gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 01:18:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reviewing Adult/Child as an actual Beach Boys album  (Read 62547 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »

I love Lines, beginning to end. I think that whole Adult Child thing is pretty great, with a couple exceptions. Fascinating piece of work.

Exceptions, eh? do tell. personally I think On Broadway is pretty weak. 

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2012, 07:37:14 AM »

I love Lines, beginning to end. I think that whole Adult Child thing is pretty great, with a couple exceptions. Fascinating piece of work.

Exceptions, eh? do tell. personally I think On Broadway is pretty weak. 

For me, it is Hey Little Tomboy that is the great offender. Then H.E.L.P., which wasn't good enough to be on yet another unreleased album. The two weakest after that are On Broadway and Shortnin' Bread. But the other 8 tracks, those are worth standing by.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55:31 AM »

Carl sounds fine (albeit not great, as he usually was) if you put the song in its proper speed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:34:17 AM by stamosluvr69 » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2012, 01:16:45 AM »

Carl sounds fine (albeit not great, as he usually was) if you speed the song up to its proper speed.

Yup, play back at 48kHz.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2012, 04:33:41 AM »

I'm a little nervous to say that I do like "Little Tomboy". I don't suffer any mental disorders. I just like the song but I hate the lyrics.
What "mental disorders"? I don't see the connection between liking some song that nobody tends to like & having mental illness. Sorry, but I had to say it. Btw, I like Hey Little Tomboy too. And am sure there's nothing wrong with my head/mind.

The problem with 'Tomboy' is that it's a fairly inoffensive tune paired with utterly insane, borderline illegal lyrics about teaching young girls to be women, if you know what I mean. As a song, it's fairly pedestrian, but those lyrics are the dealbreaker for everybody.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »

Anyone prefer the LA version of Shortenin' Bread?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2013, 12:34:32 AM »

Could never get my heard around it much, even back in '79 when I was young and open-minded.

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »

Late coming to this thread but the one word that strikes me about Adult/Child is 'unreleasable'. There are some good songs here and there but they don't fit together at all. It's a shame that Brian lost interest in the big band theme and the album was filled with whatever other songs were lying around.

It's Trying to Say and Lines would be decent contenders for the box set though.

New Album was much worse as Brian gave up even earlier and chucked 8 old songs onto it.

The early version of My Diane would be nice for MiC though.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2013, 05:55:44 AM »

I love how Carl sings and yells in the AC version.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »

Late coming to this thread but the one word that strikes me about Adult/Child is 'unreleasable'. There are some good songs here and there but they don't fit together at all. It's a shame that Brian lost interest in the big band theme and the album was filled with whatever other songs were lying around.

New Album was much worse as Brian gave up even earlier and chucked 8 old songs onto it.

The Good Vibrations box set had two unreleased songs from Adult/Child, so I'm hoping there will be some more on Made in California.  My two picks would be "Life is for the Living" and "It's Trying to Say."  I agree that a full-fledged release of the album in its entirety is unlikely.  It's a shame, though, since I'm not sure it would have sold any more poorly than M.I.U. and is a much better album musically, in spite of its weaknesses.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2013, 12:41:04 PM »

Adult Child is a real lost classic, the true follow up to Love You.  It would have been a great record (which would have bombed commercially, i'm sure).  I have a vinyl boot and it seems the record was completed and ready to go (sequenced w/ the correct fades, etc).  

Also have one of those, and agree with your comments. i love it with all its rough spots and quirkiness.  First heard some cuts from it at the first fan convention in Oakland that Les Chan put together in 1982, particularly Life Is For The Living, and simply had to have it, which I finally did a couple of years later.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »

The Good Vibrations box set had two unreleased songs from Adult/Child, so I'm hoping there will be some more on Made in California.  My two picks would be "Life is for the Living" and "It's Trying to Say."  I agree that a full-fledged release of the album in its entirety is unlikely.  It's a shame, though, since I'm not sure it would have sold any more poorly than M.I.U. and is a much better album musically, in spite of its weaknesses.

I think it would've been a good idea back in 1978 for  them to say: " hey, neither of these albums are particularly strong, but we've got some good material from both. Why don't we just combine them like we did on 20/20 and maybe it can turn out alright?"

Who knows, perhaps that could've given more critical success if not commerical. I'm pretty sure Carl and Dennis advocated this move but were overrun by Mike and Al...
Nicko1234
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »

I think it would've been a good idea back in 1978 for  them to say: " hey, neither of these albums are particularly strong, but we've got some good material from both. Why don't we just combine them like we did on 20/20 and maybe it can turn out alright?"

Who knows, perhaps that could've given more critical success if not commerical. I'm pretty sure Carl and Dennis advocated this move but were overrun by Mike and Al...

They did that with Hey Little Tomboy.  The only song they considered good enough to take from New Album to Adult/Child to MIU.  Cheesy Considering the state of the group at the time, if they had taken any more songs from Adult/Child then they probably would have picked On Broadway...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »

The groups taste around that time was certainly questionable, so it's not surprising. A smart man would have put Its Over Now and Still I Dream Of It on any Beach Boys record and the critics faith in BW would have been restored. Instead, MIU had Belles Of Paris.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »

I recently went back and started watching the first season of SNL on netflix. A lot of the musicians playing around that time seemed to have a similar earthy rugged vibe as 15 Big Ones, Love You and Adult Child around that time. Brian's undergroomed look may not have stuck out back then as much as today.

I wasn't born until 1977, so I don't remember. But today, I am considered undergroomed, but might be one of the more well groomed of the 1970s.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »

I love how Carl sings and yells in the AC version.
I love everything about the A/C version of "Shortenin' Bread."  Thing rocks Sofa King much!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:19:07 PM by Generation42 » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »

It's a nice little oddity, deserves to be released in my opinion. For me the only mediocre songs on there are Lines, On Broadway, and maybe HELP Is On The Way. Everything else is fine (yes, even Hey Little Tomboy, as goshdarn creepy as it is). If I had to choose I'd say Love You is better, but this isn't far behind at all.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2013, 03:40:12 AM »

Lines is a wonderful slice of life song.  I like it. Bit like Busy Doin' Nothing. Has a feel of Love You about it too.

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:01 AM »

I don't think there is any chance of this album being released (except for in chunks) and it's a shame that instead of the box set that we aren't getting the 1970s albums released with bonus tracks (as happened with BW88 yonks ago). Love You with some demos and the best songs from this and New Album would have been a really interesting release.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »

Lines is a wonderful slice of life song.  I like it. Bit like Busy Doin' Nothing. Has a feel of Love You about it too.
It isn't bad, but not as good as some of the other songs on the album (in my opinion!). Though I don't at all hear Busy Doin' Nothing, and I love that song to bits. On Broadway is definitely underwhelming though... that's probably the weakest on the album.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »

It isn't bad, but not as good as some of the other songs on the album (in my opinion!). Though I don't at all hear Busy Doin' Nothing, and I love that song to bits. On Broadway is definitely underwhelming though... that's probably the weakest on the album.

With some more development it could've been the latter days "Busy Doin' Nothing", I like the verses but I feel the "he's gonna tell her, she's gonna tell him to" part isn't that pretty to hear and is rather disappointing considering the sense of a buildup one gets from the verses.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »

It's also totally BW for the time, ie crazy.

I do hope it makes on the boxset though, it's one of the better A/C songs, those verse chords are classic BW. Also Baseball and Marilyn Rovell need to make it on there (the latter not in the running, but I always see it as contemporary)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »

"Busy Doin' Nothin'" & "Lines" = apples & oranges.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:35:30 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »

Lines is a wonderful slice of life song. I like it. Bit like Busy Doin' Nothin'. Has a feel of Love You about it too.
I don't hear Busy Doin' Nothin' in Lines too. Regarding the "the weakest track on A/C" talk, I think that refers to Shortenin' Bread (L.A. v-n is much better imo). I'm also not so keen on Deep Purple which is too slow & maudlin for my taste.
I like those two, though I will admit I can't decide whether I prefer the AC or LA version of Shortenin' Bread.

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »

I think Life Is For the Living is a surefire bet for MiC. It was in the Brian Wilson Songwriter 1969-1982 documentary, sounding very nice, so they had to have remastered it at some point leading up to the anniversary and the box set. It was also the only unreleased song on either of the the two DVDs, so that has to speak for something, too.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx