gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681062 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 08:52:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129720 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »

Well........that video was two years ago and the interview I just read the other day was conducted recently. I hope the problem is not getting progressively worse. What's he going to do, take the Chiro on the road with him this Summer? I doubt it. And I just realized that at a recent Smile record signing in S.F., he was shifting in his chair quite a bit. Not sure if he was uncomfortable because of the back or just sitting in the chair for a long period caused him discomfort (as it would a lot of people). I'm hoping for the best! Gotta see him on that stage this year!

Actually, I'd almost guarantee it's getting worse. But given that he seems to have kept up a relatively busy performance and recording schedule over the last 15 years or so, I don't think we need to worry about Brian just yet. But we'll see. (Isn't everyone secretly hoping for just  a bit -- a teensy bit -- of drama on this tour? I know I shouldn't, but I kind of am. Imagine the awful things that could happen!  Evil)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »

Mike's had a dodgy back for a few years now. Funny, he can still do close to 100 shows a year, and not sitting down, either.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

Mike will still be performing at 100 in a wheelchair, hooked up to an iv drip, mark my words.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »

Has Brian any concerts before the first Beach Boys show ? If not, there's a lot of time for his back to get better

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »

Reminds me of that quote from Dennis many years ago - something about "we'll still be on stage in our wheel chairs", or something like that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »

I'm a bit out of the loop with all this 50th anniversary stuff, my thirst for BB discussion temporarily sated by the Smile box release  Cool

However I feel the inevitable twitching of curiosity, the inexorable pull of the Smiley board ....

I haven't had a chance to read all these pages so am just wondering what the current expectations/rumours are about archival releases or are we still in the dark? Stereo Wild Honey perhaps .... Live In Carnegie Hall .... ?!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
PhilCohen
« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

It is now obvious that neither the reunion album or the 50-song hits collection(that Mr.Doe spoke of) will be ready for release to coincide with the start of the tour. A reunion album may (possibly) be released this summer, but what is the fate of the "commemorative" releases?

My guess, is that in the absence of any new product to sell(in conjunction with the tour) that Capitol will press more copies of "Sounds of Summer", "Endless Summer" or "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" and re-promote those products, but for the avid fans looking for new Beach Boys CD product to buy, they are(indefinitely) out of luck. But, to be realistic, the re-promoting of those existing products will be quite satisfactory to the general public, and make plenty of money for Capitol.

And, I should note, that without the feud between Myself & Mr.Doe to keep this thread alive(or at least my presence, to enable people to use me as a scapegoat), this thread quietly came to a halt more than a month ago. I was correct in saying, that with Capitol continuing to stonewall it with the wall of secrecy, that, with respect to archival CD product, there is really nothing more to discuss.

This is kind of sad and disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:43:46 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: March 27, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »

In 2009 Summer Love Songs was announced on April 6th and was released on May 19th.  Just because they've been quiet doesn't mean a 50th release isn't being worked on.  Look at what happened with the Smile Sessions.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2012, 01:30:59 PM »

It is now obvious that neither the reunion album or the 50-song hits collection(that Mr.Doe spoke of) will be ready for release to coincide with the start of the tour. A reunion album may (possibly) be released this summer, but what is the fate of the "commemorative" releases?

My guess, is that in the absence of any new product to sell(in conjunction with the tour) that Capitol will press more copies of "Sounds of Summer", "Endless Summer" or "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" and re-promote those products, but for the avid fans looking for new Beach Boys CD product to buy, they are(indefinitely) out of luck. But, to be realistic, the re-promoting of those existing products will be quite satisfactory to the general public, and make plenty of money for Capitol.

And, I should note, that without the feud between Myself & Mr.Doe to keep this thread alive(or at least my presence, to enable people to use me as a scapegoat), this thread quietly came to a halt more than a month ago. I was correct in saying, that with Capitol continuing to stonewall it with the wall of secrecy, that, with respect to archival CD product, there is really nothing more to discuss.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

“We live in divisive times.”
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 27, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

A release date of June 5th is rumored for the reunion album. Nothing is more or less clear than before about the archival releases you pronounce dead. Have a little faith.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »

Your guess is, as usual, entirely wrong. The new album will be released on June 5th, coincidentally (or possibly not) two days before the 90-minute "Summer's Gone" PBS TV special. The gameplan never was to have it readied for the start of the tour. Sounds Of Summer has been selling quite nicely since 2003 and needs no repromotion, while the 1993 box set is still in print. As for avid fans looking for new BB CD product, may I direct them towards The Smile Sessions.  Come summer, there will be more BB product. Smiley

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »

This is kind of sad and disappointing.[/color]

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »

The new album will be released on June 5th, coincidentally (or possibly not) two days before the 90-minute "Summer's Gone" PBS TV special.

drool.............. slobber........ Sign Me Up!

Afro

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »

And will leak a week before that  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »

Phil, well, first of all, you sent me an email telling me you were leaving Smiley Smile....apparently not my friend! But anyways, first off, The Beach Boys just released The SMiLE Sessions in November and they are also releasing a brand new album in June. So that would basically make it 2 new albums in around 7-8 months. Sounds pretty good to me, regardless of the band. Then, the band also says that within the year we will also receive a new best-of and a career-spanning boxset.

First off, I don't understand the obsession with the new best-of. Who cares? Why do you care if their 38th best-of comes out? Do you need to hear "Little Deuce Coupe" in another collection that badly?

Then, the boxset. It's coming. They said it is. It would probably make sense not to release it the same day as their new album. I'm assuming we'll probably see it near the end of the year. And that's fine. We'll probably get more details after the new album is out. Is that so bad? It's not like there is millions of people hanging on worrying about the new Beach Boys archival material. When it comes out, we'll listen if there is enough interesting stuff included. They will release what they want, when the want to. These are ultimately the works of The Beach Boys, and whatever material they want to come out will come out whenever they want it to come out.
PhilCohen
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »

Phil, well, first of all, you sent me an email telling me you were leaving Smiley Smile....apparently not my friend! But anyways, first off, The Beach Boys just released The SMiLE Sessions in November and they are also releasing a brand new album in June. So that would basically make it 2 new albums in around 7-8 months. Sounds pretty good to me, regardless of the band. Then, the band also says that within the year we will also receive a new best-of and a career-spanning boxset.

First off, I don't understand the obsession with the new best-of. Who cares? Why do you care if their 38th best-of comes out? Do you need to hear "Little Deuce Coupe" in another collection that badly?

Then, the boxset. It's coming. They said it is. It would probably make sense not to release it the same day as their new album. I'm assuming we'll probably see it near the end of the year. And that's fine. We'll probably get more details after the new album is out. Is that so bad? It's not like there is millions of people hanging on worrying about the new Beach Boys archival material. When it comes out, we'll listen if there is enough interesting stuff included. They will release what they want, when the want to. These are ultimately the works of The Beach Boys, and whatever material they want to come out will come out whenever they want it to come out.

I agree that we hardly need another 2-CD greatest hits collection(since Capitol already has several of them on the market)but Mr.Doe has hinted that such a project is in the works. But if Capitol includes a few new remixes, it would give completists a reason to buy it. For the past few decades, the way that the music industry has operated, is that a singer or group tours to promote its latest album, and the tour & album release are closely coordinated. Why does that concept suddenly seem so strange to you guys?

As for The Beach Boys not having to release anything if they don't want to, that is undoubtedly correct. My view(now that we've gotten the most eagerly sought Beach Boys material: Smile), is this: If they want to release more CD's(whether newly recorded material or archival material), then they will(and I'll buy them), and if they don't want to release such product, then they won't. I will leave you with a quote from the booklet from the "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" box set: "Maybe one day, The Beach Boys will make one last extraordinary record.  Maybe they won't. Certainly, as you'll hear on this collection, they've given us a lifetime supply of sublime sound."

Maybe they'll release all these rumored CD projects, or maybe they won't, but we'd all prefer that they do release them, and we're here to make it known that there ARE people out here who would buy these CD's.
PhilCohen
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »

Phil, well, first of all, you sent me an email telling me you were leaving Smiley Smile....apparently not my friend!

Sorry, I got bored, and I probably knew (even before I posted) that this particular discussion thread was basically a dead end street. And so it was........ and is.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »

True dat!

Sorry you got bored Phil but can you take your feud with AGD elsewhere please?
PhilCohen
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

True dat!

We're not feuding at the moment. With no information about the "50th Anniversary" product, there's nothing to keep this thread going.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »

True dat!

We're not feuding at the moment. With no information about the "50th Anniversary" product, there's nothing to keep this thread going.
GO AWAY PHIL

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »

True dat!

Haven't you learned to trust AGD yet?

What has he ever been wrong about besides my ability to operate or not operate a CD player??? (actually, he was right about that too)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:39:00 PM by Erik H » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »

True dat!

Oh ok then!

The person who decided to restart this thread after a month with no new information must be a right tool then huh?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »

no idea why i'm engaging, but here goes...

first, this tour is celebrating the Beach Boys 50th anniversary, not their new album.

secondly, the commemorative releases are not "rumored" ...they were confirmed in official press release.

and finally... THERE IS NO WALL OF SECRECY. Try saying that aloud, Phil. Repeat it a few times. Write it on an index card and keep it in your pocket. Take it out and look at it from time to time. I hope this helps.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:27:46 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »

True dat!

No information ?

Newly recorded album released on June 5th, including tracks entitled "Why God Made The Radio"and "Beaches In Mind"... 90-minute PBS TV special with previously unseen live footage... 'career-spanning' box set (i.e. it goes beyond 1988 unlike the 1993 release)... new best of (and why not - they sell)... other archival releases.

Oh, and a 60 date tour.  Smiley

And that's just the information that's been made public. I'm confident there are surprises up sleeves.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:54:27 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2012, 12:07:21 AM »

True dat!

No information ?

Newly recorded album released on June 5th, including tracks entitled "Why God Made The Radio"and "Beaches In Mind"... 90-minute PBS TV special with previously unseen live footage... 'career-spanning' box set (i.e. it goes beyond 1988 unlike the 1993 release)... new best of (and why not - they sell)... other archival releases.

Oh, and a 60 date tour.  Smiley

And that's just the information that's been made public. I'm confident there are surprises up sleeves.
Like an Oceania Leg of the tour?

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx