gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 09:07:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's pitch problems and vocal coaches  (Read 3775 times)
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:30:49 PM »

I remember watching an old Current Affair show back in the Dr Landy days, and it showed this recording studio with a security gate where someone who was identified as Brian's vocal coach was answering some questions on Brian. This made me wonder: 1). Aside from the change in Brian's voice from smokimg / cocaine, when did he start having pitch problems? 2). Has his hearing worsened as he has aged? 3). If Brian committed to practicing with a vocal coach on a regular basis, could there be a marked improvement?

I have been doing some vocal exercises since I quit smoking pot, and I've noticed my falsetto range is expanding. Yeah, its boring as hell but it has benefits. Check out vocal instructor Brett Manning on You Tube. I notice Brian "scoops" or slides into notes a lot. In the past he seemed so accurate in his pitch placement, and was adamant that the Beach Boys parts be "perfect." I know I shouldn't be comparing 24 year old Brian with 66 year old Brian, but there are guys his age that sing with precision. I would think his band mates would suggest a vocal coach, but maybe there is a certain line they can't cross with Brian.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »

I'd guess most of Brian's problems are a combination of decades--decades--of neglect or active harm coupled with age. Frankly, in technical terms he's a pretty poor live singer these days, which is sad when you consider how great he used to be. And of course, his live singing is even worse in part due to his stage fright and various mental issues. But there are still great moments, such as sometimes in the live versions of "Midnight's Another Day," when he just nails things. (Granted, he's just as likely to forget a line or sing horrendously off key...)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:36:38 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04:26 AM »

Brian's voice through 1974 was basically intact. He naturally sounded somewhat older by his late twenties but certainly like the same person. He still had his range, ans it still was a beautiful voice.  According to several of his friends he started smoking literely as much as he could during 1975 in an attempt to wreck his voice as he had become paranoid about it. Add that to his consumtion of cocaine etc and you will find that ny late 1975 it was very hoarse and never did sound exactly the same again. It's been since then that his singing became erratic and I don't doubt he did some perminent damage. Sometimes good like on MIU, sometimes poor like on Sweet Insanity, but never like its old self. The only occasion I heard some of his young voice creep through was on a 1994 demo of Gettin In Over My Head.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:21:42 AM by MBE » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:29 AM »

Brian does work with a vocal coach now -- or at least he did earlier in the decade. He's mentioned it in several interviews. For what it's worth, I think his pitch problems live have much more to do with the live environment and hearing loss than any lack of musical ability. Some of the tapes from the BBs when Brian was still touring with them in the 60s have pretty wobbly pitch too. When you base your music on perfect harmonies, live appearances can be trouble -- no matter what your age.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:11:11 AM by claymcc » Logged
MBE
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 02:40:34 AM »

I think his voice since 1998 has been pretty solid if not spectacular. At least in the studio. From 76-82 you had it sometimes quite expressive but also just as often veering on awful. In the 83-96 period it could get whiny and sometimes that's harder to take then when he was hoarse. Still nothing in that period was quite as bad as Brian's lead vocals on the 1981-2 shows or something like I'm Begging You Please. I know he started going to a vocal coach in 1987 or so for the first solo album.
Live is harder to measure really. Even if he went a little off pitch at times, his live vocals from 61-73 always sounded like they came from a person with a quality voice. 1976-82 they often sounded unprofessional on stage. 83-96 better overall but still kind of awkward. His solo tours when I saw him he was surprisingly professional and into the shows. He didn't totally knock me out with his voice, but he did a solid job . I have heard recordings where he doesn't sound passionate or into the shows at all, but I still don't think he's been as bad as the 76-82 period.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 04:32:14 AM »

Some of the tapes from the BBs when Brian was still touring with them in the 60s have pretty wobbly pitch too. When you base your music on perfect harmonies, live appearances can be trouble -- no matter what your age.

That's a really good point. I won't deny that Brian's voice isn't what it was, due to smoking, hearing loss, mental illness, etc (frankly, it's amazing he can sing that complex music at all at this point), but he wasn't always on pitch in the 60s either. I've heard a tape of a show (somewhere-- I can't remember) where Brian goes off pitch. I remember being kind of shocked, but then thinking, well, he probably can't hear himself over the screaming, and he's probably freaked out about being up there. It doesn't mean he isn't much better in a quiet room, where conditions are more ideal-- even now.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 04:49:07 AM »

I can't imagine how it must be to Brian's vocal coach... Cause even with the current state of his voice... Telling the guy who sang "The Warmth of the Sun", "Don't Worry, Baby" and "She Knows Me Too Well" how to sing... I would feel intimidated.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 04:53:50 AM »

I can't imagine how it must be to Brian's vocal coach... Cause even with the current state of his voice... Telling the guy who sang "The Warmth of the Sun", "Don't Worry, Baby" and "She Knows Me Too Well" how to sing... I would feel intimidated.

Yes, and I believe that Brian still knows how to sing well (I recall him telling one member of the band to put more air into a note or something like that)-- he just can't always make it happen for himself. Clearly, though, Brian is enjoying singing these days.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 05:49:29 AM »

Yes, and I believe that Brian still knows how to sing well (I recall him telling one member of the band to put more air into a note or something like that)-- he just can't always make it happen for himself.

I think Brian must probably feel the same way as a retired sports hero: in your head you still know exactly how it should be done but your body can't do it anymore like it used to...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 06:13:40 AM »

Still nothing in that period was quite as bad as Brian's lead vocals on the 1981-2 shows....

There was something about Brian's vocals from 1981-82 that I found "improved" over 1976-80. My singing vocabulary isn't great, but he seemed to be trying to sustain his notes longer, actually "singing" instead of yelling/growling. I think it was the beginning of Brian accepting his low voice, and singing in a lower key, which was really emphasized when he returned with Landy in 1983 and The Beach Boys 1985 and BW88.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 06:22:58 AM »

Sometimes good like on MIU, sometimes poor like on Sweet Insanity, but never like its old self. The only occasion I heard some of his young voice creep through was on a 1994 demo of Gettin In Over My Head.
Personally, I have to say that the original (second version) 1990 "Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel" is one of my favorite, one of the best sounding late period BW vocals; along with 1994 GIOMH and "Let it Shine". "DLHKSAA" is just beautiful as a vocal, as a backing track it stinks.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »

Anyone know where I might find the 1994 GIOMH?

Thanks in advance

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »

Anyone know where I might find the 1994 GIOMH?

Thanks in advance
Check your PMs.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 03:56:04 PM »

Some of those Paley sessions are way sped up, by the way -- so the 94 GIOMH might not be as high voiced as some imagine.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »

I have heard three different mixes and some are faster and I still get the young Brian tone on there. Phrasing etc. I do like Let It Shine too. He has some emotion in his voice. DLHKSAA is ok but never stood out to me. The songs I am thinking of with really bad vocals are things like Concert Tonight, Brian, Smart Girls, etc.

The 81-82 shows have Brian singing with less of a growl, but his pitch on something like Don't Worry Baby is about as bad as it got. That said I think the cocaine tapes have him in decent voice. Not always on key but very expressive. In fact I never heard him sing with that much passion since.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »

DLHKSAA is ok but never stood out to me.
It may be a personal thing, but I think Brian's singing with a lot of feeling on the backups "Don't let her ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh,"
and the lead isn't flashy or supposed to be noticeable IMHO, it's just in control, good pitch and phrasing. I do agree that SI has some vocal problems "Concert Tonight" and "Brian" stand out, and I never could get into "Do You Have Any Regrets" but I actually like about half of the 2nd version of SI.

As for Brian's pitch problems, I think that 79-82 was a definite low, especially on stuff like "Don't Worry Baby" and "God Only Knows," which Brian sings OK today (better than then). One of my favorite vocals of recent years for Bri was on "Happy Days," in control on the low and higher parts. I have a soft spot for the lead on "Fairy Tale" too, but the backups are way too chunky, for lack of a better word.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:34:15 PM »

Big "Fairy Tale" vocal fan here, too. Bizarre that he should sing that song, of all the choices on the GIOMH album, so well, but so he does. I think his "What I Really Want for Christmas" vocal is quite good, too.
XY
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 11:45:56 PM »

Take the SFH&B "Spirit Of Rock 'n' Roll", speed it up a bit and whoops, Brian sounds like on the SI recording...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx