gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 03:41:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Trading Cards !!  (Read 73454 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »

Since these new cards, in fact every new card pack sold, are sold in those shrink-wrapped and sealed packs, it's all but impossible to do the old dealer trick of opening and ironing the "wax pack" closed again after removing the valuable cards. But without any direct evidence or "secrets" to speak of, I'm still thinking there may be some way in the supply chain to identify possibly which runs of the cases, boxes, then packs of cards may be holding the real valuables versus the commons. If people are selling what's being called "hot packs" online, how do they know for sure the pack is "hot"? And how did they get those removed from the normal case of cards which were to go to the retailers for store displays?

There's that part of the chain which I as a kid collecting B-Ball cards had no clue about how it worked. You'd have the cases coming from the factory, shipped out. You'd have those cases perhaps going to a warehouse, and then depending on location to a distributor. We had one nearby who would supply all of the retail shops like the ones I'd go to for my cards, both stores and hobby shops too. They'd order and buy so many boxes which were the ones I'd get access to.

What I didn't realize was just how many interests we'd call "dealers" had access to those cases and boxes before they even hit the retail shelves to be bought as individual packs. And looking back, it was unusual to buy many packs and not get any of the hot "rookie cards" or the other valuables, while you'd go to a trade show and see very expensive sealed cello and rack-packs featuring the most expensive cards of the set staring at you through the cellophane. I thought at the time "How did THEY get that pack???" after I'd be at a retail shop and never see anything at all close to that kind of "hot pack" before hot-pack was even a term.

So I thought there was something up. And like the wax-pack debacles, it just felt like I wasn't getting a fair shake, and my access to the good cards was through paying a dealer his inflated price versus buying a retail pack and getting lucky in finding those good cards.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort with these BB's cards and packs, but in a hobby (and industry) that was fraught with collusion, inside deals, artificially inflated demands and values, and a general sense of smarminess among the bigger-money dealers, I wouldn't doubt there's a production or shipping code that can be cracked even before the packs of cards reach your local Target store for purchase. And as you see Ebay full of offers for the really good cards that you might buy a full case on your own initiative and never see, was it a total act of randomness and good luck that put those really special cards into the hands of the bigger hobby dealers versus someone at Target buying a few packs?

But I digress...as I said it's a fun pursuit, it's fun opening the packs, I used to enjoy the hobby, but it's not overall a hobby that brokers itself on goodwill and honesty. And that's not suggesting anything about these cards, but I'm just on the soapbox venting for a bit here. Old wounds, and all of that... Grin

All good points, tho!  I'm by no means an expert on these cards, as I've only bougten 7 packs; but 7 without finding anything makes me suspicious. as someone else pointed out, I wonder if the packs they're selling on Ebay are really Hot. It's really difficult to follow eachj and everyone to see if the feedback justifies the contents. It's hard for me to believe that these sellers would be selling un-opened packs guaranteeing auotographs, for starting bids of 99 cents, when some autographed cards are selling for $99 !!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »

If anybody finds one of the David Marks autographed cards, I'll gladly offer $150 for it. 
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »

and if some e-bay scammer is watching our site, you'll get it quick...  Just sayin', if it's true they can tell which packs have "special" cards, we'll know.
Note to Mikie,  You are one of the few folks here I know that lives in an area where there are still many retail shops (the Bay area).  Is there any promo stuff around?  Like maybe something for the new Beatles release?  You know, something we might care about.  I'm going to drive over to Rhino next week and look into this a bit more.  If anyone was getting stuff here in upstate NY, that would be the place.  They may even have the BB cards.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

You're right about being a new fan and the record store thrill. I really am jealous of that experience, as being a newer fan as of 2000. I do get a thrill when going to my usual record/antique stores and looking for what Beach Boys products are available, but it's def not the same as the experiences older fans have.

The whole record store promo items, that sounds like a new thread that should happen unless one has already been started. All I have, that was given to me, is the front cover posters for the LA album. It's 6 different posters of each postcard on the front cover- LA, Beach Boys sign, Lady Lynda, Here Comes the Night, Sumahama, and Full Sail.

Anyone have those? I know LA was promoted like no other album, promo records, tshirts, frisbees, and so on...so they might not be worth much, but to quote Boba Fett: "it's (he's) worth a lot to me."

You should start the thread, and get Mikie to post pics of all his stuff as a starting point!  

I have one of those. And quite a few other posters and ads and frisbees and buttons and other stuff promoting 15 Big Ones. There's a 4' x 4' poster among others. Also have a "Love You" mobile (same size as the 15 Big Ones) and a 4' x 4' of that album among other posters and other sh*t. It helped to kiss the asses of people working at the record stores or knowing retailers at the record swap meets. Warners didn't hold back on their promotion of the Beach Boys records in the 70's. A lot of in-store paper items and other promotional stuff. Same with the CBS/Caribou records.
I have those. In addition to a promo set of 6 actual postcards from the L.A. Light album cover. Also have the 4ft. by 4ft. poster of L.A. Light.

But I'm curious: The two of you are saying there are individual posters for each postcard? I don't remember seeing anything except the posters of the front cover.
 And there were 9 postcards, not 6( you probably just typed 6 instead of 9 by mistake) 

Haven't looked at them in years, Bgas.  Just remember having the complete set of postcards, however many there are.  Also have an L.A. Light vinyl picture disc.

And to be clear. I am also unaware of posters for each picture. Never seen any of those before. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »

You're right about being a new fan and the record store thrill. I really am jealous of that experience, as being a newer fan as of 2000. I do get a thrill when going to my usual record/antique stores and looking for what Beach Boys products are available, but it's def not the same as the experiences older fans have.

The whole record store promo items, that sounds like a new thread that should happen unless one has already been started. All I have, that was given to me, is the front cover posters for the LA album. It's 6 different posters of each postcard on the front cover- LA, Beach Boys sign, Lady Lynda, Here Comes the Night, Sumahama, and Full Sail.

Anyone have those? I know LA was promoted like no other album, promo records, tshirts, frisbees, and so on...so they might not be worth much, but to quote Boba Fett: "it's (he's) worth a lot to me."

You should start the thread, and get Mikie to post pics of all his stuff as a starting point!  

I have one of those. And quite a few other posters and ads and frisbees and buttons and other stuff promoting 15 Big Ones. There's a 4' x 4' poster among others. Also have a "Love You" mobile (same size as the 15 Big Ones) and a 4' x 4' of that album among other posters and other sh*t. It helped to kiss the asses of people working at the record stores or knowing retailers at the record swap meets. Warners didn't hold back on their promotion of the Beach Boys records in the 70's. A lot of in-store paper items and other promotional stuff. Same with the CBS/Caribou records.
I have those. In addition to a promo set of 6 actual postcards from the L.A. Light album cover. Also have the 4ft. by 4ft. poster of L.A. Light.

But I'm curious: The two of you are saying there are individual posters for each postcard? I don't remember seeing anything except the posters of the front cover.
 And there were 9 postcards, not 6( you probably just typed 6 instead of 9 by mistake)  

Haven't looked at them in years, Bgas.  Just remember having the complete set of postcards, however many there are.  Also have an L.A. Light vinyl picture disc.

And to be clear. I am also unaware of posters for each picture. Never seen any of those before.  

Thanxx Mikie, that clears it for me from your end!  
So, back to you punkinhead; are you saying you have individual posters fro each postcard? Never heard of anything like that as a promo item. definitely not at the time of release.  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:38:21 PM by bgas » Logged

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2013, 01:32:24 PM »

I think Ill do a BB  trading card webpage this weekend. Just something simple to provide a resource for those that want to see without having to purchase.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »

Haven't looked at them in years, Bgas.  Just remember having the complete set of postcards, however many there are.  Also have an L.A. Light vinyl picture disc.

Thanxx Mikie, that clears it for me from your end! 
So, back to you punkinhead; are you saying you have individual posters fro each postcard? Never heard of anything like that as a promo item. definitely not at the time of release. 

Here's pics of the front and back of the cards I have( and the mailing envelope they came in); not certain how easy it will be to read the back side of each card.... 

It's curious that Full Sail, Goin' South, and Angel Come Home (all Carl songs, incidentally) weren't represented.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »

It's curious that Full Sail, Goin' South, and Angel Come Home (all Carl songs, incidentally) weren't represented.

Maybe there were really supposed to be 12?  I've never seen any other than the 9 I have, but I guess that doesn't mean they're not out there; mcourse I have two sets from widely separate places suggesting otherwise. 
Perhaps Carl didn't want his represented in this manner? 

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »

Just a little FYI - The printing plates are so thin/light that a pack containing 7 cards and a plate...weighs exactly the same as 8 cards (.06)

So you are not going to find a Plate by weighing a pack.  Roll Eyes

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2013, 08:51:44 AM »

I'll scan some of the cards and post them here. Check back for updates.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2013, 08:54:30 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:54 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »

Comments, anyone? I think they did a really nice job with these cards. I'll post another batch later.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2013, 09:37:57 AM »

Thanks for what you've uploaded, loving what I'm seeing so far!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx