gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681081 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 06:32:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Make it Big + other BB songs that many people think are by other bands  (Read 6355 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »

I just found out that my lady friend has been a fan of the film Troop Beverly Hills for years (probably since the film's release), and she always loved the song "Make It Big". When I recently played her "Make It Big" from Still Cruisin', she could sing along to it and was quite familiar with it, being the title track of the film she loved and saw often as a kid... but she was surprised to find out MIB was a track by The BBs, despite having been familiar with the track for decades.

She then called up her sister (who was also a big fan of the film), and similarly, her sister was a fan of the song, knew many of the lyrics and could sing along with it, but also did not know it was a BB song, and was surprised to find this out. I guess it's because it's less of a "typical" BB sounding song...

I wonder how many other people have had a similar experience with MIB and other BB tracks...
KDS
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:45:32 AM »

I'm ashamed to admit this as its become one of my favorite Beach Boys songs.

There was a time when I used to listen to the radio in my teens on classic rock / 70s stations, I remember hearing this song called Sail On Sailor, but never really thought much of it. 

Then, in my mid 20s, when I started getting into The Beach Boys, I got a copy of Warmth of the Sun to go with my copy of Sounds of Summer, and there was that Sail On Sailor song again.  Until then, I'll admit I had no idea that it was a Beach Boys song. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the movie, but I recall that the opening to the film was included on some old Beach Boys video compilation someone made years ago, and I was interested to find that the version opening the film is an alternate mix and, as I recall, has some alternate vocal takes on some of the parts as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the movie, but I recall that the opening to the film was included on some old Beach Boys video compilation someone made years ago, and I was interested to find that the version opening the film is an alternate mix and, as I recall, has some alternate vocal takes on some of the parts as well.

This song especially, since it opens a film which has become a real cult hit with lots of kids (ladies especially) who grew up in that era, is somewhat well known, actually. More so than I would have thought. And I'll bet that this (along with SOS) might be the two best known yet most-mistaken-for-not-being-BB songs that the BBs ever recorded.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:00:51 PM »

I also never knew SoS was a BB song until just a few years ago.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »

There used to be a time when a radio DJ would actually talk and tell you the names of songs and who sang them. I don't listen much these days, but the few times when I have, they rarely introduce anything that they play.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »

There used to be a time when a radio DJ would actually talk and tell you the names of songs and who sang them. I don't listen much these days, but the few times when I have, they rarely introduce anything that they play.

Usually, a DJ will either front sell the first song of a block of songs, and back sell the last song.  Usually, the songs in the middle won't get mentioned unless its a new song. 

I was a DJ on college radio for a year, and I would make it a point to mention each and every song that was played for the benefit of the tens of listeners I might have had. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »

The one that always hits me is "Darlin'" It really sounds very different for the group.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »

When I was 10 I thought Yummy Yummy Yummy was sang by The Beach Boys. Embarrassed
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »

MIB actually played over the closing credits to Troop Beverly Hills.  How do I know such a thing?  I was teenager (and huge BB fan) when the movie came out. I had no interest in seeing the movie but had to hear the new BB song. One of my friends worked in our local movie plex and sneaked me in to see the end of the movie and closing credits so I could hear the song. Maybe it played at the start of the movie as well, but I've never seen it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:30:21 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »

MIB actually played over the closing credits to Troop Beverly Hills.  How do I know such a thing?  I was teenager (and huge BB fan) when the movie came out. I had no interest in seeing but had to hear the new BB song. One of my friends worked in our local movie plex and sneaked me in to see the end of the movie and closing credits so I could hear the song. Maybe it played at the start of the movie as well, but I've never seen it.
It's quite different from the Still Cruisin' mix, too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »

MIB actually played over the closing credits to Troop Beverly Hills.  How do I know such a thing?  I was teenager (and huge BB fan) when the movie came out. I had no interest in seeing the movie but had to hear the new BB song. One of my friends worked in our local movie plex and sneaked me in to see the end of the movie and closing credits so I could hear the song. Maybe it played at the start of the movie as well, but I've never seen it.

It's also over the beginning animated credits sequence...
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »

I had NO IDEA Surfin Safari was a Beach Boys song!!! JK  Grin
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »

When I first heard "Make It Big", "In My Car", "Still Cruisin'" and the Stamos-driven "Forever" I thought it was a tribute band doing their own stuff BB style with a cover thrown in. It took me a while (years!) to get used to the fact that it was actually the BB. I love all those songs----yes, even Stamos's "Forever"...       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »

MIB actually played over the closing credits to Troop Beverly Hills.  How do I know such a thing?  I was teenager (and huge BB fan) when the movie came out. I had no interest in seeing but had to hear the new BB song. One of my friends worked in our local movie plex and sneaked me in to see the end of the movie and closing credits so I could hear the song. Maybe it played at the start of the movie as well, but I've never seen it.
It's quite different from the Still Cruisin' mix, too.

Yep.  Kind of "choppy" as I recall, not in the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus fashion

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 03:24:01 PM »

I bought 20 Golden Greats in 1976 on the strength of liking Good Vibrations which had just been re-released and was back on the charts. To my surprise I knew - or at least had heard - a great number of the songs on the LP. Never looked back since…

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »

Here's the intro to the film from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswuDpHWkWY

Very different mix/version. Stuff is edited in a different order, some of Mike's lead is a different take (Carl's and Al's lead parts sound like they're probably the same), and there's even an extra bridge (or whatever one wants to call it, the "Johnny B. Goode" part) with different lyrics sung again by Mike. They also double up another part (the "superstar" part) with no lyrics and saxophones instead.

It also sounds like the little Bruce interjections are either missing or mixed very low.

Definitely sounds more disjointed; the editing in particular is rather clunky (no doubt to fit the amount of time they needed to fill for the intro).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »

I did the same thing when Police Academy 4 came out.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 11:45:19 PM »

I used to really like the film Problem Child but always rushed to switch the tape off when that awful song started over the ending credits. NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH! When I got into the BBs I was shocked when I discovered that they were the culprits.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »

I used to really like the film Problem Child but always rushed to switch the tape off when that awful song started over the ending credits. NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH! When I got into the BBs I was shocked when I discovered that they were the culprits.
It's not that bad of a song - or at least it doesn't sound bad, Carl is singing lead.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »

In reverse, when I was a kid I thought every Jan & Dean song was a Beach Boys song. 

Also, I always thought that Grand Funk Railroad's "Loco-motion" was definitely the Beach Boys. 

still not convinced. 

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 07:12:56 PM »

Slightly off topic, but on topic of Make it Big; Jenny Lewis (of Rilo Kiley, her own solo, The Wizard (film), Troop Beverly Hills fame) has released a new song called She's Not Me. The music video actually recalls her old acting days (I was most excited about Troop Beverly Hills & the Wizard!), as she is one who had a bad experience as a child actor, this was a big step for her. Go check out the video if you enjoy those films and/or Jenny Lewis.

http://youtu.be/WgUAvzP-qmQ

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »

In reverse, when I was a kid I thought every Jan & Dean song was a Beach Boys song. 

Also, I always thought that Grand Funk Railroad's "Loco-motion" was definitely the Beach Boys. 

still not convinced. 

Grand Funk's locomotion sounds like a dead ringer for the mid 70s BB with Al Jardine on the lead.

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:38 PM »

When I was younger I thought Kokomo wasn't a BB's song and that Follow You Follow Me by Genesis was Tongue I guess listening to the end of FYFM with the "la la la" tag I can see why I thought that
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 05:26:26 AM »

I wish MIB was by some other band!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx