gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 02:05:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stephen Kalinich - ONLY collaborator with ALL 3 Wilson brothers?  (Read 4029 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:00:06 AM »

Im pretty sure that Ive read claims that Stephen Kalinich was the only "outsider" to collaborate with all three Wilson brothers, but what about Jack Rieley?

*Brian - A Day In The Life of A Tree, Funky Pretty, Marcella, Radio King Dom, Sail On Sailor, You Need A Mess of Help To Stand Alone
*Carl - Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, The Trader
* Dennis - Steamboat
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 03:19:46 AM »

I used that as a trivia question over on Shut Down a couple of years ago, and was promptly...er...shut down.  Jack Reilly was mentioned, and i think someone else was, too.  Unfortunately my memory for BB facts and trivia wouldn't win me any prizes...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 05:12:25 AM »

I used that as a trivia question over on Shut Down a couple of years ago, and was promptly...er...shut down.  Jack Reilly was mentioned, and i think someone else was, too.  Unfortunately my memory for BB facts and trivia wouldn't win me any prizes...

Well I don't blame you, even Mr. Kalinich (I'm not having a go at him, of course everyone makes mistakes, especially considering how many wrong facts are printed about The Beach Boys!!) claims that he is the "only man on earth to have collaborated with all three Beach Boy brothers Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson." (SOURCE: http://www.stephenkalinich.com/sjknews.html)

I suppose if you wanted to get technical, you could say that Steve Korthof and Jon Parks also wrote with all three Wilson brothers on "When A Man Needs A Woman" (Wilson/Wilson/Wilson/Jardine/Korthof/Parks).. although I can't think of anyone else to write with all three Wilson brothers?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »

Im pretty sure that Ive read claims that Stephen Kalinich was the only "outsider" to collaborate with all three Wilson brothers, but what about Jack Rieley?

*Brian - A Day In The Life of A Tree, Funky Pretty, Marcella, Radio King Dom, Sail On Sailor, You Need A Mess of Help To Stand Alone
*Carl - Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, The Trader
* Dennis - Steamboat

You should add "Fourth Of July" to the songs he wrote with Dennis, even though he's not given a credit on the box set release. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »

Mike Love??!!??

Brian-too many to count

Dennis- Only With You, 10,000 Years, Pacific Ocean Blue

Carl- All This Is That  (Jardine, Love, C.Wilson)

Alan Jardine??!!

Brian- Alot of the Friends album, Santa Ana Winds, others

Dennis- It's About Time

Carl- All This Is That, and I want to say something else on So Tough too
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 07:39:17 AM »

Although not technically outsiders, its a technical answer   Razz
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 09:50:33 AM »

Outsider = someone from outside the band.
Mike Love and Jack Reilly do not qualify, Mike being in the band, and Reilly being the band's MANAGER. Sheesh.

The "Only man on earth" claim is going a bit too far, but this trivia generated from the "outsider' qualification and I think it holds up okay. Korthoff/Parks may be a good technical exception, but Kalinich has a bunch with Brian and Dennis, although only one with Carl that I'm aware of.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 10:23:10 AM »

Outsider = someone from outside the band.
Mike Love and Jack Reilly do not qualify, Mike being in the band, and Reilly being the band's MANAGER. Sheesh.

I think by band he meant anyone not "IN" the band. Was Brian Epstein "IN" the Beatles? Meh... I need a glass...  Razz
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »

[/quote]

I think by band he meant anyone not "IN" the band. Was Brian Epstein "IN" the Beatles? Meh... I need a glass...  Razz
[/quote]

Who said "band"? Who is "he"? I'm lost.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:00:22 AM »

I am the walrus. Goo goo ga joob?  Huh

Your confusion has me confused.  LOL Wink
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 08:55:27 PM »

Who has Murray written with? I know he did Breakaway with Brian. Did he do anything with Dennis or Carl?

Of course he was not really an outsider either.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 10:44:03 PM »

Who said "band"? Who is "he"? I'm lost.

Im not sure, but maby he (pixletwin) was referring to me? And even though I didn't specify (sorry about that), I was referring to people who weren't in the Beach Boys (ie: people who weren't band members).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 10:45:48 PM by mikeyj » Logged
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 01:20:07 AM »

Not sure what the definition or relevance of "outsider" would be, so ignoring that:

If you indeed mean "collaborate" (as in cooperating to produce a work of art)  probably Murry Wilson, Chuck Britz, and Hal Blaine.
If you only mean at least a part-writer of a song by each Wilson brother it might well still be Murry.     
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 07:44:53 AM »

What did Murry write with Dennis or with Carl?  I don't remember hearing or reading of any collaborations there...

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »

Yeh Murry didn't write anything with Dennis or Carl that we know of, or that made it onto tape or an LP. Kalinich is the ONLY guy from the outside...non member/manager/family member to write songs that made it onto released LP's with all three Wilson Brothers...Brian, Dennis and Carl. Okay? I think that's pretty clear. If you want to get technical then the Korthoff/Parks credit might be the one exception, except Korthoff is technically a family member, leaving John Parks as the lone exception.

In fact Kalinich can take it a step further as he also wrote songs with Al Jardine and David Marks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »

If I may toss a peble into the pond, are we sure that he actually collaborated with Carl on "Rainbows", or did he just make a small contribution to an existing composition (or for that matter, did Carl do the same) ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »

If I may toss a peble into the pond, are we sure that he actually collaborated with Carl on "Rainbows", or did he just make a small contribution to an existing composition (or for that matter, did Carl do the same) ?

Errr....I think its Stevie K. who says "I Love You" on Please Let Me Wonder.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 06:26:27 PM »

Errr....I think its Stevie K. who says "I Love You" on Please Let Me Wonder.

Mystery solved!!!!  LOL
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 02:42:08 AM »

Yeh Murry didn't write anything with Dennis or Carl that we know of, or that made it onto tape or an LP.

True - as far as is known.  I am just surmising.  It would be fairly typical though, for him to have collaborated with them in some way that did not include a co-writing credit. 
Dennis was close to and in frequent contact with Murry during the early 70's period when he started composing.  He always wanted  his Dad's approval and his Dad was always eager to give his opinions.   The funny thing is Murry's opinions on the music were often insightful and sometimes followed. (as in suggesting a different speed for 'Caroline, No' - for a well known instance).  Some of his advice may well found it's way onto recorded songs from Dennis and Carl - and for one reason or another this did not find it's way into Beach Boy lore.  Again I am just guessing but if I had to bet, I would wager that there would be a few instances of Murry ideas on songs by Dennis and by Carl.               
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 03:39:58 AM »

Not to play semantics here, but to collaborate in a songwriting sense is not the same as taking someone's ideas and somehow having them find their way into songs.

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 12:21:45 PM »

Not to play semantics here, but to collaborate in a songwriting sense is not the same as taking someone's ideas and somehow having them find their way into songs.

Yes - but the question as originally posed, by Mikeyj (another of the alpha-Mike greats)  did not restrict collaboration to "songwriting".  That is part of my point. 

Collaboration can also be in the form of arranging, production, and performance.     

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx