gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681047 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 09:28:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 213944 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 28, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »

Have just had chance to fire up the CD layer of the hybrids today, on a car journey. Very impressed. Plenty of hiss remains on many tracks but regardless there's a degree of climbing Ito the music and having a walk around with these. In fact it was a tad too distracting for the road.

John - if you've the inclination, can you elaborate on the "climbing into", and the items that were distracting you (on the road even!)?

Given you've heard a re-release or 2, and then some, I very curious about the deeper reactions from fellow Smilers (who obviously have a great affinity for the nuance of the material).

In terms of the players, those are nice looking items you and Freddie are looking at.  If you're going to spend less than a 1K, there may only be subtle differences between machines, with some slight quality differences in terms of power sources and build materials (that contribute to the longevity or otherwise of the unit).  The main thing is the quality of the DAC, which is why some stuff is astronomical in price;

You can also get a Sony BDPS7200 for a bit cheaper, if you want something to test the waters first.

Also, remember, that the Blu ray players, or multi format players, may require you to plug into a TV first in order to set things up via onscreen menus (although disc playing is usually automatic) - so if you are not intending to use in conjunction with a TV, you may have to fly blind when using USB ports etc (ie, my pioneer Blu ray plays CDs & SACDs automatically, but does not load USB files automatically - because I don't have it jacked into the telly, it's a bit of a root-up).

The main thing to your advantage at the mo', is the care and attention have gone into the mastering, so the CD presentation should be pretty hot anyway, as you've implied (ie, take your time making a decision)

Yeah, my SACD collection bar these is comprised of 3 releases (Weezer's Blue Album, Stones' Beggar's Banquet, and Pixie's Doolittle), though I have little interest beyond Hybrid releases like these.

I've been looking at the Marantz for a while anyway, we'll see...

Good luck with it! Sounds like you've got a itch about to be scratched  Grin

For others, depending on your budget, these look interesting; designed with good old British know-how and common sense, although pushing the 700-800 quid department - Cambridge Audio 651BD 3D Compatible Universal Blu-ray Player - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Audio-Compatible-Universal-Blu-ray-Black/dp/B005IJRPWE

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »

I'm not up on any of Pioneer's latest models, but I recently had the guts replaced in my DV-578A which plays everything except Blu-Ray.  I just haven't felt the need to step up to Blu-Ray as I'm more of a music guy than a movie guy.

Point is, the small collection of SACDs I have (a few Stones, CCR, Mofi PS) sound amazing.  I'm passing on the early BB's SACDs for the time being to save up for Today, Summer Days, and Sunflower.  I'm hoping they sound significantly better than those shrill sounding 2012 releases. 

After that, we'll see.  As a vinyl collector (but not really a vinyl listener) I'm intrigued with the idea of possibly owning the very first real stereo vinyl releases of Today, Summer Days, and Smiley.  Should Wild Honey ever get a stereo release, you can bet I'll be all over that in all formats! 
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 29, 2015, 03:38:12 AM »

Have just had chance to fire up the CD layer of the hybrids today, on a car journey. Very impressed. Plenty of hiss remains on many tracks but regardless there's a degree of climbing Ito the music and having a walk around with these. In fact it was a tad too distracting for the road.

John - if you've the inclination, can you elaborate on the "climbing into", and the items that were distracting you (on the road even!)?

Given you've heard a re-release or 2, and then some, I very curious about the deeper reactions from fellow Smilers (who obviously have a great affinity for the nuance of the material).

In terms of the players, those are nice looking items you and Freddie are looking at.  If you're going to spend less than a 1K, there may only be subtle differences between machines, with some slight quality differences in terms of power sources and build materials (that contribute to the longevity or otherwise of the unit).  The main thing is the quality of the DAC, which is why some stuff is astronomical in price;

You can also get a Sony BDPS7200 for a bit cheaper, if you want something to test the waters first.

Also, remember, that the Blu ray players, or multi format players, may require you to plug into a TV first in order to set things up via onscreen menus (although disc playing is usually automatic) - so if you are not intending to use in conjunction with a TV, you may have to fly blind when using USB ports etc (ie, my pioneer Blu ray plays CDs & SACDs automatically, but does not load USB files automatically - because I don't have it jacked into the telly, it's a bit of a root-up).

The main thing to your advantage at the mo', is the care and attention have gone into the mastering, so the CD presentation should be pretty hot anyway, as you've implied (ie, take your time making a decision)

Yeah, my SACD collection bar these is comprised of 3 releases (Weezer's Blue Album, Stones' Beggar's Banquet, and Pixie's Doolittle), though I have little interest beyond Hybrid releases like these.

For others, depending on your budget, these look interesting; designed with good old British know-how and common sense, although pushing the 700-800 quid department - Cambridge Audio 651BD 3D Compatible Universal Blu-ray Player - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Audio-Compatible-Universal-Blu-ray-Black/dp/B005IJRPWE

I was recommended some of the Cambridge Audio range back on the Hoffman forum a few months back, but sadly they are well out of my range. The Marantz unit I postd is likely all I could afford, and, right now, I can't afford, sadly. There is an even cheaper Pioneer (?) model, but apparently it doesn't allow gapless USB playback, and it doesn't have 2ch Analogue out, which is what I need really. I would love multichannel, but I can't see myself getting the setup any time soon.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 30, 2015, 07:03:26 AM »

Looks like the next batch won't be out until July 1st so I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the first five mono LPs.

I'll update as soon as I get the chance to listen to them.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 30, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »

I was recommended some of the Cambridge Audio range back on the Hoffman forum a few months back, but sadly they are well out of my range. The Marantz unit I postd is likely all I could afford, and, right now, I can't afford, sadly. There is an even cheaper Pioneer (?) model, but apparently it doesn't allow gapless USB playback, and it doesn't have 2ch Analogue out, which is what I need really. I would love multichannel, but I can't see myself getting the setup any time soon.
These SACD releases are supposed to be the unfutzed with albums, so whether listening on a SACD player or on a regular CD player, these releases sound about as close as you are going to get to the original sound of these albums. I only have a plain CD player and I am perfectly happy listening to them this way. I am sure you will too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: May 01, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »

I just went out to Analogue Production's website and all of the May 1st SACD release dates have been changed to either September 1st, October 1st and December 1st. All Summer Long still has a July 15th release date.

September 1, 2015
Today
Summer Days
Party

October 1, 2015
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile

December 01, 2015
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:51:01 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 01, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »

Good update.  I hadn't been eyeballing that site.  Shame they are going to spread it out over the whole year, but I understand...

JCM

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 01, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »

I just went out to Analogue Production's website and all of the May 1st SACD release dates have been changed to either September 1st, October 1st and December 1st. All Summer Long still has a July 15th release date.

September 1, 2015
Today
Summer Days
Party

October 1, 2015
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile

December 01, 2015
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

Thanks for the SACD update!

Adding the LPs to the mix, the following release dates are currently listed:

July 1
All Summer Long Mono LP
Today! Mono LP
Summer Days (ASN!!) Mono LP
BBs Party Mono LP
Pet Sounds Mono LP

July 15
All Summer Long SACD
Sunflower LP
Surf's Up LP

Aug 10
All Summer Long Stereo LP
Today! Stereo LP
Summer Days (ASN!!) Stereo LP
BBs Party Stereo LP
Pet Sounds Stereo LP

September 1
Today! SACD
Summer Days (ASN!!) SACD
BBs Party SACD

Oct 1
Pet Sounds SACD
Smiley Smile Mono LP
Smiley Smile Stereo LP
Smiley Smile SACD
Holland LP

December 1
Sunflower SACD
Surf's Up SACD
Holland SACD

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:46:40 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 01, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »

Which sucks because they bill your credit card right away.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 01, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »

Can't you Cancel the payment and then reorder close to the dates?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »

After my thoughts of success, I got a customs invoice through today Cry

Nangle it is.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 01, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »

Nangle it is.

That's a bummer! They must have changed the way they operate as they used to hold stuff up until the customs was settled.  That way you knew what was what.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »

September 1, 2015
Today
Summer Days
Party

October 1, 2015
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile

December 01, 2015
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

Thanks for the SACD update!

Adding the LPs to the mix, the following release dates are currently listed:

July 1
All Summer Long Mono LP
Today! Mono LP
Summer Days (ASN!!) Mono LP
BBs Party Mono LP
Pet Sounds Mono LP

July 15
All Summer Long SACD
Sunflower LP
Surf's Up LP

Aug 10
All Summer Long Stereo LP
Today! Stereo LP
Summer Days (ASN!!) Stereo LP
BBs Party Stereo LP
Pet Sounds Stereo LP

September 1
Today! SACD
Summer Days (ASN!!) SACD
BBs Party SACD

Oct 1
Pet Sounds SACD
Smiley Smile Mono LP
Smiley Smile Stereo LP
Smiley Smile SACD
Holland LP

December 1
Sunflower SACD
Surf's Up SACD
Holland SACD

Custom, drBB - you guys rock! Thanks for posting those updates.  My wallet is quietly relieved and appreciates the notice period  Grin

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »

Nangle it is.

Just received my own customs invoice from FedEx today too. Have ordered the Surfin' Safari SACD from Scott but told there's a two-week delay… having just cancelled my pre-release order with SpinCD, which failed to deliver during that time. Frustrated? A tad… shoulda gone with Analogue Sounds from the off perhaps…

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »

Bummer about the shift in dates, but at least it will be less obvious to my other half if these LPs drift in one by one rather than in one huge batch. I'm tempted to get both Pet Sounds LPs and wouldn't relish explaining why I'm buying two copies of an LP I already own multiple times. Hopefully now the release dates are staggered I might be able to slip these under the radar  Wink

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »

Bummer about the shift in dates, but at least it will be less obvious to my other half if these LPs drift in one by one rather than in one huge batch. I'm tempted to get both Pet Sounds LPs and wouldn't relish explaining why I'm buying two copies of an LP I already own multiple times. Hopefully now the release dates are staggered I might be able to slip these under the radar  Wink

This!  Having just explained why I want to buy a SACD/Blu-Ray Audio/DVD-A/etc etc etc player, and why it'll cost the earth…  ooops, interrupted!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 06, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »

Man, I am having a hard time taking the plunge and getting Surfin' Safari. Is it really worth the $26. I feel cheap, but after buying the other 4 with both mono and stereo, spending that much on just the mono, I just can't reason it in my head. HELP! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 06, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »

Can't you Cancel the payment and then reorder close to the dates?

Of course I have, and I am sure that many others have too.  Unfortunately, I'm also sure that this is the real reason why the release dates are getting pushed out.  I think there is a distinct possibility these releases may never happen because AP cannot collect enough guaranteed revenue to make it worthwhile.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 06, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »

Man, I am having a hard time taking the plunge and getting Surfin' Safari. Is it really worth the $26. I feel cheap, but after buying the other 4 with both mono and stereo, spending that much on just the mono, I just can't reason it in my head. HELP! Wink

I struggled with this too.  And I actually struggled with getting LITTLE DEUCE COUPE.  The only thing I kept coming back to was 'you've wanted these to come out for so long now...you have to have all of them'.  Truly, that's the only reason to get SURFIN SAFARI.  That or you just have to have "Heads You Win - Tails I Lose" in the best possibly quality...which in its own way is a sickness.

Brian's Trip

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 06, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »

I struggled with this too.  And I actually struggled with getting LITTLE DEUCE COUPE.  The only thing I kept coming back to was 'you've wanted these to come out for so long now...you have to have all of them'.  Truly, that's the only reason to get SURFIN SAFARI.  That or you just have to have "Heads You Win - Tails I Lose" in the best possibly quality...which in its own way is a sickness.

Brian's Trip

… or look at it another way - one more version can't hurt! Wink

Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 08, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »

The track 7 'Why do fools fall in love' on stereo section of Shut down part2 AP SACD is alternate mono mix?
To my ears, the handclap of the track 7 is clearer and bigger than WDFFIL(track 19) on mono section.(especoally from 1:25)
WDFFIL on the original stereo LP was defferent mix from the original mono LP? Though I thought the two were same mix.

I listened Shut down part2 2000 remaster too.
But the mix of WDFFIL seems like same as track 19 on AP SACD........

And there is a noise on the track 7 WDFFIL around 1:12~13. Is this mastering error?
How about your Shut down part2 AP SACD?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:27:58 AM by sangheon » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 08, 2015, 09:17:58 AM »

I struggled with this too.  And I actually struggled with getting LITTLE DEUCE COUPE.  The only thing I kept coming back to was 'you've wanted these to come out for so long now...you have to have all of them'.  Truly, that's the only reason to get SURFIN SAFARI.  That or you just have to have "Heads You Win - Tails I Lose" in the best possibly quality...which in its own way is a sickness.

Brian's Trip

… or look at it another way - one more version can't hurt! Wink
You convinced me. I bit the bullet and bought it. I just can't help myself. Smiley With the 12% off at Elusivedisc, it paid for the shipping cost.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:19:14 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 08, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »

The track 7 'Why do fools fall in love' on stereo section of Shut down part2 AP SACD is alternate mono mix?
To my ears, the handclap of the track 7 is clearer and bigger than WDFFIL(track 19) on mono section.(especoally from 1:25)
WDFFIL on the original stereo LP was defferent mix from the original mono LP? Though I thought the two were same mix.

And there is a noise on the track 7 WDFFIL around 1:12~13. Is this mastering error?

I mainly noted the longer fade out in the "mono" version, but it wouldn't surprise me if other things slipped through. Indeed, any perculiar defects etc would be inherent in the master - to remove them would detract from the athenticity of these reissues.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 08, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »

Oh man... Surfin' Safari is a big favorite.  It's before they had any pressure to record hits -- no pressure to "formulize" anything, since the formula was still baking.  I've never understood the dislike of this album -- it's so innocent and devoid of pretension, pressure  (peer or otherwise) it's Smiley Smile before they tried to get weird.  It's just naturally weird!

One of their best album titles and covers too.  Surfin' Safari is Beach Boys gospel to me.  It's what the whole journey is about.  It's what makes Today and Pet Sounds so special.

Does that help?

Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 08, 2015, 10:25:47 PM »

I mainly noted the longer fade out in the "mono" version, but it wouldn't surprise me if other things slipped through. Indeed, any perculiar defects etc would be inherent in the master - to remove them would detract from the athenticity of these reissues.

Freddie French-Pounce. Thank you for your comment.

yes.I understand these reissues was mastered with a view to produce the best sound.(most based on original master)
so,I guess WDFFIL(track19) in the mono version is same mix as original mono LP mix.
But the 'louder handclaps' mono mix of WDFFIL(track7)  is new to me.
Have you ever  listened the mix before? Is it same as the one on the original stereo SDP2 LP?
Of course, I checked AGD'S web site. but no any information about WDFFIL on SDP2 stereo LP.
I can't confirm it because I don't have the LP....

If those were same mix, it would mean Chuk Britz (or Brian) mixed again  WDFFIL's mono mix for stereo LP?

and How about the noise on track 7 at 1:12~13?
there is on your copy too?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:27:38 PM by sangheon » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx