gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:02:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86678 times)
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 20, 2011, 01:30:16 AM »

Here y'go:

Errr... shoulda took the 45 out first, right ?  Roll Eyes

BTW, it's not a poor scan - the mountains are that blurry on the original.

Thank you very much, AGD! What a beauty.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 20, 2011, 01:54:34 AM »

What does the artwork for Wonderful look like ?

Is Wonderful on You tube also ? the new 45 version.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 20, 2011, 01:56:38 AM »

Wonderful's the b side so no artwork.

Anyone in the UK who struggles to find this, PM me as I have a spare copy which I will gladly sell via paypal.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: June 20, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »

Back sleeve is the credits printed over a row of tape boxes with the one for "Cabin Essence" highlighted.

And the answer to the inevitable question:

1233/7 - The Beach Boys
#250W - Vegetables
#18W - I Want To be Around/Friday Night (box number might be 418, unclear)
#252W - Vegetables
#026W - Cabin Essence
16W - Do You Like Worms

If, as I suspect, the W indicates a session at Western, then the two "Vegetables" boxes are from Smiley Smile, not Smile.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:05:36 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 20, 2011, 02:23:24 AM »

Here's the original painting:

Log Cabin Retreat

Many cheers -  new screensaver implemented!

And one day I would love to hike there…

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 20, 2011, 02:29:11 AM »

Back sleeve is the credits printed over a row of tape boxes with the one for "Cabin Essence" highlighted.

1233/7 - The Beach Boys
#250W - Vegetables
#252W - Vegetables
#026W - Cabin Essence
16W - Do You Like Worms

If, as I suspect, the W indicates a session at Western, then the two "Vegetables" boxes are from Smiley Smile, not Smile.

Is this a new image Andrew, or the same that appeared in (I thinks) David Leaf's book?

And if new, does it tell us anything, erm, new?

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #356 on: June 20, 2011, 03:22:56 AM »

Those anti vinyl posts are  Roll Eyes No offense meant but you need to talk to Desper!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 20, 2011, 04:22:28 AM »

Then I hope that Mark does NOT read this forum. Because by sheer logic, on can deduce that the box will never see the light of day, what with all us grumpy, complaining, obsessive 'to each his own' types. It's simply never right with us. If push came to shove, we'd be able to get all BBs stuff taken from the market altogether, for 'extended revision for ever'.

Well said Don. Mark's a pro and we should have the confidence in him to do his job without advice from our rabble. Once the release date is known, I'll be setting a couple of weeks aside in my diary for the purposes of pure, listening pleasure.

I'm fortunate enough to lack the expertise to recognise all but the most glaringly obvious mistakes in the editing/mixing process. I think there's a lot to be said for not peeking behind the curtain at how these tracks are put together and just enjoying them at face value. Fair enough if that's your thing, and if it's your profession, then noticing editing/mixing mistakes is probably unavoidable.

For me, ignorance is bliss, and to maintain a high level of ignorance, when this is finally released, I'm seriously contemplating setting aside a couple of weeks to avoid all Smile related discussion boards where I know The Smile Sessions will be pinned out like a miserable lab frog!

You can contemplate all you want but I bet you a tenner you won't be able to stay away  Grin Grin Grin Grin - with respect of course

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: June 20, 2011, 04:32:53 AM »

1233/7 - The Beach Boys
#250W - Vegetables
#252W - Vegetables
#026W - Cabin Essence
16W - Do You Like Worms

Is this a new image Andrew, or the same that appeared in (I thinks) David Leaf's book?

Firstly, my W = Western theory just died a horrible screaming death. Crap.

Comparing the back sleeve with the 1993 box booklet tape shelf photo makes it clear that the former is a new photograph, as the boxes are in a different order and include titles not in the latter image. The shot of tape boxes in the Leaf book is of much later tracks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 20, 2011, 04:39:35 AM »

1233/7 - The Beach Boys
#250W - Vegetables
#252W - Vegetables
#026W - Cabin Essence
16W - Do You Like Worms

Firstly, my W = Western theory just died a horrible screaming death. Crap.

Comparing the back sleeve with the 1993 box booklet tape shelf photo makes it clear that the former is a new photograph, as the boxes are in a different order and include titles not in the latter image. The shot of tape boxes in the Leaf book is of much later tracks.

Any ideas on W???

Cheers

Richard
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:52 AM »

What I want to know is - as someone who has never "mastered" a song professionally but who has hired professionals to master mixes and songs I've been involved with - what is the mindset behind the current mastering of the Smile catalog? Was it going for a 2011 standard of higher volume and more compression to reach that volume (extreme examples being Metallica, Californication, etc...), or was a 1967 sensibility considered for these tracks?

To take a modern example, I would imagine and hope that the mastering will be similar to that of the reissue of Dennis' solo albums back in 2008...tasteful indeed it was IMO.

People talk about this 'extreme' mastering in such albums as Californication and Metallica and then mention TLOS in the same breath; TLOS was too 'loud' in parts I think but nothing like the 'extreme' mastering jobs mentioned, and I really can't see The Smile Sessions being anything like as loud as these!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 20, 2011, 05:51:38 AM »

Then I hope that Mark does NOT read this forum. Because by sheer logic, on can deduce that the box will never see the light of day, what with all us grumpy, complaining, obsessive 'to each his own' types. It's simply never right with us. If push came to shove, we'd be able to get all BBs stuff taken from the market altogether, for 'extended revision for ever'.

Well said Don. Mark's a pro and we should have the confidence in him to do his job without advice from our rabble. Once the release date is known, I'll be setting a couple of weeks aside in my diary for the purposes of pure, listening pleasure.

I'm fortunate enough to lack the expertise to recognise all but the most glaringly obvious mistakes in the editing/mixing process. I think there's a lot to be said for not peeking behind the curtain at how these tracks are put together and just enjoying them at face value. Fair enough if that's your thing, and if it's your profession, then noticing editing/mixing mistakes is probably unavoidable.

For me, ignorance is bliss, and to maintain a high level of ignorance, when this is finally released, I'm seriously contemplating setting aside a couple of weeks to avoid all Smile related discussion boards where I know The Smile Sessions will be pinned out like a miserable lab frog!

You can contemplate all you want but I bet you a tenner you won't be able to stay away  Grin Grin Grin Grin - with respect of course

Of course, you're right!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 20, 2011, 06:08:31 AM »

What I want to know is - as someone who has never "mastered" a song professionally but who has hired professionals to master mixes and songs I've been involved with - what is the mindset behind the current mastering of the Smile catalog? Was it going for a 2011 standard of higher volume and more compression to reach that volume (extreme examples being Metallica, Californication, etc...), or was a 1967 sensibility considered for these tracks?

To take a modern example, I would imagine and hope that the mastering will be similar to that of the reissue of Dennis' solo albums back in 2008...tasteful indeed it was IMO.

People talk about this 'extreme' mastering in such albums as Californication and Metallica and then mention TLOS in the same breath; TLOS was too 'loud' in parts I think but nothing like the 'extreme' mastering jobs mentioned, and I really can't see The Smile Sessions being anything like as loud as these!

Do you own TLOS in US or Euro incarnation?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »

The only extremely loud Beach Boys CD that I own is Sounds Of Summer. It is so loud that you hear clipping on quite a few tracks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:34 AM »

Do you own TLOS in US or Euro incarnation?

I do have the Euro one.

In fact I just went back to my copy of TLOS and will concede that I grossly underestimated the degree to which some of the 'rockers' (Morning Beat, Goin Home) had been pushed to the limit.

However the point I wanted to make was that some of the other tracks do retain at least some dynamic range, although it would be pretty mental to have something like the opening piano chords of Southern California peaking at 0 dBfs (they're not far off to be fair lol).

(At the risk of derailing this thread any further, I also interestingly discovered that while Morning Beat peaks at the maximum 0 dBfs, Goin Home - while heavily compressed - seems to have about 0.6 dB of unused headroom!)

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 20, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »

That's the reason why i hope Brian doesn't record his long-mooted 'Rock' album. Because it won't be Brian on piano backed by a rough but eager garage band, knocking out catchy 2 minute rock n roll numbers, but an overproduced, bland, mid-paced, highly compressed collection of four-minute songs with shitty Mertens cumstain sax that that has no merit to it whatsoever.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 20, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »

What brought that on? We're fairly obviously talking about the mastering.... sheesh.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 20, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »

Thought experiment, born out of an epiphany I just had:

in 1967 A.D., the project preliminarily called SMiLE was released, under a different title. Proceedings had been very secretive. You just knew it had to be something unique for a pop band at the time, or for that matter, at all times. You rush feverishly to your record store, and there's this on display:

I, for one, would have fainted. Out of sheer rapture.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »

shitty Mertens cumstain sax that that has no merit to it whatsoever.
surely an uncalled for attack on a most excellent musician !
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »

with shitty Mertens cumstain sax that that has no merit to it whatsoever.
Ok, is it shitty or cumstained? I'm confused!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:16 AM »

Sleeve and package generally are rather lovely. Nice to see W H Smith (UK bookstore) selling records again! Cool
Wonderfu  yodels are quite subtly mixed in. Bass on Cabin Essence is superb.
This may have been asked in the previous 15 pages, but who's Dennis Wolfe?
There is surface noise on this but that's because it's a yellow vinyl 45. On the forthcoming LPs, I guess there'll not be much.
Curious fact - the grooves for side one are shorter than for side two, yet side one is 3.31 and two is 2.05 or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:26:25 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 20, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »

Someone finally posted "Cabin Essence" from the single on youtube so us mere mortals can hear it (ahem).
http://youtu.be/8KntylDaudk
Boy, except for the surface noise—I think the infatuation with vinyl is anti-music myself—I've never heard this song sound more powerful. Great, great mix. In mono, this sounds like what I think BW had in mind all along: tender, spooky, ageless, and deep. It's also more complete-sounding as an arrangement than I've ever heard it before. I think they got the balances just right.
It's not the left side of the stereo mix. What a goofy idea, sorry. And If ya can't trust Mark and Alan, I just dunno what to say.

I agree totally. Man the fellow who even dared suggest that the 45 mixes were just fold down mixes ought to be publically executed.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 20, 2011, 09:22:23 AM »

Thought experiment, born out of an epiphany I just had:

in 1967 A.D., the project preliminarily called SMiLE was released, under a different title. Proceedings had been very secretive. You just knew it had to be something unique for a pop band at the time, or for that matter, at all times. You rush feverishly to your record store, and there's this on display:

I, for one, would have fainted. Out of sheer rapture.

That makes two of us - what a killer album cover that would have made!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 20, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »

Someone finally posted "Cabin Essence" from the single on youtube so us mere mortals can hear it (ahem).
http://youtu.be/8KntylDaudk
Boy, except for the surface noise—I think the infatuation with vinyl is anti-music myself—I've never heard this song sound more powerful. Great, great mix. In mono, this sounds like what I think BW had in mind all along: tender, spooky, ageless, and deep. It's also more complete-sounding as an arrangement than I've ever heard it before. I think they got the balances just right.
It's not the left side of the stereo mix. What a goofy idea, sorry. And If ya can't trust Mark and Alan, I just dunno what to say.

I agree totally. Man the fellow who even dared suggest that the 45 mixes were just fold down mixes ought to be publically executed.

Errrrr - AGD was that you  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Cheers

Richard
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: June 20, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »

I didn't even consider or mention TLOS - those are the extreme *to the extreme* examples I could think of immediately that are probably the most often cited when discussing the problems with modern mastering. Once someone gets away with that, others think it's OK to follow suit, and tailoring songs to sound a certain way over tiny ear buds while working out in a gym or riding a subway car becomes acceptable no matter how bad (objective statement...) the song might actually sound...and these songs are not mixed that way when the band gets done with them, it's in the hands of the mastering folks.

My really extreme historical example is one of my later Henry Mancini "Music From Peter Gunn" reissues, where they mastered it loud to the point of distortion on a few tracks, and that to me is akin to blasphemy since it is one of the finest and most sonically pure jazz recordings ever, a hi-fi staple for decades that was given the "modern treatment" and it killed my ears to hear it that way.

I'm not suggesting anything with Smile other than wondering who might be doing the mastering, thinking if Mark Linett did the mixing and assembly someone else would be mastering it. As of yet I haven't seen any credits for who was doing the nuts-and-bolts recording/mixing/mastering work on this project.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx