gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680928 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 07:18:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up Alternate Track Order  (Read 5859 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 03:24:02 AM »

Brilliant! Kokomo would be the icing on the cake though!

more like a seagull crapping on the cake
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 03:37:06 AM »

I suspect John was joking re Kokomo, using exaggeration to express bafflement at Surfer's grasp of release dates and recording history.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 03:45:27 AM »

I would post my tracklisting, but since this is a DDT and I posted it on an earlier thread of the same subject, then I'm not going to bother  Grin
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 03:58:16 AM »

To me, this flows perfectly...

1. Don't Go Near The Water
2. Long Promised Road
3. Take A Load Off Your Feet (yes it's relatively weak but such an otherwise dark album needs a lighter moment...)
4. Disney Girls
5. 4th Of July

6. Feel Flows
7. Lookin' At Tomorrow
8. A Day In The Life...
9. Til I Die
10. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

(5 second pause)

11. Surf's Up

Student Demonstration Time sounded so different to the conventional Beach Boys sound that - weak as it arguably is - it would've been a mistake to can it entirely. So, in my alternate reality, it would have been released as a pre-album single. This, to me, would have solved myriad issues: the sound and content of the single would have signaled that the group were 'with it' (something that was important at the time) and Surf's Up wouldn't today have a very dated anti-protest song stuck in the middle of it... I'd imagine Mike would have objected to SDT being removed from Surf's Up - this way however, his pride wouldn't have been dented (the comeback single no less!)

halblaineisgood
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 04:02:41 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:41:55 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 04:29:20 AM »

DDT = Dreaded Duplicate Thread
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 03:46:12 AM »

The first Beach Boys album I ever bought after 20 Golden Greats was a cassette of Surf's Up.  It's  produced in England by EMI and the running order of the tracks is:

Side One: Don;t Go Near the Water; A Day in the Life of a Tree; 'Til I Die; Take a Load off Your Feet; Student Demonstration Time; Looking' at Tomorrow
Side Two: Feel Flows; Long Pormised Road; Disney Girls; Surf's Up.

I was surprised to find when I joined the forum that this it isn't the standard order.  Does anyone know what led to this re-ordering and if this is a bootleg or what?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 05:28:46 AM »

Don't Go Near The Water
Long Promised Road
Disney Girls (1957)
4th Of July
Student Demonstration Time

Feel Flows
Take A Load Off Your Feet
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
'Til I Die
Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

Grin
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 05:59:55 AM »

The first Beach Boys album I ever bought after 20 Golden Greats was a cassette of Surf's Up.  It's  produced in England by EMI and the running order of the tracks is:

Side One: Don;t Go Near the Water; A Day in the Life of a Tree; 'Til I Die; Take a Load off Your Feet; Student Demonstration Time; Looking' at Tomorrow

I was surprised to find when I joined the forum that this it isn't the standard order.  Does anyone know what led to this re-ordering and if this is a bootleg or what?

Could be to make the sides of more equal length so you don't have to fast forward so much at the end of the shorter side? Or else pure record company whimsicality.

Please delete my account
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:28 AM »

It wasn't unusual for the record companies to rearrange the track orders on cassettes & 8-tracks, in order to make the sides or programs of near equal length, as mentioned above by unreleased backgrounds.  It also saved them money on the amount of tape used in the shell, which could be significant on duplication runs in the millions of units.  Sometimes the artists were consulted on the revised track order, but the record companies always had the final say since it's all about the profit margin for them.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »

Here is the track list I came up with a while back:

1. Sound Of Free
2. Disney Girls
3. 4th of July
4. Don't Go Near The Water
5. (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again

6. Feel Flows
7. Fallin' In Love (2009 mix)
8. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
9. Til I Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS34TZR3SNY)
10. Surf's Up (TSS)

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »

To me, this flows perfectly...

1. Don't Go Near The Water
2. Long Promised Road
3. Take A Load Off Your Feet (yes it's relatively weak but such an otherwise dark album needs a lighter moment...)
4. Disney Girls
5. 4th Of July

6. Feel Flows
7. Lookin' At Tomorrow
8. A Day In The Life...
9. Til I Die
10. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

(5 second pause)

11. Surf's Up...

Cool
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »

It wasn't unusual for the record companies to rearrange the track orders on cassettes & 8-tracks, in order to make the sides or programs of near equal length, as mentioned above by unreleased backgrounds.  It also saved them money on the amount of tape used in the shell, which could be significant on duplication runs in the millions of units.  Sometimes the artists were consulted on the revised track order, but the record companies always had the final say since it's all about the profit margin for them.

Thanks for the information, Bill.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »

I called it Landlocked because I displaced "Surf's Up" back to where it belongs.

1. Loop de Loop
2. Take a Load Off Your Feet
3. Disney Girls (1957)
4. 4th of July
5. Don't Go Near The Water
6. Sound of Free
7. Fallin' In Love
8. Feel Flows
9. 'Til I Die (Desper Mix)
10. A Day In The Life of a Tree
11. (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again

Half goofy/half darkly depressing and more Dennis-centric.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »

I rather like:

Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
'Til I Die (long version)
Surf's Up

But it's too short for an album. Maybe if I added a few Dennis songs it might work?

Smokin
jk, folks! (please do not respond with hate, this was a joke)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »

I laughed out loud when I saw this at the top of page two.  John being the perfect straight man setting up Cabinessenceking's punchline. Drumroll
It's all in good clean fun!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »

I rather like:

Long Promised Road
Feel Flows
'Til I Die (long version)
Surf's Up

But it's too short for an album. Maybe if I added a few Dennis songs it might work?

Smokin
jk, folks! (please do not respond with hate, this was a joke)

Actually.....you kinda nailed it!  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx