Can we all agree that "Smart Girls" is THE song that would never see official release by the powers-that-be, even if hell froze over?  I think we'd see "Teardrops On My Bed" get official release before "Smart Girls".

"Battle Hymn of the Republic" has them all beat.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »

I tried bringing Beaches In Mind into an audio editing program, just so I could drop the pitch on "beaches" and try to turn it into "bitches."  It totally did not work.  But someday.  Someday I will have the skill and the know-how to create a Beach Boys song called Bitches in Mind.  Man, its been too much time. 

(also, I totally don't hate this song...)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 14, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »

I tried bringing Beaches In Mind into an audio editing program, just so I could drop the pitch on "beaches" and try to turn it into "bitches."  It totally did not work.  But someday.  Someday I will have the skill and the know-how to create a Beach Boys song called Bitches in Mind.  Man, its been too much time. 

(also, I totally don't hate this song...)
You are a genius..... LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »

"Battle Hymn of the Republic" has them all beat.

I LOVE H.E.L.P.

Oh, and I like Battle Hymn also... Perhaps I more interesting thread would be 'Clearly sh*t Beach Boys that you honestly genuinely un-ironically really like'!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: January 14, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »

'Hey Little Tomboy'
'California Calling'
'Summer of Love'

Ahhh!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:28:10 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »

I know people have very different definitions of what it means to be a "fan" of something, but I want to share mine:

When I'm a fan of someone (a musician, an actor) I pretty much think they sh*t gold.  Since I'm a fan of the Beach Boys, I must think that everything they sh*t out has some gold in it.  And I do.  

Back in the day they used to sh*t 90% gold, and maybe 10% sh*t.  Over the years the gold/sh*t ratio has changed, sure, but there's always gold to be found there, even if it takes some digging.

So to me there's no such thing as a Beach Boys song that sucks all the way, because if they're the Beach Boys, and they are, and if there's at least 3 or four of them involved, as there usually is, then there's must be some gold in that poop!

For example, the song It's A Beautiful Day.  It ain't great.  But Carl's "living out in LA... such a beautiful daaaaay" part is great.  So there's a kinda crappy song that has 20 seconds of greatness, but I must've listened to it 25 times.

I don't own Summer in Paradise, as it's been out of print forever, and it's kinda terrible, but I've still listened to it on Youtube dozens of times.  Why have I listened to something that's kinda terrible dozens of times?  Because it's The Beach Boys and they go ooooh and aaaaaah and how bad could that be?  And if I owned Summer in Paradise on CD I'm sure I would've listened to it 100 times... and that's THEIR WORST ALBUM!  

(which is why my mind is blown... BLOWN... when I hear some board members describe songs or entire albums as UNLISTENABLE!!!)

Anyhoo.  That's my fandom.  And sorry for all the scatological imagery.     Grin

And for the record, i LOVE When Girls Get Together, Hey Little Tomboy, Bill & Sue, and I think Smart Girls is some kind of crazy demented awesome.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #398 on: January 14, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »

I know people have very different definitions of what it means to be a "fan" of something, but I want to share mine:

When I'm a fan of someone (a musician, an actor) I pretty much think they sh*t gold.  Since I'm a fan of the Beach Boys, I must think that everything they sh*t out has some gold in it.  And I do.  

Back in the day they used to sh*t 90% gold, and maybe 10% sh*t.  Over the years the gold/sh*t ratio has changed, sure, but there's always gold to be found there, even if it takes some digging.

So to me there's no such thing as a Beach Boys song that sucks all the way, because if they're the Beach Boys, and they are, and if there's at least 3 or four of them involved, as there usually is, then there's must be some gold in that poop!

For example, the song It's A Beautiful Day.  It ain't great.  But Carl's "living out in LA... such a beautiful daaaaay" part is great.  So there's a kinda crappy song that has 20 seconds of greatness, but I must've listened to it 25 times.

I don't own Summer in Paradise, as it's been out of print forever, and it's kinda terrible, but I've still listened to it on Youtube dozens of times.  Why have I listened to something that's kinda terrible dozens of times?  Because it's The Beach Boys and they go ooooh and aaaaaah and how bad could that be?  And if I owned Summer in Paradise on CD I'm sure I would've listened to it 100 times... and that's THEIR WORST ALBUM!  

(which is why my mind is blown... BLOWN... when I hear some board members describe songs or entire albums as UNLISTENABLE!!!)

Anyhoo.  That's my fandom.  And sorry for all the scatological imagery.     Grin

And for the record, i LOVE When Girls Get Together, Hey Little Tomboy, Bill & Sue, and I think Smart Girls is some kind of crazy demented awesome.

I think Dellydell should be made a 5-star honoured guest for that post alone.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »

I think Dellydell should be made a 5-star honoured guest for that post alone.

Smiley Cheesy Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx