gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681067 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 07:54:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 214015 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »

My 5 SACD's came today - seems the "& Family" part worked - no customs!

I've never heard of this '& Family' loophole but might give it a whirl if and when I order from this next batch. I am wondering if any UK retailers might take these on though, given more popular BB titles will be in the mix. What Records seem to import some of the better vinyl releases.

Amazon uk seems to have them listed for later in the year but pricey. SpinCD seems to have the first five but hasn't delivered; best reports so far are for Scott Nangle!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:28:40 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »

Mono Shut Down sounds different on LDC compared to the Surfin USA album. Is this historically correct? Was it re EQed for LCD or was there a single mix used?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »

Mono Shut Down sounds different on LDC compared to the Surfin USA album. Is this historically correct? Was it re EQed for LCD or was there a single mix used?

Given the use of Duophonic mixes etc, I would assume this was the version on the master tape

I've never heard of this '& Family' loophole but might give it a whirl if and when I order from this next batch. I am wondering if any UK retailers might take these on though, given more popular BB titles will be in the mix. What Records seem to import some of the better vinyl releases.

Amazon uk seems to have them listed for later in the year but pricey. SpinCD seems to have the first five but hasn't delivered; best reports so far are for Scott Naldrett!

My method worked out cheaper than Scott Nangle with my evasive methods on customs, by about £2.50 per SACD. I would imagine the vinyl is better bought from Scott though...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »

Given the use of Duophonic mixes etc, I would assume this was the version on the master tape

Amazon uk seems to have them listed for later in the year but pricey. SpinCD seems to have the first five but hasn't delivered; best reports so far are for Scott Naldrett!

My method worked out cheaper than Scott Nangle with my evasive methods on customs, by about £2.50 per SACD. I would imagine the vinyl is better bought from Scott though...

Has it definitely been avoided? Last time my bill came separately in the post, from the courier, some days later.

I do have my fingers crossed for you though! :D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:20:15 AM by John Manning » Logged

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »

Has it definitely been avoided? Last time my bill came separately in the post, from the courier, some days later.

Really? I've never heard of that happening. I'll let you know, but it usually is put in place as a stop-gap preventin you getting the goods until you pay it

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

Normally mine don't get delivered until I pay the courier. That was quick delivery too. Nice one!
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 22, 2015, 06:53:52 PM »

Bought four of the SACDs from Acoustic Sounds. So far I've listened to Shut Down Vol. II and Little Deuce Coupe in mono. I have to say, even at low volume (so as not to disturb the neighbors at night) on my relatively modest home stereo, these sound AMAZING. And I'm only playing the CD layer (don't have an SACD player, but am likely to get one, if only to hear these at their full potential). There's a kind of shimmering, crystalline feeling to the vocals that I've never heard before, and I've never been able to hear so much detail in the arrangements on the mono mixes before. Amazingly, even listening in mono, I sometimes have the illusion of the various instruments and voices being located in a certain place in the room. Who knows what that's about. Maybe my speaker placement? But I'm not complaining, it's a wonderful sensation.

Nothing muddy or fuzzy or muted sounding here. Just absolutely clear, transparent-sounding masters, with every detail in perfect balance. It's a testament to the original mixes and a testament to Kevin Gray's skills at bringing out the best in the tapes.

For all the doubters out there: this is the real deal. I truly do feel like I'm hearing this music for the first time all over again. I even found Cassius Love v. Sonny Wilson entertaining, for God's sake! $30 a pop for the SACDs (27 if they continue offering bulk discounts) is a good deal when you consider you're getting two mixes and the best you've ever heard this music sound.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:55:55 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 22, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »

Thanks, Jesse - don't think I've heard a bum rap for these babes yet!

Just gotta get the AU exchange rate working in my favour!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 23, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »

Is there any news at all on the release dates for the next wave?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 23, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »

AP has all but All Summer Long listed as May 1, 2015, at least for the SACD's.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 23, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »

AP has all but All Summer Long listed as May 1, 2015, at least for the SACD's.

Bye Bye wallet

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #461 on: April 24, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »

Hello money clip

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 26, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »

Freddie, how much is the shipping charge for these SACDs to the UK?

The total price I paid for the 5 SACDs with discount and postage was £112

£93.77 for four SACDs… import duties might have to be added.

John, did your SACDs arrive and did you avoid customs?

Cheers.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 26, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »

Cheers.

Don't forget mine did, but I used the aforementioned "& Family" trick, so we'll see about John.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »

Cheers.

Don't forget mine did, but I used the aforementioned "& Family" trick, so we'll see about John.

Aye, took about four days and, so far, no customs bill (touch wood!)

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 28, 2015, 04:43:45 AM »

Remember folks Scott Nangle Audio for UK purchases.  John, I received my stereo vinyl "Surfer Girl" lp.  I received it 5 days after I ordered it, including the 2 days for delivery and 2 days were the weekend!  As you know I also bought the first 5 monos without any problems.  Some bad reviews online but I've had good service from him.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order mine there.

Has anyone pre-ordered any from the 2nd wave yet and, if so, which ones?

I'm not sure whether to wait for the reviews first. Stereo Pet Sounds and Smiley will be top of my list then probably Pet Sounds and Today in mono if I have any money left after the first two. Not sure what the chances are but if the mono Pet Sounds improves on the CATP twofer and/or Hoffman pressings I can see it selling out fast.

Sod it. Pre-ordered stereo PS and Smiley - I'll be buying those regardless of the reviews.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:46:46 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 28, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »

Remember folks Scott Nangle Audio for UK purchases.  John, I received my stereo vinyl "Surfer Girl" lp.  I received it 5 days after I ordered it, including the 2 days for delivery and 2 days were the weekend!  As you know I also bought the first 5 monos without any problems.  Some bad reviews online but I've had good service from him.

I'm not sure whether to wait for the reviews first. Stereo Pet Sounds and Smiley will be top of my list then probably Pet Sounds and Today in mono if I have any money left after the first two. Not sure what the chances are but if the mono Pet Sounds improves on the CATP twofer and/or Hoffman pressings I can see it selling out fast.

Sod it. Pre-ordered stereo PS and Smiley - I'll be buying those regardless of the reviews.

As I said, SACDs go US, LPs go Nangle.

But yeah, reviews are pointless. These are all stellar releases.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 28, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »

Yes - just the LPs for me. Very excited about these. Just hope I can stretch the finances to order a few more!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 28, 2015, 07:05:15 AM »

Yes - just the LPs for me. Very excited about these. Just hope I can stretch the finances to order a few more!

I would love the LPs, but being happy with the copies I have for now, I'm focussed on finally getting even mildly decent digital versions of these albums (The definitive nature helps there :D ), but I'll probably get something like the Mono Today! and the stereo Smiley

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 28, 2015, 07:58:15 AM »

I pre-ordered the Holland SACD. I do plan on getting them all except Pet Sounds and still on the fence about ordering Surfin' Safari. I already have Surfin' USA through Shut Down, Volume 2.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:59:27 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 28, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »

Have just had chance to fire up the CD layer of the hybrids today, on a car journey. Very impressed. Plenty of hiss remains on many tracks but regardless there's a degree of climbing Ito the music and having a walk around with these. In fact it was a tad too distracting for the road.

I don't own an SACD player yet (my Blu-Ray player is incapable, and CDs sound like sh*t through the TV anyway!) - any one any advice on a reasonably priced entry-level multi-region universal disc player?

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 28, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »

Have just had chance to fire up the CD layer of the hybrids today, on a car journey. Very impressed. Plenty of hiss remains on many tracks but regardless there's a degree of climbing Ito the music and having a walk around with these. In fact it was a tad too distracting for the road.

I don't own an SACD player yet (my Blu-Ray player is incapable, and CDs sound like sh*t through the TV anyway!) - any one any advice on a reasonably priced entry-level multi-region universal disc player?

I've been looking at installing this into my HiFi for a while now. All the time it stays at £299.00, it seems like a good deal to me. Also does USB for all your HiRes needs, so it have every aspect covered - CD, SACD, DVD-A, Blu Ray Audio, Digital and HiRes Digital!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-UD5007-Universal-Blu-Ray-Player-Black/dp/B0087QU2BG

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 28, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

I've been looking at installing this into my HiFi for a while now. All the time it stays at £299.00, it seems like a good deal to me. Also does USB for all your HiRes needs, so it have every aspect covered - CD, SACD, DVD-A, Blu Ray Audio, Digital and HiRes Digital!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-UD5007-Universal-Blu-Ray-Player-Black/dp/B0087QU2BG

Had a look at that and its big brother earlier today; this lengthy review of the ud7007 kinda put me off, worried that be same probs might apply.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/review/B0087QU1SA/R2P2Y7FBZQAVLH/

Was considering maybe the Denon DBT3313UD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0098T5UKO

No experience of these machines though; a tad in the dark.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 28, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »

John - if you've the inclination, can you elaborate on the "climbing into", and the items that were distracting you (on the road even!)?

Given you've heard a re-release or 2, and then some, I very curious about the deeper reactions from fellow Smilers (who obviously have a great affinity for the nuance of the material).

In terms of the players, those are nice looking items you and Freddie are looking at.  If you're going to spend less than a 1K, there may only be subtle differences between machines, with some slight quality differences in terms of power sources and build materials (that contribute to the longevity or otherwise of the unit).  The main thing is the quality of the DAC, which is why some stuff is astronomical in price;

You can also get a Sony BDPS7200 for a bit cheaper, if you want something to test the waters first.

Also, remember, that the Blu ray players, or multi format players, may require you to plug into a TV first in order to set things up via onscreen menus (although disc playing is usually automatic) - so if you are not intending to use in conjunction with a TV, you may have to fly blind when using USB ports etc (ie, my pioneer Blu ray plays CDs & SACDs automatically, but does not load USB files automatically - because I don't have it jacked into the telly, it's a bit of a root-up).

The main thing to your advantage at the mo', is the care and attention have gone into the mastering, so the CD presentation should be pretty hot anyway, as you've implied (ie, take your time making a decision)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 28, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »

John - if you've the inclination, can you elaborate on the "climbing into", and the items that were distracting you (on the road even!)?

Given you've heard a re-release or 2, and then some, I very curious about the deeper reactions from fellow Smilers (who obviously have a great affinity for the nuance of the material).

In terms of the players, those are nice looking items you and Freddie are looking at.  If you're going to spend less than a 1K, there may only be subtle differences between machines, with some slight quality differences in terms of power sources and build materials (that contribute to the longevity or otherwise of the unit).  The main thing is the quality of the DAC, which is why some stuff is astronomical in price;

You can also get a Sony BDPS7200 for a bit cheaper, if you want something to test the waters first.

Also, remember, that the Blu ray players, or multi format players, may require you to plug into a TV first in order to set things up via onscreen menus (although disc playing is usually automatic) - so if you are not intending to use in conjunction with a TV, you may have to fly blind when using USB ports etc (ie, my pioneer Blu ray plays CDs & SACDs automatically, but does not load USB files automatically - because I don't have it jacked into the telly, it's a bit of a root-up).

The main thing to your advantage at the mo', is the care and attention have gone into the mastering, so the CD presentation should be pretty hot anyway, as you've implied (ie, take your time making a decision)

Yeah, my SACD collection bar these is comprised of 3 releases (Weezer's Blue Album, Stones' Beggar's Banquet, and Pixie's Doolittle), though I have little interest beyond Hybrid releases like these.

I've been looking at the Marantz for a while anyway, we'll see...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx