gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681048 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 11:26:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very worst Beach Boys related 'song' ever released  (Read 68784 times)
MBE
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »

"The Grammy" is  lame
Agreed
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

Forgot to add "Daddys Little Girl" Shocked

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »

'hey little tomboy' is a classic jam.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »

i agree, always enjoyed the tune.

Now Hey There Momma, there's a bad song!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 27, 2012, 06:11:28 AM »

I'm not questioning it's catchiness...just the creepy aspect to Love's vocals...he sounds like he's leering at some young high school girl.  I think Brian's original intentions were very innocent...and that comes across in his verse...but again, hearing Mike sing: "I'm gonna teach you to ki-i-is, it's gonna feel like thi-i-s" is creepy!  As I may have mentioned before...the "banter" at the end of the Adult/Child version is even creepier!  Glad that bit was cut before final release.

Again, it's a catchy song...and I've always liked it...but it just opens the door to some humor at the expense of Mr. Michael E. Love!  Wink

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03:09 AM »

My! What a wide ranging list of "worst" songs!
Seems the Beachboys have had as many really BAD songs as they've had GOOD songs!

While I have to agree much of Still Crusin, SIP and KTSA are weak or uninspired, and that about half of the solo LP cuts are weak or bad, I have to say I find some mid 70's stuff the worst.

Every Ones in Love With You
I Want to Pick You Up
Love is a Woman
Tomboy

I will not let these songs play through if another person is present Shocked
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »

My! What a wide ranging list of "worst" songs!
Seems the Beachboys have had as many really BAD songs as they've had GOOD songs!

While I have to agree much of Still Crusin, SIP and KTSA are weak or uninspired, and that about half of the solo LP cuts are weak or bad, I have to say I find some mid 70's stuff the worst.

Every Ones in Love With You
I Want to Pick You Up
Love is a Woman
Tomboy

I will not let these songs play through if another person is present Shocked
they had more weak songs then good songs but the songs that were good were unbelievably good Smiley ..some of their strongest songs wipe out most of the music to come out of the 20th and 21st century...easily
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »

Whenever I hear "Everyone's In Love With You" I picture that scene from that awful Beach Boys TV Movie where Milton Love comes to visit Mike and he's surrounded by flowers and on his all juice diet and just out of his mind on TM crap.  That scene always cracks me up!

A lot of the oldies on "15 Big Ones" are bad.  Except, of course, for "Just Once In My Life" which is awesome.  I particularily cannot stand "Blueberry Hill" nor do I really like "Rock 'n Roll Music" because I find the "rock, rock, rockin' and rollin'" backing vocals to be extremely annoying and Mike just isn't rockin' in general!

I'll mention it again because I hate it so much...but "Livin' With a Heartache" is really terrible.  It sounds like a song that Kenny Rogers or Alabama would have recorded circa 1980.  Come on, Carl...you couldn't find anyone better to write with than Randy "Stinkin'" Bachman?  Honestly?

You have tread carefully post "Holland" because there are way too embarassing moments...but there are also some really glorious moments...you just have to look for them.  Every post "Holland" LP has several "diamonds in the rough" where they knock it out of the park...but the consistency is gone.  Honestly, TWGMTR is probably the most consistent LP they have put out since 1972!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »

I dunno, man. I think Everyone's In Love With You is one of the highlights on 15 Big Ones. It's plaintative, and maybe a little dull. There isn't one cover song I actually like on 15 BO. The problem I have with them is that they simply aren't as good as the originals, or at least bring anything interesting into the picture. The Righteous Brothers' Just Once in My Life is a very powerful, emotional, gut-wrenching record, and the Beach Boys record just lays there, with it's plodding synth and drunk sounding Carl and Brian vocals. I think that sort of production lends itself to Brian's quirky originals on Love You, and his other compositions on 15 BO, but not when you're covering oldies.

Livin' With A Heartache is OK. Certainly not the worst on KTSA (I'm looking at you, School Days).

This thread isn't titled "The dulllest Beach Boys related 'song' ever released", so I'm wondering why I'm seeing things like "Oh Darlin'" being mentioned here. Not the best thing they recorded by any stretch of the imagination, but the worst??? Heck no.

I would probably go with Student Demonstration Time if I had to pick a worst. Or maybe something from SIP. Smart Girls is way too unintentionally funny to have that honor!  Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 27, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »

I really don't get all the Student Demonstration Time hatred. It seems like people hate it so much because in their reality Mike Love has no right to have ever attempted such a thing or to try and sing about something topical. Really? Well, he's in the Beach Boys are you aren't. It's a rockin track and his lead sounds cool and it was a stroke of pure sequencing genius to have it come on the heels of Disney Girls. And at least Mike had a sort of twisted point he was trying to make rather than just straightforward reportage ala Neil Young's Ohio (yes, an awesome song)! I happen to find smug, self satisfied, earnest, "cred worthy" hippie crap like Joni Mitchell's/CSN's "Woodstock" more offensive than a bald square Mike Love attempting to be cool. Funny thing is, for all he gets slammed for being "behind the times" and trying to be cool, he's actually telling the listener to STAY THE F! AWAY from a protest!!!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:50:21 PM by Erik H » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 27, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »

If a fan wasn't around when Student DT was released, then they haven't a clue how relevant the song was. Upon it's release in the Summer of '71, it broke through on FM radio. That alone was a major feat. The song was an instant "like" in many parts of the country. The Surf's Up album would not have been such smash without it.
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #311 on: July 27, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »

I Love Student Demonstration Time, I Don't see how people could hate it? I think it's one of there harder rocking songs and that's what I Love about it
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »

Don't have much love for Student Demonstration Time.  I'm iffy enough on the original, and Mike's nasally vocals and a fairly pedestrian bluesly performance don't help.  Realistically it's not the worst they ever did (a comparable song like Rock and Roll Music is worse), but on an album with such majestic highs I always find myself skipping it.  If I want the Beach Boys on a heavier rock song I'd rather go with something like It's About Time.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 27, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »

You're spot-on. Never ever had an ear trouble with SDT. Yeah, re-written lyrics aren't high-class for sure but for cripes sake we're talking about the band which is famous for their mellowness! Methinks Student DemoTime was good enough attempt at rock genre. No higher than Marcella but close second. How'er to each their own.      

Okay now, to me the worst BB song is Roller Skating Child. Why? I think no need for explanation.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

Okay now, to me the worst BB song is Roller Skating Child. Why? I think no need for explanation.
really? i actually always loved the melody...the subject is a bit strange(to say the least) but the vocals are awesome as well...one of the highlights of love you...
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »

I'd imagine if one is basing the song on (presumably) the creepy lyrics, you might as well just focus on Hey Little Tomboy.  That is, unless you have a problem with the actual performance.  I'd argue Roller Skating Child is more enjoyable musically.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »

Wow, it's like a Student Demonstration Time supporters group in here. I will add my voice to those that don't despise, and possibly even enjoy the song. I've never voiced this opinion since (besides the fact that I don't post that often!), it seems (or it did before) that there was a unanimous dislike of it. In many cases it was an intense dislike, which I could never understand. For me it's a noticeably better song than All I Want to Do (the 20/20 track).
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »

Can't Stop Thinking About American Girls. Mikes singing is really out of tune! Don't know if it was released though.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »

Wow, it's like a Student Demonstration Time supporters group in here. I will add my voice to those that don't despise, and possibly even enjoy the song. I've never voiced this opinion since (besides the fact that I don't post that often!), it seems (or it did before) that there was a unanimous dislike of it. In many cases it was an intense dislike, which I could never understand. For me it's a noticeably better song than All I Want to Do (the 20/20 track).
I don't know about that orange. That is most surely an apples and oranges comparison.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »

The problem with Living with a Heartache is that its like a million years long.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »

I don't know about that orange. That is most surely an apples and oranges comparison.
apples and orangessssssss (syd barrett voice)  Razz
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »

I like "Living with a heartache" and "Student Demonstration Time".

To me the worst BB song ever is...

you might guess...

... "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" (cringes).

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MBE
« Reply #322 on: July 31, 2012, 02:00:37 AM »

The problem with Living with a Heartache is that its like a million years long.
The 45 of it is good as it is cut by a minute. It honestly is a better record for it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »

Spriiiing Vacaaaation, Good Vibraaaation, E-Z money!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:48 AM »

Spriiiing Vacaaaation, Good Vibraaaation, E-Z money!

This has become one of my favorite songs off TWGMTR. Oddly enough, because I really disliked it at first and I didn't expect it to grow on me at all. Right now, however, it feels pretty similar to "That Same Song" or "He Come Down", both of which I love despite their cheesiness. In terms of both music AND lyrics I can picture BW having a blast listening back to the finished recording. After all this is the very same guy who wrote "The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx