gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 03:47:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1414637 times)
egon spengler
« Reply #1500 on: June 04, 2011, 06:33:45 AM »

Is there a complete list somewhere of Smile song recordings and the compilations they appear on? It seems that the bulk of them are on SOT and Secret SMiLE, with the IIGS track on Psychadelic Sounds, IIGS/Barnyard demo on the EH soundtrack, some other H&V bits (the cantina takes, e.g.) on Heroes & Vibrations, and some other odds and ends on Vigotone.  Are there "outtakes" I'm missing if these are the compilations I'm listening to? (not that I'm listening to these, of course. I'm asking for a friend.)

Also, why is it that SOT has so much of what it has, but then is completely missing tunes like Surf's Up and Cabin Essence? I really just don't know the story of how these boots surfaced.

edit: to clarify, i'm not asking for the boots themselves -- just curious which ones have all the SMiLE outtakes, and where they all came from.  police

Anybody have any insight to share on these questions?

http://smilealbum.tripod.com/smprimer.html

thanks!
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 04, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »

The American Bandstand appearance can be found on YouTube.

sadly, not anymore (unless someone uploads it again). I had it on my channel, until it was blocked a couple of months ago.

I hope someone will and can put it on YT again... Wink Thx!!!
/B
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:14:53 AM by bsten » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 04, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZABFae6ak

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 04, 2011, 11:50:25 PM »

Thanks, but no music, interview only.

/B
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1504 on: June 04, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »

What are the backups that Brian is singing on "Let us go on this way" off of Love You? I'm working on a cover of it...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: June 05, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »

What are the backups that Brian is singing on "Let us go on this way" off of Love You? I'm working on a cover of it...
There is an acapella version out there that might be able to help, if you know where to look. Or so I'm told... Cool

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1506 on: June 05, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »

You me the "do me Lord/Oh do me Lord" ones ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »

I always heard them as "Dear Lord...Oh dear Lord".

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
egon spengler
« Reply #1508 on: June 05, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »

While we're on the "I'm working on a cover, what's _________?" subject, there's one instrument in the Cabin Essence tag that I need help IDing. It sounds almost like an owl hooting, or a blown bottle or something.  It comes in the same time as the "ah" bg vox, right at the beginning of the first "thresher" line.  Beardman's book doesn't list any instrument during these sessions that would make sense. Someone once suggested it might be a cuica, and it does sort of have that sound, but I've never heard one sustain notes that long or play that many distinct notes.

Any ideas?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 05, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »

Listening to the instrumental, it sounds like some sort of woodwind - it's playing the 'ba-ba-baaaaaa-ba-ba' line quite low, right? Maybe a bassoon or a clarinet.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1510 on: June 05, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »

This is more of a general "music industry" question: it looks like Dennis Wolfe is the "executive producer" of the Smile Sessions boxset. He also had a "compilation producer" credit on the Summer Love Songs CD. Google tells me his job is "Dir, A&R-Catalogue EMI Music NA".

Is it common for record companies' execs to get producer credit on releases of previously recorded material? What exactly do they do to deserve that? Do they really have a final say on the material and on the production?   Huh
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:30:10 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 05, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

This is more of a general "music industry" question: it looks like Dennis Wolfe is the "executive producer" of the Smile Sessions boxset. He also had a "compilation producer" credit on the Summer Love Songs CD. Google tells me his job is "Dir, A&R-Catalogue EMI Music NA".

Is it common for record companies' execs to get producer credit on releases of previously recorded material? What exactly do they do to deserve that? Do they really have a final say on the material and on the production?   Huh

If he's credited as "Executive Producer" then that's a little hazy and/or purely formal. Like Brian being credited as such on "MIU Album" or Mike Love on SIP and S&S. That's my guess anyway.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: June 05, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »

Yeah, he might have commissioned it. Or possibly talked to Alan & Mark on the prospect of stereo mixes, that sort of thing. I'm sure he wasn't behind the board!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1513 on: June 05, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »

Here's a question. Why the f~*ck is Brian singing Kokomo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZ5dEiZYCo

I know, it's Full House, but why?HuhHuh?
egon spengler
« Reply #1514 on: June 05, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »

Listening to the instrumental, it sounds like some sort of woodwind - it's playing the 'ba-ba-baaaaaa-ba-ba' line quite low, right? Maybe a bassoon or a clarinet.

yeah, that's the one -- i was thinking it might be a woodwind like you suggested (or maybe some sort of low flute), but it has a weird squeaky tone that i don't think fits. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: June 05, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »

Brian maybe showed up thinking they were going to do Kokomo "smiley smile" or "love you" style for a change. Grin
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:40:53 PM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 05, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »

yeah, that's the one -- i was thinking it might be a woodwind like you suggested (or maybe some sort of low flute), but it has a weird squeaky tone that i don't think fits. 

Always sounded like a low flute to me, but I would concur that it's probably some kind of woodwind instrument.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1517 on: June 05, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »

You me the "do me Lord/Oh do me Lord" ones ?

Yeah, that's it...thanks bro Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
egon spengler
« Reply #1518 on: June 05, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »

Always sounded like a low flute to me, but I would concur that it's probably some kind of woodwind instrument.

Actually after talking it out I googled "bass flute" (without knowing if such a thing exists), and realized that it's the contraption that Paul Mertens plays at live shows:

i then recorded the part on my regular flute and dropped it down an octave, and it sounds just right! now i just wonder who played it on Cabin Essence...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:46:02 PM by egon spengler » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 05, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »

Actually after talking it out I googled "bass flute" (without knowing if such a thing exists), and realized that it's the contraption that Paul Mertens plays at live shows:

i then recorded the part on my regular flute and dropped it down an octave, and it sounds just right! now i just wonder who played it on Cabin Essence...

Cool, can't wait to hear your cover - you're a braver man than I, that's for sure!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 05, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »

Get ready if there is a reunion, because he'll be singing it again next year. Chances are had it not been for Landy he would have sang on the original studio version.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
egon spengler
« Reply #1521 on: June 05, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »

Cool, can't wait to hear your cover - you're a braver man than I, that's for sure!

haha thanks -- it's shaping up nicely but i'm going to wait till i'm done with all of SMiLE before posting any. i've got a decent amount left to record but should be done in another month or 400 Grin

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 05, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »

What's the name of the marimba sounding instrument that comes in at about 1:37 in the song Pacific Ocean Blues? Marimba?   Embarrassed

I think it might be my favorite part of any song ever.

No mas, por favor.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 05, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »

I'm surprised his microphone wasn't turned off....he's the only one off, right? lyrically and in key?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 05, 2011, 06:26:11 PM »

I just came here to ask a question about that specific Full House episode.  Grin My question is, was that part of the episode taken at an actual concert? Or was it staged just for that Full House episode?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx