gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680995 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 05:06:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1414988 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5325 on: December 24, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »

So, what's the board's stance on sharing material that's in the public domain now? Like this "We'll Run Away" rehearsal:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y382kx

Baffling why this awesome version and the other available in-progress alternate versions weren't included on the "Keep an Eye on Summer" copyright extension release. Such an underrated track.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5326 on: December 27, 2014, 07:29:55 AM »

This doesn't merit a thread in any way, shape or form...but a response or 2 would be appreciated.  Probably the UK contingent could answer with a degree of experience.

" 'Member when you spilled Coke all over your blouse?"...Beach Boys...'All Summer Long'
"Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry-cola."...Kinks...revamped 'Lola'

If memory serves...Ray and the kinky boys had to vacate a N. American tour for a moment in order to fly home and replace "tastes just like Coca Cola"...with "cherry cola".  They then flew back to resume the tour and the BBC began to play 'Lola'.

Coca Cola and Coke are BOTH registered trademarks.  The BBC didn't play songs with references to actual products as that was construed to be advertising.

QUESTION???  Did the BBC play All Summer Long at any point?  Did Brian's wife have to spill "coco over her blouse"?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: December 27, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »

So, what's the board's stance on sharing material that's in the public domain now? Like this "We'll Run Away" rehearsal:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y382kx

Baffling why this awesome version and the other available in-progress alternate versions weren't included on the "Keep an Eye on Summer" copyright extension release. Such an underrated track.

Well, per an email I got yesterday from someone in the know, the work tapes of a released sound recording, including any aborted takes from the recording session that have the same arrangement as the released take, ARE covered under the umbrella of the copyright of the released version.  That was news to me.  So the example above is still a copyrighted work, and will be for another 20 years.  As I mentioned in the KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER thread, the inclusion of some of the session outtakes wasn't due to copyright extension reasons, but instead was done to fill the package out into a general 1964 50th anniversary release.  But there were limits as to how many tracks Mark and Alan could include, and they tried to make the best choices they could.

Lee
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:12:11 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: December 27, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »

This doesn't merit a thread in any way, shape or form...but a response or 2 would be appreciated.  Probably the UK contingent could answer with a degree of experience.

" 'Member when you spilled Coke all over your blouse?"...Beach Boys...'All Summer Long'
"Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry-cola."...Kinks...revamped 'Lola'

If memory serves...Ray and the kinky boys had to vacate a N. American tour for a moment in order to fly home and replace "tastes just like Coca Cola"...with "cherry cola".  They then flew back to resume the tour and the BBC began to play 'Lola'.

Coca Cola and Coke are BOTH registered trademarks.  The BBC didn't play songs with references to actual products as that was construed to be advertising.

QUESTION???  Did the BBC play All Summer Long at any point?  Did Brian's wife have to spill "coco over her blouse"?

They got away with it because it could be explained that it's about spilling cocaine all over your blouse.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: December 27, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »

They got away with it because it could be explained that it's about spilling cocaine all over your blouse.

The interpretation of which is strengthened by this line, clearly about heroin: "When we rode the horse we got some thrills".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: December 27, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »

The interpretation of which is strengthened by this line, clearly about heroin: "When we rode the horse we got some thrills".

Perhaps the two of you should start a standup act?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: December 27, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »

Well, per an email I got yesterday from someone in the know, the work tapes of a released sound recording, including any aborted takes from the recording session that have the same arrangement as the released take, ARE covered under the umbrella of the copyright of the released version.  That was news to me.  So the example above is still a copyrighted work, and will be for another 20 years.  

Lee

Thanks for posting this info.  From a practical standpoint this completely makes sense. 

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5332 on: December 27, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »

runnersdialzero and Bubbly Waves...are the best.  [at what I'm not the least bit certain. Wink]

Those gawd-dammed beach boys and girls and their friggin' drug habits!!!  Of course the BBC would support THAT.  As long as they're not rotting their ivories out with that horrible Coca Cola...or even worse...Pepsi.  

Can you imagine if Marilyn had spilt Pepsi...or Dr. Pepper all over her blouse?

By the way...Lola is a guy. LOL
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 01:57:24 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: December 31, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »

What would you guys consider Brian's solo albums?

I understand something like Pet Sounds is considered a Beach Boys album, but we all know that it is essentially a solo album with Beach Boy vocals.

I'd say Pet Sounds, Smile, Love You, and Adult Child are. But what about albums like Today, SD(ASN), Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, and Friends?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: December 31, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »

I don't consider anything released as the Beach Boys to be BW solo. Doesn't matter to me whether BW wrote 25, 50, 75, or 90% of it, if it has the band singing (or playing) and it's credited to the Beach Boys, it's the Beach Boys.

Other than the technical difference, I think Smile Sessions v BWPS shows why. It's a vocal group. Their voices, their group.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »

I don't consider anything released as the Beach Boys to be BW solo. Doesn't matter to me whether BW wrote 25, 50, 75, or 90% of it, if it has the band singing (or playing) and it's credited to the Beach Boys, it's the Beach Boys.

Other than the technical difference, I think Smile Sessions v BWPS shows why. It's a vocal group. Their voices, their group.

Definitely a fair point, makes a lot of sense.

I guess I shouldn't word it as "solo albums", but I guess I mean, which albums are considered mainly written and produced by Brian? Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, and Friends are all in question because of the infamous "Produced by The Beach Boys" label.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: December 31, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

Definitely a fair point, makes a lot of sense.

I guess I shouldn't word it as "solo albums", but I guess I mean, which albums are considered mainly written and produced by Brian? Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, and Friends are all in question because of the infamous "Produced by The Beach Boys" label.

I can see your producing question, but 95% of the writing is Brian so thats a slam dunk

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: December 31, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »

What would you guys consider Brian's solo albums?

I understand something like Pet Sounds is considered a Beach Boys album, but we all know that it is essentially a solo album with Beach Boy vocals.

I'd say Pet Sounds, Smile, Love You, and Adult Child are. But what about albums like Today, SD(ASN), Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, and Friends?

:| wat

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: January 01, 2015, 04:45:26 AM »

Who arranged the vocals on the songs "Make it Big", "Somewhere near Japan", and "Still Cruisin'"?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: January 01, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

Who arranged the vocals on the songs "Make it Big", "Somewhere near Japan", and "Still Cruisin'"?

Probably Terry Melcher for all three.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5340 on: January 01, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »

Carole Kaye told me she did it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: January 02, 2015, 04:08:44 AM »

This doesn't merit a thread in any way, shape or form...but a response or 2 would be appreciated.  Probably the UK contingent could answer with a degree of experience.

If memory serves...Ray and the kinky boys had to vacate a N. American tour for a moment in order to fly home and replace "tastes just like Coca Cola"...with "cherry cola".  They then flew back to resume the tour and the BBC began to play 'Lola'.

Coca Cola and Coke are BOTH registered trademarks.  The BBC didn't play songs with references to actual products as that was construed to be advertising.

QUESTION???  Did the BBC play All Summer Long at any point?  Did Brian's wife have to spill "coco over her blouse"?

Fyi, heroin="white horse". The horse on ASL is colorless.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:11:48 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: January 02, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »

This doesn't merit a thread in any way, shape or form...but a response or 2 would be appreciated.  Probably the UK contingent could answer with a degree of experience.

If memory serves...Ray and the kinky boys had to vacate a N. American tour for a moment in order to fly home and replace "tastes just like Coca Cola"...with "cherry cola".  They then flew back to resume the tour and the BBC began to play 'Lola'.

Coca Cola and Coke are BOTH registered trademarks.  The BBC didn't play songs with references to actual products as that was construed to be advertising.

QUESTION???  Did the BBC play All Summer Long at any point?  Did Brian's wife have to spill "coco over her blouse"?

Fyi, heroin="white horse". The horse on ASL is colorless.

FYI, no.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5343 on: January 02, 2015, 11:06:58 PM »

They got away with it because even though it was a UK single A side in March 1965, it wouldn't have been played on the BBC anyway. Pirate radio, for sure.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:11:23 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: January 02, 2015, 11:31:46 PM »

Aye, there'd be no poptastic hit spinning Radio 1 at that time. Did the Beeb have a pop music station at that stage?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5345 on: January 02, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »

Nope, none to speak of.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: January 03, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »

FYI, no.
Whatevs. It's an awful idea to suggest that "All Summer Long" - an ultimate summer anthem - can have drug-related lyrics. So I'm with bgas on here.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: January 03, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

Recently I've heard quite a bit of Kate Bush and wondered what a duet (musically rather than vocally) with Brian would turn out like. Two great musical geniuses, both in their prime at a very young age and very competent at writing classics. It might not work now they're a lot older but I wondered whether you guys think it would have been a match made in heaven or an utter disaster?

They must have been on the same wavelength on this song I just discovered. Does the start remind you of anything.....?

http://youtu.be/G1vOHrrn7Ns
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: January 03, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

Well, maybe the fact that "coke" is often used as a generic term for any cola soft drink helped the case. Coca Cola, on the other hand, is definitely a brand.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: January 05, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »

Whatevs. It's an awful idea to suggest that "All Summer Long" - an ultimate summer anthem - can have drug-related lyrics. So I'm with bgas on here.

Hay, I was just kidding about that.

Well, maybe the fact that "coke" is often used as a generic term for any cola soft drink helped the case. Coca Cola, on the other hand, is definitely a brand.

Yeah, maybe if you're from CHATTANOOGA OR SOMETHING

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx