gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:34:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067449 times)
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: May 16, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

Sorry, but people are not hearing autotune on these songs. They're massively stacked and slick vocals recorded and mixed 2012-style.

This isn't the Pet Sounds reissue, or Brian making an authentic reproduction of Smile. It's the Beach Boys making an album in 2012.

They always make their studio albums contemporary to the times. It's still way more retro than anything else out there now. Be grateful for that, and just try to enjoy an album with some great tunes and harmonies, please.

edit: that "hallelujah" line does sound punched; the notes in the melody line there as written are large jumps, done quickly, so they're prone to that, but really? This is not something the average person listening to the song is going to notice. I feel like we're dealing with the age-old axiom of "a little knowledge is dangerous".

You're now so into the process that goes into making records that you assume that's how everyone else also listens to music. They don't. The sooner you get past "the process", the sooner you'll be able to get back to the real business of simply connecting with people emotionally via music.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:25:37 AM by Matt Allison » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »

NOOO MOOOOOGGGGSSSS (or gruff vocals)!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »

Why did Joe Thomas had to enter into Brian Wilson's life... why.

"Why did Joe Thomas had to" ... haha
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2728 on: May 16, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »

Yes, people who speak our language better than we do theirs, but still imperfectly, are hilarious
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:12 AM »

I don't think a lot of people--myself among them--dislike things like Autotune because they are associated with vapid pop acts, but because they seem to be used typically as band-aids. Adding an echo, or some delay, or reverb, whatever, is usually done to add a certain dimension to a sound, not to cover up the fact that the sound was bad in the first place. That's my beef with Autotune, and I imagine the beef of many others. If they are honestly using pitch correction for artistic reasons, just like they'd use distortion on a guitar or reverb on vox, more power to them. But if they are doing it because they don't think the Boys' voices are up to snuff any more, then that's pretty lame. In my opinion.

So, if they "aren't up to snuff" should we have been satisfied with poor vocal performances?

I personally think they ARE up to snuff, and that the vocal enhancement may have been unnecessary.  I don't mind however. If the performances really were that bad you rather have listened to poor performances?

Did you see the QVC performance tonight? Those were live songs, and they all sounded pretty good. They would obviously sound better in the studio, without the aid of any things like Autotune.

Plus, just because vocals aren't perfectly polished, doesn't mean they aren't good. Raw can sound good. Could you imagine Bob Dylan's albums if they had that slick studio quality? OK, Dylan isn't the BB--fair enough. How about Pacific Ocean Blue? How about Love You? I personally would rather hear "rougher" vocals than Autotune'd ones. They are more natural, and therefore more emotive.

No no I agree with you!  I guess I read your post differently than you intended.  I was just saying that I rather have enhanced vocals than poor vocals with bum notes and all.  The Love You argument is tough to make though.  The bum notes and singing in that album add to its charm, but if that was the Beach Boys product released in 2012, I gotta say I would be pretty upset.  Love You is Love You because of its history and charm and uniqueness, but if it was released on June 5 of this year it would have, well, very little of that.  Maybe I feel this way because I wasn't alive when it was released. 

If Love You was released in 2012 it would receive a fantastic critical reception. I think it is genuinely an album that fits with a lot of contemporary music (not mainstream pop, proper music - some people on this board seem to get confused at that). Love You is a fantastic, interesting, melodic album that I think would be more appreciated now than in 1977.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:23 AM »

Sorry, but people are not hearing autotune on these songs. They're massively stacked and slick vocals recorded and mixed 2012-style.

You can't listen to "From There To Back Again" and tell me there's no autotune.

Whatever the case, it just doesn't freakin matter.  I guess if the vocals upset you so much that you refuse to purchase the album or whatever, fine.  But that the Boys are releasing a brand new album, full of what seem to be promising new brilliant tracks, then I could care less what program has been used to enhance their vocals.  Auto-tune has become such a dirty word that people associate with modern pop acts that the mere thought of it on a Beach Boys album turns them off.  What if everyone started saying, "Oh, this has Eventide harmonizer effects on it, I won't listen to this".  People would think they were mad.  But for some reason, "Oh I hate this because of the auto-tune" is a justified argument.  Get what I mean?

I guess I'm sort of rambling here, but I'm trying to make a point and I'm having a hard time formulating words for how I feel.  I don't know.  This is going to be a friggin great album.

Agayn, I'm puzzled as to how people can't grasp that it does "freakin' matter" to some folks for reasons I stated a couple pages ago.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »

Agayn, I'm puzzled as to how people can't grasp that it does "freakin' matter" to some folks for reasons I stated a couple pages ago.
Remind me again who said it was your birthright to expect the same production style from 1966 in 2012.

I also demand the same gas prices that existed in 1966. Help me out with that, please.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2732 on: May 17, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »

People just want to have something to complain about.
Do you mean like this?

Yes! I know the sins of which I speak, sadly.

You are forgiven. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:55 AM »

Remind me again who said it was your birthright to expect the same production style from 1966 in 2012.

I also demand the same gas prices that existed in 1966. Help me out with that, please.

I would you to point to a single CREDIBLE 2012 production that sounds like this Beach Boys record. Yes you can say Katy Perry blah blah blah, Beach Boys are a pop act blah blah. The Beach Boys have never been anything like that kind of music.

The more comparable contemporary 'pop' acts are stuff like (not saying it in anywhere the same league) the Shins, Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, Flaming Lips. You could even say stuff like Coldplay is closer to the BBs than actual 'pop' music that exists now. There may be is (and probably is) some minor pitch correction, but it doesn't sound like the new BB recordings.

And the major surviving contemporaries of  the Beach Boys don't have autotune slathered on their new albums - Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan have all had recent good albums, without noticeable autotune.

So its simply ignorant to say this is the 2012 sound - and also your 'price of gas' comparison is just plain stupid. Welcome to the board.
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »

Oh really?

Explain to me how SIP or KTSA or the LA albums sound like Katy Perry...

Of course they don't. But they were made with complete nods to what was contemporary.

You want the Beach Boys to sound like they did in 1966. I might also want that. But what the band does isn't my choice, or yours.

At their genesis, they started life as a modern band, not a retro one. Why do you think you have a right to expect them to now behave otherwise?
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 17, 2012, 04:11:56 AM »

And btw, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, and Bob Dylan haven't recorded a song in many decades that can even hold a candle to the worst one on this album.

Comparing The Shins, Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, Flaming Lips to Brian Wilson is laughable.

8x derivative indie rock to the original? Great argument you have there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:41:47 AM by Matt Allison » Logged
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: May 17, 2012, 04:23:36 AM »

Oh really?

Explain to me how SIP or KTSA or the LA albums sound like Katy Perry...

Of course they don't. But they were made with complete nods to what was contemporary.

You want the Beach Boys to sound like they did in 1966. I might also want that. But what the band does isn't my choice, or yours.

At their genesis, they started life as a modern band, not a retro one. Why do you think you have a right to expect them to now behave otherwise?

I don't think you quite understand my point - the sound that the Beach Boys are now making is not contemporary, it is not nodding to the contemporary.

I don't want them to sound like 1966. I just don't want them to ruin what sound like beautiful songs with BAD application of modern technology, that sounds nothing like contemporary records (except for utter crap mainstream pop).
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: May 17, 2012, 04:31:56 AM »

Record production has been steadily declining, in my humble opinion, since the early 1990's.

Of course we can all cite examples of good and bad production values from every decade....but the stuff coming out in the last 10 years honestly hurts my ears....hurts my head if I listen to it. I believe the autotune/vocal processing and the lack of dynamic range are mostly to blame.

I will pass comment on TWGMTR when I get to hear it properly. But I would say that any form of pitch correction has no place on a record put out by a group known for vocal harmony.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »

and Bob Dylan haven't recorded a song in many decades that can even hold a candle to the worst one on this album.

Have another listen to Modern Times.
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 17, 2012, 04:45:25 AM »

I just don't want them to ruin what sound like beautiful songs with BAD application of modern technology, that sounds nothing like contemporary records (except for utter crap mainstream pop).

Oh ok, so were you complaining when they made 'Getcha Back'? or 'Good Timin'?

Other than the 'Love You' album, please proffer me ONE album where this band did not *completely* try to stay current with whatever was going on sonically in pop music.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 17, 2012, 05:06:36 AM »

and Bob Dylan haven't recorded a song in many decades that can even hold a candle to the worst one on this album.

Have another listen to Modern Times.
and Love and Theft!
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: May 17, 2012, 05:07:19 AM »

I just don't want them to ruin what sound like beautiful songs with BAD application of modern technology, that sounds nothing like contemporary records (except for utter crap mainstream pop).

Other than the 'Love You' album, please proffer me ONE album where this band did not *completely* try to stay current with whatever was going on sonically in pop music.

Here's one - MIU.

Anyway it's not the point. You're fixated that people should like the sound of this album because the 'Beach Boys have always tried to stay current'. That is not my worry about the album - my worry is that it sounds sterile and robotic, and it doesn't need to. Because other acts, both veterans and new acts, don't all have this sound on their records.

Oh and by the way I'd say every song on Modern Times is better than Spring Vacation. I'd say the same of So Beautiful or So What, and the same of 'Shine'. Okay McCartney is a mixed bag.

But regardless of this stupid debate, I am looking forward to TWGMTR - a lot of the songs sound like they will fantastic. But excess autotune and the other MOR style production bothers me - that's just my view.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:48 AM »

Just to add, you've picked one of the best songs from BB85 to reference. Most of the rest of that album is completely spoilt by the then-contemporary production. And SIP is sh*t - have you not heard that?

So yes, it is justified to complain about the BBs trying to keep up with trends. I would have complained in 1985 had I been born.

And how is Good Timin' keeping up with the sound of 1979?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: May 17, 2012, 05:13:17 AM »

I haven't listened to the iTunes samples yet.

Are the other songs autotuned significantly more than Summer Vacation?
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: May 17, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »

No I wouldn't say more. But From Here To Back Again and Pacific Coast Highway are probably of the same level, and they're quite slow ballads so sticks out more.
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: May 17, 2012, 05:24:46 AM »

And btw, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, and Bob Dylan haven't recorded a song in many decades that can even hold a candle to the worst one on this album.

*lol*
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: May 17, 2012, 05:25:55 AM »

I´m so happy I can listen to an album without giving a f*** whether the songs are autotuned or not
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: May 17, 2012, 05:44:47 AM »

You can't listen to "From There To Back Again" and tell me there's no autotune.

i'm not sure that's actually autotune, or just some other vocal effect.  it's obviously not being used to correct pitch. 
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: May 17, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »

Quote from: littlepad
How is Good Timin' keeping up with the sound of 1979?

Answer:
Quote from: littlepad
I would have complained in 1985 had I been born.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: May 17, 2012, 05:55:46 AM »

No I wouldn't say more. But From Here To Back Again and Pacific Coast Highway are probably of the same level, and they're quite slow ballads so sticks out more.

I hear u. Oh well, Spring Vacation didn't bother me too much.

The only thing that was kind of a shock was hearing the uncompressed iTunes sample. I love that radio compression!

(Yes I managed to check out that sample without checking out the others. It wasn't easy.)

*edit - just realized I keep calling Spring Vacation Summer Vacation haha
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:03:53 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx