-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:36:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Lifetime ban on AGD
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lifetime ban on AGD  (Read 276979 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: April 28, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »

For better or for worse at least Andrew was a walking encyclopedia of Beach Boys history and had a reason for being here.

To quote Andrew, "There's a host of good, good folk here making important contributions, and significant original research has resulted. Then there's the trolls, malcontents and general bottom feeders, who do none of this, being content to disrupt for the sake of disruptings sake. Sad."

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22829.msg540931.html#msg540931

When the line between the former and the latter disappears, when the former becomes the latter, for any reason, an intolerable situation emerges.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 28, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »

On the other hand, if all you have left in here are the trolls, malcontents and general bottom feeders, then it doesn't leave this place in too good of shape. I understand that not all of the good contributors will leave, but by doing what you are doing you are running the the risk of losing the people who make SmileySmile a special place to visit. It's been quite quiet in here already.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: April 28, 2016, 12:19:16 PM »

If we are willing to tolerate contributors who are "trolls, malcontents and general bottom feeders" out of a fear of the message board collapsing without them, then we should shut down the board right now.   

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: April 28, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »

It's like the movie sparticus!

Yes! One of the best scenes!

When is this going to stop? Seriously...when? Ever? AGD could be a pain and if he crossed the line so be it but seriously....years and years of this from the usual suspects. Explain to me what the difference is between this stuff and listening to two 9 year olds laughing at each others fart noises. Several people have already tried to politely point this out in this very thread and on it will go. For better or for worse at least Andrew was a walking encyclopedia of Beach Boys history and had a reason for being here.

There's no rule against being 'annoying'*, but there is for bullying.

*'annoying' being in the eye of the beholder. It's subjective. If there was a rule against it, there'd be a few other people banned

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: April 28, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »

On the other hand, if all you have left in here are the trolls, malcontents and general bottom feeders, then it doesn't leave this place in too good of shape. I understand that not all of the good contributors will leave, but by doing what you are doing you are running the the risk of losing the people who make SmileySmile a special place to visit. It's been quite quiet in here already.

Then it's up to us who are here to make the board a better place.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 28, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »

Then it's up to us who are here to make the board a better place.

Make Smiley Smile Great Again!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 28, 2016, 12:50:29 PM »

If we are willing to tolerate contributors who are "trolls, malcontents and general bottom feeders" out of a fear of the message board collapsing without them, then we should shut down the board right now.   

Exactly. Do we allow Rocky back in for the same reason, ratings? Of course not.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 28, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »

When is this going to stop? Seriously...when? Ever? AGD could be a pain and if he crossed the line so be it but seriously....years and years of this from the usual suspects. Explain to me what the difference is between this stuff and listening to two 9 year olds laughing at each others fart noises. Several people have already tried to politely point this out in this very thread and on it will go. For better or for worse at least Andrew was a walking encyclopedia of Beach Boys history and had a reason for being here.

Because you expect 9 years to laugh at fart noises. I don't expect a supposedly well-respected historian and "fact-checker" to spread infantile gossip behind the scenes (which then traveled to other posters). Mike's Beard, I read your little whine on the Hoffman board, to make things perfectly clear (short of drawing this out in crayon): We've all had to read for the last year or two the Cincinnati Kid's opinions on certain subjects (opinions that really seemed to be based on bad information). He bragged about his source, that we would all be surprised if we knew who it was. Turns out his "source" was getting his info from Andrew G Doe. Turns out that information was wrong. If you can't easily see the danger in young posters being spread bad information based on that incident, then trying to explain this is an exercise in futility.

If a poster is using the board's PM function to spread malicious and potentially libelous gossip behind the scenes that involves Brian's CHILDREN/adoption for god's sake I would hope the mods would ban that person no matter WHO it was. That it was being spread by someone who we're all supposed to trust to have the right information is honestly even worse.

Perhaps it all was second hand information - but let's then ask who that information came from, and why on earth it seems like Andrew didn't fact-check this information before spreading it to those who didn't know any better. And also, why was all of this negativity aimed at one person? Honestly, the sum total of what I've found out the last couple weeks makes me realize just how hated of a person Melinda Wilson is in certain circles. All of that speculation, gossip, and flat out wrong allegations were spread to this very board. And then subsequently spread to other posters.

And now this is getting to the point where you guys are trying to vilify Charles LePage (who is gracious enough to run this flippin board) for trying to do the right thing. Seriously, I hope the mods release this information in some fashion, because I think it would shut a lot of people up here.

Of course, some exodus of Doe followers will happen when Lee Dempsey finds or makes the promised land of boards. However, Charles is exactly right - these problems will show up on any board where these people are allowed on...and best of luck to that, because we see how it has played out time and time again.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:09:06 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: April 28, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »

It never stopped being great.  Not when it branched off from the Smile Shoppe in 2004.  Not when "the exodus" occurred in 2006.  And not now.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: April 28, 2016, 01:11:28 PM »

He bragged about his source, that we would all be surprised if we knew who it was. Turns out his "source" was getting his info from Andrew G Doe. Turns out that information was wrong. If you can't easily see the danger in young posters being spread bad information based on that incident, then trying to explain this is an exercise in futility.

Slight correction...the info came from Andrew, but was third-hand. Somebody who Andrew talked to, talked to CK.

And now this is getting to the point where you guys are trying to vilify Charles LePage (who is gracious enough to run this flippin board) for trying to do the right thing. Seriously, I hope the mods release this information in some fashion, because I think it would shut a lot of people up here.

Part of it was briefly mentioned on the Hoffman board (including an accusation that I was never told directly, and was ludicrous to the point that I would've never believed it if Andrew had told me) before the thread was killed. That said, I think short of actually posting the screenshots, there are those who STILL wouldn't believe it; I mean, for f***'s sake, you'd think people would've believed ME, knowing how tight Andrew and I were for years.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:17:01 PM by ♩♬ Speed Turtle ♯♫♩ » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 28, 2016, 01:16:56 PM »

Yeah, I did say that CK's source was getting their info from AGD. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:23:50 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: April 28, 2016, 01:18:01 PM »

He bragged about his source, that we would all be surprised if we knew who it was. Turns out his "source" was getting his info from Andrew G Doe. Turns out that information was wrong. If you can't easily see the danger in young posters being spread bad information based on that incident, then trying to explain this is an exercise in futility.

Slight correction...the info came from Andrew, but was third-hand. Somebody who Andrew talked to, talked to CK.

Yeah, I did say that CK's source was getting their info from AGD. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

I misread it as 'his source was Andrew G Doe'. I'm gonna go lie down now LOL

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 28, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »

Haha it's no problem, Billy Grin There's too much to keep up with regarding this situation methinks.

Part of it was briefly mentioned on the Hoffman board (including an accusation that I was never told directly, and was ludicrous to the point that I would've never believed it if Andrew had told me) before the thread was killed. That said, I think short of actually posting the screenshots, there are those who STILL wouldn't believe it; I mean, for f***'s sake, you'd think people would've believed ME, knowing how tight Andrew and I were for years.

Exactly! Both you and Charles have been an integral part of this forum for how many years now? I would think, based on your years of good service, that people would give you guys enough respect to accept your judgement in this case. Sad that for some that's not happening.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 28, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »

Billy deserves his own monument in Texas for holding this board together! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 28, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »

It never stopped being great.  Not when it branched off from the Smile Shoppe in 2004.  Not when "the exodus" occurred in 2006.  And not now.

That's the spirit!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 28, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »

Rab, Maybe calm down and re-read what my gripe is. I never said Andrew didn't foul up or compared the perceived trolls to him. The guy is done here and yet the same "annoying" people carry on business as usual. Never satisfied, never happy unless they are "annoying" people.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 28, 2016, 03:49:18 PM »

Because you expect 9 years to laugh at fart noises. I don't expect a supposedly well-respected historian and "fact-checker" to spread infantile gossip behind the scenes (which then traveled to other posters). Mike's Beard, I read your little whine on the Hoffman board, to make things perfectly clear (short of drawing this out in crayon): We've all had to read for the last year or two the Cincinnati Kid's opinions on certain subjects (opinions that really seemed to be based on bad information). He bragged about his source, that we would all be surprised if we knew who it was. Turns out his "source" was getting his info from Andrew G Doe. Turns out that information was wrong. If you can't easily see the danger in young posters being spread bad information based on that incident, then trying to explain this is an exercise in futility.

If a poster is using the board's PM function to spread malicious and potentially libelous gossip behind the scenes that involves Brian's CHILDREN/adoption for god's sake I would hope the mods would ban that person no matter WHO it was. That it was being spread by someone who we're all supposed to trust to have the right information is honestly even worse.

Perhaps it all was second hand information - but let's then ask who that information came from, and why on earth it seems like Andrew didn't fact-check this information before spreading it to those who didn't know any better. And also, why was all of this negativity aimed at one person? Honestly, the sum total of what I've found out the last couple weeks makes me realize just how hated of a person Melinda Wilson is in certain circles. All of that speculation, gossip, and flat out wrong allegations were spread to this very board. And then subsequently spread to other posters.

Of course, some exodus of Doe followers will happen when Lee Dempsey finds or makes the promised land of boards. However, Charles is exactly right - these problems will show up on any board where these people are allowed on...and best of luck to that, because we see how it has played out time and time again.

Some fine points Rab. Can't argue with the most of it.

As I've said elsewhere I wasn't party to the misinformation being spread, missed the brief revelations on the Hoff board. The most I know a out it is what I've just read here, that it seems to involve Brian, the adoption of his children and some hatred from some quarters towards Melinda. That conjures up some terrible speculative thoughts that make me wish I hadn't read the post at all.

So do the allegations get posted so there's no ambiguity, or do we just move on and get back to focussing on the music… and maybe delete this thread, as, to be honest, these hints and spoilers ain't good.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:51:40 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 28, 2016, 04:12:20 PM »

John is right.  Let's take the focus back to the music.  There is plenty of history and history makers here.

peace.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 28, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »

This bs you and Empire of Love keep saying about my "opinions over the past couple years" really needs to stop.  You don't even know that what I was told was in anyway malicious towards Melinda or the family (guess what, it wasn't).  Turns out it wasn't 100% false anyway.  So I'd appreciate it if you would stop throwing my named through the mud for some supposed opinions that aren't actually mine.  
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 28, 2016, 04:33:05 PM »

This bs you and Empire of Love keep saying about my "opinions over the past couple years" really needs to stop.  You don't even know that what I was told was in anyway malicious towards Melinda or the family (guess what, it wasn't).  Turns out it wasn't 100% false anyway.  So I'd appreciate it if you would stop throwing my named through the mud for some supposed opinions that aren't actually mine.  
The second to last sentence above is bordering on... well it's getting close to what started all this nonsense.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 28, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »

The second to last sentence above is bordering on... well it's getting close to what started all this nonsense.

Actually none of this nonsense would have started if Empire of Love didn't twist my post into something else entirely just to start some drama.  Guess he got his wish.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 28, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »

Actually none of this nonsense would have started if Empire of Love didn't twist my post into something else entirely just to start some drama.  Guess he got his wish.
No YOU are implying that false information you got is not 100 100% false. How would you actually know that to be the case. How can you make that assertion?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: April 28, 2016, 05:26:36 PM »

Ok..rather than worry about who started what, let's worry about who is going to finish it. My vote is on me. Cool

All kidding aside, let's move on, put Friends on the cd player/iPod/turntable , and then we'll have world peace

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 28, 2016, 05:27:28 PM »

Yes, your post was twisted around. It doesn't dispute the fact that you received false information and used it to base your opinions on certain topics publicly (and you continually bragged about "source" throughout the last couple). That this information wasn't 100% false still leaves a good percentage that was false. And no one was granted a wish here. Had potentially libelous comments not been made in the first place (and apparent bullying) I wouldn't be wasting my time writing this post, and AGD would probably still be a prominent part of this board. You know what I do wish? I wish that Melinda wasn't the target of some fairly disgusting gossip...that way now I wouldn't be privy to the behind-the-scenes plumbing of this fandom, and I'd actually still have passion for the history of this band.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 28, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »

Ok..rather than worry about who started what, let's worry about who is going to finish it. My vote is on me. Cool

All kidding aside, let's move on, put Friends on the cd player/iPod/turntable , and then we'll have world peace

Perfect album to leave behind all this nonsense. Think I'll spin that on the turntable now Listening

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: