gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 06:57:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Fun Soured By Mike Love's Score Settling - The New York Times  (Read 10207 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »

I think the reason Mike is still angry even after winning his lawsuit and living a life that most could only dream of, is that Brian will always be the hero and Mike the villain.  Fair or not.

That all makes sense. I'm just curious what in the world restarted his latest round of rage on the topic. My best guess is simply that he has had way less of a vested interest in making nice with Brian or anyone to do with Brian post-C50.

Is it really possible that Melinda makes Mike more angry about Murry? As in, just more people in Mike's mind who are around Brian and keep Brian from being what Mike thinks Brian should be?

Don't get me wrong, I understand why even a wrong that is righted is something people might not still get over. Or, sometimes we get over stuff but we might randomly remember something and be angry about it for a bit.

But I'm curious what the point of Mike's rage is now. There's nothing left that can be done. If the statue of limitations had run out and Mike couldn't sue for the songwriting credits or something, his sour grapes would make way more sense. I'm curious if the book gets around to Mike explaining *what in the world he wants anyone to do it about it now*.

I guess the idea is that he just wants people to know that someone else is the a**hole.

Very confident that aliens will visit NYC Thursday before that happens.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »

"That all makes sense. I'm just curious what in the world restarted his latest round of rage on the topic. My best guess is simply that he has had way less of a vested interest in making nice with Brian or anyone to do with Brian post-C50."

Why was Mike so angry the night he and the group were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  That was one of the crowning achievements of the group's career, totally deserved.  He should have been all smiles and happy that night and celebrated the achievement.  Instead, he goes off all angry and gives a ridiculous speech and embarrasses himself.  Go figure.     
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »

This thing of people taking turns to bring up a ML quote and proceeding to criticise the man is getting tiresome. And before anyone comes out with a "he brings it upon himself", everybody here, and most specially the moderators, is responsible for the seemingly unredeemable shitty turn this board has taken this last year.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:42:14 AM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 09:43:23 AM »

"That all makes sense. I'm just curious what in the world restarted his latest round of rage on the topic. My best guess is simply that he has had way less of a vested interest in making nice with Brian or anyone to do with Brian post-C50."

Why was Mike so angry the night he and the group were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  That was one of the crowning achievements of the group's career, totally deserved.  He should have been all smiles and happy that night and celebrated the achievement.  Instead, he goes off all angry and gives a ridiculous speech and embarrasses himself.  Go figure.     

Because, deep down, he is insecure enough to have wanted the props from the Beatles, Jagger, etc. Just like the hopelessly nerdy (in an uncharming way) kid trailing after the cool kids hoping to get their attention and approval. I think that night, whatever resentment he felt toward his cooler (and more successful) contemporaries became too much. Ergo, his RRHOF speech.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »

This thing of people taking turns to bring up a ML quote and proceeding to criticise the man is getting tiresome. And before anyone comes out with a "he brings it upon himself", everybody here, and most specially the moderators, is responsible for the seemingly unredeemable shitty turn this board has taken this last year.

Why are you still here?

And yes, he DOES bring it on himself! Only a fool would say otherwise.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »

I dunno. A thread about a Mike Love book is kinda going to be A LOT of taking Mike quotes and discussing them. Invariably some of that will be criticism.

If you don't like the whole "taking a Mike quote and criticizing him" thing, I'd suggest not reading threads on a book *written by Mike*.

There's really only two main angles on analyzing his book. It will either be a quick, broad review (like magazines will offer), or it will be a much more specific commentary on specific points or passages or comments.

Does Mike bring it upon himself? Well geez, he CHOSE to write a friggin' book. What does he want to happen? What does he think will happen? I'm not interested in a quick 5-minute "Good Morning America" press junket interview where the interviewer hits the same bullet points (rise to fame, Brian/drugs, Manson, and Mike "keeping the music alive").
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:49:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 09:55:10 AM »

I think I heard there's an opening on that "other board" where you'll be much happier. And...they have a Mega Mod.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 10:01:46 AM »

"This thing of people taking turns to bring up a ML quote and proceeding to criticise the man is getting tiresome. And before anyone comes out with a "he brings it upon himself", everybody here, and most specially the moderators, is responsible for the seemingly unredeemable shitty turn this board has taken this last year. "

I agree that sometimes the criticism is excessive and unfair, he wrote great lyrics and held the group together for years.  But the RnR Hall of Fame speech, he owns that and all the bricks thrown his way.  Unless you liked the speech?         
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »

well, "boasts and grudges": what could one expect but a true history of the man's feelings.  But this is the NYT; for you Brits, it's degenerated into a parody paper like your Guardian. JM hints that ML may be a Trump supporter!!! Oh no. The NYT has a campaign to elect HRC, and anything written by someone who is/was/could be tolerant of republican history and views must automatically become a demon, so JM has an axe to grind. Likely Mike does too. But, I wonder: is it true that Dennis let a Manson girl baby sit? Seems possible.  Is it true that Murry screwed ML out of money and credit? I think so, so some gripes and boast are just real.

Since the NYT is a Leftist propaganda rag, I'll choose to read the book for myself.

Hey professor, guess what....Huh

BENGHAZI!!!!!!

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »

Dude, thanks for that. Politics aside (I was being intentionally playful but also reckless with the topic, for which I beg pardon), let me get back on track:

At this point, it may be that the BB are each nearly allegorical: Mike has to be the villain and has to be bitter or else he ceases to be "Mike Love." It's a bit like asking a character named Sleep not to be tired. Brian can only be the fragile child genius. They are set in their ways not just by temperament but  and cultural history itself have created and now reified their personae.

Mike did once write that "as for the past, it's all behind us," but that was a fiction.

Also, of course, we live in a Rashomon world: Mike must see history with his own eyes, which does not mean objectively or fairly. If the goal is to find the truth, per se, we will wind up only finding a series of individual truths, each unique to the witness.

I will read Mike's book not to find the "truth" but to see how he feels about events he experiences. This is the point of reading one man's perspective. I will also continue to hope that the BB will all play together. I don't think that this book, or any particular assertion of dispute or personal perception of injustice, will determine the still unwritten final chapter of the BB history.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 08:44:56 AM »

well, "boasts and grudges": what could one expect but a true history of the man's feelings.  But this is the NYT; for you Brits, it's degenerated into a parody paper like your Guardian. JM hints that ML may be a Trump supporter!!! Oh no. The NYT has a campaign to elect HRC, and anything written by someone who is/was/could be tolerant of republican history and views must automatically become a demon, so JM has an axe to grind. Likely Mike does too. But, I wonder: is it true that Dennis let a Manson girl baby sit? Seems possible.  Is it true that Murry screwed ML out of money and credit? I think so, so some gripes and boast are just real.

Since the NYT is a Leftist propaganda rag, I'll choose to read the book for myself.

Hey professor, guess what....Huh

BENGHAZI!!!!!!

Good One SDJ - And, hey Professor, time for the Sandbox with this one.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »

'Mr. Love goes out of his way to diss Carl and ignore his contributions to the group, both musical and diplomatic, whenever he can."

Now I'm pissed off.

Now I'm really intrigued to actually read the book.  I actually searched for Carl using the online search tool on Amazon and I didn't see anything where Mike was dissing Carl.  What on earth could Mike dredge up about Carl?  Aside from drug use, obviously. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »

Why are you still here?

And yes, he DOES bring it on himself! Only a fool would say otherwise.

1)Good question

2) Exactly, and consider the source.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »

How did Dennis come to be choosing babysitters for Mike's kids anyway? Bonus points for answers that don't entail negligence on Mike's own part.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 03:52:51 PM »

That is a good question...I didn't think they were ever particularly close, so it does seem a bit odd

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 08:01:11 PM »

'Mr. Love goes out of his way to diss Carl and ignore his contributions to the group, both musical and diplomatic, whenever he can."

Now I'm pissed off.

Now I'm really intrigued to actually read the book.  I actually searched for Carl using the online search tool on Amazon and I didn't see anything where Mike was dissing Carl.  What on earth could Mike dredge up about Carl?  Aside from drug use, obviously. 
Well, if Mike has something bad to say about Carl, he will be the first.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »

Because, deep down, he is insecure enough to have wanted the props from the Beatles, Jagger, etc. Just like the hopelessly nerdy (in an uncharming way) kid trailing after the cool kids hoping to get their attention and approval. I think that night, whatever resentment he felt toward his cooler (and more successful) contemporaries became too much. Ergo, his RRHOF speech.

Roger Daltrey handled being in a similar situation to Mike with total grace. Of course, he did have the luck to be the sex appeal of the Who, whereas Mike had zero to negative sex appeal and of course Dennis was the sex appeal of the Beach Boys. I imagine that is part of why Mike hates Dennis so much.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »

Just a question why the name Autotune?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx