gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 01:23:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 512730 times)
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:23 PM »

It looks like it will be a "limited" release. That could lead to a wiser release of course (when it will be one of the only 8 movies that can be seen in every multiplex within driving distance).

http://www.comingsoon.net/movie/love-mercy-2015

(when I lived in Columbus, we would have hoped it was shown at one of the two single-screen theaters on High St)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:24:17 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 26, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »

Nice, what film was it playing before? 

For us, Woman in Gold. (one of  6 previews, I think;  all looking good, which is unusual)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #1152 on: April 26, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »

Okay, regarding everyone obsessing over the poster:  I used to find this to be ridiculous before I saw the film.  Now that I've seen it, well, I guess some of you who are graphic artists - and there are also those of you who think you are - you seem to need a place a to express criticizm.  It has nothing to do with the film, so hopefully we've finished that, and as more people actually SEE it, maybe we can have a real discussion.  Of course, there will be those of you whom Ontor already addressed.  Here's the good new, he did those of you who are going to carry the anti-Brian banner a service so that you can just cut and paste from his post.  Efficiency is a wonderful thing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:33:54 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 27, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »

As i gaze out toward the horizon, crossing the golden wheat fields, i find myself encumbered by the straw men and their shields.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1154 on: April 27, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »

All I know is that poster is effing gorgeous. I need it in my apartment like YESTERDAY.

BTW, is anybody else starting to fear that, as with any other long-anticipated BW project (The Pet Sounds Sessions, The Smile Sessions...hell, even Smile itself!!), this will be delayed??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
KDS
« Reply #1155 on: April 27, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »

Considering the amount of posts I've seen of FB from the Love and Mercy Page and the Brian Wilson Page, I would be shocked if this movie isn't out on June 5. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1156 on: April 27, 2015, 08:04:29 AM »

From Facebook:

This was from a promotional video we did for “Sloop John B.” It was pretty crazy, but me and the boys had a lot of fun. I thought they captured it really good in the movie.
– Brian

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 27, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »

Some random quotes from moviegoers;

"No comment until I've spoken to my lawyers" - Mr. M Love
"They got my mullet all wrong!" - Ghost of Dr. Landy
"Move over Citizen Kane, there's a new kid in town!" - Anonymous Smiley Smile poster
"David Marks was all but ignored in this movie!" Mr. J Stebbings
"I have a movie coming out?" - Mr. B Wilson
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:05:55 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #1158 on: April 27, 2015, 08:58:10 AM »

Some random quotes from moviegoers;

"No comment until I've spoken to my lawyers" - Mr. M Love

Mr. Love also added,

"For a true account of the story of the Beach Boys, be sure to check out The Beach Boys American Family.  Coming 15 years ago to a YouTube Account near you."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 27, 2015, 09:02:35 AM »

It looks like it will be a "limited" release. That could lead to a wiser release of course (when it will be one of the only 8 movies that can be seen in every multiplex within driving distance).

http://www.comingsoon.net/movie/love-mercy-2015

(when I lived in Columbus, we would have hoped it was shown at one of the two single-screen theaters on High St)
Limited release is not surprising. I'll probably have to drive downtown to the local art house to see this on a big screen. Blecch!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 27, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »

All of the promotional material I keep seeing on Facebook and Twitter, for example, simply says 'In Theaters June 5'.  I'm thinking that it will play in some multiplexes just not a ton of them.  Probably like the same number of screens as something like EX MACHINA which just opened on about 1,200 screens.  Compare with FURIOUS 7 which is playing on nearly 4,000 screens.

If you live in or near any of the top 50 U.S. markets your likely in luck.  If not, you may have to drive a smidge.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:33:42 AM by JCM » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 27, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »

I would be very surprised if it played on 1200+ screens.

I'm expecting a very limited release

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1162 on: April 27, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »

All of the promotional material I keep seeing on Facebook and Twitter, for example, simply says 'In Theaters June 5'.  I'm thinking that it will play in some multiplexes just not a ton of them.  Probably like the same number of screens as something like EX MACHINA which just opened on about 1,200 screens.  Compare with FURIOUS 7 which is playing on nearly 4,000 screens.

If you live in or near any of the top 50 U.S. markets your likely in luck.  If not, you may have to drive a smidge.

You may be right. I looked at the coming attractions for some big theater chains and a few smaller ones and couldn't find it. Then I searched for "Love and Mercy coming soon" and found it hidden away on the AMC site as a coming attraction. It also shows up for a small chain of Cleveland, Ohio, theaters and an even smaller chain in New Zealand. But most of the search results were for the Second Coming.  Smiley

Note: I see I wrote "wiser" release instead of "wider" release above. Completely unconsciously.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 27, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »

Yeah- "limited release" could mean only something in the neighborhood of 10 -60 screens. 1200 screens is not a limited release at all. Also, It's very tough to get screen space this time of year with Summer blockbusters taking up 5 or 6 screens just for one movie. I'm half expecting a limited theatrical release just to generate publicity, and then a quick release to cable on-demand services. I would like to see this in a theater though. so I hope if it does well enough in limited release to warrant an expansion.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: April 27, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »

Yeah- "limited release" could mean only something in the neighborhood of 10 -60 screens. 1200 screens is not a limited release at all. Also, It's very tough to get screen space this time of year with Summer blockbusters taking up 5 or 6 screens just for one movie. I'm half expecting a limited theatrical release just to generate publicity, and then a quick release to cable on-demand services. I would like to see this in a theater though. so I hope if it does well enough in limited release to warrant an expansion.

Well, our local chain, where I saw the preview, owns 15 theaters in 3 states, so I'm betting/hoping/planning on seeing it here.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 27, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but other than Rotten Tomatoes, where are you guys seeing the mention of "limited release"?

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 27, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

From my post on Brianwilson.com:

I will make this brief, as I have been awake for about 36 hours and I'm incoherent.  I was lucky enough to have seen Love & Mercy for the first time in Minneapolis this evening and Bill Pohlad announced that it was the first showing with One Kind of Love ending the film.  That really, really works to follow the song "Love & Mercy" with "One Kind of Love" as it brings the music to Brian's present life, and it's that terrific song, appropriate to the film.

It was as brilliant as everyone has been saying and the portrayals of Brian are uncanny.  It isn't so much the actors mannerisms and expression - which ARE spot on - but they captured his brilliance, his pain, and Brian's downright sweetness that comes through the music.  it will take a bit and some sleep to wrap my head around my personal reactions to the film, but I will share them when I can state them in a clearer manner.  I also love the heroic teamwork of Melinda and Gloria that is so touching.

It was a delight to thank Mr. Pohlad personally for his work.  He is wonderfully approachable and truly loves hearing our comments about the film.  I couldn't say much more than what an amazing job he had done in capturing the essence of Brian.

This is absolutely as must-see. The soundtrack is phenomenal and I can't wait for its release. 

When Does 'One kind Of Love" play? Is it halfway through the credits when most people have left the theatre?

Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1167 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but other than Rotten Tomatoes, where are you guys seeing the mention of "limited release"?

These sites may be repeating the same misinformation, but Fandango, Metacritic, MovieInsider.com and ComingSoon.net show a limited release.

On the other hand, I found it listed as a coming attraction for theaters in Wichita, Kansas; Great Barrington, Massachusetts; and on Lefferts Blvd. in Queens, New York.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 27, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »

I got to thinking tonight that maybe past release trends for Roadside Attractions would be an indicator about how big of a rollout L&M will get.

Viola!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?yr=&view=company&view2=allmovies&studio=roadsideattractions.htm&sort=theaters&order=DESC&p=.htm

This doesn't tell the whole story though because Lionsgate is also part of the distribution for L&M. 

So, using that as a guidepost and referring to this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Attractions) films that Roadside Attractions shared distribution with Lionsgate on got fairly limited releases.  Anywhere from 400 to  around 1000 screens, strictly speaking in the U.S.

I don't know exactly what that portends but it's probably a decent barometer of what to expect for L&M.  I have already send a few emails out to local independent theater chains to add it to the suggestion box.  We'll see.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 28, 2015, 07:51:31 AM »

Okay, regarding everyone obsessing over the poster:  I used to find this to be ridiculous
It's undeniable that a good percentage of the people who are going to pay to see this picture are going based on how nice the poster looks in tandem with the trailers. (Predicted backpedal: "Who cares about those people? Who cares how well the film succeeds?"

If the board is already picking apart the poster, can't wait to see what happens with the film.
I think the only 'picking apart' will be people here who make innocuous observations of some perceived inaccuracies, or maybe what they believe are weak elements with the film, only to be met with passive-aggressive dismissal and vitriol. The caustic attitudes on here will make 'real discussion' worthless if anything except universal praise is discouraged. Monicker makes a good point about the way BDW is shoehorned. I feel like the man's legacy deserves a better represented summation than what it usually gets. It seems like Love & Mercy succeeds at that for once.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1170 on: April 28, 2015, 08:08:13 AM »

Real discussion? I thought that's what we were all doing. Or did you mean "agreeing with your non-existant movie marketing expertise" by that? It's amusing that you're complaining about caustic attitudes while submerged in a puddle of bile over some artwork. Vitriol? You're soaking in it. So yeah, expect some pushback from people who have actually seen the film who don't agree with you in the midst of all this "real discission." Sorry in advance for diverging from your real discussion parameters.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:18:08 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 28, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »

Okay, regarding everyone obsessing over the poster:  I used to find this to be ridiculous
It's undeniable that a good percentage of the people who are going to pay to see this picture are going based on how nice the poster looks in tandem with the trailers. (Predicted backpedal: "Who cares about those people? Who cares how well the film succeeds?"

If the board is already picking apart the poster, can't wait to see what happens with the film.
I think the only 'picking apart' will be people here who make innocuous observations of some perceived inaccuracies, or maybe what they believe are weak elements with the film, only to be met with passive-aggressive dismissal and vitriol. The caustic attitudes on here will make 'real discussion' worthless if anything except universal praise is discouraged. Monicker makes a good point about the way BDW is shoehorned. I feel like the man's legacy deserves a better represented summation than what it usually gets. It seems like Love & Mercy succeeds at that for once.

I frankly will always give my direct and visceral reaction on topics that strike my fancy.  But I also have learned to not open up so much if the only thing I might say would be construed as negative.  Just out of courtesy, because, quite frankly Internet Forums are full enough of negativity.  

My immediate reaction to the poster was astonishment, it's exactly what I was hoping it would be.  I cannot wait to track one down for my cubicle at work.  Personally speaking, I think it absolutely does BDW justice and is eye catching to boot.  It's art, not everyone is going to have the same "holy-moley it's perfect" reaction that I did.  Everyone will have their own unique opinion about what the artwork does or does not do.  I personally love it and think it absolutely nails this in every way.  But, I digress.

Regarding the reaction to the film, I'm sure there will be some that are big fans of the BBs or BDW that don't like it for one reason or another.  I've yet to see the film so I cannot in good conscience comment on the contents.  What I can say is, from my perspective, my excitement for the film can only be matched by several other film releases in my lifetime.  I think about the first time I saw GOODFELLAS in 1990.  I had a major build up of excitement and had read a lot of reviews and been preordained to love it before I set foot in the theater and it exceeded my hopes for what it was.  Much the same happened again for me in 1998 with THE THIN RED LINE where I got obsessed about the film before it ever was released.  Read multiple articles about the subject, the filmmaker, the making of the film, etc.  And again it exceeded my expectations for what it would be.

With LOVE & MERCY the topic of BDW and his music is one I've been rather cozy with 30+ years.  And obsessed with for 20+  years.  Having followed first the announcement of the films production in 2011, to the completion of the screenplay in 2012, to the production of the film in 2013 I think it's safe to say this is the most obsessed I have ever been about a particular motion picture before it was released.  The best the film can do is meet my expectations right?  No way it could exceed them...unless it does.  And I have distinct feeling that it might do just that.

I resigned myself long ago that if a biopic about BDW was ever made it would have to take a unique approach.  Not being a very artistic person, I only hoped that the talent involved with the project would undertake it the challenge with the same love and care that it deserves.  All the while trying to make a viscerally appealing piece of film.  

There will be elements that are glossed over.  We aren't going to see an hour spent on the BBs ascension on the pop charts.  This is a BDW biopic, not a BB biopic.  The threads the filmmakers have apparently chosen (based on my reading of the screenplay and a number of reviews) is quite simply to establish the BBs ascendency in popular music while BDW desired to go deeper with the music.  By choosing to focus the majority of the 1960's period on BDW ceasing to tour and beginning more hardcore studio work (e.g. PET SOUNDS) it allows the story to be more focused.  I'm sure it might be frustrating to hardcore fans that will say but...1965 is basically glossed over.  No mention of TODAY or SUMMER DAYS?!  Again, within the confines of a 2-hour film, I'm sure some decisions had to be made on where to focus the story.  

Couple that with the choice to pass over the 1970s and go right into late 1980s BDW under the grip of Gene Landy.  That might put some people off but again, stylistically, it seems (on paper) to be a very inspired decision.  We all know that back story of BDW stopping touring and working solely in the studio, even prior to PET SOUNDS.  We all know the 'bedroom years'.  We all know Brian's back years.  But this film had to pick what to show and unless it's going to be a 6-hour SHOAH version of BDWs life, some hard decisions had to be made.  

I think my ultimate takeaway from all of this rambling is that I hope that for someone who doesn't completely know the story like we all do will see LOVE & MERCY and be motivated to go out and buy the PET SOUNDS box and the SMILE box.  And a good copy of ENDLESS SUMMER and SPIRIT OF AMERICA and dig in.  And maybe this fall pick up I AM BRIAN WILSON.  And then perhaps dig into the countless clips on YouTube that will fill in the gaps.  The excellent A&E Biography from 1999, for example.  

Not sure how to end this digression so I'll just end it.   LOL
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:23:49 AM by JCM » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1172 on: April 28, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »

Hey, it was a great digression! Certainly added more than my dismissive reply. You're really going to enjoy the film! Looking forward to hearing what you make of it... I was really surprised at how hard it hit me, and I was already expecting solid work.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #1173 on: April 28, 2015, 02:07:48 PM »

Love & Mercy in the Twin Cities
(another big-time spoiler alert from my viewing of the film on 24-Apr 2015)

First of all, Love & Mercy does what a great film is supposed to do.  It manages to be a coherent, powerful, almost overwhelming story – with clarity, grace and simplicity.  That alone makes it worth seeing.

Then, clearly all of the talent involved in making this film (writers, producers, director, actors, music director, and on and on) “got it” about Brian in a BIG way:

They got his brilliance,
They got the sounds in his head that both enchant and torture,
They got the desire for approval from his family and others,
And they got that remarkable sweetness of a human being who simply makes us feel loved when he offers us a song.

Now as far as how “real” the story is:  I had no problem recognizing Brian in both Paul Dano and John Cusack – they not only had the mannerisms and quality of his presence expressed perfectly, but they both got the charming spirit of the man to come through the screen.  I can’t emphasize enough how much this works together.  Both actors nail it for the different periods.  

Dano got that youthful enthusiasm that Brian expressed when I met him and got to know him (1969).  He captured Brian’s sheer joy that I saw whenever he talked about music, as well as those torturing voices that swirled around the emotional wounds when he began to lose the approval that he so wanted from his family and the “suits.”  This was artfully woven into Cusack’s Brian so that it worked to skip the period as his pain became more and more debilitating.

Cusack’s masterful portrayal allowed him to show a brutally intimidated man in such a way that we could see that Brian was, of course, still Brian.  That spirit was not to be beaten.  There are a few people given credit for “saving Brian’s life,” including Landy. I would tell you that Brian has always saved Brian.  It was his pure will to live and express himself that brought him through the unbelievable pain and challenges of his life. I believe anyone who knows him would agree.

As a megalomaniacal therapist with almost limitless funds to maintain 24-hour guards/informants, Landy definitely got Brian thinner and more presentable for all the right interviews and performances.  Sadly, simply looking at the videos that are available from that time, it’s fairly clear that the meds prescribed by another doctor (who as I understand it, never SAW Brian) but administered by Landy and staff, were used to “hop up” the man and intimidate him, as well.  The woman who approached Bill Pohlad at the reception ahead of me identified herself as a therapist and remarked on having learned about Landy’s methods and pretty much recoiling in horror.  So with that in mind…

…There was an earlier comment about Paul Giamatti playing Landy “over the top,” but I didn’t have that impression. And as Mr. Pohlad said in the Q&A, in Brian’s notes to him after seeing a reading of the script, one key comment was that the Landy character wasn’t quite “tough enough.”  No kidding.  What else could Giamatti do with someone like that?  And he did it deliciously.  I think you’ll eat it up as the audience around me did.

While Brian always saved Brian, there were people in his life who cared enough to assist him in making this happen. I loved how Elizabeth Banks captures Melinda Ledbetter (Wilson).  And Gloria Ramos was portrayed sensitively by Diana Maria Riva.  I won’t discuss the details of the power of their scenes, but I will tell you that the crowd was gasping and cheering, as well they should have.

And the soundtrack!  Oh my, the soundtrack is quite simply compelling and beautiful.  I really want to hear it separately from the film as I feel certain it tells this story in and of itself.  If it isn’t released, quite frankly, it will be a terrible loss.  What I loved about “One Kind of Love” coming after “Love and Mercy” at the end of the film is that it brings us into the present as this remarkable 72 year-old man tells us the same story in his usual preferred format:: 3-4 minutes of musical celebration.

One of the most interesting things that Mr. Pohlad said in the Q&A was when someone asked if he was a huge fan prior to the project.  He nodded to his brother and indicated that his sibling was the huge Brian fan, while he had been more of a Beatles guy.  He said that actually gave him a perspective that was “stepped back enough” (probably not exactly his words, but hopefully you get the idea) to do the film.  I wholeheartedly agree.

Bill Pohlad didn’t get so lost in the details that hard-core fans (and that includes me) would have obsessed over and ruined the project.  He told Brian’s story in a way that the whole world can grasp in each individual’s personal way - a beautiful, captivating, heart-wrenching story of love and redemption...that magical thing that Brian’s music captures.  They did the man proud.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:12:34 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 28, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »

Great post, Debbie - thanks for sharing your insights about the film itself as a fan, but also additional perspective you've been able to bring based on your own experiences, ie:

Cusack’s masterful portrayal allowed him to show a brutally intimidated man in such a way that we could see that Brian was, of course, still Brian.  That spirit was not to be beaten.  There are a few people given credit for “saving Brian’s life,” including Landy. I would tell you that Brian has always saved Brian.  It was his pure will to live and express himself that brought him through the unbelievable pain and challenges of his life. I believe anyone who knows him would agree.

I have to wait until June for this to be released locally, but I happy to eat up the reviews in the meantime!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx