gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680904 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 04:26:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129516 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2012, 03:15:46 AM »

SMiLE-Holland, I think you're being exceptionally generous.  There was a time when I believed that Phil believed what he was posting; no longer the case. It's sheer incitement for the sake of mischief.

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2012, 03:40:11 AM »

while we’re talking on board rules, may I point out that there are also rules regarding foul language.

Can we say "The Beach Boys are the best f*cking band in the universe"?  Huh
Use it in a good way?

Fair point, and it's good that you point that out. Although I don't find it necessary to use foul language at all to emphasize my opinion (but that's a matter of opinion), I should have made clear that in this case I specifically meant the foul language with regard to the name-calling.

(I think that we all can clearly read the difference in approach when one writes "they are the best  f*cking" band", or "you're a f*cking troll")

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2012, 03:45:05 AM »

SMiLE-Holland, I think you're being exceptionally generous.  There was a time when I believed that Phil believed what he was posting; no longer the case. It's sheer incitement for the sake of mischief.

I know, I hear that more often ... and so you can savely assume it's going really downhill on this topic, if even I respond on matters like this.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:15 AM »

I would say that if there's no hits compilation, reunion album or other CD release announcement by the time of the first shows of the tour, then perhaps Capitol Records and/or The Beach Boys have changed their minds about the hits compilation, "commemorative" CD's and/or box set. Oh well, maybe they concluded that there weren't enough people out here who actually cared about these products. Some of the people on this forum (and other similar forums) DID care, but did the general public care? Perhaps not.
ban this f*cking troll!

You're a very mean-spirited individual. Whenever I express any view that you disagree with, then the attacks on me start anew.

Two things:

@ PhilCohen: we know your point of view by now. But you also know that your constant negative approach of everything that is being announced on the BB – by now – automatically provokes a lot of harsh responses. I simply can’t imagine that you are surprised by receiving them. Or better said: I can’t help but concluding that you are deliberately trying to provoke other members here. I’m not talking on this specific reply, but on the sum of all replies from the last couple of months. A fair point of criticism is just fine (that’s where messageboards are for: a good discussion based on different points of view). Repeated negative criticism is only tearing others down and IMO is indeed in conflict with board rule nr. 2 (“Lift each other up, don't tear each other down…” + “…and not be an embarrassment to the good name of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys”).
I recommend you to take my advise seriously when I say to stop with this.

@ SMiLE-Brian: while we’re talking on board rules, may I point out that there are also rules regarding foul language. I understand your feelings towards Phil’s constant negativity (you’re not alone in that), and that lately more members are not really bothered to avoid name-calling. But try to use other words, because this is also not the way to keep the spirits positive here. And it certainly won’t influence the moderators to quicken our decisions or change our minds. Just ignore and/or report the mods.

click here for board rules

To end with a positive note:
Everything hints towards 2012 being a unique year for all of us fans. Who would have thought a reunion like this would be possible just a few years ago? We got this little SMilE Sessions box as a starter (!!). I mean, they could have done worse than that? (I wonder if they could have done better than that).
Let us be happy that the Boys are approaching this reunion seriously. All information we got so far is way more than we could ever have dreamt of. Let alone that Grammy performance: regardless of how it went, I’m so glad to have watched those films and pictures of 5 Beach Boys smiling & performing together. And to think a lot more is announced or to be expected. Even if only 50% of it is realizable, it’s way more than we could have expected. Let’s enjoy this while it lasts, as I’m sure this will be a once in a life time experience.

Smile holland, I understand your points and avoid the bad language and taunting in the future.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »

I don't know what I find more amusing: Phil's rants or those whom feel particularly threatened by them.  Lighten up, guys. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »

I must admit I'm one of the ones who freaked out at Phil because he is so freakin' annoying...

But I have do have a complaint to voice to BRI...

It would be nice to know exactly what the "commemorative releases" are going to be. I'd say, certainly, that we're getting a brand new studio album, a career spanning box set, and another hits album. However, what else? I'm not gonna be like Phil and say we need track lists and release dates right now, but it would be interesting to know if, say, they are reissuing the original albums, or if we are gonna get deluxe versions of Sunflower and Surf's Up. Or neither. I think that would be just a little nugget that they could be willing to give us, without giving it all away to us yet.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »

There's something like two months between now and the first C50 show. The 'silence' over the Smile project between original announcement and first hard news was a lot longer than that.

Patience.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

The waiting is the hardest part - Tom Petty
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »

I'm starting to hear rumors that Capitol is preparing a Stack-O-Tracks Sessions set. It will be a boxed set that divides the backing tracks released on that album into their smaller parts. Trust me when I say you haven't lived until you've heard "Darlin' (Drums Track)"!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »

I'm starting to hear rumors that Capitol is preparing a Stack-O-Tracks Sessions set. It will be a boxed set that divides the backing tracks released on that album into their smaller parts. Trust me when I say you haven't lived until you've heard "Darlin' (Drums Track)"!

Ah, a primo example of alternative humor. That's as in "alternative to being funny".

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »

Speaking as a fan since the 1990's, it is simply awesome that we got SMile last year, and are now expecting a reunion project this year.  Just awesome!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:10 AM »

Ah, a primo example of alternative humor. That's as in "alternative to being funny".

I would actually love to hear something like that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2012, 12:35:10 AM »

If they do reissues, I'd like to see hi-res versions made available.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:11 AM »

I was going to say, that wouldn't be the first time I've heard a call for multi-tracks.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2012, 03:45:36 AM »

I was going to say, that wouldn't be the first time I've heard a call for multi-tracks.

I wouldn´t mind a box set like this either. Tongue
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »

I need the multitracks.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2012, 04:27:58 AM »

There's something like two months between now and the first C50 show. The 'silence' over the Smile project between original announcement and first hard news was a lot longer than that.

Patience.

Excellent post. BBs aficionado(e)s often come across as kids in a candy store. Unaccompanied by their Moms.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »

Andrew, I know you cannot get into specifics, but do the Boys' and Capitol know what is going to be released this year besides the new album? Have things been firmed up?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »

By now, I would damn well hope so. The overall merchandising plan is going to go to hell in a hand-basket otherwise.

Personally I'd like to see something all-embracing in some really neat packaging: TSS really raised the bar.

One thing we should all bear in mind - if Capitol released a box set of every BB album ever released, complete with stereo remixes, bonus tracks, nine DVDs with every single piece of TV and movie footage ever shot and a 500-page book of liner notes, in a solid gold briefcase complete with diamond encrusted locks and priced it at $4.99, Phil Cohen would bitch that it was too heavy, it clashed with his decor and he needed to keep polishing it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:04:43 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »

The 50th Anniversary shirt sucks! Hopefully they'll come up with something better than that when the gigs get going.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »

obviously, the big things are the tour and album....anything else would be a great bonus

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »

By now, I would damn well hope so. The overall merchandising plan is going to go to hell in a hand-basket otherwise.

Personally I'd like to see something all-embracing in some really neat packaging: TSS really raised the bar.

One thing we should all bear in mind - if Capitol released a box set of every BB album ever released, complete with stereo remixes, bonus tracks, nine DVDs with every single piece of TV and movie footage ever shot and a 500-page book of liner notes, in a solid gold briefcase complete with diamond encrusted locks and priced it at $4.99, Phil Cohen would bitch that it was too heavy, it clashed with his decor and he needed to keep polishing it.

Would anybody be surprised if some things were pushed into 2013? I wouldn't. The first "anniversary" box set came out in 1993, after all.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

The term "Brian's Back" was a well known saying in 1976, but with this tour it may mean something different. If his back doesn't hold up, as it hasn't seemed to recently, you may not see him engaged all the time, much less be on stage for an entire concert(s). Hate to be a downer, but after reading recent interviews, his bad back is mentioned. It completely side-lined him for a recent recording session. It ain't a good sign, people. 50 + concerts we're talkin' here.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

The term "Brian's Back" was a well known saying in 1976, but with this tour it may mean something different. If his back doesn't hold up, as it hasn't seemed to recently, you may not see him engaged all the time, much less be on stage for an entire concert(s). Hate to be a downer, but after reading recent interviews, his bad back is mentioned. It completely side-lined him for a recent recording session. It ain't a good sign, people. 50 + concerts we're talkin' here.....

I think it might be possible to make too much of that. Brian sits down almost all the time anyway, so I'm not sure how much the back would hamper him. Plus, it's not like you develop a bad back overnight at age 69. He must have had some issues before, and those don't seem to have affected his touring schedule.

Here he is talking about his chiropractor two years ago ... and it sounds like someone he'd been visiting for years at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWVbj0YUyE

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »

Well........that video was two years ago and the interview I just read the other day was conducted recently. I hope the problem is not getting progressively worse. What's he going to do, take the Chiro on the road with him this Summer? I doubt it. And I just realized that at a recent Smile record signing in S.F., he was shifting in his chair quite a bit. Not sure if he was uncomfortable because of the back or just sitting in the chair for a long period caused him discomfort (as it would a lot of people). I'm hoping for the best! Gotta see him on that stage this year!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx